Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

On 5/8/2017 at 5:20 AM, Jespin said:

Hi Steve. Apologies if this had been asked before but what happened to Jimmy Page's handprints that were outside the Virgin Megastore in London?  Are they still there or were they sold on after the Megastore closed?

Hello. Great question. I'll try to find out where they are now. Highly unlikely they are still there.

2 hours ago, JeffLZ said:

What was the real reason Robert split with Phil Johnstone?

There is probably more than one reason, but the most obvious (and diplomatic) is the Page/Plant collaboration beginning in Spring 1994. 

The handprints and autographed signatures that were located at the Virgin Megastore in Piccadilly have not been there for quite a long time now, I  don't recall seeing them after 2007.

I have a Trivia Question I'd like to get an answer to. I know that Zep's first US Concert date was Dec. 26, 1968 in Denver. What date did they arrive in the US? Did they fly into NYC first? Then onto Denver by plane. Commercial or private??

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

I have a Trivia Question I'd like to get an answer to. I know that Zep's first US Concert date was Dec. 26, 1968 in Denver. What date did they arrive in the US? Did they fly into NYC first? Then onto Denver by plane. Commercial or private??

Per the official timeline: "Robert Plant, John Bonham and Jimmy Page travel to Los Angeles on December 23rd, while John Paul Jones meets up with them at the Denver show. Peter Grant would join them in San Francisco a couple of weeks later at the Fillmore West."

I have some additional details at home, to include JPJ's whereabouts on Christmas 1968, which I will post later. 

^^^...At home with my notes now...

I show they all departed Heathrow on a commercial flight Sunday, December 22, 1968.

When they landed at Newark International Airport JPJ and his wife Mo left the entourage to enjoy a few days off and the Christmas holiday with singer Madeline Bell's parents. (He rejoined them in Denver on December 26th).

Page, Plant, and Bonham continued on to Los Angeles, arriving December 23rd 1968. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Peter Grant would join them in San Francisco a couple of weeks later at the Fillmore West.

Ive always been under the impression PG never made it to the States for this tour. . Was this tour completely mapped out with them opening for various acts or was it a little more flying by the seat of our pants after the first couple weeks with the Fudge? They didnt open up for VF on the East Coast did they?

Edited by Bozoso73

2 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Ive always been under the impression PG never made it to the States for this tour. . Was this tour completely mapped out with them opening for various acts or was it a little more flying by the seat of our pants after the first couple weeks with the Fudge? They didnt open up for VF on the East Coast did they?

Peter joined them in San Francisco on January 9th and was at all the remaining shows on this tour from that point onward.

1/15/69 Iowa City/University of Iowa - Iowa Memorial Union (Main Lounge) was an added date booked to replace a cancelled Count Basie concert.

1/20/69 Wheaton/Wheaton Youth Center is allegedly an unadvertised date played for $250, possibly as a favor from Grant to the local promoter.

2/3-6/69 Manhattan/Steve Paul's Scene were cancelled so Bonzo could return to UK to attend to Jason who received stitches to his head.

They did not open for Vanilla Fudge on the East Coast, but were billed with them again in Chicago for two dates on 2/7-8/69. 

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

^^^...At home with my notes now...

I show they all departed Heathrow on a commercial flight Sunday, December 22, 1968.

When they landed at Newark International Airport JPJ and his wife Mo left the entourage to enjoy a few days off and the Christmas holiday with singer Madeline Bell's parents. (He rejoined them in Denver on December 26th).

Page, Plant, and Bonham continued on to Los Angeles, arriving December 23rd 1968. 

I'm actually very interested in how the Zeppelin machine moved about from gig to gig, the band, and the roadies. I think a book detailing the behind the scenes movements, of the band, and the road crew would sell a few copies. I'd certainly love reading about stuff like that ! The band has such mythology about it, that such details would help me to imagine being their on tour with them. And that's the kind of fantasies I like to imagine. I'll leave the mud sharks to them...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, The Rover said:

I'm actually very interested in how the Zeppelin machine moved about from gig to gig, the band, and the roadies. I think a book detailing the behind the scenes movements, of the band, and the road crew would sell a few copies. I'd certainly love reading about stuff like that ! The band has such mythology about it, that such details would help me to imagine being their on tour with them. And that's the kind of fantasies I like to imagine. I'll leave the mud sharks to them...

Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole essentially serves this purpose. If you want to get into the minutiae of specific dates then forums and threads such as this are the best bet. 

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole essentially serves this purpose. If you want to get into the minutiae of specific dates then forums and threads such as this are the best bet. 

Yes, I want the minutiae, but just for Led Zeppelin. I could care less about any other band's movements on the road. I read Mr. Cole's book, but I guess I just didn't get enough info, particularly for their US tours. But it's been awhile, so maybe I need to take another look at it...

Steve, wikipedia has just had added a gig supposed played in 17/10/68 at Club Lafayette in Wolverhampton. This doesn't appear on the timeline on this site. 

Is there any info in your notes about this mythical gig? I don't remember seeing it in any of the obvious sources e.g. Dave Lewis' book of Zeppelin shows etc.

57 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Steve, wikipedia has just had added a gig supposed played in 17/10/68 at Club Lafayette in Wolverhampton. This doesn't appear on the timeline on this site. 

Is there any info in your notes about this mythical gig? I don't remember seeing it in any of the obvious sources e.g. Dave Lewis' book of Zeppelin shows etc.

