BEST SOLOING ON OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY

The Rover

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

This happened a few times after 73 and some shows were simply embarrassing. 3/21/75 is one of those shows. Houston 77 is another one.

I'll give you Houston 77 (Bonzo singlehandedly saves that show imo).

But 3/21/75? Sorry. I respectfully disagree with you there. It's not a flawless show to be sure (Sick Again is a bit shaky, Page's guitar is low in the mix during Kashmir, and there are a couple of flubs in Trampled Underfoot), but for a 75 show, it's top notch. The Cuztard Pi matrix of that show has quickly become one of my top 10 favorite Zeppelin bootlegs. And this is coming from someone who generally dislikes the 75 tour. :lol:

I can't think of any other 75 soundboard which shows Page in better shape than this one. Even on Dazed his playing is electrifying and keeps the song from being boring. For 40 minutes, it flies by. And unlike other 75 shows, he doesn't seem to run out of energy by the end. I'm not going to argue that it's technically one of Page's best ever shows, but I'd say it's an "on" show by 75 standards.

I'm curious: what exactly do you find embarrassing about Page's playing there?

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

And nowhere between 70 and 73 did Page play an entire show where he simply sounded inebriated. This happened a few times after 73 and some shows were simply embarrassing. 3/21/75 is one of those shows. Houston 77 is another one. So I don't think it's "Nitpicking". It's just calling it like it is. I don't understand why people get so defensive over something so undeniable. 

Whoa....wait a minute. You really classify 3.21.75 as a disaster? Since I am not arguing 1977 Jimmy was as consistent and fluent as 1973 Jimmy, Houston '77 is not germane to this discussion.

But 3.21.75? 

It's clear we are listening for different aspects in Jimmy's playing if you think 3.21.75 is one of his worst shows. After I thought I could not get excited about another 1975 soundboard "Deus Ex Machina" restored my faith and has become one of my favourite soundboards ever.

It has my favourite "Dazed and Confused" from 1975. The "San Francisco" part is epic. Many times Jimmy and Bonham would not sync up together properly on the intro, but they nail it on 3.21.75. 

It is also one of the few times where the long solo after the bow segment has energy and verve all the way through...and they include the funky break often missing from the 1975 versions.

"Stairway to Heaven" is not only my favourite version from 1975 but one of my favourites ever.

His guitar is a bit low in the mix but that's standard for soundboards. But if you listen to the audience tape you can hear how good he sounds on "Kashmir" and "IMTOD", "TSRTS", and "Rain Song".

Other than 3.12.75, 3.21.75 is the 1975 concert I find most rewarding. Jimmy's playing sounds better and more together than the three closing nights at the L.A. Forum.

I guess we are just going to always disagree about this show.

Edited by Strider

• 3 years later...

Discovered Vancouver 73 tonight and holy shit does that solo smoke. So much so that I dug up this old thread. Like a lot of posters, I think that the 75 solo is more fully realized and interesting. Of those solos, 2-7-75, 2-12-75 and 5-25-75 are some favs off the top of my head. But if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Vienna 73. It just sounds magic to my ears. But this Vancouver version is no joke, and I could see myself having a different opinion a year from now.

21 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Discovered Vancouver 73 tonight and holy shit does that solo smoke. So much so that I dug up this old thread. Like a lot of posters, I think that the 75 solo is more fully realized and interesting. Of those solos, 2-7-75, 2-12-75 and 5-25-75 are some favs off the top of my head. But if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Vienna 73. It just sounds magic to my ears. But this Vancouver version is no joke, and I could see myself having a different opinion a year from now.

Vancouver '73 is another overlooked show (probably gets overshadowed by Seattle and the fact that it's so abbreviated from Plant getting spiked), but there's some characteristically great July '73 playing there.  (The Buffalo OTHAFA solo is also great.)  But overall I'd agree that the song really hit its peak in '75, especially the West Coast shows (2nd Long Beach, all Vancouver/Seattle shows, and the last night in LA).  For the first leg, the 2nd Nassau show (2-13) has an outstanding version.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Vancouver '73 is another overlooked show (probably gets overshadowed by Seattle and the fact that it's so abbreviated from Plant getting spiked), but there's some characteristically great July '73 playing there.  (The Buffalo OTHAFA solo is also great.)  But overall I'd agree that the song really hit its peak in '75, especially the West Coast shows (2nd Long Beach, all Vancouver/Seattle shows, and the last night in LA).  For the first leg, the 2nd Nassau show (2-13) has an outstanding version.

