Jimmy's return to Beijing.

glicine

"My belief in music as a universal language is the reason I returned to Beijing to voice my support for the Show of Peace," said Page, who performed the Led Zeppelin classic "Whole Lotta Love" at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics last year.

"This (concert) is a tribute to the power of music and its positive effect. Music has been one of the most powerful languages that speaks to the heart of the people around the world."

And Rick Garson said "Tickets are free".

source: here

A little more than three months away and here's my question; who's in his band?

Should be interesting!

I have a feeling, based on some things I've seen on some internet forums, the band is: Jimmy Page - guitar / Jason Bonham - drums / Glenn Hughes - bass & vocals

I have a feeling, based on some things I've seen on some internet forums, the band is: Jimmy Page - guitar / Jason Bonham - drums / Glenn Hughes - bass & vocals

I'm expecting Jason to be in it too. Hadn't heard anything about Hughes, so I was half expecting Guy Pratt on bass and a mystery man on vocals. Or perhaps no vocals...

Well, it's said the guitarist would probably be Joe Bonamassa.

Well, it's said the guitarist would probably be Joe Bonamassa.

I know. There's several different threads throwing around several different names. But, I checked Bonamassa's page, and he's booked with gigs through May - from Moscow to the US then Europe. It doesn't seem he would have time to be working on a "supergroup". BUT - adding Glenn Hughes to Jimmy and Jason - it does seem like a nice fit...a bass player who is a phenominal classic rock singer (I loved him with Deep Purple, particularly with Tommy Bolin).

Last night I was thinking what move Page might make, and I was hoping a power trio, even if only intrumental. And then for some reason Glenn Hughes came to mind. I thought it'd be a perfect fit. So today I Googled "Glenn Hughes and Jimmy Page", and was surprised to find some rumors swirling around out there.

Like I said, it was just a feeling.

At the moment Jimmy doesn't have a band and isn't putting one together.

Regardless, he'll be playing with someone, no? Or will he sit on a chair with an acoustic like in the IMGL extras?

Not suggesting he has a band now, just wondering who he'll have backing him at the gig...

Never mind.

Love,

Billy

Ciao Billy I did something weird before when I wanted to post...

I am so happy to see you its been a looooong time. You know i spent all this morning to exchange mails with my dear friend Tim (Tirelli, that is...).

Come on Pagey do something. Btw, I very much enjoyed IMGL, what about u ? Its pouring great blues and passion according to me, and it leaves with great hopes...oh well.

Ciao, stammi bene vecchio Billy.

Elio

I've been poking around all day. Nothing definitive on who he's playing with.

Hopefully they will update the main website.

showofpeace.com

with details from the press conference.

It would be awesome to see Jimmy alone on the stage doing acoustic or electric solo. As long as he doesn't play with P. Diddy who is on the "invited" list.

Regardless, he'll be playing with someone, no? Or will he sit on a chair with an acoustic like in the IMGL extras?

Not suggesting he has a band now, just wondering who he'll have backing him at the gig...

He doesn't have a band now and some of the new material can be manifested without bandmates. I do hope the Beijing concert is held. This wouldn't be the first time Garson has held a press conference and then encountered difficulties which led to a cancellation. He clarified it won't actually be held in the Bird's Nest but on the grounds around it...now 50 Cent may encounter visa issues...I'm getting skeptical.

Edited by SteveAJones

He doesn't have a band now and some of the new material can be manifested without bandmates. I do hope the Beijing concert is held. This wouldn't be the first time Garson has held a press conference and then encountered difficulties which led to a cancellation. He clarified it won't actually be held in the Bird's Nest but on the grounds around it...now 50 Cent may encounter visa issues...I'm getting skeptical.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I hope it happens, especially if it's televised.

Your comment about some of the new material being manifested without bandmates has really piqued my curiosity to hear it. As if I wasn't curious enough already! :D

I'm reading through different chinese news sites. Jimmy recieved interviews this afternoon at Ritz Carlton, I haven't seen related news in English yet so I'll make a short summary here.

Before the interview all the reporters were told "no question about Zeppelin's future and possibility of a reunion allowed". Jimmy's manager said "because he is very shy". Some foreign reporters tried it but were stopped immediately by Jimmy's manager.

He talked about coming to Beijing again after the closing ceremony in 2008, which was a "a performance of love". He said this time it would be a collaboration with Rick Garson, and there were still three months til the performance, so nothing concrete like the setlist was confirmed.

He also talked about Elvis and MJ. And how he "accidently" entered the world of Rock n'Roll, as he likes and plays Jazz and Country songs as well. And probably he will do something very different from Led Zeppelin this time.

He talked about visiting the Beijinger rock circle, it was a pity that he had too little time when he came to Beijing last time. And his movie with The Edge and Jack White.

Here are some photos from this afternoon.

photos

It's just a grob summary, I hope something more detailed and in English will turn up soon.

Edited by glicine