I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

First off, I watched St. Vincent twice, Friday night alone and again Saturday evening with my wife.

And I cried both times.

I really loved it.

Bill Murray remains as awesome as ever.

We watched it last night. Bill Murray was great. He reminded me of my brother with the boozing, womanizing and track betting. My brother though would have told the little boy to go play on the freeway. :lol:

We've also seen some great movies on Netflix/ROKU........'Butterfly' was excellent about Spain just prior to the civil war. Also have caught some early Sophia Loren movies and another called 'Cinema Paradiso.'

You really have to skim through all the crap movies to find the good ones though. We also want to see 'Woman In Gold.'

Saw it for the first time just before I made that post. It definitely lived up to expectations. Exceed them even... :o;)

When I was young, like 9 or so, I'd wake up at 4:30am sneek into the living room and watch the old B horror movies. Ed Woods movies seemed to always be on!

Any other recommendations?

You've gotta see "Teenagers from Outer Space". Hysterically bad. Others I whole-heartedly recommend are "It Came from Outer Space", "Curse of the Demon", "Trog"(with freaking Joan Crawford!), and "The Giant Claw"...the most inept monster ever!

I could give you tons more, but this will get you started.

You've gotta see "Teenagers from Outer Space". Hysterically bad. Others I whole-heartedly recommend are "It Came from Outer Space", "Curse of the Demon", "Trog"(with freaking Joan Crawford!), and "The Giant Claw"...the most inept monster ever!

Ok I'll have a movie marathon this weekend. Thanks Strider! :popcorn2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f7NND8sJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hucvkF4ASew

Hilarious. That's one scary monster, lmao. A little more coherent than Plan 9, although the "effects" were just... wow. :hysterical:

teenspace7.jpgteenagers_3.jpgteenagers-from-outer-space-pic3.jpg

Funny how many of these movies have 'from Outer Space' in the title.

Imitation Game is great. Haven't seen 'Unbroken' yet.

Weekend ended up being busy, did not get to watch Imitation Game, but it's next on the list.

Unbroken is a wonderful story about a remarkable man. To imagine all that Louis Zamperini endured sure makes my every-day struggles so insignificant.

Watched "Woman in Gold" today with Helen Mirren as the woman who tries to get back Klimt paintings (including the famous one of her aunt in the title) stolen by Nazis and Ryan Reynolds as the lawyer who helps her. Very glad that it worked out as it did, and the fact that it's a true story is heartwarming, but it doesn't really need to be seen on the big screen. Ok movie in and of itself, fine performance by Mirren, simple flashback structure to flesh out the story and the complexity of emotions of the main character, but again, if you see it on the small screen, you won't lose anything.

The previews showed an Atom Egoyan film "Remember," with Chris Plummer and Martin Landau, about a man in his golden years embarking on a mission to kill the Nazis who hurt their loved ones. Of course, killing, no matter the reason, is never simple.

It seems both show that restitution or retribution is never equal to the magnitude of the original loss, and you have to find a way to go on...

Unbroken is a wonderful story about a remarkable man. To imagine all that Louis Zamperini endured sure makes my every-day struggles so insignificant.

We just watched 'The Railway Man' with Colin Firth as a POW of the Japs and he suffers a lot of the same as Zamperini. It has a surprise ending too.

8dcb9fb986e1382c8160bbf85145ebf3.jpg

smiley-shocked001.gif

Holy mother of fuck! Well, I just got done watching Plan 9 and that's an hour and 19 minutes of my life I'll never get back. To say that this "movie" was filled with bad acting would be an insult to bad acting or actors everywhere.

Poor Bela Lugosi--I'm not sure when he died during the filming of this, but death must have been a sweet release from the hell he found himself in his final years stuck in Ed Wood movies. Lugosi--much like Lon Jr. in his final movie--has no dialogue and footage of Bela is interspersed with what I can only describe as "tall dude with cape over his face" doubling for Lugosi.

I can't even say this film was comically bad--no, wait a minute, I did get some laughs early on from how horrible the actors were; Tor Johnson in particular as the police Inspector was hysterical--but after awhile, I found myself inoculated to the shittyness of this film and just found myself on many occasions glancing at the little clock at the bottom of the youtube vid wondering when this shit would be over.

I almost want to take back every bad word I've ever said about Joe Besser and his Three Stooges films. Hell--after wasting my time with Plan 9--I can honestly say I don't ever want to waste my time with anymore of Lugosi's or Chaney's later films during the twilight of their careers. As intrigued as I was about a title like Face of the Screaming Werewolf, I think I'll just skip it.

Again, this smiley says it best: smiley-shocked001.gif