Nostalgia

redrum

i had a romper room ceramic cup. it had "doo bee a milk drinker" and a picture of mr doo bee on it.

Oh yeah! lol! Doo bee's and Don't Bees! Ahhh...the good ol' days... :D

At the local golf course I grew up near we were actually encouraged to hunt down and retrieve golf balls from the course to turn into the pro shop. I forget how much we were given for each one but we did earn money for them.

We bought stencils, paint (black and white) and painted house numbers on curbs for a little spending money. We usually earned enough for some beer and or weed, then said it's Miller time. :D Those were the days my friend.

I remember we would chop out our sting-rays with 1,2 or even 3 front fork sections. We'd just jam them on and I guess it's remarkable none of us ever got hurt LoL. That was fun.

I have had those extended forks come off while popping wheelies.

Also, later on we rode our ten speeds down hills like mountain bikes. Too bad none of us thought of making mountain bikes.

We bought stencils, paint (black and white) and painted house numbers on curbs for a little spending money. We usually earned enough for some beer and or weed, then said it's Miller time. :D Those were the days my friend.

I was allowed to set up my lemonade stand at the golf course despite the fact that it had to cut into their sales. I also collected drink bottles which you could return for a deposit back then. As my friends and I got older, other ways to earn extra cash included turning in old batteries and metal parts at the scrapyard.

I could have sworn the horse was called "Pokey", not "Pukey"??? But that was a very cool show!

My memories of Gumby were forever tainted by Eddie Murphy's portrayal of him on SNL in his notorious "I'm Gumby, dammit!" skits.

Gumby.jpg

Speaking of those old claymation programs like Gumby there was also Davey & Goliath that used to air on Sunday mornings. The Cartoon Network's Adult Swim does a great parody of that with their program Moral Orel.

moral_orel.jpg

God....I still remember riding skateboards with steel wheels. I'm freaking old!

I missed out on the first wave of skateboarding in the 60s but I do recall my older brothers and sister having roller skates with steel or clay wheels. By the time skateboarding came back around again in the early to mid-70s clay wheels were still in existence but thankfully someone had the bright idea for polyurethane wheels. That's the time period when I came onboard. I still have my old boards but haven't ridden them in years. My board of choice was the Gordon & Smith Fibreflex slalom model with the cutaway design. Of course the trucks were Tracker and the wheels were Kryptonic.

Cool thread- brings back lots of 70s memories.

I had Silly Putty, an orange Duncan yo-yo, a bike w/ a banana seat, a Hula Hoop, and a Slinky too.

When the weather was nice, we were always outside playing tag, hopscotch, jump rope, Wiffle ball or riding our bikes.

Jimmie ray we played a version of "asses up" at our school too- nobody had to actually drop their pants, but kids would throw the ball as hard as they could at the butt of the unlucky person.

Anybody remember some of these?

Panasonic Toot a Loop radio (it's an S, it's an O, it's a crazy radio)

Malibu Barbie (w/ attached sunglasses), Mod Hair Ken (w/ "real" not plastic hair), and the Barbie Camper, Townhouse and Airplane

Wacky Packages stickers

Magic 8 Ball

Rock Flowers dolls ( smaller than Barbies, came w/ a 45 rpm record)

My memories of Gumby were forever tainted by Eddie Murphy's portrayal of him on SNL in his notorious "I'm Gumby, dammit!" skits.

Gumby.jpg

Speaking of those old claymation programs like Gumby there was also Davey & Goliath that used to air on Sunday mornings. The Cartoon Network's Adult Swim does a great parody of that with their program Moral Orel.

moral_orel.jpg

:lol: That Eddie Murphy routine was a hoot!

I had Silly Putty, an orange Duncan yo-yo, a bike w/ a banana seat, a Hula Hoop, and a Slinky too.

When the weather was nice, we were always outside playing tag, hopscotch, jump rope, Wiffle ball or riding our bikes.

Jimmie ray we played a version of "asses up" at our school too- nobody had to actually drop their pants, but kids would throw the ball as hard as they could at the butt of the unlucky person.

Malibu Barbie (w/ attached sunglasses), Mod Hair Ken (w/ "real" not plastic hair), and the Barbie Camper, Townhouse and Airplane

Wacky Packages stickers

Magic 8 Ball

Barbie Airplane :o I never saw that but I had the Barbie Camper :D

'Gumby & Pukey' :lol: I'm sitting here trying not to laugh like an idiot.

When I was a kid the old paper racks used to have tubes with locks on them that you would put a dime in to get a newspaper. How trusting they were then ey? Well, there was an old, unsused rack on upper Market street that I used to always walk by on my way to school or a friend's house. One time I went by it and the lock had been removed (they were on the bottom of the tube) and I stuck my finger up inside and there was about $1.50 in coins that had somehow got stuck up inside and it all came down into my eager little hand. I immediately ran to the 5 and dime store and bought a new Duncan yo-yo. :lol:

God....I still remember riding skateboards with steel wheels. I'm freaking old!

In San Francisco we used to make coasters with ball bearings for wheels and old shoe soles for brakes. :lol:

Cool stuff guy's (and gal's) I can remember some of them.

The thing that really takes me back to my youth is hearing some old Three Dog Night and Beatles song's on an old AM radio. Now when I got older say, mid/late teen's I started getting into Led Zeppelin so that would bring back those day's. [...]

But I think that certain song's do more for me then any thing else.

Hi BonzoLikeDrumer!

Yeah me too---re: the great 60s and 70s songs and an old AM radio. My first radio (in 6th grade) was a "micro" radio. I listened to both FM & AM. Its dimensions were about 2 1/2 square. I used to hold it against my ear constantly. Its music caressed my ears (lol!) Also, @ 10 pm, I loved it when the "Nightbird" came on the air (Alison Steele). She always opened her radio program with "Nights In White Satin". In addition, I loved the AM DJ Frankie Crocker. His theme song was equally excellent--"There I Go". Whenever I hear the following tunes, I think of my beloved micro radio and the good ol' days back then.

FM Band: (The Nightbird)

"It's A Beautiful Morning--Young Rascals

AM Band(Frankie Crocker) (Theme song: "There I Go")

"Tighten Up--Archie Bell & The Drells

"Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing"

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

"You're All I Need To Get By--all by Marvin & Tammi :)

I could have sworn the horse was called "Pokey", not "Pukey"??? But that was a very cool show!

I was tired when i posted that and i thought pukey seemed odd, but that was the first image i saw and so i used it.... thanks for the laugh, too. I was in tears over it!

I remember Eddie Murphy's Gumby skit. I love Eddie from back then.

a correction:

2291345261_6694573db7.jpg

Wacky Packages stickers

Magic 8 Ball

Don't forget about the original GI Joe with kung fu grip or Johny West.

1431landavkung.jpg

johnny_family1965.jpg

Archived