Led Zeppelin, as a Backing Band?

Hey-Up,

Ive been looking on the Board for hours, as I've seen somewhere there is a "PJ Proby" topic, so if this on here already, then I'm sorry, BUT....

I found this album called "Three Week Hero", by PJ Proby, that has Led Zeppelin as His backing band back in 1969 & this is what I found on the "PJ Proby Wikipedia site". (As I said, if youv'e read this, I'm sorry, for those who havn't, enjoy...)

Back in the USA

In 1967 Proby scored a Billboard Hot 100 Top 30 hit with "Niki Hoeky". He was then auditioned for the London[citation needed]] production of Finian's Rainbow, but did not get the role and to this day has never been told why. Poor managerial advice led to Proby briefly declaring bankruptcy. He returned to the United States to rest. In September 1968, Proby recorded the album Three Week Hero, which was released in 1969. A collection of country-style ballads mixed with blues, the album is notable more for its association with the new Yardbirds, his backing band, who would later become Led Zeppelin.

All the best Hang-man :ph34r

Hey-Up,

Ive been looking on the Board for hours, as I've seen somewhere there is a "PJ Proby" topic, so if this on here already, then I'm sorry, BUT....

I found this album called "Three Week Hero", by PJ Proby, that has Led Zeppelin as His backing band back in 1969 & this is what I found on the "PJ Proby Wikipedia site". (As I said, if youv'e read this, I'm sorry, for those who havn't, enjoy...)

Back in the USA

In 1967 Proby scored a Billboard Hot 100 Top 30 hit with "Niki Hoeky". He was then auditioned for the London[citation needed]] production of Finian's Rainbow, but did not get the role and to this day has never been told why. Poor managerial advice led to Proby briefly declaring bankruptcy. He returned to the United States to rest. In September 1968, Proby recorded the album Three Week Hero, which was released in 1969. A collection of country-style ballads mixed with blues, the album is notable more for its association with the new Yardbirds, his backing band, who would later become Led Zeppelin.

All the best Hang-man :ph34r

Hey-Up,

All the Best, Hang-man, :ph34r:

John Paul Jones was hired in the summer of 1968 to do the arrangements for P.J. Proby's "comeback" album, Three Week Hero. The producer was Steve Rowland, who (like Proby) was an American who had reinvented himself in England.

Jones joined Led Zeppelin shortly before the album was recorded, so he asked Rowland if his new bandmates could sit in on the sessions. Rowland agreed, which led to all 4 members of the band recording the backing track to "Jim's Blues/George Wallace Is Rollin' In This Morning" (Plant is on harmonica). Page, Bonham & Jones also played on a few other tracks (most notably "Mery Hoppkins Never Had Days Like These"). None of the other songs on the album feature harmonica, although it's possible that Plant contributed to additional songs on percussion or backing vocals.

John Paul Jones was hired in the summer of 1968 to do the arrangements for P.J. Proby's "comeback" album, Three Week Hero. The producer was Steve Rowland, who (like Proby) was an American who had reinvented himself in England.

Jones joined Led Zeppelin shortly before the album was recorded, so he asked Rowland if his new bandmates could sit in on the sessions. Rowland agreed, which led to all 4 members of the band recording the backing track to "Jim's Blues/George Wallace Is Rollin' In This Morning" (Plant is on harmonica). Page, Bonham & Jones also played on a few other tracks (most notably "Mery Hoppkins Never Had Days Like These"). None of the other songs on the album feature harmonica, although it's possible that Plant contributed to additional songs on percussion or backing vocals.

Wow!!! I did not know that!!!! I'm going to try and find some thing on line about it.

Thank's for bringing this up guy's!!!!!

"Jim's Blues" is actually a pretty good tune. You definitely know it's the Zep members on their, due to their distinct playing styles we're all familiar with. All I have is on a cassette from a number of years ago. Got it off of one of the NYC FM stations which played it during some Led Zeppelin special.

Warning: No Zeppelin content . . .

P J Proby was a huge star briefly, his big hit being Hold Me, and he had a ponytail and very very tight pants. So tight that one night on stage they split, causing him to become notorious in all the tabloids--the kind of publicity you couldn't buy. It's still what he's best known for. He once played our local Odeon, which is what IT'S best known for.

I have the Niki Hoeky album. Its not bad. I like to play it when people drop in and the beer is flowing. :D

I've been looking for Three Week Hero at my favorite flea market. Lot of good buys there. I just don't have the hours to spend looking through hundreds of albums, as much I would enjoy it. ;)

"Jim's Blues" is actually a pretty good tune. You definitely know it's the Zep members on their, due to their distinct playing styles we're all familiar with. All I have is on a cassette from a number of years ago. Got it off of one of the NYC FM stations which played it during some Led Zeppelin special.

It is pretty cool to hear.

As an aside - interesting tidbits Aqua!

I have the Niki Hoeky album. Its not bad. I like to play it when people drop in and the beer is flowing. :D

I've been looking for Three Week Hero at my favorite flea market. Lot of good buys there. I just don't have the hours to spend looking through hundreds of albums, as much I would enjoy it. ;)

Hey-Up all,

Good to see that this has a little intrest, but just wanted to add, for those out there trying to get there hands on this album, you can get it at........Amazon, they do or did have it in stock, thats where I'm getting my copy from.

All the best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

This may be of interest.-

Philip Solomon says don't miss my radio show this Monday 27/7/09, (tonight). My special guest is the legendary rock'n'roll singer, P J Proby, who many considered second only to Elvis as the king. Also, a personal friend of EP and inspiration to many including me. This should be a fantastic show. Listen live on WCR 101.8 FM or on the internet at www.wcrfm.com. Phone-in number is 01902 572257.

The show is based in Wolverhampton UK.

Using his deep studio connections, Page got them all a session gig backing Texan singer P.J. Proby (Plant played tombourine.) This gave Page's new group an opportunity to gain some experience working in a studio together.

Guitar World, March 2009

I think the closest you get to having Zeppelin for your backing band is Page and Bonham on Lord Sutch and his Heavy Friends. Recorded in Los Angeles in September 1969, Jimmy produced it, co-wrote half the tracks, and played guitar, and Bonham's drum sound and grooves are straight out of the Zeppelin II era. It has that same production sound.

Then there are the 1968 Donovan Hurdy Gurdy Man sessions too, with Jimmy Page, JPJ and Bonzo.

Hurdy Gurdy was done in two sessions. Page played acoustic on the first session in late 1967, but wasn't available for the 1968 session. Jeff Beck played on the original session. Alan Parker played on the final cut. Clem Cattini played drums. Bonham was still up north with Tim Rose in April when the sessions were taking place. He didn't meet Page and Jones until August. ;)

Archived