Best Wah Songs

What are your favorite wah songs? I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and figured I'd write about it after I saw a thread in the Musician's Corner called "Wah Wars" (about Vox vs. Cry Baby).

The wah is a really cool effects pedal. It modifies the tone of a signal to sound like a human when he/she is saying "wah". That's my understanding of it - I'm not an electrician. It emerged in the mid '60s as a tool for the psychedelic guitarist being popularized by the some of the innovators of the day like Hendrix and Clapton.

My favorite wah songs:

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Just mind-blowing. It transcends the label of psychedelic. Uses the Vox.

2. "White Room" - Cream.

With "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", the two classic wah songs. Uses the Cry Baby.

3. "Dazed and Confused" - Led Zeppelin.

The wah work here isn't as substantial as the first two, but it's still worthy. Page gets a sharper tone with the wah than Hendrix or Clapton.

4. "Bulls on Parade" - Rage Against the Machine.

Morello uses the wah in a supporting riff.

5. "25 or 6 to 4" - Chicago.

Only started listening to Chicago recently, but as somebody in my "Rank of Electric Guitarists" thread said, Terry Kath was a master of the wah.

"Algo ha cambiado" and "Adonde esta la libertad" - Pappo's Blues

"Automatic Fantastic" - Brant Bjork

"Tales of Brave Ulysses" and "White Room" - Cream

"Split Part 1 and 2" - Groundhogs

"Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

"Introduction" and "I Just Don't Know" - Radio Moscow

Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns N' Roses. Probably the best wah solo you'll ever hear. Also, Civil War, another great song. Slash rips on both of them and on Slither too, by Velvet Revolver.

Virtuosos like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani create masterpieces with a wah pedal: see Bad Horsie by Vai and Summer Song or Surfing with the Alien by Joe.

Not to mention Jimi... :)

Since this thread is about songs that feature the wah pedal, I'm obviously talking about the ones that do.

Yeah but when you say "anything" by Satriani, I tend to think of his whole discography, not only of the songs that feature the wah pedal. That's why I was a bit confused since not more than 15-20 % of his work features that effect.

Anyhow, even if you thought about all of his wah songs, I think you should try to somehow rank them, since this is a "best songs" thread, not a "best artist" thread.

Songs by bands that have not been mentioned yet that I absolutely love that are "wah" heavy:

The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog

Blind Faith - Presence Of The Lord

The Jeff Beck Group - I Ain't Superstitous

The Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

...and a special mention to Jimi Hendrix's "The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp", both the studio & BBC versions. And let's not forget "Machine Gun" if just for that one wah wah-ed note alone during the solo.

How could I forget these from Black Sabbath:

"Electric Funeral" (Absolutely love it used in this song)

"N.I.B."

"A National Acrobat"

Frank Zappa has a good share of good ones as well for example, "I'm the Slime" and "Willie the Pimp."

Great, great songs. I can play N.I.B. and sound just like Iommi without a wah, so I don't think he uses one in that song. Geezer does use a wah for the bass intro though, so either I'm playing it wrong or that's what you're talking about.

Great, great songs. I can play N.I.B. and sound just like Iommi without a wah, so I don't think he uses one in that song. Geezer does use a wah for the bass intro though, so either I'm playing it wrong or that's what you're talking about.

Yeah the bass solo in the beginning is what I meant. :)

Yeah the bass solo in the beginning is what I meant. :)

Ok, I was worried for a second that I was playing it wrong all this time. ;)

You've gotta love that bass intro. It almost motivated me to actually buy a bass so I could learn it. Too bad I was/am broke.

Songs by bands that have not been mentioned yet that I absolutely love that are "wah" heavy:

The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog

Blind Faith - Presence Of The Lord

The Jeff Beck Group - I Ain't Superstitous

The Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

...and a special mention to Jimi Hendrix's "The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp", both the studio & BBC versions. And let's not forget "Machine Gun" if just for that one wah wah-ed note alone during the solo.

Some really great wah wah tunes there..

Archived