JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

I am so happy! I was able to get tickets to the TCV Chicago show for May!! :yay:

I can't wait. I have never seen JPJ live. I have seen Jimmy with The Firm and Robert a couple years ago with Alison.

I bought the TCV cd the day it was released and had been listening to it even before then since they had it out on youtube to listen to. Haven't gotten tired of listening to it yet!

I am counting down the days till May 18th!!! :D

hearing this makes me feel like packing my bags for the vegas show on 4/17.

I was tempted before this new song, now it's really tempting.

and with no guarantees they'll be back in ny....it hurts. I could be back home by monday...

what to do, what to do.

Hmm, more new songs in vegas?!? If anywhere, why not LA and Vegas!

• Administrators

Them Crooked Vultures preview their Coachella set at Club Nokia

April 15, 2010

“We're having a good time up here,” a swaggering, smiling Josh Homme announced to cheers at Club Nokia on Wednesday. He was midway through a two-hour set with Them Crooked Vultures, his band with drummer Dave Grohl and bassist John Paul Jones, and together they were demonstrating just how far they've come in a year.

Delivering heavy rock with real flair and finesse is a good trick from any rock act, and an impressive resume is no guarantee for success. That was the challenge when Them Crooked Vultures was birthed last year by singer-guitarist Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and Jones (Led Zeppelin). The label “super-group” comes with its own built-in disappointment.

It turns out that the band's self-titled debut album was only the beginning of where the band would go. At Nokia, Them Crooked Vultures launched that same material much further into the stratosphere, stretched out not only into extended jams but explosive, well-constructed passages, while never wandering off a sonic cliff.

It's the sound of a band of distinctive artists who have been traveling and challenging one another on the road and onstage for a year of intense experimentation and play, and a clue to the band's Friday night set at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival. The songs have only grown deeper, heavier and looser with time and practice.

As they have from their first shows, they were joined onstage by guitarist Alain Johannes, a longtime associate of Homme's. Grohl spent the night bent and grimacing over his drums, pounding gut-punch beats with gloved hands, already soaked within the first few minutes.

There was the full, bruising stomp of “No One Loves Me & Neither Do I,” with Jones cradling a 12-string lap-steel bass, adding to the kind of thunder you might imagine roaring from a visiting spaceship. “Scumbag Blues” sounded something like the heaviest brand of blues-rock that once emerged from the '60s London music scene, echoing Cream with Homme doing a Jack Bruce falsetto, shifting into layers of shimmering, spacey guitar from Homme and Johannes.

Comedy relief came in the form of “Interludes With Ludes,” as Homme put his guitar down to sing warped romantic lyrics ("Is my face still bleeding? Then what is your problem?") and dance around the stage, tossing a burning cigarette over his shoulder, leaving room for a searing, unhurried solo from Johannes.

There were new songs, suggesting fresh directions for the band, but it could be a while before fans see Them Crooked Vultures again. Homme's QOTSA has scheduled shows this summer in Europe, and Grohl recently revealed plans to reunite with his Foo Fighters to make a (literal) garage recording with producer Butch Vig, inevitably putting the Vultures on hold.

Their return will be anxiously awaited by connoisseurs of hard rock. A band of this ability, and willingness to challenge itself, is a rare find. The stakes could be heard in the night's set-closing “Warsaw On the First Breath You Take After You Give Up,” a thundering, melodic storm of sound stretched to 13 minutes. When it was over (as usual, with no encore), both the band and its fans looked utterly spent and happy, and ready for a little bit more.

- Steve Appleford

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/04/them-crooked-vultures-nokia-live.html

• Administrators

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival worth the wait

Fans praise acts, crowd energy despite long lines, volcano-related cancellations

By Bruce Fessier • The Desert Sun • April 17, 2010

A volcano on the other side of the world and record crowds kept Day 1 of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival from unfolding exactly as planned, but the music still flowed smoothly from a wide array of sources at the Empire Polo Club in Indio on Friday.

The UK band the Cribs, featuring former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, missed their afternoon set at the Outdoor Theatre because of complications from the volcano in Iceland, which caused flight cancellations from Great Britain.

