I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

If I can clear the lump in my throat, I'd like to say that The Sound of Music was simply spectacular on the big screen. I was not expecting to be moved to tears many times tonight. The chemistry between Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer makes me swoon.

So somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good. :wub:

To this day, The Sound of Music is the only music I can stomach. Chris Plummer was a hottie back in the day, and I must say, has that fire within today. I saw him in a one man show, "Barrymore," and he killed it. Not in a 'Oh look, that's pretty good for an old guy' way, but like a lion who knows what it takes to get the audience eating out of his hand kind of way :notworthy: . Before that, I saw him as the title character in "King Lear" in Stratford (Ontario) - again, same effect, and not a dry eye in the house when he was on the heath with the Fool (Cordelia), and then again at the end when he walked in with Cordelia. So I get the lump in your throat. Plummer's been doing it for years (even though he refers to the musical as 'The Sound of Mucus' lol).

Anyway, speaking of Shakespeare (which I love to do any chance I can), this is a movie I'm really looking forward to watching:

New Look At Michael Fassbender And Marion Cotillard In Macbeth

Justin Kurzel's adaptation heads north of the wall

point.gif28 April 2015 | Written by Phil de Semlyen | Source: StudioCanal

Debuting in Empire magazine last year was a first-look at Justin Kurzel’s Macbeth showing its stars Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard in a tranquil moment. Three new stills have now landed from the Shakespeare adaptation, offering a fresh entry point into the Scotland of the film and flaunting the rich costumes assembled by Oscar winner Jacqueline Durran. Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge them.

90747.jpg

90746.jpg

90745.jpg

These quiet moments before the storm will prove few and far between in a story that sees Scottish tribal politics spill over into the kind of bloodletting that would make even Highlander recoil. According to the film's official synopsis folio, this Macbeth is "a reimagining of what wartime must have been like for one of Shakespeare’s most famous and compelling characters, a story of all-consuming passion and ambition set in war-torn medieval Scotland”.

Expect elements of war film, then, as Fassbender’s Macbeth, general in King Duncan’s army, stumbles upon three women in the aftermath of battle. They prophecy that he will become king, setting in train a story of ambition and double-dealing that has confounded GSCE English students for centuries. Cotillard, of course, is Lady Macbeth, an arch politician with the scent of glory in her nostrils who does little to discourage her vain husband in his ambitions.

If you’ve experienced Kurzel’s bleak, uneasy Snowtown, it’s easy to imagine the Australian as a perfect fit for the material. His research brief involved discovering what was that time like and how brutal it was. “It reminded me a lot of a Western,” he expands in the press notes, "and of a landscape and atmosphere that felt much more dangerous than I’d ever seen before from adaptations of Macbeth”.

Also aboard the Film With The Name That Shall Not Be Mentioned are Sean Harris as Macduff, Thane of Fife, Paddy Considine as Banquo and David Thewlis as Duncan. Macbeth will be premiering in Cannes next month before making its UK bow in October.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44149

Thewlis as Duncan. Hmm, ok. Great cast. A little confusing with sexy Fassbender as the title character.... Well, looks promising. They better not screw it up. This play has enough of a troubled, haunted history as it is.

Saw 2 movies this weekend.

And I know how it makes me look when I give my take on the 2, but I don't care, LOL.

First, I watched Birdman.

I didn't get it.

I almost thought it was about Michael Keaton himself, having played Batman back in the day.

I'm not sure how much of what he was doing was real and what was in his mind.

It was OK to watch, but I never felt like I was in tune with the movie.

Last night, my son treated us to the discount movie for Mothers Day, and he chose The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water.

And guess what?
It was very funny and entertaining.

And it was done very well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unlike my initial apprehension of more or less sitting through an hour and a half of Spongebob episodes, this was actually interesting with an identifiable storyline.

So yeah.

I know how it makes me look when I liked The Spongebob Movie but didn't get the Academy Award-winning Birdman.

So be it.

LOL

^^^ I didn't get Birdman, either, TypeO.

Watched The Imitation Game (again, so son could see it). It was even better the second time as there were a few details I missed the first time. I bought the movie and would be willing to watch it a third time when my daughter comes home. It is a wonderful movie and really a must-see movie IMO. Very interesting and important historical stories regarding WWII, the beginning of computers, and society's outlook on homosexuals. A lot packed into one movie.

