I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Fortunately I've found a local theatre that's not only affordable but also seems to be mostly asshat free. It also helps to go on off nights when the asshats seem to be elsewhere. It's not a state of the art theatre with stadium seating and all that but it's not run down either. I'm willing to make the compromise.

Fortunately I've found a local theatre that's not only affordable but also seems to be mostly asshat free. It also helps to go on off nights when the asshats seem to be elsewhere. It's not a state of the art theatre with stadium seating and all that but it's not run down either. I'm willing to make the compromise.

I remember the York theater in SF and they had a cartoon festival and I swear, all the frikkin' 'grown up' morons were sitting in the back making nothing but noise.

Went to Prometheus in IMax 3D last night.

Best.$17.Ever.

Like Strider said, it's not necessary to see it in 3D, but it was definitely worth it to me.

I really enjoyed Avatar when it came out, but Prometheus is so much darker and grittier, it makes Avatar look like a fairy tale.

Some day - and you may call me a dreamer - someone will finally do Dune like this.

And Ridley Scott looks like the best possible choice to do so.

You really liked "Prometheus" that much, TypeO? Guess you'll love the news that Ridley Scott is doing another "Blade Runner" movie.

we+need+to+talk+about+kevin+poster.jpg

An interesting film that got very little distribution...disturbing and Tilda Swinton is always amazing to watch in just about anything. I'm just not sure how I felt about the film's theme as a whole. I only got to see it once before it was out of the theatres, and am unsure about a couple things. Some movies you only need to see once before making up your mind...and some you don't need to see at all; just the ad or trailer will suffice...but others require a couple viewings to form an opinion. "We Need to Talk About Kevin" is one of those films.

Last night I was in THUNDERBIRDS heaven, as I took my nephew to see "Thunderbirds Are Go!" and "Thunderbird 6" at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood last night. It is part of the American Cinematheque's weekend celebration of the Thunderbirds TV series, including giveaways of the massive 40th anniversary DVD box set.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/thunderbirds-are-go-thunderbird-six

I don't know anybody who was a kid in the 60s-early 70s who doesn't have a soft spot in their heart for the Thunderbirds show. Trey Parker and Matt Stone(South Park) obviously did, as it was the inspiration for "Team America".

Tonight is the perennial classic "Animal House". The producer and founder of National Lampoon has a book out about the making of the movie, and we're doing the event along with the Cinematheque. And Flounder and Babs will be there, too!

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/national-lampoon%E2%80%99s-animal-house-0

You really liked "Prometheus" that much, TypeO? Guess you'll love the news that Ridley Scott is doing another "Blade Runner" movie.

I've said it before.

I'm not overly refined in terms of movie appreciation.

I like to be entertained.

I'm a huge fan of "suspension of disbelief".

Doesn't mean I like ANY stupid shit they decide to grind out (2012 is my standing example), but in general, I enjoy movies.

I don't necessarily pick up subtle symbolism right away (the use of the color red in The Sixth Sense), but when I do get it, I can appreciate it.

I'm not so good at judging great acting, but I know when I think something sucks.

I loved the first 3 Terminators, but never bothered watching any Transformers movies.

I'm such a sucker for formula sports moments that I even still get chills watching the end of Major League.

I like good action movies, but explosions and car chases don't necessarily trigger my "must see" gene.

I think Battle: Los Angeles was actually a really good movie.

I don't care that Independence Day did it first.

For me that was the Air Force and Battle: Los Angeles is the Marines, and it was a lot easier to escape into the reality they created.

I think Enemy of the State was a great movie.

I enjoyed Cloverfield, because I bought into the "found footage" premise and was OK with the fact you never got a good look at the creature.

And speaking of the "found footage" premise, Blair Witch Project was irritating, even though I was willing to put up with a lot to again accept the premise.

But there was really no substance whatsoever.

I remember in the theater a number of girls screamed towards the end when it showed bloody handprints on the wall, and it was so forced it was as though they figured, "I guess this is the scary part since the movie's almost over."

There are very few horror movies I like.

I was more scared by Open Water and 127 Hours than by Saw or most of the myriad other horror movies because it's a lot harder for me to buy into somebody setting up some incredibly intricate plot that successfully traps people in horrible circumstances than it is for me to picture myself getting left behind by accident, or getting trapped where no one could find me.

THAT is scary to me.

Although, to be fair, it is a bit of a stretch to imagine me scuba diving or mountain biking in the desert, but that's where the "suspension of disbelief" comes back into play, lulz.

Last night I watched The Lazarus Project on Netflix.

It was horrible, and never really amounted to anything.

But I also re-watched Reservoir Dogs and was thoroughly entertained.

I don't take time to watch old movies from the 40s or 50s mostly because there's more recent ones I haven't had a chance to see.

Although I did watch Sergent York once while really high, and I was absolutely amazed at the heavy-handed symbolism that bordered on propaganda.

Same for the original Walking Tall.

I watched it while really high and caught a lot of nuances that I'd never picked up before.

