Why does Zep seem cooler againt other bands

McSeven

I don't drink. Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin. They had a style of music, a style of performing that they were very good at. So did Pink Floyd. I just happen to think that Pink Floyd were more innovative and creative at what they did. Just because I'm a Zep fan and post on a Zep board doesn't mean I'm going to hide what I feel other bands did better. There's no shame in that. It's not like I substituted Pink Floyd for Oasis or Girls Aloud.

No there isn't any shame in talking about other bands you like, or the fact you like other bands better. Be pretty boring to only listen to one band all the time IMO.

Well, in my honest belief, Led Zeppelin is no where near as off the wall as group's like, Pink Floyd are! The Rolling Stone's are more on the R&B side of thing's (but not totally). The Who is, as they them selves put it, "Musical Sensationalism", The Who I see as a bunch of noise! Well organized, but just noise, I see this group as the original "Alternative" band! The Stone's an R&B group with some 1950's rock and roll & light funk mixed in. The Beatle's, they are an R&B band with 1950's rock and roll mixed as well but more clean cut, that is until you get to the later record's.

I like all of these group's a lot and respect them and there work.

Or you can just look at how many people are on this group posting, "how cool Led Zeppelin is" and judge for your self:)

I had a friend tell me that whenever Zep is mentioned against other bands. Zep always comes off with class.

:guns:<_< Well, on the DDD (Digital Dream Door) forum (a music forum) Zep lost the battle on the "Greatest Rock Artist" list against The Who (Zep = 8, Who =7) (after a debate of 700 pages). That made me physically sick. But it's winning 2:1 the poll (Who vs Zep) :slapface:

:guns:<_< Well, on the DDD (Digital Dream Door) forum (a music forum) Zep lost the battle on the "Greatest Rock Artist" list against The Who (Zep = 8, Who =7) (after a debate of 700 pages). That made me physically sick. But it's winning 2:1 the poll (Who vs Zep) :slapface:

Let me see if I understand this. Led Zeppelin losing a completely arbitrary and subjective poll on a message board made you physically sick. That is what you're telling us.

You're taking this too seriously. Go lie down before you hurt yourself.

I've never really thought about stuff like this but compared to others I don't see the members of Zep as the cool people. I don't think they were concerned about that nor did they make an effort. Guys like Keith Richards and Gram Parsons were cool personified, Zep not so much.

Honestly McSeven I sometimes think you live in your own world when it comes to Zep, you make some odd remarks that are often off base. Led Zep has been pretty outspoken that they were about the music. It wasn't about being cool ever. Same thing with your weird Zep is funk comments. Zep is the antithesis of funk. Funk is a stripped back musical style, bare bones with no excess. Everything about LZ music is excess, they were hotrod band of excetional players who were often extreme in their approach to their instruments. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but you are trying to reinvent Zep in an image that suits you.

I don't drink. Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin. They had a style of music, a style of performing that they were very good at.

But here is the point. Zeppelin's style of music was all over the place and diverse. The style of Bron-y-Aur stomp is nothing like the style of No Quarter. :)

I just happen to think that Pink Floyd were more innovative and creative at what they did.

I would argue that Zeppelin were more innovative and creative live. Nobody but nobody could do 360 degree turnarounds on stage like Zeppelin. Certainly not as well, at any rate. Within one song they could totally mix it up and go off on some crazy tangent that other bands wouldn't even dare to try.

I would also argue that Zeppelin indulged in more musical styles and directions than Floyd ever did. Zeppelin's spectrum was broader, in my opinion. B)

Just because I'm a Zep fan and post on a Zep board doesn't mean I'm going to hide what I feel other bands did better. There's no shame in that.

I agree. There is no shame in that..............but the way I saw it, you implied that Zeppelin were merely a debauched funtime arena band, in contrast to the musical godliness genius of Floyd. Motley Crue were just a debauched goodtime arena band. Not Zep. Led Zeppelin were much much more. But I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it sounded. :)

I'll also add that I don't think any guitarist (no, not even Keith Richards) ever looked as 'cool' as Jimmy Page with his low slung Les Paul and dark hair covering his face. At least, in the early days. Pagey even looked cool wearing that tank top at the RAH. I mean, who else could get away with that and still look cool? :)

Bonzo also looked the 'coolest' drummer ever. I can't even think of any other drummer that looks even remotely cool like Bonzo. And please nobody mention Moon. He looked like a nutter and not even a cool nutter. :D

Even Planty looked cool before he started wearing ladies blouses. :P

Poor JPJ though. I don't think he ever looked cool. But, when you've got that much talent, who needs to?

Well, I don't see the need to claim one band is cooler than the other.

So what if people disagree with you? Those are simply thoughts. While I personally prefer Zeppelin, I have no problem with Electrophile thinking Pink Floyd is cooler and have no need to convince her.