Edit: Luck you, Patrycja to have seen Christopher Plummer, I would love that! I've heard that he has not referred fondly to The Sound of Music in the past; however, I thought that he was very gracious in the 50th anniversary special. Maybe he has finally seen the light. ;)

Edited by Ddladner

I loved it, CJW! I trust your kids were with you and loved it, too! When we went, we were the only adults without kids, which was ok with me. I wonder if that was because it was advertised as a Disney movie. The previews were definitely targeting a very young audience, but I think it's a movie for all ages to enjoy. I noticed that in our audience, I was probably the most audible with the 'awww's! Although the kids chimed in when the monkeys were playing with the dog! :)

Ya, I watched with my kids, but it was my idea, I wanted to go see it, and my son had no interest in it. Love those type of docu/nature type movies.

Avengers: Age of Ultron was great. Watched last week and loved it to bits. Looking forward to Ant-Man next

Ya, I watched with my kids, but it was my idea, I wanted to go see it, and my son had no interest in it. Love those type of docu/nature type movies.

Well, hopefully your son enjoyed it after all. I like those types of nature shows, too. Reminds me of growing up watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, loved that show!

^^^ I didn't get Birdman, either, TypeO.

Watched The Imitation Game (again, so son could see it). It was even better the second time as there were a few details I missed the first time. I bought the movie and would be willing to watch it a third time when my daughter comes home. It is a wonderful movie and really a must-see movie IMO. Very interesting and important historical stories regarding WWII, the beginning of computers, and society's outlook on homosexuals. A lot packed into one movie.

Edit: Luck you, Patrycja to have seen Christopher Plummer, I would love that! I've heard that he has not referred fondly to The Sound of Music in the past; however, I thought that he was very gracious in the 50th anniversary special. Maybe he has finally seen the light. ;)

Thanks, Dd :) Plummer's an incredible force, and there's nothing like seeing him live to experience it. He does seem to have mellowed a bit about his SoM stance, though I like that honest, ornery side to him. So many actors give polite, rehearsed answers that his off-the-cuff take on things is refreshing.

I also saw the Avengers movie recently and enjoyed it. The film makers have a clear sense of what the movie is, and it succeeds at it. I like that they don't try to make it anything more. Despite the GC, shooting and flying about, they manage to weave a story that you can stay with throughout. Very much unlike, say, the Transformers series (stopped watching after the second one...I know, what took me so long...). Great eye candy, too :D

Indestructibleman.jpg

Just finished watching this & I'm not sure what expectations I had going in, but it was not as bad some critics have made it out to be--it wasn't really good either. I guess "average" would be the best word for it. I was surprised that Lon didn't have much in the way of dialogue--this wasn't made during the period where Chaney started to lose his voice, although the ravages of his alcohol abuse were more than a bit showing. I guess if Sathington is reading this, this may be one to add to your "watch list"--although it's not schlock in the same vein as anything done by Ed Wood....

Indestructibleman.jpg

Just finished watching this & I'm not sure what expectations I had going in, but it was not as bad some critics have made it out to be--it wasn't really good either. I guess "average" would be the best word for it. I was surprised that Lon didn't have much in the way of dialogue--this wasn't made during the period where Chaney started to lose his voice, although the ravages of his alcohol abuse were more than a bit showing. I guess if Sathington is reading this, this may be one to add to your "watch list"--although it's not schlock in the same vein as anything done by Ed Wood....

haha thanks Paul I'll add that one to the queue, I need to get back into B-Movie mode! :popcorn2:

Indestructibleman.jpg

The Bradbury Building has a starring role in this movie too.

Rented this this afternoon, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Had a kind of Snatch Lite vibe, with less violence and more humor.

The running joke, even though featured in the trailer, still proved to be hysterically funny throughout.

Johnny Depp's character slid between the ridiculously inane and the surprisingly astute without a hitch, which made it incredibly funny.

I was actually prepared to be let down, but found myself laughing hard throughout.

A lot of the almost stereotypical British themes of dry humor and keeping up appearances.

Overall, a most entertaining movie, for me.

fid14342.jpg

The Imitation Game again (with daughter). Still more details this time around. Have I mentioned that this is a must see movie!? Actually, a must see more than once movie. I am in shock and awe over this movie, and I have wept each time during the credits.

Now on to other great movies. I would like to see Project Nim.

FINALLY!!!

After the merely okay "Fast and Furious 7" and the typically awful CGI bore-fest "Avengers", comes a movie that truly is a pure adrenaline hell on wheels speed-rush that a summer-blockbuster is supposed to be...

"MAD MAX: FURY ROAD"

Directed by the man who created Mad Max, Australian George Miller (also director of those lovable "Babe" movies...go figure), this is not a reboot per se, but a continuation of the original Mad Max trilogy...the film takes place after the Thunderdome movie.

