Crosby Stills Nash (and Young)

SickTangerine

Hello ladies and gentleman!

So I was surprised in that I could not find a topic on CSN(Y) !

I absoultely love these guys, the harmonies are so chillingly beautiful, and each member is great in their own way. Anyone else enjoy these guys?

So far I've only listened to their more famous period (60's early 70's) and some of their solo stuff (well all of Neil Youngs, and the rests debut solo albums)

Favourite song(s) by them:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

You Don't Have to Cry

Carry On

Helplessly Hoping

Guinnevere

and I could go on and on

-ST

They are definitely one of my top favorites; going back about as long as Zeppelin for me. I saw them live this year actually. I listen to their music all the time, and usually have at least 1-2 of the 4 disc boxed set with me in the car. My personal favorite song of theirs (and one of my all time favorite songs):

My favorite band besides Zeppelin, and Stills is my 2nd favorite guitarist besides Page. It's been that way since I was about 12, and I don't expect it to change now. Seeing CSNY twice was as big a thrill as the Plant/Page shows. I've pretty much destroyed my CSN box set over the years from constant use.

Great Stills' song !

Great songs, all of them!

That version of Down by the River is actually what introduced me to Neil Young and CSN. I remember catching a glimpse a few years back of the last 5 minutes of some CSNY documentary, and I asked Dad if any of them were good. He said they were great and to go on "YouTube or whatever the hell that thing is" and search the name.

I stumbled across this, which made me want to find the studio version of Down by the River and more from CSN. So, yay!

I never heard that song before, Bong-Man...what album is it from? (assuming it's a Stills solo record)

I always thoguht that Stephen Stills was a tad underrated, I never really hear his name in the same way as Page, Hendrix and what not. I mean I don't think he influenced as much as they did, but he was damn good lol

Absolutely love them. Have seen them live many times over the years and when they're on, it's incredible. Too many songs I love to name a favorite. I also love David Crosby's solo album "If I Can Only Remember My Name." Half the musicians from the Bay area are on it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A few months ago I heard one of the announcers on XM's Deep Tracks channel say that the CSN covers album wasn't going to happen because Rick Rubin was too much in demand as a producer and that they just couldn't find the time to schedule any sessions. I'm not saying that the announcer was being misleading, perhaps that was just what the press in general was reporting at the time but according to this report from Rolling Stone, CSN weren't getting along with Rubin.

Graham Nash Says CSN Sessions With Rubin Were Contentious

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If this is a race/contest between threads, then I'm voting for this one, of course. CSN & Y>CSN.

Did you have the priviledge of seeing either configuration back in the old days, Strider?

Personally I prefer my CSN without Y...as great as Neil is, and as formidable a guitar duo as Stills and Young are, I've always felt Neil was tacked on to the combo (Young himself has said this.) The fact that, other than "Helpless" and "Ohio" Neil hasn't exactly wasted top tier material on CSN bears this out. Although it's telling that, these days, when they tour with Neil CSNY can still pack arenas whereas when the trio tour without him it's pretty much smaller venues. Having said that, though, their last tour (without Neil) was excellent, their best in years...Stills can almost sing again! :lol:

When it comes to CSN, the '77 "Boat" album is my favourite, though in my not so humble opinion Stills' Manassas album is better than all the CSN albums put together!

Did you have the priviledge of seeing either configuration back in the old days, Strider?

Personally I prefer my CSN without Y...as great as Neil is, and as formidable a guitar duo as Stills and Young are, I've always felt Neil was tacked on to the combo (Young himself has said this.) The fact that, other than "Helpless" and "Ohio" Neil hasn't exactly wasted top tier material on CSN bears this out. Although it's telling that, these days, when they tour with Neil CSNY can still pack arenas whereas when the trio tour without him it's pretty much smaller venues. Having said that, though, their last tour (without Neil) was excellent, their best in years...Stills can almost sing again! :lol:

When it comes to CSN, the '77 "Boat" album is my favourite, though in my not so humble opinion Stills' Manassas album is better than all the CSN albums put together!

Never saw CSN...and sadly only saw CSN & Y at the Hollywood Bowl in 2006. They were supposed to play the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Ontario Speedway the summer of 1974, but those shows were cancelled and L.A. never got to see that 1974 summer reunion tour. This is still a sore subject with me. I have seen David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash individually or in various configurations over the years, but never as CS & N.

I always preferred the "Deja Vu" album to the first CSN album anyway. My dad played that first record to death, so it got ruined for me. Well, Frank Zappa sort of helped, too. "Long Time Gone" and "Wooden Ships" are the only two songs from that album I can still listen to.

Never saw CSN...and sadly only saw CSN & Y at the Hollywood Bowl in 2006. They were supposed to play the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Ontario Speedway the summer of 1974, but those shows were cancelled and L.A. never got to see that 1974 summer reunion tour. This is still a sore subject with me. I have seen David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash individually or in various configurations over the years, but never as CS & N.

I always preferred the "Deja Vu" album to the first CSN album anyway. My dad played that first record to death, so it got ruined for me. Well, Frank Zappa sort of helped, too. "Long Time Gone" and "Wooden Ships" are the only two songs from that album I can still listen to.

I wonder why those L.A. '74 shows were cancelled? That was the biggest tour ever attempted up to that point, so it couldn't have been due to lack of ticket sales. If the L.A. shows had been anything like the Oakland gigs they would have been damn good.

The "Couch" album and Deja Vu are both well overplayed in my book, probably why I prefer the '77 album to either one these days, it's a bit more obscure. Although I must admit dropping the needle on the first CSN album for the first time was a life changing experience for me...fucking killer harmonies those three lunatics have, and Stills is in a class by himself when it comes to acoustic picking IMO.

I wonder why those L.A. '74 shows were cancelled? That was the biggest tour ever attempted up to that point, so it couldn't have been due to lack of ticket sales. If the L.A. shows had been anything like the Oakland gigs they would have been damn good.

The "Couch" album and Deja Vu are both well overplayed in my book, probably why I prefer the '77 album to either one these days, it's a bit more obscure. Although I must admit dropping the needle on the first CSN album for the first time was a life changing experience for me...fucking killer harmonies those three lunatics have, and Stills is in a class by himself when it comes to acoustic picking IMO.

I respect your viewpoint, but I like the Byrds' harmonies the best...David Crosby was part of that group, too. Then, the Beach Boys would be second and CSN third.

For acoustic picking, Bert Jansch is my man. But Stills is pretty good, I'll admit.

As for the cancelled 1974 shows, I don't remember the reason...or even if one was ever given. There were two LA Coliseum shows scheduled for the beginning of the tour. The Ontario Speedway was later, at the end before they went to Wembley. It was billed as Summer Jam or Summer Fest, and along with CSN & Y, the bill was the Beach Boys, Allman Brothers Band, Marshall Tucker Band and somebody else...Jesse Colin Young perhaps?

Man, I was pissed and it soured me on CSN for a long long time.

Archived