So what if people disagree with you? Those are simply thoughts. While I personally prefer Zeppelin, I have no problem with Electrophile thinking Pink Floyd is cooler and have no need to convince her.

Good for you. You aren't me. :P

You missed the salient point. It was Electrophile's apparant relegating of Led Zeppelin to a debauched good time arena band that I wanted to address (in comparison to Pink Floyd's musical genius). I don't care if it was just an opinion or a thought.

If we are to ignore everyone else's opinions and thoughts and not respond to them then what's the bloody point of a message discussion board in the first place? Electrophile herself earlier made fun of somebody else's thoughts about feeling physically sick at the result of an internet poll so I don't think she needs anybody like you trying to stick up for her. I'm not even making fun of her. Just eloquently disagreeing. :)

You missed the salient point. It was Electrophile's apparant relegating of Led Zeppelin to a debauched good time arena band that I wanted to address (in comparison to Pink Floyd's musical genius). I don't care if it was just an opinion or a thought.

If we are to ignore everyone else's opinions and thoughts and not respond to them then what's the bloody point of a message discussion board in the first place? Electrophile herself earlier made fun of somebody else's thoughts about feeling physically sick at the result of an internet poll so I don't think she needs anybody like you trying to stick up for her. I'm not even making fun of her. Just eloquently disagreeing. :)

I'm not sure, I simply don't see that is what she tried to say.

To me, it's obvious that she holds both bands very high for their musical genius. She just didn't want to go on with huge amount of details and analysis to tell why she thinks Pink Floyd of cooler, so she simply made a metaphor which I think you might have over-analysed.

Nothing wrong with discussing one's opinions on a subject at all - you absolutely should! I'm not trying to stick up for her but I don't think that electrophile was trying to say Zep wasn't creative or innovative and just some good time arena band though. It's clear she is a big fan but for her, she sees Floyd's musical output as more innovative. She's presenting her opinions just like you did and neither of you did so in a way that should cause any issues. Doesn't bother me at all - people should like what they like and Zep isn't going to be the "best" for everyone.

Let me see if I understand this. Led Zeppelin losing a completely arbitrary and subjective poll on a message board made you physically sick. That is what you're telling us.

You're taking this too seriously. Go lie down before you hurt yourself.

Nope, I was saying that wining the poll, but losing the debate made pe physically sick.

And I love the McSeven threads! He sure love his Zeppelin (and I do the same). He seems a person who saw the light, not just a nose rised snob, like so many others.

Is not like he was "trolling" random on the internet! This is Zep's website. We are alowed to express out love for Zeppelin(so, atleast, it should be allowed).

Nope, I was saying that wining the poll, but losing the debate made pe physically sick.

You're taking this too seriously. Go lie down before you hurt yourself. If you seriously get physically ill at the idea of a band losing a subjective debate over who is better ON THE INTERNET, something is wrong and it's not with everyone else.

I can't even fathom how anyone could take anything that is not their family or health that seriously. Oy gevalt.

I can't even fathom how anyone could take anything that is not their family or health that seriously. Oy gevalt.

Agreed. Equally strange is how some fans "need" for LZ to be THE BEST of everything. I always detect a bit of insecurity from those types. It's as if being able to identify with the band lends their own lives some imaginary credibility.

Agreed. Equally strange is how some fans "need" for LZ to be THE BEST of everything. I always detect a bit of insecurity from those types. It's as if being able to identify with the band lends their own lives some imaginary credibility.

You know what. I love Zep. Instead of doing drugs or drinking to get away from my trouble. I put on Zep and other music. I work out and travel as well. My posts are just my way of entertaining myself though discussion.

The Cool factor of Zep is there Rock and Roll rep. I had a friend of mine a long time ago state to me that Zep fans always made Zep out to be cool. It was my friends statement that made me want to post this thread.

Hendrix/Joplin/The Doors have that same vibe as well. They are not at simplistic as say AcDc. Who are great by the way.

Mc7

It's pretty funny watching people try to cut each other down over topics like this sometimes. I once voiced the opinion that in terms of musical acheivement, Queen reached greater heights than The Beatles. Imagine the earful I got for THAT one!! :lol:

You know what. I love Zep. Instead of doing drugs or drinking to get away from my trouble. I put on Zep and other music. I work out and travel as well. My posts are just my way of entertaining myself though discussion.

Which is great, music can be a lot of fun and way to keep a person busy. I am all for that. However sometimes your posts are kind of strange. You have a tendency to post in absolutes when it's really your opinion. Using this thread as an example, "Why does Zep seem cooler against other bands". That really depends of who you ask. Personally I don't think LZ was cool in a "hey look we're the cool kids in school" Heathers kind of way. Honestly that is best left to people who care about that kind of stuff, like 'tweens and cheerleaders.