What's very thrilling about the movie is the divergence from the usual male-only perspective. Charlize Theron's Furiosa character is just as important as Tom Hardy's Mad Max...and she definitely gets more dialogue. There is a storyline about breeding and reproduction rights and the film is much more woman-friendly than the typical summer-testosterone-circle-jerk.

Don't worry, though, this isn't a Nora Ephron film...there are plenty of action sequences for you adrenaline junkies...in fact, with the exception of three or four scenes of quiet exposition, the entire movie is one long chase and battle extraordinaire. There are some sequences that literally take your breath away and have you welcoming the scenes of quiet so you can regroup for the next chase. For the first time in a long time, I heard an audience spontaneously erupt in cheers after an action scene concluded. Probably not since Joseph Gordon-Levitt's zero-gravity fight scene in "Inception" have I heard such applause happening.

It has certainly never happened at any Transformers, X-Men, Spiderman, Avengers, Thor, Captain America, or other movies of that ilk.

Of course, unlike most of the hacks responsible for the above movies, George Miller is an acknowleged master of how to film action, especially as it relates to vehicles in motion.

From "Bullitt" to "Vanishing Point" to "The French Connection" to "Gone in 60 Seconds", there was a consistent development and elevation of the art of filming car chases. When George Miller's "Mad Max" and "Mad Max: The Road Warrior" exploded on screens in the early 1980s, it raised the bar to heights seldom reached since then.

As you can tell, I loved this movie. Not everyone will...if you didn't like the first "Mad Max" or "The Road Warrior", you probably won't like this one. But I would estimate 90% of you men will love it. And more of you women than you might expect will enjoy it, too, because of Charlize Theron (or Tom Hardy, who is eye-candy to be sure) and the pro-women perspective.

There are some films that can wait until you see it on tv. But some films cry out for seeing on a massive screen with the THX Dolby sound pumping. I saw "Mad Max: Fury Road" yesterday at the giant Cinerama Dome...simply spectacular. It is also playing at the IMAX theatres and in 3D.

Choose whatever format you wish, but if you're like me and have been disappointed in the decline of the summer action movie over the years, the new "Mad Max" is your salvation. Go see it now before your friends and co-workers spoil it for you.

post-1470-0-02578800-1431974537_thumb.pn

Edited by Strider

Tried some edibles and a good strain of smoke, and kicked back with this one.

And I know you'll think it's the weed talking, but this was exponentially funnier than the first movie.

That is, assuming you enjoyed the first movie.

I went in just hoping to like it, and 10 minutes in I was laughing so hard I realized I would have to watch it again just to catch things I missed while I was laughing.

It's that kind of insanely funny bits all the way through, as well as honestly superbly subtle remarks and sight gags.

This would be crazy funny without the buzz.

This was more intensely funny than Bad Grandpa.

You will laugh.

5015_Dumb-And-Dumber-2.jpg

^^^Sorry TypeO. I decidedly did NOT laugh. Not only me...but neither my godson nor his dad laughed once, as well. Instead, we sat there as tortuous minute after tortuous minute went by, thinking "They wait 20 years to make a sequel and this is the best they can come up with?"

I'm not even sure being stoned would have helped make it funny...but it probably wouldn't have hurt.

On to better movies...Memorial Day is here and that means the big summer movies will be flying at us fast and furious. Some will linger in the theatres for a bit, while others flop and sink without a trace.

Either way, now is the time to see the better films out there now before the summer onslaught pushes them out of the multiplexes.

I raved about "Mad Max:Fury Road" already and that is sure to be in your theatres for quite some time. But there is another good film that came out about a month ago in a limited release and is worth seeing if it comes your way..."EX MACHINA".

I'm not posting the trailer because it doesn't do the film justice...not even close. It makes it look like just another cyborg thriller, like "I, Robot".

But "Ex Machina" is far more interesting, far more cerebral, far more intensely creepy than other film of its genre that I have seen in a long time. Oscar Isaac, who was excellent in "A Most Violent Year", gives another highly watchable performance. The rest of the cast is filled by actors I'm not familiar with, but they portray their roles with assurance. The notable performance of course is the actress who plays Ava, the A.I.robot. Mesmerizing.

A totally different film experience than "Mad Max" but equally as great in its more quiet, psychological way.

Next up..."Far From the Madding Crowd". Will Hollywood finally do Thomas Hardy justice?

