Best Wah Songs

• 2 weeks later...

Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - I think this is the ultimate wah song. It's synonym and definition of wah.

Led Zeppelin - "Dazed And Confused"

Led Zeppelin - "No Quarter"

Cream - "White Room" - Awesome solo.

Black Sabbath - "Black Sabbath" - One of the greatest things I've ever heard. It blown me away when I first heard it and I'm still scarred of it. Awesome.

Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"

Alice In Chains - "Man In The Box"

Echoes - Pink Floyd

David's wah wah pedal is actually very instrumental -- that middle section with the "seagull" noises is all done on the pedal and manipulation of the tone and volume knobs on his Strat. Very unique and it stands out amongst all the other suggestions people have put forth.

Edited by Electrophile

Electrophile:

Echoes is a superb track, without a shadow of a doubt. But you're wrong about the uniqueness of the seagull effects. Hendrix did that, and plenty more, in 1968 on 1983/Moon, Turn the Tides. Gilmour was a major Hendrix aficionado, and his style was hugely influenced by Jimi.

IMO, Echoes generally owes a huge debt to 1983.

Edited by I Am The Fly

Electrophile:

Echoes is a superb track, without a shadow of a doubt. But you're wrong about the uniqueness of the seagull effects. Hendrix did that, and plenty more, in 1968 on 1983/Moon, Turn the Tides. Gilmour was a major Hendrix aficionado, and his style was hugely influenced by Jimi.

IMO, Echoes generally owes a huge debt to 1983.

I said it was unique amongst the songs that other people have posted in this thread. Also, while Hendrix no doubt did it before David did, I don't think it's all that common an occurrence, do you? I don't know many songs aside from the ones you've named and then Echoes that employ such techniques. Besides, according to every single interview I've read where David discusses the making of the song, he said he came upon this by accident. His pedal was plugged in backward and he didn't realize it and thought that the sounds that were coming out were better than what he was intending to do. So it isn't as though he intended to ape something someone else had already done. I'm sure he knew about effects/tricks Hendrix employed, but David mostly tried to use similar effects boxes to Hendrix more than anything else.

So no, I don't think I'm wrong.

Edited by Electrophile

No, you said 'Very unique and it stands out amongst all the other suggestions people have put forth.'

You did not say 'Very unique amongst all the other suggestions people have put forth.'

And even if you had, you would still be wrong, because something is either unique or it is not. Therefore, nothing can possibly be very unique.

I believe they call this a 'tautology'. But I could be wrong.

It has a wah solo. So do lots of songs. And quite a few Metallica songs too. The intro to Disposable Heroes also uses wah.

One of my favourite wah songs is Hendrix's Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice, aka STP with LSD. B-side of Midnight Lamp, as I recall. These were both recorded around the time he took delivery of his first wah pedal.

STP starts off innocuously enough, then explodes via a wah interlude into one of his furthest-out solos of all, whilst he he provides a tour-guide to the known universe. Smashing stuff.

'If you look around you, you will see a few minds being blown'

Edited by I Am The Fly

• 2 months later...

Well, I see some excellent choices here especially "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", "Presence of The Lord", "Dazed And Confused" and "Broke Down".

Now, adding to the list of the best wah-wah pedal tracks, here is my personal fav :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEBz--bWVY

This song is amazing, wah-wah pedal or not! One of the most beautiful tunes I have ever heard in my life! God Bless Jimi Hendrix!!! :wub:

EDITED TO ADD : I truly cannot believe no one even thought of posting this beauty! I guess this tune is rather overlooked! :huh:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I just add another couple of songs to the wah wah pile:

The River - The Tea Party

I would link a youtube video but we have restricted interenet at work so I cant! The Tea Party were an exceptionally tallented Zepplin-esque band, and this song makes tremendous use of the wah wah. Check it out.

The White Room - Cream

I always think of this song when I think of wah wahs!

The White Room - Cream

I always think of this song when I think of wah wahs!

Same for me. I wouldn't say it's the best wah wah song ever, but "White Room" is the one I think about. Maybe because I have heard it so many times for so long. Clapton was on his game when he came up with the guitar for that song.

• 3 years later...