I know this is all in fun and I'm not trying to run you down but some of the "fanboy" posts here and at other forums are pretty darn out there, the devotion of some is like some twisted rock and roll version of Fatal Attraction.

I'm not sure, I simply don't see that is what she tried to say.

To me, it's obvious that she holds both bands very high for their musical genius. She just didn't want to go on with huge amount of details and analysis to tell why she thinks Pink Floyd of cooler, so she simply made a metaphor which I think you might have over-analysed.

It was there in black and white. She also said and I quote:

"" (Floyd) did things musically and lyrically Zeppelin could never dream of""

She's not saying this an an opinion, but as a fact. I would say that's a somewhat put down of Zeppelin, and then to equate them (Zep) to being a "debauched good time area band", well it doesn't take any over-analysis at all. That is exactly what was written. There was no hidden meaning there, but I do accept she might not have meant the 'debauched good time arena' band comment in the way it was put. :D

Regardless of all that, I still don't think many people have caught the jist of the thread topic. It's not just about musical abilities but rather why a lot of folks think Led Zeppelin are 'cool' compared to other bands and the argument that not all people think like that is an irrelevant one. The fact is a lot of folks DO think Led Zeppelin are cooler compared to some other bands and the question was why do we think this is the case with THOSE people. This thread is not about those who don't think they are cool but it's about those who DO think they are cool....and there are plenty of them. The young kids who think it's cool to wear a Zeppelin t-shirt while they wouldn't be seen dead in a Beatles t-shirt.

I'm one of the few people to even bother to try and answer the question, while others were ripping into the opening poster. Besides the music, and the look of the band we also have the added fact that Zep were 'cool' to remain out of the mainstream of the (then) estabished way of doing things. I would say Led Zeppelin's approach to becoming a highly successful band was a very 'cool' one and they didn't whore themselves to the media in order to do it. :)

So that's damn fecking 'cool' as far as I'm concerned. B)

PS) Folks on a Led Zeppelin dedicated forum getting irritated at others who think Led Zeppelin were the greatest thing since mashed potatoes is just ever so slightly bizaare. If you are going to get people who think that LZ are unrivalled........well it's going to be here isn't it? It really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

Maybe I should join a Star Wars forum and act all surprised and irritated whenever somebody thinks Star Wars is the greatest film ever?

Sheesh people. :rolleyes:

It was there in black and white. She also said and I quote:

"" (Floyd) did things musically and lyrically Zeppelin could never dream of""

She's not saying this an an opinion, but as a fact. I would say that's a somewhat put down of Zeppelin, and then to equate them (Zep) to being a "debauched good time area band", well it doesn't take any over-analysis at all. That is exactly what was written. There was no hidden meaning there, but I do accept she might not have meant the 'debauched good time arena' band comment in the way it was put. :D

Regardless of all that, I still don't think many people have caught the jist of the thread topic. It's not about musical abilities but rather why a lot of folks think Led Zeppelin are 'cool' compared to other bands and the argument that not all people think like that is an irrelevant one. The fact is a lot of folks DO think Led Zeppelin are cooler compared to some other bands and the question was why do we think this is the case with THOSE people. This thread is not about those who don't think they are cool but it's about those who DO think they are cool....and there are plenty of them. The young kids who think it's cool to wear a Zeppelin t-shirt while they wouldn't be seen dead in a Beatles t-shirt.

I'm one of the few people to even bother to try and answer the question. Besides the look of the band we also have the added fact that Zep were 'cool' to remain out of the mainstream of the(then) estabished way of doing things. I would say Led Zeppelin's approach to becoming a highly successful band was a very 'cool' one and they didn't whore themselves to the media in order to do it. :)

So that's damn fecking 'cool' as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, since I am a non-native speaker, there could have been misunderstanding on my part as well.

I understood the sentence you highlighted here as "Pink Floyd has taken a totally different direction, musically and lyrically, than Led Zeppelin".

Hey, I'm a Zeppelin fan, I prefer Led Zeppelin hugely to Pink Floyd. Could Pink Floyd ever have dreamed about the music and lyrics Zeppelin has made? I don't think so. So I don't take it as an insult vice versa.

Ok, since I am a non-native speaker, there could have been misunderstanding on my part as well.

I understood the sentence you highlighted here as "Pink Floyd has taken a totally different direction, musically and lyrically, than Led Zeppelin".

It's funny how people can see things differently. :)

When people say "so and so couldn't even dream of blah blah blah" I tend to view that as a put down. It's like saying "even in their dreams they could never be as good".

See, I happen to think that something like Ten Years Gone is about as wonderful and as genius as music gets. At the very least, it's not far from it. :)

Archived