The Peter Green Thread

MS1

I can take or leave Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac (though I think Lindsay Buckingham is very talented) but I LOVE Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac! Jimmy has sited The Mac as an influence, and I think there's plenty to inspire a Zep fan Green's work.

Here are some vids - more to come!

Rattlesnake Shake

Oh Well

A lot of people have pointed out the similarities between Oh Well and Black Dog, see what you think . . .

:hippy:

Yay my favorite guitar guy! The only white blues guy I respect for his blues playing, not the generic guitar hero (yeah that was cute, now play something heavy/fast) angle. Claptons reputation (the 'god' one, not the overrated over the hill pussy soft rock one) should belong to this guy. Wonder if Pete still wears robes...

Both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were able to move beyond their blues roots, but Clapton has become a blues immitator more than his own thing. Like his fakey BB King "throaty-scratchy" singing style.

Usually the gripe is the other way around, that Clapton has spent a large part of his later career leaning towards pop. I think it's fair to say EC has been not only more active but more varied in his later career, JB and JP have by and large been musically inactive compared to EC. If JB and JP have moved beyond their roots it's been toward semi-retirement while EC has stayed active.

• 1 month later...
Pete was one of a very few brit-rockers who was not intimidated by Jimi, that about sez it all!

"Underway" from Then Play On was influenced by Jimi. It's one of my favorite Mac Tracks!

Another 'says it all' thing is the Beatles' "Sun King", which is clearly influenced by Greeny tracks like "Underway" and "Albatross".

I'll second that heartily. I always loved the ORIGINAL Black Magic Woman, with that nice bluesy ending. And Green Manalishi brings back a lot of memories. What a monster that is!!

Ahhh, Green Manalishi...a song with a twist...a title with an edge B):D . I love its psychedelic touch.

Usually the gripe is the other way around, that Clapton has spent a large part of his later career leaning towards pop. I think it's fair to say EC has been not only more active but more varied in his later career, JB and JP have by and large been musically inactive compared to EC. If JB and JP have moved beyond their roots it's been toward semi-retirement while EC has stayed active.

Bullshit, Jeff Beck has released plenty of recent albums, better than the crap Clapton is putting out, and better than the vast nothingness that Jimmy Page is putting out.

From wikipedia:

"Much of his output has been instrumental, and his releases have spanned genres, ranging from blues-rock, heavy metal, jazz fusion and (currently) a blend of guitar-rock and electronica. This versatility has made it difficult for Beck to establish and maintain a broad following."

Also, these look like pretty recent albums to me

Who Else! – 1999 #99 US

You Had It Coming – 2001 #110 US

Jeff – 2003

Yay my favorite guitar guy! The only white blues guy I respect for his blues playing, not the generic guitar hero (yeah that was cute, now play something heavy/fast) angle. Claptons reputation (the 'god' one, not the overrated over the hill pussy soft rock one) should belong to this guy. Wonder if Pete still wears robes...
You don't respect Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Peter Green is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. Does anybody know where I can get Live in Boston Volume 3?

You don't respect Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Peter Green is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. Does anybody know where I can get Live in Boston Volume 3?

- i like him, but his stuff could get a bit samey. the whole 'white-Jimi' thing kinda detracts me from his vibe too.

- disc 161 in cd binder #3 icon4.gif