JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

The B-Side: Half-ass halftime show

Classic rock acts can't pull through at the Super Bowl

By Brian LaCour

Columnist

The Towerlight

(An Independent Student Newspaper Serving the Towson University Community)

Published: Sunday, February 14, 2010

I don't know a lot about football. I've got a grip on the basic rules and how the game functions, but it's just never been something to really capture my attention.

That said, every year I still get together with some friends to hang out, distill food types to either "fried stuff" or "beer," crack some horrible jokes and watch the Super Bowl.

This year, with having a Towson player (and a few other guys from the CAA) on the winning team, it was definitely a fun game to watch. As well, I'm a sucker for the halftime show.

The first one I distinctly remember is 2001's and how much of an obnoxious spectacle it was that it nearly dwarfed the game itself. Amazingly, the show itself didn't even seem concerned with music.

Rather, it took on the mentality of "how many people can fit onto a stage at once." To 13-year-old me, squeezing nearly every band on the radio into about 10 minutes of bombast, the music was an afterthought too.

In the past few years I suppose the "quality" of the music's gone up, but except for an exception here or there, the shows have become simply boring (thank you, Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson).

The last few shows have been at best, excepting Prince perhaps, safe. There's been rare true excitement from the bands; by grabbing up just about any "classic rock" band willing to take a contract, it's been nothing but groups and artists who at bare minimum were 20 years past their best work. It's been bands that take the performance and go through the motions.

When The Who performed as the headliner for this year, it was the final straw. Mind you, I enjoy them as much as anyone else.

If "Baba O'Riley" starts playing somewhere, I guarantee I'll be the first to sing along (especially to the bridge). However, taking a band that's down to only two surviving members, neither of which can still perform the songs? That's just being rude to the viewers.

I was chatting with my dad about this performance and trying to go over the good points, the best thing mentioned was, "Well, the light show was good." It's to the point where the band is overtaken by its stage.

This wouldn't bother me so much if it were the bands paying to get on the show.

I'd expect the only ones willing or able to cough up the dough for that would be the long-established groups, which make enough from royalties to still maintain the basic status of "filthy rich."

As it stands, the NFL can get anyone they want for the show. It's not as if there isn't competition to get booked.

Why not throw a bone to some bands that could use the extra publicity?

How about Them Crooked Vultures? They made, easily, the best rock album of the year, bucked the trend of bland supergroups and still the deliver the goods live.

For them to have a few A-list stars and sound like Led Zeppelin in its prime (no coincidence, really), it seems odd they aren't Super Bowl material.

In the end, I'm not complaining about getting to hear songs I like.

I'm a fan of all of the bands and artists who have been booked. It is simply disappointing the NFL and whichever network on which the game is shown pick easy material.

I'm not expecting grindcore band A, B or C to pick up the show. I'd probably be concerned for whoever's job if that were the case.

But it'd benefit some deserving bands if a gracious hand were extended.

Until then, by relying on the elder statesmen of the genre, it's stagnant pandering giving us only what we've seen and heard before.

http://www.thetowerl...-show-1.2152566

Edited by SteveAJones

Download Festival is all the Rage!

Derby Telegraph

February 16, 2010

ROCK legends Aerosmith and Rage Against the Machine have today been revealed as headliners of this year's Download Festival.

And the three-day event at Donington Park is set to be the biggest yet, with organisers expanding the arena so that 110,000 fans can be on site each day, 25,000 more than last year.

Aerosmith and Rage will join AC/DC on the main stage at Donington in June.

The line-up for the festival, which is this year marking 30 years of rock at Donington, also includes 30 Seconds to Mars, fronted by Hollywood actor Jared Leto, who last played Download in 2007.

Aerosmith's appearance will mark their return to the main stage at Donington Park for the first time in 16 years. The multi-million-selling band last played as headliners of the Donington Monsters Of Rock festival, which preceded Download, in 1994 and 1990.

American rockers Rage Against the Machine courted controversy last year when an internet campaign saw them clinch the UK Christmas number one ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry.The festival will take place at Donington Park from June 11 to 13.

A spokesman said: "With a line-up that already boasts the likes of Them Crooked Vultures, Megadeth and Motorhead, plus five full days of entertainment, Download Festival has already produced an ultimate festival experience worthy of celebrating 30 years of rock at Donington Park."