Saw "Tomorrowland" and wondered whether anyone during the $180M shoot noticed that there wasn't a credible villain in sight? I get that it's Disney, and the idea of it (though I disagree with criticisms that it wasn't 'linear'. First, it was easy to follow the through-line and second, even if it hadn't been, so what? Lots of great movies aren't), but I just hoped for more. Was it a kid's movie? That's what I was thinking as I left the theatre. Probably the effect they wanted.

I'll watch "The American" again, a great, underrated Clooney-driven film, so focused and restrained, just to balance this one out.

^^^"Michael Clayton" is another very underrated Clooney film...with the added bonus of the exquisite Tilda Swinton and the redoubtable Tom Wilkinson. And my favourite Clooney movie will always be "Out of Sight". The chemistry between Clooney and Jennifer Lopez sizzles.

Edited by Strider

^^ In talking about "Tomorrowland" I meant to say that it's probably not the effect they wanted...

Good choices, Strider, I agree. Tomlinson's and Swinton's were haunting performances, both for their minds (if I can put it that way), in their own ways. "Michael Clayton" was a better movie than "Out of Sight", but that slow smolder between Clooney and Lopez was a pleasure to watch.

Looks like the Cotillard/Fassbender offering of Macbeth (directed by Justin Kurzel) is making waves at Cannes. I can't wait to see it! (even though they moved the opening lines of the Weird Sisters...hmmm, hope it doesn't come back to haunt them).

Cannes Film Review: ‘Macbeth’

macbeth-cannes-film-festival.jpg?w=670&h

MAY 23, 2015 | 01:23AM PT COURTESY OF CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

Marion Cotillard and Michael Fassbender excel in Justin Kurzel's thrillingly savage interpretation of the Scottish Play

Guy Lodge Film Critic

As the shortest, sharpest and most stormily violent of William Shakespeare’s tragedies, “Macbeth” may be the most readily cinematic: The swirling mists of the Highlands, tough to fabricate in a theater, practically rise off the printed page. So it’s odd that, while “Romeo and Juliet” and “Hamlet” get dusted off at least once a generation by filmmakers, the Scottish Play hasn’t enjoyed significant bigscreen treatment since Roman Polanski’s admirable if tortured 1971 version. The wait for another may be even longer after Justin Kurzel’s scarcely improvable new adaptation: Fearsomely visceral and impeccably performed, it’s a brisk, bracing update, even as it remains exquisitely in period. Though the Bard’s words are handled with care by an ideal ensemble, fronted by Michael Fassbender and a boldly cast Marion Cotillard, it’s the Australian helmer’s fervid sensory storytelling that makes this a Shakespeare pic for the ages — albeit one surely too savage for the classroom.

You can read the rest of the review here: http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/macbeth-review-michael-fassbender-marion-cotillard-1201500514/

Edited by Patrycja

"Tomorrowland"..."Poltergeist"..."San Andreas". Worse...worser...worsest. (Yes, I know those ain't proper words.)

Still going with my main recommendations for May: "Ex Machina" and "Mad Max: Fury Road".

Still on the docket: "Far From the Madding Crowd".

New movie I most want to see: "Heaven Knows What".

• 2 weeks later...

The new Macbeth trailer is here! YESSS!!!

Macbeth: Michael Fassbender plays the tortured king of Shakespeare's great tragedy – trailer

Snowtown director Justin Kurzel's adaptation of William Shakespeare's tragic play stars Michael Fassbender as Macbeth, the warrior turned traitor who murders his king and spirals into madness. The film, which had its premiere at last month's Cannes film festival and is released in the UK on 2 October, also stars Marion Cotillard as Lady Macbeth, tortured by insatiable ambition

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2015/jun/04/macbeth-michael-fassbender-shakespeare-tragedy-trailer

Looks great! Interesting to note that it looks as if they're showing Macbeth murdering Duncan. Shakespeare carefully leaves that out in his play as it affects an audience's position towards a character. We need Macbeth to carry the play through longer, and he can't lose the audience too early. Macbeth, after all, is a complex man. He is loved by his men and his king, and he is valiant, but he gives in to his temptations. So not seeing the murder positions us differently towards the character than, say, in Julius Caesar, where we see Brutus slaughtering Caesar, and however just we think his intentions, watching that distances us from Brutus. I wonder, then, how they're going to keep Macbeth from losing an audience's sympathy? After all, who can't relate to the desire of something one shouldn't want but because of the lure of improbability, wants it all the more? Perhaps it was just too tempting a cinematic gem of a scene for the director to exclude?

Look at Fassbender's face when he says, "O full of scorpions is my mind."

Can't. Wait... rraaaaarrrgh!!!