The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

I saw that. I was surprised that only 54 splash downs have happened at that stadium.

Not that many southpaws I guess?

B)

Oh yeah, there was only one guy out there in a kayak, unlike when Bonds would hit them the water looked like the Marines invading Iwo Jima.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Watching NYY / CWS game and watched the oddest ejection of Ozzie.He ran out of the dugout to have some words with the first base umpire, got half way there and threw up his hands and turned around cuz he changed his minds. The ump threw him out. Couldn't tell if there were any words exchanged. It just seemed bizarre to me and to the announcers.

Watching NYY / CWS game and watched the oddest ejection of Ozzie.He ran out of the dugout to have some words with the first base umpire, got half way there and threw up his hands and turned around cuz he changed his minds. The ump threw him out. Couldn't tell if there were any words exchanged. It just seemed bizarre to me and to the announcers.

Once you have a reputation you are going to get tossed. He sure has one

• 1 month later...

I was kinda hoping for play-in games. Now we have to wait until Wednesday for any baseball... boooooo

However, I can't say I'm disappointed with the teams that are there. Except the yankees, of course...

Twins-Philles. Phillies win.

Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay throws the second no hitter in post season history after Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956.

Incredible! This guy is as good as it gets and i'm thinking when all is said and done, he'll be up there with the greatest hurlers the game has ever seen.

btw. it's already on his wikipedia bio, less than an hour after the game was finished.

Lose you damn Yankees!!!!

I hate the Yankees, but as a White Sox fan I hate the Twins more. For me the best outcome would be for the Twins to meet the Rays in the next round and for the Rays to destroy them!

All you Yankee Haters put a big-ass smile on my face. I love it. I can't imagine being so ridiculous as to hate one team more than I love another. There's a lot of teams in the league I don't like, but my dislike for them is not eclipsed by my fandom for the Yanks. But by all means, continue to entertain me. All that being said however........

There's three reasons why I love the fact the Rays/Rangers series has gone 5 games.

1. Neither team can set their rotations for the ALCS.....which starts on Friday. Being forced to pitch their aces tonight means that neither of them would be available to pitch Games 1 or 2 this weekend. The Phillies didn't pitch Cliff Lee on short rest last year and the Mariners/Rangers haven't at all this year and besides, Cliff Lee sucks with less than 5 days rest between starts. So if the Rangers advance, he wouldn't be pitching until Monday for Game 3.

2. It means the Yankees could theoretically see themselves leaving either Tampa or Texas up 2-0 or tied 1-1 going back to New York. Which puts us at a huge advantage going back to our ballpark as both the Rays and Rangers have slightly better pitching rotations than we do. If we can avoid their best pitchers in their ballparks, it puts us in a better position to beat said pitchers at home.

3. If the game goes into extras tonight, seeing as it's a do-or-die game, their bullpens will be taxed as well.

I don't think we'll have it as easy against either team as we did against our perennial whipping dogs, the Twins, but I think the Yankees can take it in 6. If we can beat the damn Angels when we could never beat them in the playoffs, we can beat the Rays or the Rangers. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

Also, I reached 300,000 visitors to my blog this week. Score! I started it in April of 2006 and never thought I'd get this far with it 4 1/2 years later, but I couldn't be more proud.

All you Yankee Haters put a big-ass smile on my face. I love it. I can't imagine being so ridiculous as to hate one team more than I love another. There's a lot of teams in the league I don't like, but my dislike for them is not eclipsed by my fandom for the Yanks. But by all means, continue to entertain me. All that being said however........

There's three reasons why I love the fact the Rays/Rangers series has gone 5 games.

1. Neither team can set their rotations for the ALCS.....which starts on Friday. Being forced to pitch their aces tonight means that neither of them would be available to pitch Games 1 or 2 this weekend. The Phillies didn't pitch Cliff Lee on short rest last year and the Mariners/Rangers haven't at all this year and besides, Cliff Lee sucks with less than 5 days rest between starts. So if the Rangers advance, he wouldn't be pitching until Monday for Game 3.