After just one listen, I love the Vancouver show. I have a list of "go-to" shows on my phone to help me keep track of everything, and Vancouver 73 is on that list now. I'm in the middle of re-listening to Detroit 7-12 right now and have a feeling that's gonna be a keeper as well. I'll have to check out the Buffalo 73 show, that's in the queue for sure.

Regarding 75 West coast solos, I'm with you on Long Beach 3-12 that's a really great one. LB 3-11 solo is no slouch, either.  I like San Diego 3-10 an awful lot as well and have a feeling it would be near or at the top of the list for 75 OTH solos if a soundboard ever comes out.

Edited by 1975NQ

Obviously difficult to pin down to one - but my ears are always perked during the 3/17/75 show - not just for the guitar solo but the interaction between Page and Bonzo.  Some epic "drum soloing" and call & response there.

14 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

After doing the Japan 72 nitpicks those solos are no joke. Page goes into shred mode in places.

Haven't listened to those shows in quite a while. I'll have to revisit them! From your nitpicks, it looks like 10-10-72 is a good one? I get into full-on geek mode with this shit (lookin for the gold), but hey we all need a hobby. The 10-2-72 and 10-9-72  (Stand By Me!) shows I listened to endlessly in high school so those 2 have some sentimental value.

1 hour ago, Reqx said:

Obviously difficult to pin down to one - but my ears are always perked during the 3/17/75 show - not just for the guitar solo but the interaction between Page and Bonzo.  Some epic "drum soloing" and call & response there.

Nice, I'll have to give that one a listen too. 3-17 is a show I've just skimmed over in the past, not listening too very often except for NQ. 

On 1/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Reqx said:

Thanks for putting the spotlight on this one. Gave it a listen over the weekend and love what Bonzo is doing - I didn't even hear it before. 

Cool avatar btw. Reminds me a little of the art of this guy named Matt Kindt - comic artist/writer.

Edited by 1975NQ

On 1/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

For the first leg, the 2nd Nassau show (2-13) has an outstanding version.

Not really crazy about the solo on this one, tbh. Some of it sounds ok, but other parts sound like aimless wandering. There are parts where he's playing random-sounding stuff, almost like he's wondering to himself: "hmmm, what to play next ..?" He actually does this a lot with the OTH solo in 75. It's real hit and miss, in keeping with the whole "hit and miss" aesthetic of that tour 😂  I like the MSG 2-7 and 2-12 solos because they sound more fluid, inspired and coherent, like there's some kind of plot involved with the solo.

I've also been listening to the solo from St Louis 2-16 today, and it's good! Bonzo is just incredible on this. It also doesn't hurt that the sound quality is stunning. Someone on YouTube remastered the original Liriodendron, and it sounds amazing.You can really hear Jonesy in the mix - it's a perfect sounding balance of all 3 of them imo.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2022 at 3:13 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ If you love bass, it's hard to top the Dallas & Vancouver soundboards from the '75 tour....

On 3/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, AchillesLastBand said:

Southampton 73/01/22 is way up there. If interested check out the "The Stereo Project" version of this show. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Indeed !  

• 9 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, AchillesLastBand said:

Southampton 73/01/22 is way up there. If interested check out the "The Stereo Project" version of this show. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

This is indeed a nice one! Jimmy's playing in January 73 is on par - and on some nights better - than the March 73 shows which tend to get more love on this forum. I've been listening to those January second leg shows a lot lately, and now have some new favorites for OTH, at least as far the solo goes. Oxford, Aberdeen and Edinburgh are my personal favorites from that leg. I would put any of those solos up against Vienna 73 (which I've loved for many years). Just a great period of time for both Jimmy and Bonzo. 

I should also add that since stating my opinions above a year ago, my preference has changed from 75 to 73. While 75 solos are more fully realized and - to an extent - more interesting from a creative perspective, the 73 OTH solos are more fluid, focused and fun to listen to. When listening to 75 solos, I'm almost holding my breath like "please Jimmy keep it together" whereas in 73 I never do that.   

Edited by 1975NQ