Steven Tyler on Howard Stern

Yucko

Interesting.....

Stern asked if Tyler auditioned for Led Zeppelin, and the singer didn't exactly say no.

Tyler mentioned by name the man who was Jimmy Page's manager, Peter Mensch. Tyler said Mench called him to say that Led Zeppelin had "just played live and that Robert wouldn't play with them again." So he was asked, "Want to come over and jam with the guys?" Tyler said it was natural to jump at the opportunity.

However, when he and Page met face to face and was asked to record an album with him, Tyler turned that down due to his allegiance with Aerosmith.

Tyler said he thinks he could have several ongoing projects and they wouldn't jeopardize his position with his bandmates in Aerosmith. For instance, he offered, he could play some Led Zeppelin shows.

Yep, that's right, Tyler said of Led Zeppelin: "I may do some dates with them, just a couple of one-offs." But it wouldn't be a barrier: "That doesn't mean I'm joining Zeppelin."

Interesting, thanks. I thought his audition not working out may have been due to ... how to put this delicately?... his sobriety issues at the time. The rumor at the time IIRC was that it didn't gel musically, but that's hard to believe. Steven has a wonderful hard rock-funky style that would seem to be a dream match for Zep.

Listened to the rebroadcast on the drive home. Wished he would've pressed Steven more on the subject. At least we see that Jimmy wanted to do a album to launch the project rather than just tour. I'm glad it didn't work with Steven. I'd rather a no-name singer be in the fold than a circus act.

From what I remember, Steven did audition to play with Led Zeppelin but he couldn't cut it vocally? He said something like he thought Jimmy was going to record new stuff with him but instead had him sing their old stuff and it didn't go as Jimmy would have wanted it. Steven said he was happy to have had the chance or some such statement and that the group already had the best (meaning Robert).

Listened to the rebroadcast on the drive home. Wished he would've pressed Steven more on the subject. At least we see that Jimmy wanted to do a album to launch the project rather than just tour. I'm glad it didn't work with Steven. I'd rather a no-name singer be in the fold than a circus act.

Tyler has no one to blame but himself for being referred to as a "circus act" but it wasn't that long ago that Page sat in with Aerosmith and it sounded pretty damn good to my ears. I always considered it a pretty natural fit, especially since vintage Aerosmith pretty much sounds like The Yardbirds on steroids.

Tyler has no one to blame but himself for being referred to as a "circus act" but it wasn't that long ago that Page sat in with Aerosmith and it sounded pretty damn good to my ears. I always considered it a pretty natural fit, especially since vintage Aerosmith pretty much sounds like The Yardbirds on steroids.

I agree Jahfin.

I had read much the same thing, that Page was really kean on Tyler fronting the NEW (Not Led Zeppelin) JP, JPJ and JB project, but that he was quite disapointed in Tylers performance, in fact so disapointed that it was one of the major reasons the project was shelved. Again the rumor was not Tylers vocals that was the problem (the official excuse released) but rather that Tyler was shit faced most of the time during the sessions. I dont know if this is factual or not so dont jump my shit for typing it, its just what I read. But it does make sense because I had also heard and read Tyler and Aerosmith were having big time arguments about the same issue around that same time period.

I had read much the same thing, that Page was really kean on Tyler fronting the NEW (Not Led Zeppelin) JP, JPJ and JB project, but that he was quite disapointed in Tylers performance, in fact so disapointed that it was one of the major reasons the project was shelved. Again the rumor was not Tylers vocals that was the problem (the official excuse released) but rather that Tyler was shit faced most of the time during the sessions. I dont know if this is factual or not so dont jump my shit for typing it, its just what I read. But it does make sense because I had also heard and read Tyler and Aerosmith were having big time arguments about the same issue around that same time period.

Ditto. Heard it the same way. Plus Steven has been down playing Joe Perry, etc., talking about him being wasted. So, it seems to be Steven's word vs. everyone else. Everyone can make up their own mind about that.

Wished he (Howard Stern) would've pressed Steven more on the subject.

I may be mistaken (and apologies if I am), but I think Stern recently has lost his love (or should I say, awe) of Zep after he found out how much of their early stuff was interpretations of other peoples' music. Might explain why he didn't push Steven further on the whole Page/Jonesy/Jason thing.

I may be mistaken (and apologies if I am), but I think Stern recently has lost his love (or should I say, awe) of Zep after he found out how much of their early stuff was interpretations of other peoples' music. Might explain why he didn't push Steven further on the whole Page/Jonesy/Jason thing.

I dunno about that. I've heard them play plenty of Zep songs coming out of commercials since then (including D'Yer Maker yesterday) and Howard still seems to dig them. I think he's smart enough to not take every claim that guy made at face value. Unfortunately a lot of his listeners took that guy at face value. I know a few and we've had some debates on the topic!

Second to Plant, Tyler rocks. I will love him no matter what he does.

cannot imagine liking the mix of Zeppelin and Tyler though.....

And I could care less if trashy Stern likes Zeppelin or not.

If God did not want me to listen to Led Zeppelin, he would not have made them ROCK so hard!:P

Archived