2. It means the Yankees could theoretically see themselves leaving either Tampa or Texas up 2-0 or tied 1-1 going back to New York. Which puts us at a huge advantage going back to our ballpark as both the Rays and Rangers have slightly better pitching rotations than we do. If we can avoid their best pitchers in their ballparks, it puts us in a better position to beat said pitchers at home.

3. If the game goes into extras tonight, seeing as it's a do-or-die game, their bullpens will be taxed as well.

I don't think we'll have it as easy against either team as we did against our perennial whipping dogs, the Twins, but I think the Yankees can take it in 6. If we can beat the damn Angels when we could never beat them in the playoffs, we can beat the Rays or the Rangers. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

Also, I reached 300,000 visitors to my blog this week. Score! I started it in April of 2006 and never thought I'd get this far with it 4 1/2 years later, but I couldn't be more proud.

The 1927 Yankees were one thing. And a distant cousin of mine played for them. But these Yankees I hate because I hate everything they represent. Corporate greed. Stealing players that were brought up through other farm systems. What has it come to when a guy that plays for your biggest rival and beats you in the World Series (Damon) winds up playing for you the next year? So here is your entertainment for the night. Yankee hater for life! I don't like the Phillies or Tampa either. Or the Giants. So I really don't care this time around. The only real important thing that happened was Bobby Cox managing his last game. I did like watching those Red Sox and Yankee games in that great comeback by Boston that I loved. And I was happy for the White Sox fan that posted, as I was happy to see them win and beat the Cardinals. It appears that Texas may have the advantage in pitching tonight? But I am thinking Tampa is probably too good to blow this. A local sports analyst seems to think the Phillies are the best team, and I dont have much doubt they willl beat the Giants.

I don't give a damn why you claim to hate them -- it's still ridiculous. Oh wow the Yankees spend a lot of money. Big whoop. They can, so they do. Get over it. Rather than hating them for it, be pissed that your own team doesn't have the fiduciary means to do it as well.

But as they say, keep sippin' the haterade. It's hysterical. B)

I don't give a damn why you claim to hate them -- it's still ridiculous. Oh wow the Yankees spend a lot of money. Big whoop. They can, so they do. Get over it. Rather than hating them for it, be pissed that your own team doesn't have the fiduciary means to do it as well.

But as they say, keep sippin' the haterade. It's hysterical. B)

I don't hate the Yankees as individual players, but I think it's unfair to expect teams with much smaller fan bases to have the money to spend on premium players But then we all know that even that doesn't guarantee success.

And yes, I've heard of revenue sharing, but many economists consider the current system to be flawed.

It's a bit presumptuous of you to say that I hate your team more than I love my team. I've loved my team since I was 7 - through thick and thin. Your team happens to be in our division, and they have really smug, self-satisfied, condescending fans which naturally bring out the ire in us. It makes it really hard to root for your team in any circumstance.

Besides, rivalries in sports are what make it fun. If you can't hate a team or two, what good is it... helps in these times when my beloved team isn't playing. I have a rooting interest, if only a rooting-against interest :)

What's your blog address? I'd love to check it out.

It's a bit presumptuous of you to say that I hate your team more than I love my team. I've loved my team since I was 7 - through thick and thin. Your team happens to be in our division, and they have really smug, self-satisfied, condescending fans which naturally bring out the ire in us. It makes it really hard to root for your team in any circumstance.

Besides, rivalries in sports are what make it fun. If you can't hate a team or two, what good is it... helps in these times when my beloved team isn't playing. I have a rooting interest, if only a rooting-against interest :)

What's your blog address? I'd love to check it out.

I said "Yankee Haters". That's a different breed of person than say a White Sox fan who doesn't like the Yankees. So if that's not you, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about a specific kind of person. I hate the Red Sox, but I don't hate the Red Sox more than I love the Yankees. Wasting time rooting against a team rather than for a team is just that -- a waste of time. A waste of time that makes me laugh my ass off, especially when these people leave comments on my site and think I'm going to leave them up.

BTW, all baseball teams have "smug, self-satisfied, condescending fans". If you think idiotic fans are endemic to the Yankees only, you're sorely mistaken. Some of the worst baseball fans I've ever had the displeasure of sitting amongst for a baseball game are Braves fans. That doesn't mean I think all Braves fans are like that or that I should all of a sudden hate the Braves because I've been exposed to a unseemly portion of their fan base. See what I mean?