A record 75,000 people created traffic jams and uncomfortable lines getting into the festival. When the event staff ran out of wristbands on Friday afternoon, Indio Police Sgt. Ben Guitron said, "People are getting impatient. It's a little hot and the lines are long."

But once the crowd made it to the expansive green festival grounds decorated with bizarre art installations and thousands of rose bushes, the collective blood pressure seemed to drop. Temperatures were actually among the mildest in Coachella history.

"I think it's really hard to get in and, once you get in, it's magical," said Jackie Marchand of New York, who waited an hour-and-a-half to get into the festival gates. "I think they could streamline the process, (but) I like the diversity of music and it's a really good spirit. Everybody's having a good time and there's not any bad energy."

Hometown rock star Josh Homme served as somewhat of an ambassador for the Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice promoters when his latest band, Them Crooked Vultures, came on the Main Stage after sundown and dedicated a song from their 2009 self-titled debut album, "Dead End Kids," to friends who could have joined him at 1990s generator parties in the desert.

"You know me, this is my home town," the singer-guitarist said. "I'm Joshua."

Them Crooked Vultures, featuring Nirvana and Foo Fighters star Dave Grohl on drums and Led Zeppelin legend John Paul Jones on bass with local Alain Johannes on second guitar, played a wide range of powerful, straightahead rock, including their first single, "New Fang," and the Cream-inspired "Scumbag Blues."

Coachella, now in its 11th year as the most acclaimed music festival in the United States, is known for its diverse music. But Day 1 seemed to push that envelope as much as the festival expanded in size.

http://www.mydesert....-worth-the-wait

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival worth the wait

Fans praise acts, crowd energy despite long lines, volcano-related cancellations

By Bruce Fessier • The Desert Sun • April 17, 2010

A volcano on the other side of the world and record crowds kept Day 1 of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival from unfolding exactly as planned, but the music still flowed smoothly from a wide array of sources at the Empire Polo Club in Indio on Friday.

The UK band the Cribs, featuring former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, missed their afternoon set at the Outdoor Theatre because of complications from the volcano in Iceland, which caused flight cancellations from Great Britain.

A record 75,000 people created traffic jams and uncomfortable lines getting into the festival. When the event staff ran out of wristbands on Friday afternoon, Indio Police Sgt. Ben Guitron said, "People are getting impatient. It's a little hot and the lines are long."

But once the crowd made it to the expansive green festival grounds decorated with bizarre art installations and thousands of rose bushes, the collective blood pressure seemed to drop. Temperatures were actually among the mildest in Coachella history.

"I think it's really hard to get in and, once you get in, it's magical," said Jackie Marchand of New York, who waited an hour-and-a-half to get into the festival gates. "I think they could streamline the process, (but) I like the diversity of music and it's a really good spirit. Everybody's having a good time and there's not any bad energy."

Hometown rock star Josh Homme served as somewhat of an ambassador for the Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice promoters when his latest band, Them Crooked Vultures, came on the Main Stage after sundown and dedicated a song from their 2009 self-titled debut album, "Dead End Kids," to friends who could have joined him at 1990s generator parties in the desert.

"You know me, this is my home town," the singer-guitarist said. "I'm Joshua."

Them Crooked Vultures, featuring Nirvana and Foo Fighters star Dave Grohl on drums and Led Zeppelin legend John Paul Jones on bass with local Alain Johannes on second guitar, played a wide range of powerful, straightahead rock, including their first single, "New Fang," and the Cream-inspired "Scumbag Blues."

Coachella, now in its 11th year as the most acclaimed music festival in the United States, is known for its diverse music. But Day 1 seemed to push that envelope as much as the festival expanded in size.

http://www.mydesert....-worth-the-wait

Going to see Them Crooked Vultures tonight here in Las Vegas! I am taking my 12 year old son and his best friend it is there first rock concert... It is only fitting as my first concert was Led Zeppelin when I was 13... I can't wait!

Going to see Them Crooked Vultures tonight here in Las Vegas! I am taking my 12 year old son and his best friend it is there first rock concert... It is only fitting as my first concert was Led Zeppelin when I was 13... I can't wait!

Hello allbettsareoff!

We want details. Are they just the best live!!!

