Van Halen/Eruption

frankb

I was just watching the eruption live video (

) and I really did not like it at all. I don't know whether its the cheesy outfit (he looks like he should be on American Gladiators) or just his on stage present, it wasn't impressive. He's a talented guitarist but the song is shallow, its like hes trying to show off how fast he can play his guitar, as opposed to a song I listened to before that, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, where you can feel the music. I don't know just something I noticed.

Comparing Eruption with Shine on You Crazy Diamond? You're missing the point my friend. It's like comparing chili with chicken soup. One's hot and spicy, the other is good for the soul.

Oh, and yeah, some of us did dress funny back in the day. ;):D

pink-floyd-photo-pink-floyd-6234404.jpg

Ha I know they are completely different, I am not sure what it is or how to describe it, its just that Eruption doesn't really move me at all and almost seems cheesy. Tapping is a very cool technique, but I'm not sure, just can't put my finger on it why I don't really like it.

Ha, nice pic btw. B)

Me neither. I saw the original lineup in concert and wasn't really blown away.

Happy Sunday!

I saw LZ in 73 and 75 then went to the First Annual Dday of Rock & Roll at the Superdome in the Big Easy. I was front row when Van Halen came out and when Eddie Van Halen slid across the stage playing "Running With The Devil" I have to admit the man on guitar was great, but in my opinion Page was and still is the best. I have several Van Halen albums but really do not listen to them any more.

Ha I know they are completely different, I am not sure what it is or how to describe it, its just that Eruption doesn't really move me at all and almost seems cheesy. Tapping is a very cool technique, but I'm not sure, just can't put my finger on it why I don't really like it.

Ha, nice pic btw. B)

Then there's Syd Barrett's "technique" ;)

I was just watching the eruption live video (
) and I really did not like it at all. I don't know whether its the cheesy outfit (he looks like he should be on American Gladiators) or just his on stage present, it wasn't impressive. He's a talented guitarist but the song is shallow, its like hes trying to show off how fast he can play his guitar, as opposed to a song I listened to before that, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, where you can feel the music. I don't know just something I noticed.

I'm curious what is any of this has to do with Led Zeppelin.

As for Eruption, I don't think it was ever intended to be a stand alone song, it is a solo piece for the most part and seems to be more of an intro to You Really Got Me. I saw Van Halen in '79 when they only had two albums out. It was a great performance but to be honest nearly every song sounded just like the other one. I remained a fan throughout the DLR years and still love their early work. Is it anything earth shattering? Not particularly but EVH's guitar playing was considered pretty innovative for the time. Of course it spawned an entire new generation of imitators which makes it hard to look at his playing objectively now. Still, like AC/DC and similar bands, if I just want to hear some good, straightforward rock n' roll, Van Halen is what I reach for.

According to Eddie, Eruption wasn't even supposed to be on the first album. It indeed wasn't even a song. It was a warmup exercise he used to do. One day in the studio, Ted Templeman heard him going at it and rolled tape. He suggested they add a little structure with the drum and bass flourishes, and Eruption was born. Eddie later said had he realised what a fuss would be made over his little exercise, he'd have put more effort into it, adding that he could've played it much better and it's hard for him to listen to with all the mistakes.

Anyway, it went into the live set as much for Eddie to dazzle the crowds as for Dave and company to partake in backstage indulging.

According to Eddie, Eruption wasn't even supposed to be on the first album. It indeed wasn't even a song. It was a warmup exercise he used to do. One day in the studio, Ted Templeman heard him going at it and rolled tape. He suggested they add a little structure with the drum and bass flourishes, and Eruption was born. Eddie later said had he realised what a fuss would be made over his little exercise, he'd have put more effort into it, adding that he could've played it much better and it's hard for him to listen to with all the mistakes.

Anyway, it went into the live set as much for Eddie to dazzle the crowds as for Dave and company to partake in backstage indulging.

Actually "Eruption" was a fully formed live solo showcase for Ed long before Ted Templeman came onto the scene. Complete with echoplex and tapping. They may have unconsciously (or consciously?)ripped off Jimi's "House Burning Down" for the intro bit.

Actually "Eruption" was a fully formed live solo showcase for Ed long before Ted Templeman came onto the scene. Complete with echoplex and tapping. They may have unconsciously (or consciously?)ripped off Jimi's "House Burning Down" for the intro bit.

It's interesting you say that as one day back in the late 70s as I was listening to the first Van Halen album, a friend of one of my older brothers walked by and asked, "is that Jimi Hendrix?" I have no idea if Eruption was playing at the time but it was definitely the first record.