Also confirmed to perform at this year's event are the twice Grammy-nominated Stone Sour, fronted by Slipknot's Corey Taylor, Virginia's heaviest metallers Lamb Of God, LA's Five Finger Death Punch, who made their Download debut last year, and British punk 'rebel' Billy Idol, who performed at Download 2005.

There had been questions about the future of the music festival after the failure to bring Grand Prix racing to Donington Park and the construction work which has taken place. But organiser Live Nation confirmed in December the event would be unaffected by the need to find a new lease-holder for the circuit after the collapse of Donington Ventures Leisure Limited.

A further assurance was given by the Wheatcroft family, which owns Donington Park, in January when Kevin Wheatcroft said that Download was "safe".

Download festival promoter Andy Copping said: "Over the past 30 years, Donington Park has staged performances from the greatest rock bands of all time. This year, with the biggest-selling and most respected of all rock bands, AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine and Aerosmith headlining, we feel there is no better way that we could celebrate 30 years at this site. Donington truly is the only home for rock music in the UK."

http://www.thisisder...il/article.html

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators

Live Show Review: Them Crooked Vultures at The Tabernacle

February 16, 2010

tcv-150x150.jpg

Them Crooked Vultures set their perch atop the Tabernacle last Thursday night.

In a music world that seems to be spitting out so called "supergroups" left and right, Them Crooked Vultures are circling and setting their gaze upon the dieing carcass of mainstream rock and it's attempts with bland and uninspired rock and roll.

Them Crooked Vultures have a sound that blends together the quirky inspired fuzzy jams of Josh Homme (Queens of The Stoneage), the mastership bass and keyboard playing of John Paul Jones and the pounding beats of Dave Grohl. With this foundation ,Them Crooked Vultures came out with a sound of their own that is far from the regurgitated let's write one good song that and put out a bunch of weak filler shit to fluff up the rest of the record.

The Tabernacle was sold out and packed with curious and envious fans like myself. For me the highlight was finally getting a chance to see a living legend, John Paul Jones! Their was a vicious rumor of a Led Zeppelin reunion last year that never happen, thus putting an end to my dream of seeing part of rock and roll history. I have seen Josh Homme live once before with The Screaming Trees as a touring guitarist on their Dust tour and it was my first time seeing Dave Grohl.

I make my way to the balcony stage left and find a place on the wall in front of the staircase parallel to the edge of the stage with an unobstructed view. Lights out and the crowd screams as Dave Grohl hits the beats and John Paul Jones starts tapping out a beat to the strutting song 'No One Loves Me and Neither Do I'. Josh Homme squeezes out a high stepping rhythmic riff and struts along sounding as if he is just casually standing on a street corner telling a story. Grohl and Jones rhythm pulse on this song stands out and keeps your internal pecking motion feed!

I made my way downstairs during the next song "Dead End Friends" and end up at the back of the floor hanging out near the doorway.

Next they went into "Scumbag Blues". Josh and touring Guitarists Alain Johannes really shine as they trade licks in the during this jam and Josh pulls off a great trippy Cream inspired vocals then picks it up and blast into "Elephants". Elephants is the song you envisioned when you first heard about this line up. It starts with big fat Zeppelin style riff and a heavy low end groove that spins ahead then accelerates into a whirlwind with the rhythmic power of Grohl, and Jones galloping and crashing into a airy interlude before slamming back into heavy Zeppelin flavored riff to end.

They run through "Highway One" and the first single "New Fang" ,Gunman and Alain solo before they get to "Bandoliers". Introduced as a Love song you can hear the Mark Lanegan influence on Josh's vocal style on this song. "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" was next and probably the most Foo Fighters inspired song of the night.

Through out the night John Paul Jones played a variety of four-, six- and eight-string basses but he pull out his Keytar for "Interlude w/ Lodes". During this song Josh put down his guitar and tries to put on his crooning vocals and hypnotic dance moves in what looked like an attempt to put Jones in a trance, but while watching Josh without his guitar and contorting onstage, I kept getting flashes of Jim Breuer doing his stand up routine about the heavy metal hookie pookie (Why? I don't know but it was pretty funny!)