That may be the secret for me - catch a sweet buzz and I'd be able to get into the classics a lot more.

Hard to say.

Lastly, I also can't wait to see Django Unchained.

But that's just me.

To quote a comment I read on Facebook -

This movie has no business being as funny as it is.

This was hilarious from start to finish.

Awesome cameo by who else?

:win:

21%20Jump%20Street%20%282012%29%20R5%20450MB.jpg

Edited by TypeO

To quote a comment I read on Facebook -

This movie has no business being as funny as it is.

This was hilarious from start to finish.

Awesome cameo by who else?

:win:

MV5BMTc3NzQ3OTg3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk5OTcxNw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

The image isn't showing up, so I have no idea what movie you're talking about.

As for "Django Unchained", HELL YEAH, I can't wait for this movie, too! In fact, "Django Unchained", "Dark Knight Rises" and "Savages" are the three big summer movies I'm most looking forward to seeing.

Saw "Rock of Ages"...it was even worse than I thought it would be. Like an unholy nightmare mishmash of "Glee", "Coyote Ugly", "Footloose", and Brett Michaels "Rock of Love".

Tom Cruise is easily the best thing about the movie. Russell Brand, Alec Baldwin, and Paul Giamatti each have a few amusing moments, but not enough to save this Broadway white-wash. Poor Catherine Zeta Jones...the director, screenwriter and choreographer did her no favours. I almost felt sorry for her.

The two dopey love-bird leads were flatout awful with zero nada chemistry. The girl in particular, Julianne Hough, had enough makeup on to deplete an entire Max Factor store...does she apply her makeup with a trowel?

I'd say something about the guy but he was such a complete blank, a waste of screen space, that I have no memory of him. He'll be appearing in cheesy roadshow versions of "Rent" in Dubuque and Tulsa shortly.

Now, in an entirely different direction than the cinematic-hell that is "Rock of Ages" is the sublime slice of movie-heaven that is "Moonrise Kingdom"!!! I didn't really care for Wes Anderson's last two films, but "Moonrise Kingdom" restores my faith in his talent. It is almost flawless...even the ending. I can't tell you how many good movies I've seen that mishandled their endings, but "Moonrise Kingdom" nails it.

Great cast, including the two unknown kids at the heart of the story, great set design and locations, great score and use of songs. Pure magic!

This is one film you need to make time for and see in a theatre...great, whimsical movies like this need to make money or else the studios get reluctant to greenlight more in the future. We'll just get more tired remakes and sequels. Drop what you are doing and RUN to see "Moonrise Kingdom"!!! If you have any kids 12 and over, take them along...they'll thank you for it later.

Edited by Strider

An interesting film that got very little distribution...disturbing and Tilda Swinton is always amazing to watch in just about anything. I'm just not sure how I felt about the film's theme as a whole. I only got to see it once before it was out of the theatres, and am unsure about a couple things. Some movies you only need to see once before making up your mind...and some you don't need to see at all; just the ad or trailer will suffice...but others require a couple viewings to form an opinion. "We Need to Talk About Kevin" is one of those films.

It's still in my head a few days later. I liked it, but the subject matter does make for uncomfortable viewing.

I saw this on LoveFilm Instant. Great cast, especially John Hurt in the small role that he had.

Now, in an entirely different direction than the cinematic-hell that is "Rock of Ages" is the sublime slice of movie-heaven that is "Moonrise Kingdom"!!! I didn't really care for Wes Anderson's last two films, but "Moonrise Kingdom" restores my faith in his talent. It is almost flawless...even the ending. I can't tell you how many good movies I've seen that mishandled their endings, but "Moonrise Kingdom" nails it.

Great cast, including the two unknown kids at the heart of the story, great set design and locations, great score and use of songs. Pure magic!

This is one film you need to make time for and see in a theatre...great, whimsical movies like this need to make money or else the studios get reluctant to greenlight more in the future. We'll just get more tired remakes and sequels. Drop what you are doing and RUN to see "Moonrise Kingdom"!!! If you have any kids 12 and over, take them along...they'll thank you for it later.

I believe I posted about Moonrise Kingdom a few posts back. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Ted or Rock of Ages but I'll most likely go see Moonrise Kingdom (which just now opened here). That said, it's not like I've steered clear of the summer blockbuster-type movies this year but none of those pique my interest in the least. Even the previews for The Amazing Spider-man didn't do a whole lot for me. I recall reading that the wide release for Moonrise Kingdom was put off because they didn't want it competing with The Avengers back in May. If so, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to wait until so close to the 4th to release it when it's going head-to-head with several other strong releases.

Edited by Jahfin

^^^

The only thing I saw was a graphic you posted about the colour schemes of Wes Anderson's movies. It's hard to tell from that your thoughts about "Moonrise Kingdom", or even if you saw the movie at all. Which your latest post clarifies.

