John Bonham

hf21

How big was Bonzo? On a few live recordings, before Moby Dick, Plant sometimes introduces Bonzo as 130lbs. Was he just joking or was he really that small? I always thought he was rather large man. Maybe he just sounds BIG when he's beating on the drums?

How big was Bonzo? On a few live recordings, before Moby Dick, Plant sometimes introduces Bonzo as 130lbs. Was he just joking or was he really that small? I always thought he was rather large man. Maybe he just sounds BIG when he's beating on the drums?

Hi 'hf21'

Not meaning to nit pick but Robert did sometimes introduces Bonzo as "130lbs of Glory", could this be his "Morning Glory" an ailment many men suffer from when young and horny, and some old men too, err so I'm told. :blush:

Regards, Danny

PS, I'm trying to visualise a 130lb "Morning Glory" but i seem to keep passing out due to the lack of blood to my brain, anyone have any ideas? :smiley_pray:

Hi 'hf21'

Not meaning to nit pick but Robert did sometimes introduces Bonzo as "130lbs of Glory", could this be his "Morning Glory" an ailment many men suffer from when young and horny, and some old men too, err so I'm told. :blush:

Regards, Danny

PS, I'm trying to visualise a 130lb "Morning Glory" but i seem to keep passing out due to the lack of blood to my brain, anyone have any ideas? :smiley_pray:

Ha Ha Ha... Big Dan strike's again!!!!

And yes, us older guy's have that problem too... "I may be almost 50 but I'm not dead!" :hysterical:

Plant joked onstage about Bonham's weight throughout the Summer 1972 tour, often suggesting exaggerted heavy and light weights at different shows. While this was a July 1973 show it may simply have come to mind as a holdover from the previous summer.

• 9 years later...
On 7/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, RMan said:

My guess is that Bonzo weighed 130 of whatever the English unit of measurement is, and Plant said “pounds” because he was in America?

We use pounds (lb) in the UK too. 

130lb is just over 9 stone. If Bonzo had weighed that much he would have looked emaciated. Jimmy probably weighed about that much towards the end of the '77 tour. 

He was more likely in the 14 - 16 stone range (200-230lb).

In case you're wondering... Kilograms weren't really used to measure peoples weight in the 70s, but 130kg is about 20 stone - more in the Peter Grant range. 

Sooo.... Planty was most likely just taking the piss out of his friend. 

Edited by woz70