The free loving "Caligulove" was next with its Doors inspired psyche gushing from it. Next was "Reptiles" then it spun into "Spinning in Daffodils". Jones spins his magic on the keyboards as the song turned into an inspired blues Jam by Homme.

The show ended with the song "Warsaw or The First Breath You Take after You Give Up", the song comes apart and burns up in re-entry as the pace quickens to an incendiary rate with Grohl going primal on the drums, an act that sends Jones and Homme into a fret board fury before the crashing end!

There was no encore, but after that performance there was none needed.

To sum it up, no cookie cutter pseudo-supergroup sound. Just three great musicians playing fuzzy, bluesy inspired jams.

S.E, Metal Meltdown

Article & Photos: http://thesilvertong...ine.com/?p=9212

February 16, 2010 - 17:00

Scandanavia Here They Come!! Jun/Jul Festival Gigs!

Them Crooked Vultures exclusive to Peace & Love!

Peace & Love Festival in Borlange, Sweden June 28-July 3 2010

Peace & Love is now very proud to confirm that the American super group Them Crooked Vultures come to the festival this summer. The band consists of Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, etc.), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin, etc.) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Kyuss, etc.).

It will be super-group's first visit to Sweden and it is exclusively for Peace & Love festival. The band makes no other festival gigs in our country this summer.

The self-titled debut album was released in November and agreed, inter alia, up onto the 12th spot on the U.S. Billboard 200 and the 13th spot on the UK Albums Chart.

http://www.peaceandl...-peace---love-/

Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, and Led Zeppelin in one package!

Hovefestivelen in Tromoy, Norway June 30 2010

Oi. We were almost gasp for air when we some time ago realized that it was actually likely to book a little bit of three of the best bands to Hove in 2010. We have actually a little gasp for air yet. But it is not worse than that we are able to send out a press release to the Norwegian media in the morning. It looks something like this (you read it before the press, so let me know if you find some comma errors!):

The world's most talked about super group is ready for the Hove Festival 2010. Them Crooked Vultures consists of John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin, Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters and Nirvana, and Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age. The band came together in 2009, and the concert at Hove is the band's first in Norway. When the group toured Europe last year, was all the tickets sold out in just a few hours. Hove is next. Wednesday 30 June.

Booking manager Toffen Gunnufsen believes they are a very solid headliner for the festival on Tromøya:

"Despite the fact that the band is less than one year old, there is no doubt that this is something very much like to be with him. Them Crooked Vultures are one of the few super-groups that have worked from day one, there are three major music personalities that together provide a great synergy effect", says Gunnufsen.

"Josh Homme, who has acknowledged in Setesdal played with his own band, Queens of the Stone Age at Hove in 2007. Gunnufsen are very pleased that the rock legends are ready for southern festival".

"It was obvious that Josh Homme cost him when he visited us in 2007 with the Queens of the Stone Age. His family comes from the Setesdal. When I met them backstage, they would at any cost out to the tour despite the fact that both Lyna and thundered! It must be the Viking genes, "he laughs.

"The critics have been over in concert reviews of the group, and the self-titled debut album, considered by many as one of last year's strongest rock album. This country was the album ten weeks on VG-lista".

Press reports:

"Super trio do not save anything, and delivers rock of the monster class .... They will land at all musically somewhere between Queens and the Zep, but makes them still more important than to make up for the reunion of Led Zeppelin that Robert Plant will not. Aftenposten about debut album "Aftenposten on their debut album.

"It is wrong to say that a new star is born, but we can try us with the three stars are born again." Dagbladet about the debut album.

"It does not sound like the work of rich but Wed holiday, but rather three serious individuals looking two prove themselves over again." Mojo Magazine about the debut album

"History tells us that super groups usually do not last very long. But at least this particular one is off to a rousing start. "Chicago Tribune on the debut concert

"... A super group that not only deserves that appellation, but which actually is greater than the sum of its storied party" Chicago Sun-Times about the debut

Them Crooked Vultures to Roskilde

Roskilde Festival in Roskilde, Denmark July 1-4 2010

The super group with members from Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin and Queens of the Stone Age is ready to rock this summer's festival.Such a lineup almost sounds too good to be true – Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme in one and the same band!