As for my blog address, I'm pretty sure it's in my profile and if not, it's http://yankeeschick.mlblogs.com

A word to the peanut gallery -- I will delete comments that are offensive/inappropriate and I will ban your IP from leaving further comments, so don't bother getting stupid.

I said "Yankee Haters". That's a different breed of person than say a White Sox fan who doesn't like the Yankees. So if that's not you, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about a specific kind of person. I hate the Red Sox, but I don't hate the Red Sox more than I love the Yankees. Wasting time rooting against a team rather than for a team is just that -- a waste of time. A waste of time that makes me laugh my ass off, especially when these people leave comments on my site and think I'm going to leave them up.

BTW, all baseball teams have "smug, self-satisfied, condescending fans". If you think idiotic fans are endemic to the Yankees only, you're sorely mistaken. Some of the worst baseball fans I've ever had the displeasure of sitting amongst for a baseball game are Braves fans. That doesn't mean I think all Braves fans are like that or that I should all of a sudden hate the Braves because I've been exposed to a unseemly portion of their fan base. See what I mean?

As for my blog address, I'm pretty sure it's in my profile and if not, it's http://yankeeschick.mlblogs.com

A word to the peanut gallery -- I will delete comments that are offensive/inappropriate and I will ban your IP from leaving further comments, so don't bother getting stupid.

You talk so big and tough. You really are quite nasty and you go after anyone that doesn't see things your way. Now you threaten to bann IP's? Are you one of the mods? You can block IP's from this site? That is news to me. Many people can't stand the Yankees and all they represent. So they have the right to say it. Its a free country! Strange how someone is from Chicago but roots for the Yankees and Red Wings? Enough of you and your nasty comments :dont: This series could be long if Texas can continue to beat the Yankees at home. I think realistically they need to win the first two at home to really put the heat on. Its more than likely going to be a rematch but I give Texas a better shot than San Fran.

They lucked out that three of the four cities dont get very cold. Its a joke starting the championship series in the middle of October. They lose alot of fans to football, hockey and basketball, and if the games were in Cleveland or Chicago, its too cold to play baseball. They should have done something long ago.

It's never too cold to play baseball. They're grown men. Sack up and play.

Its easier to play in the cold than be a fan in the cold. Take it from someone that was at the third coldest game in NFL history. Bills/Raiders in the early 90s. Could not sit down. Had to keep moving and it was brutal. Sitting at a baseball game in cold weather has to be no fun. And It has to have a bad effect on the pitchers. The ball is not going to be as "live" in the cold either. And its too long a season. I have heard few argue with that.

The only reason the season is longer is because of the extended playoffs. If Bud Selig would re-organize the leagues and go back to two divisions and eliminate the needless off-days between series (more than 3 is insane), the season would end earlier. But we need an ALDS, a week between the ALDS and the LCS and then 5 or 6 days between the LCS and the World Series and with all that time dragging on, it's November by the time it's all over with.

Even in the 154-game season and just 8 teams per league, the season ended in October. It's why the World Series is called the Fall Classic -- you can't have a Fall Classic in August.

The only reason the season is longer is because of the extended playoffs. If Bud Selig would re-organize the leagues and go back to two divisions and eliminate the needless off-days between series (more than 3 is insane), the season would end earlier. But we need an ALDS, a week between the ALDS and the LCS and then 5 or 6 days between the LCS and the World Series and with all that time dragging on, it's November by the time it's all over with.

Even in the 154-game season and just 8 teams per league, the season ended in October. It's why the World Series is called the Fall Classic -- you can't have a Fall Classic in August.

But just like hockey in June, its senseless and they lose the interest of many fans. Hockey should end sooner too. Now football is going to extend the season to 18 games, though I doubt it will have an effect on the times it ends because they are knocking off two pre season games I believe. But how many quarterbacks will survive that schedule without injury? Not many. Its raining out and in the low fifties here in upstate NY. I wouldnt go to a baseball game outdoors now if you paid me.

Oops. I looked it up and its 47 degrees here now. B)

Archived