The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

Yeah....we sucked. Kind of liked how Leyland went right after your new catcher with a 1st batter bunt though. We need Verlander to shut 'em down today....and we need to tap into your shitty bullpen.

And our shitty bullpen performed as expected tonight... sigh..........

Holy moly... can the O's get any worse??? Actually, I'm afraid to ask that because the answer is most likely yes...

The Nats played a gem of a game tonight - beat the mets 7-1 on a complete game by John Lannan in 2 hours and a few minutes. Too bad they'll never be able to do it again...

I love baseball, but the amount of bad baseball in the area is beginning to weigh on me...

You need to ask, can the pitching get any worse. That is the undoing of them. Pitching. The lineup is good. The pitching sucks.

The lineup should be good. The middle of the lineup went something like 0 for 22 today and the entire lineup went 0 for 6 with men in scoring position. It's like they're all sleepwalking or something. The bullpen seems to be the only upside this week. Ugh.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

White Sox's Mark Buehrle pitches no-hitter.

Congratulations to Mark for the perfectly pitched game. It's only the 18th time in MLB history that it has happened. What a feat!

Edited to say: He owes DeWayne Wise a debt of gratitude for saving that home run bid by Tampa Bay Rays' Gabe Kapler. What a dramatic finish to the game!

Congratulations to Mark for the perfectly pitched game. It's only the 18th time in MLB history that it has happened. What a feat!

Edited to say: He owes DeWayne Wise a debt of gratitude for saving that home run bid by Tampa Bay Rays' Gabe Kapler. What a dramatic finish to the game!

That was quite a catch! Funny how perfect games were extremely rare back in the earliest years of baseball - bigger outfields then, better gloves or less disciplined hitters now?

Wow! Good for him! :D But I must say, GO CHICAGO CUBS! :cheer:

:peace:,

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a curse of Victor Martinez, for the Red Sox? Seems like they had a good lead on the Yankees (and Rays) not that long ago, but now trail them by about the same number of games. It sounded like a good pickup, but cuts into the playing time of two guys (Varitek and Lowell) who were critical to the team in many ways. I know they have pitching injuries, but not scoring a single run in over 2 dozen innings is something else...

The Blue Jays had a 93-93 world series reunion over the weekend and was by all accounts quite successful. But it just reminded me even more that they have been twisting in the wind since then! They must get rid of J. P. Ricciardi. This guy has to be the worst G.M. in the league. They would sell out that stadium every night in the glory days. He has dragged a once proud franchise down to mediocrity. Shame on you J.P.

The Blue Jays had a 93-93 world series reunion over the weekend and was by all accounts quite successful. But it just reminded me even more that they have been twisting in the wind since then! They must get rid of J. P. Ricciardi. This guy has to be the worst G.M. in the league. They would sell out that stadium every night in the glory days. He has dragged a once proud franchise down to mediocrity. Shame on you J.P.

:nuke: Well i will reply to my own post :D J. P. Ricciardi does it again...just gave away Alex Rios...just gave him away and who did we get in return......NO ONE. How we can just let a five tool player go and get nothing in return...oh yeah we saved his salary! He wanted to trade Doc and now just gives Alex away. I can only hope that he doesn't just give the Doc away. Shame on you J. P. Ricciardi Shame on you. I have had it with this guy and done with the team until they dump this BUM!!!

:nuke: Well i will reply to my own post :D J. P. Ricciardi does it again...just gave away Alex Rios...just gave him away and who did we get in return......NO ONE. How we can just let a five tool player go and get nothing in return...oh yeah we saved his salary! He wanted to trade Doc and now just gives Alex away. I can only hope that he doesn't just give the Doc away. Shame on you J. P. Ricciardi Shame on you. I have had it with this guy and done with the team until they dump this BUM!!!

J.P Ricciardi is a dillhole and should have his eyes pecked out by pigeons.

This year alone with the Halladay fiasco and now practically giving Alex away...oh yeah...so they have more to spend on other players. But who the hell would want to play here with that dillhole as G.M? He's a slimey, weasel-faced, dillhole. WHY is he still G.M? Why? One good reason. I feel your pain slagfarmer.

A promising start gave us false hope...the World Series team reunion last week was what it was all about. When the Jays were untouchable.

J.P Ricciardi is a dillhole and should have his eyes pecked out by pigeons.

This year alone with the Halladay fiasco and now practically giving Alex away...oh yeah...so they have more to spend on other players. But who the hell would want to play here with that dillhole as G.M? He's a slimey, weasel-faced, dillhole. WHY is he still G.M? Why? One good reason. I feel your pain slagfarmer.

A promising start gave us false hope...the World Series team reunion last week was what it was all about. When the Jays were untouchable.

:goodpost: All I keep hearing is that the Jays will dump him at seasons end :D . And while They are at it start calling they the Blue Jays again and put them back in the 93 uniforms. I will not watch this team again until they fire J.P Ricciardi.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tiger's pitching staff is looking good ! Rookie Porcello gets his 12th win. I think our four starters (Verlander, Jackson, Porcello, Washburn) are the best in baseball. Hitting has been a problem all year, but Maggs & Polanco are showing up at just the right time. Poor Cabrerra didn't see a decent pitch in two months. The White Sox took a major dive, and it's time for the Twins to do the same.

tigers%20logo.JPG

Not so good Tiger news. :(

He was due to have a game like that, his previous starts had been pretty shitty. I'd rather our team lose to a pitcher like Halladay than to some no-name scrub.

