July 7, 1980

LedZep1969

i was listening to some songs from that night, the way that robert plant said goodnight after whole lotta love made me choke up a little

How's it going "LedZep1969" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the new week started off well for all of you. The Tour Over Europe 1980 was a very controversial tour in a sense that Richard Cole was no longer their Tour Manager. LED ZEPPELIN was having a lot of sound problems on stage during the 1980 Tour. I own the 2-CD set of the Zurich 30 June 1980 show and in my opinion, "MisterMcLov1n" called it right when he said that the Zurich show from 30 June 1980 was by far, ZEPPELIN'S best show from the 1980 Tour. I own the 6-CD set from Toasted Condor and the 2-CD set from that set entitled FINAL TOUCH and LAST STAND feature the songs from the final Berlin show from 7 July 1980. The sound quality from the Berlin show was not the best quality but it does capture some good moments. "Kashmir," "Achilles Last Stand," "Trampled Underfoot," "Black Dog," "In The Evening," "All My Love," "Whole Lotta Love" and "Train Kept A Rollin'" to name a few, were very well performed songs during the 1980 Tour. ROCK ON!

I've always dug this show...not the best but not the worst by any stretch, and the long and new version of WLL to end it is pretty cool...

I agree with you. This was my first 1980 boot. I personally rate it in my top 3 from 1980 (although I'd have to admit, my opinion may be biased because it also hold a little place in my heart because it was the last show) :(

Funnily enough, the Berlin show was my first Zeppelin boot...got it back in, oh, mid-eighties somewhere, taped from a friend's copy. I haven't heard it in ages, mind you (I downloaded a better version a few years ago) but I do remember the performance, like all 1980 shows had it's share of peaks and valleys. I do remember thinking, hearing it the first time lo those many years ago, with only "TSRTS" soundtrack as previous live exposure, "Holy shit! They sound different...not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing..." Methinks I need to dust that show off...haven't heard any '80 in a while.

Of course, with the benefit of 29 years of hindsight, it's hard not to feel bittersweet about the Berlin show. But, as I've said before, with the way Page seemed to be dragging the show out with all the extended solos, it's as if he knew it was the FINAL show, and he wanted to milk it for all it was worth.

Zurich enjoyed the most favorable crowd reaction however Frankfurt sounded like the best of the '80 concerts, on tape anyhow. Berlin may not have been a high point but I bet there were fewer tight jaws filing out after that show than the one in Nuremberg.

I like Vienna 6-26 from the 80 tour. Frankfort is the best show though. They weren't that bad in the early shows. The last week or so was when the band fell off a bit.

I just got that Vienna show, I like it too, Trampled Underfoot really ventures into some new territory

Archived