A good rule of thumb is if there is no proof whatsoever to substantiate a gig claim it's bogus. Neither Sam nor I, among others, has ever heard of it. Highly unlikely they would've played their second UK date in Robert's back yard, so to speak, yet he has never mentioned it. 

I figured as much. There are a couple of dates at the Lafayette in 1969 on the official gig timeline, so I guess it's possible it was scheduled but postponed to the following year to allow more time to rehearse for the Marquee date the following evening.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

I guess it's possible it was scheduled but postponed to the following year to allow more time to rehearse for the Marquee date the following evening.

Without any proof whatsoever to substantiate the claim they may as well suggest Led Zeppelin played on Mars that date.

Hi steve, a little question, I guess the answer is "no" .. Did any member of Led Zep met with any member of Deep Purple ? thank you for your help as always

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Klape said:

Hi steve, a little question, I guess the answer is "no" .. Did any member of Led Zep met with any member of Deep Purple ? thank you for your help as always

Richie Blackmore first met Jimmy when Jimmy was with Neil Christian and The Crusaders. Ultimately, both became session guitarists.

"That’s when I first met Pagey. I was 16 years old".

--Richie Blackmore

January 23, 1976...Robert & Bonzo attended a Deep Purple concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Bonzo reportedly ran onstage at the end of the concert and addressed the audience…"we've got a new album out soon".

December 1982...Robert and David Coverdale were  among several attendees at drummer Cozy Powell's 35th Birthday Party held at a hotel following the Whitesnake gig. David has said Robert has enjoyed his hospitality many times...unsure if any of those occasions were during David's stint with Deep Purple. 

November 16, 2004...Jimmy attended a Deep Purple concert at The Brighton Centre in Brighton, England. He was accompanied by Ross Halfin and their driver, Barry.

Picture of Robert with Ronnie James Dio and radio host Eddie Trunk.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=UqJWtbaL&id=EB28FF0C380E180639C8D7C86B289E9517FA42A6&thid=OIP.UqJWtbaL2uR-rXD0QCq_4QEsDh&q=jimmy+page+richie+blackmore+sessions&simid=608029983180524472&selectedIndex=6&ajaxhist=0

May 23, 2006...Jon Lord presenting Led Zeppelin their Polar Music Prize Lifetime Achivement Award in Stockholm, Sweden .

Edited by SteveAJones

Thank you so much Steve ! that's funny if Bonham really did went onstage haha !

I've got another little one for you, I believe Led Zeppelin were supposed to perform in Marseille (France) and Lille in 1973, but never did because of fan being very agitated. Is there any Newspaper about that ? I would have love to say Led Zeppelin perform in the city I live in (Marseille). Were they supposed to perform in the Velodrome stadium ?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Klape said:

John Bonham was good friends with Glenn Hughes, I believe up until an incident involving Pat in the late 70s when they fell out. If you Google 'Glenn Hughes John Bonham' there's a picture of them together in 1976, looks like they're up to no good in a toilet or something (sorry, I can't seem to post it on here).

I also attended an Ian Paice drum clinic in Edinburgh in 1997 & someone in the crowd asked him about John Bonham, he said they were on good terms.
Edited by Mook

5 hours ago, Klape said:

Thank you so much Steve ! that's funny if Bonham really did went onstage haha !

I've got another little one for you, I believe Led Zeppelin were supposed to perform in Marseille (France) and Lille in 1973, but never did because of fan being very agitated. Is there any Newspaper about that ? I would have love to say Led Zeppelin perform in the city I live in (Marseille). Were they supposed to perform in the Velodrome stadium ?

Marseille (Thu, Mar 28, 1973) & Lille (Sat, March 31, 1973) were both cancelled on March 28th 1973 following transportation and security concerns (fan riots) in Lyon & Nancy, and the band returned to England. I show the band was actually arrested in Nancy (there were a total of ten people in the promoter's Volvo and they were all taken into custody and brought to the police station). L'est Republican published a negative review of the Nancy concert, but I've yet to find any press coverage on the cancellations nor confirmation of the venues. However, they were almost certainly the Stade Velodrome (Marseille) and the Palais des Sports (Lille).

^^^

Thanks for that clipping, Sam. I'll update my files to show it was an added date on 1/22/76, not 1/23/76 and also that John Bonham's involvement included tambourine during a second encore. Good stuff!

9 hours ago, Mook said:

John Bonham was good friends with Glenn Hughes, I believe up until an incident involving Pat in the late 70s when they fell out.

Hi Mook:) What kind of incident??

7 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi Mook:) What kind of incident??

I'll need to dig out the interview but Bonham had heard that Hughes had been speaking with Pat, he turned up at a party drunk and ready to kill Hughes, I think there was a bit of a fracas and they never spoke again after that.

If memory serves me correctly, I think it was in Mick Bonham's book although I'll need to check, it might've been covered in the Trampled Underfoot book too.

On 3/26/2008 at 8:19 AM, SteveAJones said:

Rodney's still around. Last I heard he was on the graveyard shift one night a week. They will never force him out completely; the guy's an institution. If you get the chance buy or rent 'The Mayor of the Sunset Strip', an excellent film which chronicles his life. Tales from the '70s Sunset Strip figure prominently of course. Led Zeppelin do not appear but they are mentioned. Kim Fowley says Rodney was getting more girls than Robert Plant!

:lol:

Edit: If your referring to Rodney's English Disco it closed years ago. It's a Kung Fu school now and it's featured in the film...then and now.

Posted (edited)

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Edited by luvlz2