"It was an April morning-when they told us-we should go"

Does anyone know what that lyric describes?...to me it always sounded like a personal statement,of the time.

.... " and as I turned to you, you smiled at me. How could we say no !!! "

:beer: most definitely comes across as a memorable incident from the dim distant past (in the 60s/ early 70s )

Always thought it was the band going out on tour again. Maybe they were told by their manager that they should tour again? or by the fans?

But I also disagree with the posted lyrics at most of the lyrics sites. i.e. in the end it sounds to me like I'm going away, going away, going away. and not I know the way, know the way.

and especially:

Oh to laugh aloud, Dancing I fought the crowds, yea

always thought it was: dance the night across the crowd, yeah.

Robert, can you help us out??? LOL.

If I'm not mistaken, this refers to their trip to Robert and Maureen's prospective property on Cyprus (hence the refs to Greek mythology). The one when they had a bad car accident, almost everyone in the car was injured and Robert broke his leg. Anyone, confirm or deny this.

Achilles' Last Stand, I find it one of their most haunting songs.

edited to add address of site you may find entertaining: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/7795/

If I'm not mistaken, this refers to their trip to Robert and Maureen's prospective property on Cyprus (hence the refs to Greek mythology). The one when they had a bad car accident, almost everyone in the car was injured and Robert broke his leg. Anyone, confirm or deny this.

In 1975 Robert and family went to north Africa after the Earl's court performances and later met the Page family, and in July they went together to Greece.Robert and Maureen with their two kids and Scarlet were in the car when the accident happened on the Rhodes Island.

In 1975 Robert and family went to north Africa after the Earl's court performances and later met the Page family, and in July they went together to Greece.Robert and Maureen with their two kids and Scarlet were in the car when the accident happened on the Rhodes Island.

stand corrected. I tend to confuse Greece and Cyprus all the time, even in terms of taxes, shame on me. :)

stand corrected. I tend to confuse Greece and Cyprus all the time, even in terms of taxes, shame on me. :)

Not a big thing. :D .

Anyway the Earl's court gigs were end of May, so it didn't really fit into the "April morning."

edited to add address of site you may find entertaining: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/7795/

There are some incredible comments from the web site you mention,some very entertaining indeed! thanks!

Obviously the title of the song refers to the ankle injury Robert sustained in the vehicle accident on Rhodes (see Achilles Heel). IMHO, the lyrical passage in question refers to Robert & Jimmy looking forward to the prospect of touring again..."oh to ride the wind, to tread the air above the din". "April" is traditionally perceived as a period of rebirth and new beginnings and it is for this reason I believe it was cited, as opposed

to any specific historical or planned event.

Robert Plant, 1976:

"The lyrics were all reflections on the time near and before the accident and that time afterwards, that contemplative thing, so I was very determined lyrically but Jimmy put his energy into it. He worked so hard and the guitar playing on this album surpasses anything I've heard for ages and ages. Brilliant... so much life in it."

Obviously the title of the song refers to the ankle injury Robert sustained in the vehicle accident on Rhodes (see Achilles Heel). IMHO, the lyrical passage in question refers to Robert & Jimmy looking forward to the prospect of touring again..."oh to ride the wind, to tread the air above the din". "April" is traditionally perceived as a period of rebirth and new beginnings and it is for this reason I believe it was cited, as opposed

to any specific historical or planned event.

I've always thought of Achilles pretty much how you've desribed it.

Rebirth or a new era for Led Zeppelin post car crash.

As to bigzepfan's lyric pondering,"I'm going away," as opposed to lyric sites,"I know the way..."

My ears have told me for years,"I'm going to reign." Autobiographical.Plant has mended and is ready to resume his role at the top in his profession.

I wish Plant would publish the definitive Led Zeppelin lyrics.

This morning I had just put Presence in to listen to when I jumped on this site and read the thread heading... It was an April morning... Timing, eh?

Robert's lyric writing is just one of the things that separates him from the pack. Paul Rodgers... David Coverdale... two other Page vocalists, it's easy to tell what they're singing about. But Robert... there's always an air of mysticism in his lyrics. What it means to you may be totally different than what it means to me.

One hundred people could listen to Achilles and come away with one hundred different meanings. That just means Robert has succeeded. The fact that 30 + years after its release people still debate this song... that is magic.

And it is further proof why nobody could ever replace Robert Plant...

This morning I had just put Presence in to listen to when I jumped on this site and read the thread heading... It was an April morning... Timing, eh?

Robert's lyric writing is juts one of the things that separates him from the pack. Paul Rodgers... David Coverdale... two other Page vocalists, it's easy to tell what they're singing about. But Robert... there's always an air of mysticism in his lyrics. What it means to you may be totally different than what it means to me.

One hundred people could listen to Achilles and come away with one hundred different meanings. That just means Robert has succeeded. The fact that 30 + years after its release people still debate this song... that is magic.

:thumbsup:

Robert's lyric writing is juts one of the things that separates him from the pack. Paul Rodgers... David Coverdale... two other Page vocalists, it's easy to tell what they're singing about. But Robert... there's always an air of mysticism in his lyrics. What it means to you may be totally different than what it means to me.

I totally agree with you , every time I listen to a led song I think the same, thats where the power of zep songs came from, they have a different meaning for each person (of course there are some similar but that happens just in a few cases) the big example -- excuse me if may be you don't like it , I know that there is a whole thing with the lyrics of this song -- its Stairway To Heaven , you can tolk to almost anybody and I am sure than nobody with tell you the same thing about the meaning of the lyrics.

In fact I still have problems to define the theme of this song :P, although its obvious that have something related to the car accident, but after all it doesn't matter , for me its the best song they ever made!!

Archived