• Administrators

Them Crooked rock stars

John Paul Jones leads Them Crooked Vultures through rocking show at The Joint

http://www.lasvegass...ked-rock-stars/

scaled.4_17_10_B_crooked_vultures_kabik-94-35_t651.jpg?f88c8649bbadbb805ebb7b1c2020cc5b10765421

By Sarah Feldberg

Monday, April 19, 2010 | 2 p.m.

Them Crooked Vultures at The Joint

Up on the second balcony of The Joint during Saturday night's Them Crooked Vultures show, a woman was getting into it. Dressed in jeans and a cropped shirt she whipped her hair around her and danced in a style reminiscent of a 1970s rock-doc. It was hypnotizing.

And she wasn't the only one rocking out. Opposite the anonymous fan, Them Crooked Vultures also were feeling it, albeit with a bit less hair action, except for drummer Dave Grohl, whose furious head swinging might have given a lesser man whiplash. But this was not a night of weak-necked men or half-hearted rock. Them Crooked Vultures are what media folk love (and musicians loathe) to call a supergroup — singer Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl, and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones. In case you're wondering where in that list you should scream the loudest, it's when we get to Mr. Jones. Ready? Woot! Woot!

Indeed, despite his talented band mates — and the addition of none-too-shabby utility man Alain Johannes on guitar — the Vultures' two-hour Joint performance likely could have been called The John Paul Jones Show and drawn the same crowd. If we'd had one of those hokey noise-o-meters the mere mention of John Paul Jones' name would have cracked the red zone, and not without reason. Jones easily was the star of the Joint's one-year anniversary show, taking turns on at least half a dozen instruments, including keyboard, keytar, something fiddle-ish and more varieties of bass than I previously knew existed. The man's got chops to spare and an instrument closet befitting his decades in the music business.

As the foursome played through songs off their self-titled first album like "Dead End Friend," "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" and "Bandolier," each band member added their own ingredient to a solid rock stew that ricocheted between blues, psychedelic and hard rock without ever sounding unnatural. The Vultures don't genre hop so much as they slip into each style like they're putting on a well-made coat. Somehow, they all fit.

And they play the role of rock stars just as easily. Josh Homme in particular performs with so much swagger he practically could style his hair with it. Without coming off like a total jerk, the man smoked cigarettes mid-set and swigged vodka straight from the bottle. When he said he'd been kicked out of nearly every bar and club in town, I was inclined to believe it wasn't all talk.

LasVegasWeekly.com

The show was in one word INCREDIBLE! I brought my son and his best friend (both12)and they loved it...I want to thank TCV's sound man for letting us stand behind his gear so the kids had the best seats in the house...They really enjoyed themselves!The whole night was awesome and the band was just outstanding! It is one that I will never forget...

The show was in one word INCREDIBLE! I brought my son and his best friend (both12)and they loved it...I want to thank TCV's sound man for letting us stand behind his gear so the kids had the best seats in the house...They really enjoyed themselves!The whole night was awesome and the band was just outstanding! It is one that I will never forget...

Glad you had a great time! I am so ready to go see them again. I just kept looking at JPJ and smiling and soaking in every note the building. The whole band is awesome and had a lot of fun with us as an audience! I am sure your son will never forget this :D

Sam- What another great write they received from a show!

Warner administers Them Crooked Vultures works

Wednesday April 21, 2010

By Charlotte Otter

Warner/Chappell Music has announced details of a worldwide publishing agreement with Them Crooked Vultures artists, John Paul Jones and Joshua Homme which will see the publisher administer the rights of the songs from the band's debut album.

The move will also see the company look after any future compositions with the group which is comprised of former Led Zeppelin bassist, John Paul Jones, Queens of the Stone Age front man, Joshua Homme and Foo Fighters front man, Dave Grohl.

As well as Them Crooked Vultures works, Warner also currently administers the Led Zeppelin catalogue as well as Grohl's interests in the first four records by Grohl's Foo Fighters and Grohl-era Nirvana material.

Warner/Chappell Music President and Chairman and CEO, Warner/Chappell Music U.S. Scott Francis, says: "John and Joshua are two incredibly talented songwriters and distinguished artists who have each blazed impressive paths in their careers.

"We look forward to them continuing to push the envelope further with Them Crooked Vultures."

http://www.musicweek...ode=1040888&c=1

Archived