Most young people don't realize that it wasn't until the blockbuster successes of "Jaws" and "Star Wars" in the '70s that wide releases became the norm for movies. Until then, all movies were released in limited fashion like "Moonrise Kingdom" today. First a film would open in LA and NY...possibly Chicago, SF and other major cities, too, and as buzz built, then it would make it's way to the midwrst and the Bible Belt and the small towns. This way, a studio could save on the costs of making prints. And for movies deemed too complex for an easy sell, it allowed critical consensus and word-of-mouth to build to help sell the film to middle-America.

That's one reason I waited so long before posting my response to "Moonrise Kingdom". I saw it a month ago, but if I had written my thoughts then, it would have been pointless as most of the people on this forum wouldn't have been able to find a theatre in their town that was screening it. Now that it's been a month, it should be more available for people to see...although it still is shown on a fraction of the screens that a movie like "Rock of Ages" or "That's My Boy" gets...which is why I waited until now to urge people to see "Moonrise Kingdom".

I've seen it twice...it was even better the second time.

P.S. I got my Wes Anderson timeline screwed up. I actually liked "Fantastic Mr. Fox"...it was "Darjeeling Limited" and "Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" that I was more ambivalent about.

Yep, I thought I had posted the trailer for Moonrise Kingdom here but evidently not. I liked Darjeeling Limited and Life Aquatic. I still haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox. When this board was more active you were more likely to find people that were into movies and music that were outside of the mainstream. These days, I get the impression that aside from a precious few, most of those sort of posts fall on deaf ears.

journeys-film-poster.jpg

Saw this last night. The last of the trilogy of films that Jonathan Demme and Neil Young have collaborated on and a great way to end. I posted more about the movie over on the Neil Young thread in the Other Music/Bands section.

Yep, I thought I had posted the trailer for Moonrise Kingdom here but evidently not. I liked Darjeeling Limited and Life Aquatic. I still haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox. When this board was more active you were more likely to find people that were into movies and music that were outside of the mainstream. These days, I get the impression that aside from a precious few, most of those sort of posts fall on deaf ears.

Not necessarily. Some of us prefer to lurk and learn.

I have given a listen to some music by a band that you, Mr. Jahfin, recommended (Alabama Shakes) and watched a movie that someone upthread discussed (Tyrannosaur). Neither was a waste of my time :) .

Keep 'em coming.

Haven't watched it in a while. All things considered, it still stands up pretty well.

I love the reference in 30 Minutes or Less

Nick: I don't know how to rob a bank!

Chet: You know exactly how to rob a bank

Nick: What are you talking about?

Chet: Point Break, that movie's a 'how to guide' for bank robberies. You just bust in, masks, guns, move fast, stick to the tellers and don't bother with the vault.

"BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD"!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt5m0OBkjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I love movies that sneak up on you...under the radar...and allow you to discover them as opposed to being hit over the head by a drumbeat of publicity for months and months ala Spiderman(which apparently is not so 'amazing' after all).

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" is one of those small, unlikely gems that periodically pop up at your local multiplex, almost hidden in plain sight amongst the summer action behomeths. But it has pleasures that are beyond the mediocre capabilities of those CGI orgies polluting the screens these days.

There is a purity of vision, a true cinematic poetry at work here in Benh Zeitlin's first film, assisted by the beautiful and evocative cinematography of Ben Richardson.

Set in a region of Louisiana called "The Bathtub", which is outside the levee walls in the Southern Delta, it is an eye, a window, into a life and culture very few of us will ever know or experience for ourselves. The main character is a remarkable, almost feral 6-year old girl named Hush Puppy, who lives with her father in their ramshackle compound among their various animals: a dog, pig, chickens. Her mother seems to have run off to somewhere...where or why is a mystery to the child.

There is a big storm(shades of Katrina) and decisions must be made amongst the people on whether to flee or stay. Because these people live outside the levee walls, the film suggests they are almost a society outside of normal society itself...their own tribe with their own customs. I don't pretend to know much about Louisiana and the ways of the Bayou myself, having only been to New Orleans a few times and driven through Shreveport and the north a couple times, but to this city dweller, these people's lives seemed almost unfathomable.

In fact, much of the movie has the mystic tone and feel of a fable, and there are moments of either surrealism or fantasy. Which, given that much of the film is from the point-of-view of Hush Puppy, and even photographed that way, makes sense.

Oh, about that child...the 6-year old Hush Puppy? You won't see a better performance, by adult or child, all year. You may see one as good...but not better. Quvenzhané Wallis, who plays Hush Puppy, is in almost every scene and she will SEAR herself into your memory. It is an astonishing performance...it would be astonishing for an adult, so the fact that this little girl was able to summon the facial control and emotional facility needed for this role is a miracle. A Best Actress nomination should be a lock, and dare I say she should win.

So the next time you're at the multiplex looking to escape from the heat, ignore the pallid, pathetic likes of "Spiderman", "Rock of Ages", "Savages", "People Like Us", "The Watch" and "That's My Boy" and instead seak out and reward yourself with the unique and amazing "Beasts of the Southern Wild".