• 3 weeks later...

van halen pushed guitar playing to another level,imo.Just listen to "Unchained" cranked up to about 8. ;) Eruption ,awesome.I think he ranks up there with Hendrix,Clapton,Iommi,and Page.They all added something musically to their instrument.Page is still the greatest guitarist of all time ,imho.Just check out the SRTS live version of "Since I've been loving you".I think Jimmy's playing on that track is technically as difficult as Eruption.ajmho.peace.

Then there's Syd Barrett's "technique" ;)

Interstellar Overdrive, what a great tune! Syd Barrett rules! :D

Regarding Van Halen, I love their albums up to 1984. Only good song on that album is Panama, the rest sucks IMHO.

Never liked Eruption, and I have never really thought at it as a song either. The rest of their first album is really great and so is their second record. How can you not love songs like Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, I'm The One, Little Dreamer, Outta Love Again, D.O.A. and Beautiful Girls.

I agree with Jahfin, Van Halen broke new ground with their first album, today's guitarists that are a little bit into hard rock is influenced by Eddie Van Halen wether they know it or not..

I love Van Halen and unlike some others on here, I was ecstatic about the reunion show I saw in Philly. One of the best shows I saw last year (and I do a lot of shows). Eddie is awesome live. Too bad the original line-up broke up back in 1984. They were the band to take over for Zep in the 80's but they blew it.

I'm not a big fan of Van Halen. I don't think they suck, its all there music wise, I just wouldn't buy any of their albums.

Van Halen, at least the original lineup, kinda falls into the Ted Nugent category, in that unless you were around when they were happening, you may not as easily appreciate what they were doing. Lotta people dislike Ted (often because of his politics) but the bottom line is he owned the mid-to-late 70s as far as live performances went. In fact DLR's fast-talking rap was pre-dated by Ted by a number of years (the intro to Wang Dang Sweet Poontang on Double Live Gonzo is a great example). But at the time it came out, Van Halen's first release was epic. It was an aggressive departure (no pun intended) from the likes of Boston, Kansas and Journey, who ruled the airwaves at that time.

Looking back through all that has happened since, it doesn't stand out as significantly.

But at the time, it was face-melting at it's best!

And much like Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid have become fused in our consciousness of recollection, so it is near impossible to achieve fulfillment hearing You Really Got Me without Eruption first kicking the door in.

Van Halen, at least the original lineup, kinda falls into the Ted Nugent category, in that unless you were around when they were happening, you may not as easily appreciate what they were doing. Lotta people dislike Ted (often because of his politics) but the bottom line is he owned the mid-to-late 70s as far as live performances went. In fact DLR's fast-talking rap was pre-dated by Ted by a number of years (the intro to Wang Dang Sweet Poontang on Double Live Gonzo is a great example). But at the time it came out, Van Halen's first release was epic. It was an aggressive departure (no pun intended) from the likes of Boston, Kansas and Journey, who ruled the airwaves at that time.

Looking back through all that has happened since, it doesn't stand out as significantly.

But at the time, it was face-melting at it's best!

And much like Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid have become fused in our consciousness of recollection, so it is near impossible to achieve fulfillment hearing You Really Got Me without Eruption first kicking the door in.

Great post! I'm not a big fan of Ted (apart from early The Amboy Dukes), but I definitely see your point.

I did too- and I was. Mind you , it was in 1978 and they were blowing Black Sabbath off the stage. :D

Here's my dirty little shameful secret...

In the summer of '78, on a weekend night with a friend, and we each had a date.

Riding around in the car, trying to decide what to do.

The choices:

a local kegger (like hundreds of others)

1 hour drive to Tampa to see Journey with opening act Van Halen.

The first album had literally been out for just weeks.

We went to the kegger.

ist2_1242008-ashamed-in-corner.jpg

In fact DLR's fast-talking rap was pre-dated by Ted by a number of years (the intro to Wang Dang Sweet Poontang on Double Live Gonzo is a great example).

You bet your ass, baby. We're here to do it to you one time tonight tonight tonight's the night tonight's the night to do it Nashville Tennessee I do believe it's fine fine so fine double time all mind little bit of rock 'n' roll little bit here little bit there little bit tomorrow night and tonight out there. We're gonna to do it to it. We got to do it to it. We got to have it every night we got to do it to it do it. The fog horn of the people can you hear me talkin' at ya? (Woooo). I think I know what you like, babe. I say I think, I think I say. I know there ain't nobody out there came to be mellow tonight now did ya? I say. I say there ain't. I say there ain't nobody. I say there ain't nobody tonight out there that even wants to be a little bit mellow now is there. Anybody wants to get mellow you can turn around and get the fuck outta here all right. Do you hear me?

:thumbsup:

Archived