Alot going right for the Yankees in the second half, particularly the relief pitching. But the tinkering with Joba Chamberlain has become ridiculous, and is not serving to benefit any playoff strategy. Earlier in the year, they had him pitch simulated innings before the actual game, now they limit him to a few dozen pitchers, but still start in the rotation?

Alot going right for the Yankees in the second half, particularly the relief pitching. But the tinkering with Joba Chamberlain has become ridiculous, and is not serving to benefit any playoff strategy. Earlier in the year, they had him pitch simulated innings before the actual game, now they limit him to a few dozen pitchers, but still start in the rotation?

:yesnod: Just hope it doesn't hurt the bullpen too much. :D

:yesnod: Just hope it doesn't hurt the bullpen too much. :D

Well, if their run scoring magic slumps - as has happened at the end of past seasons, it would certainly put more demands on that. I just hope the odd handling of one player doesn't throw off the overall good team performance, and the job Girardi has done this year.

I've admitted in my blog that the organization screwed up Joba's mechanics and they're reaping the results of that now. I really hope they don't make the same mistake with Hughes, but to be honest....if he's more effective as a reliever [which he clearly is], he should stay in the pen. I want to see Joba as a full-time starter next season, with no innings limit and no pitch count cap. If he's a starter, let him pitch.

I've admitted in my blog that the organization screwed up Joba's mechanics and they're reaping the results of that now. I really hope they don't make the same mistake with Hughes, but to be honest....if he's more effective as a reliever [which he clearly is], he should stay in the pen. I want to see Joba as a full-time starter next season, with no innings limit and no pitch count cap. If he's a starter, let him pitch.

Absolutely - but can they suceed in the playoffs without anything resembling a reliable fourth starter? Or would Joba be counted on to adapt back to being the setup guy when they begin?

Absolutely - but can they suceed in the playoffs without anything resembling a reliable fourth starter? Or would Joba be counted on to adapt back to being the setup guy when they begin?

Right now we've got CC, Andy and AJ. I would put Andy as a viable #2 over AJ, who's had some yips. He's pitching the 2nd game of the DH this afternoon, so hopefully being at home will get him back on track.

For a short series like the ALDS, a 3-man rotation is fine. For the ALCS or World Series, provided we make it that far, we need at least a #4 unless CC can pitch on short rest. I know he did in the 2007 series against us when he was in Cleveland, but I don't remember how effective he was. So yeah, we need a fourth starter. We need one now, but we're getting lucky with the duct tape and bailing wire we've been throwing out there. However Boston, Detroit and Anaheim have strong rotations (well, maybe not Boston so much) and we're not going to be facing junkballers we can smash 12 runs off of. Pitching has been our downfall the last few years we've been to the playoffs, I do not want this year to be like all the others.

We have to hope that a combination of Joba for 3 innings + flotsam from the bullpen can pull us through his starts. I honestly don't know what I'm more pissed off about - the fact they effed Joba's mechanics up or the fact we'll have to go through this all over again next season when Hughes moves from the pen to the rotation.

Foul ball! Toddler tosses back dad's prized catch

Published: 9/17/09, 11:05 AM EDT

By ROB MAADDI

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Dad simply wanted a souvenir. He got a ballpark full of cheers and a national television appearance instead.

Steve Monforto made a grand catch of a foul ball at a Philadelphia Phillies game and gave his prize to his 3-year-old daughter. She quickly tossed it back toward the field, and all her stunned Dad could do was hug her.

"At the time I was just excited to give it to her," Monforto told NBC's "Today" show Thursday.

A season-ticket holder who shares Phillies' tickets with friends, Monforto said he didn't consider the possibility that little Emily might toss his treasure from the upper deck.

"I've been waiting so long to catch a foul ball, and over the edge it goes," he said with a laugh.

The family from Laurel Springs, N.J., still went home with a baseball Tuesday night after the Phillies' 5-0 win over the Nationals. Phillies executive Mike Stiles brought it to them in the stands.

On the "Today" show, they got another ball - this one encased and signed by outfielder Jayson Werth, who hit the foul ball in the fifth inning and made the Monforto family famous.

The family of four also received personalized Phillies jerseys.

Monforto, 32, reached over the railing to make the grab, catching his first foul ball after years of going to Phillies games. He fist-bumped his buddies, high-fived his daughter and handed her the prize.

Then came the toss and the hug.

"I didn't want her to think she did anything wrong," Monforto said on WIP-AM radio Wednesday.

Philly crowds are known for being a tough bunch, but everyone at Citizens Bank Park cheered - first his catch, then his cuddle.

"This was the true reflection of what Philly fans are like," said Bonnie Clark, the team's vice president of communications.

Cameras captured the scene of Monforto snagging Werth's foul, plus the toss and hug. The video was displayed at the top of the Yahoo! Web page and made the NBC national news.

Well, I think it's sweet! :aw:

:peace:,

Jo

Archived