Nonetheless, the band is a living reality, and we are proud to present this scorching hot rock phenomenon as one of this year's headliners at Roskilde Festival.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES (US/UK) almost set a new standard for rock super groups. The lineup is as follows: Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters and Nirvana on the drums, Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on bass and Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age on vocals/guitar.

The band has put out an album full of psychedelic, groovy rock music, and the joy of playing is so big that the three rock godfathers have already promised a follow-up.

With Them Crooked Vultures we present both legends of 24-carat gold and a new sparkling star on the international rock sky.

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/uk/

Edited by SteveAJones

Them Crooked Vultures XBOX 360 Rock Band 2 Giveaway

Still riding high on the release of their self titled album, Them Crooked Vultures, Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, and bassist John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin have been giving fans the sound of a super group three pack on the heels of the Them Crooked Vultures singles, "New Fang" and "Mind Eraser, No Chaser".

Now via TheDeadbolt, Them Crooked Vultures are giving one fan even more in the way of Rock Band 2 on XBOX 360.

Them Crooked Vultures XBOX 360 Rock Band 2 Giveaway

Them Crooked Vultures, hot off a mind-erasing Saturday Night Live performance, and the release of their debut album are teaming up with The Deadbolt to give one lucky fan a chance to score a sweet prize pack. One winner will be able to jam to Them Crooked Vultures on Rock Band 2 on their brand new XBOX 360!

The self-titled debut album from the three rock legends, Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones, is in stores now and features "New Fang," "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and a bunch of other songs you can rock your arse to.

Rock this way now for the details and to enter the Them Crooked Vultures XBOX 360 Rock Band 2 Giveaway.

Good luck!

http://www.thedeadbo...d_2_contest.php

Edited by SteveAJones

Ditto, thanks Sam..I was waiting as well. Great summary.. I still had the best place in the house. Again, what an event :notworthy:

Yes. Thanks, Sam. It was a great/amazing show. So powerful. I'm still in awe. 3 times in the last week to see TCV (on SNL, live and then on ACL).

It had been 10 years since I saw JPJ at the Roxy here (March, 2000 from his Zooma tour).

R B)

Yes. Thanks, Sam. It was a great/amazing show. So powerful. I'm still in awe. 3 times in the last week to see TCV (on SNL, live and then on ACL).

It had been 10 years since I saw JPJ at the Roxy here (March, 2000 from his Zooma tour).

R B)

Reids...where were you???

Two things I noticed in the ACL show: In the interview, Dave was quick to mention the name of the Foo Fighters' album that JPJ played on, and Josh glances at him as if to say, "plugging your old band's albums, eh?"

JPJ was fiddling with his gear and forgot to sing right after the line, "Piss on the sheets", and looks annoyed with himself.

Edited by PhxHorn

Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam June 6, 2010

Them Crooked Vultures weer naar Amsterdam

17 February 2010

AMSTERDAM - De 'supergroup' Them Crooked Vultures geeft op 10 juni een concert in de Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam.

De band is een samenwerking van Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age) en John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin). In november brachten de rockers een goed ontvangen album uit met dezelfde naam.De band gaf in augustus een drukbezocht geheim optreden in De Melkweg in Amsterdam, dat in juni een vervolg krijgt op een groter podium. Ook deed Them Crooked Vultures festival Lowlands aan als surprise-act.

De voorverkoop voor het concert begint zaterdag.

http://www.nu.nl/muziek/2186541/them-crooked-vultures-weer-amsterdam.html

Great JPJ solo, Deborah J. Thanks for sharing so much from your show!! :thumbsup:

Hello Walter!

It was unbelievable to be so close and watch this man.The whole show was unbelievable to say the least! I stated earlier, that for a brief moment during this solo I closed my eyes and could see Robert blasting his vocals and Jimmy taking off on a riff and Bonzo in his glory (I am certainly not taking anything away from TCV other members), but I could not help it. I just could not believe that our JPJ was there in front of me, and I swear the man does not look a day older than his mid forties. The crowd was great and the band felt that which makes the event even better as well. It was packed to the rafters and the Tabernacle is such a great venue.

Have you been able to see them live yet?

:D

The sound quality is not great on this, but I am the blond up front directly in front of JPJ's keyboards taking pictures and jumping around :lol:

Them Crooked Vultures: Atlanta: The Tabernacle 2-11-2010

Edited by Deborah J