Why wasn't "Thank You" mixed for The Song Remains The Same soundtrack?

LedZeppe75

The answer lies in the question. Thank You wasn't part of the set. It was only played once. Chances are they weren't prepared to film it, and simply didn't have enough to include it. For all we know, the cameramen were probably pulling their film and suddenly said "Wha?"

There could have been a problem with the recording as we know where was during the RAH show but TY was left off WTWWW aswell so perhaps Page or Plant simpley doesnt like it? Does seem a bit strange since IMHO it was one of there strongest live tracks but I spose it is rather "hippish" and perhaps goes agenst the image they wanted to project for latter shows?

Just my personal opinion, but I find the Thank-You organ solo to be very boring and quite dated. I also think that none of the bootlegs probably do it much justice. Organ sounds don't seem to translate well on any bootlegs by anybody.

"Thank You" is a very poignant and touching song as done live by the boys.

I always enjoyed the live bootleg versions I listened to.

I don't have a particular date in mind... just any live recording from the 70's will do....

Can't say why it wasn't included... but it should have made it onto the soundtrack !!

There could have been a problem with the recording as we know where was during the RAH show but TY was left off WTWWW aswell so perhaps Page or Plant simpley doesnt like it? Does seem a bit strange since IMHO it was one of there strongest live tracks but I spose it is rather "hippish" and perhaps goes agenst the image they wanted to project for latter shows?

Perhaps, but they did perform it in the Page/Plant era. ;)

Just my personal opinion, but I find the Thank-You organ solo to be very boring and quite dated. I also think that none of the bootlegs probably do it much justice. Organ sounds don't seem to translate well on any bootlegs by anybody.

I agree alot of the organ solo's don't work brilliantly(never been to fond of the more "experimental" ones) outside of the concert but MSG 73 and LA 72 are two of my favourites, really nice gospel work on the former and a great version of Louie Louie on the latter. Page could have cut the solo and still included the rest of the track of cource but HTWWW espeically was a big missed oportunites for me, really epic performance that was a large part of why that show became so legendary on bootleg IMHO.

I agree...Thank you is actually one of the few songs by Zep which sound dated.

• 4 years later...

I think it was simply because it was only played once at MSG 73' and once at the California concerts that made HTWWW, and each of the two didn't have the sound quality Page wants to put out there which the set list on each album were played several times each so they got to pick through a few and find the best. I'm pretty sure Zeppelin liked the song or else they wouldn't have played it (especially for epic encores) and the organ solo sounded a dated but Thank You wasn't dated LIVE, it had a 2-4 minute wicked guitar solo depending on shows lol

Archived