Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

Coda.S

In an announcement on state TV, Vice-President Omar Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the military.

It came as thousands massed in Cairo and other Egyptian cities for an 18th day of protest to demand Mr Mubarak's resignation.

Protesters responded by cheering, waving flags, embracing and sounding car horns. "The people have brought down the regime," they chanted.

Mr Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the high command of the armed forces.

"In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country," he said.

"May God help everybody."

Mr Mubarak has already left Cairo and is in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh where he has a residence, officials say.

In Cairo, thousands of people are gathered outside the presidential palace, in Tahrir Square and at state TV.

They came out in anger following an address by Mr Mubarak on Thursday. He had been expected to announce his resgination but instead stopped short of stepping down, transferring most powers to Mr Suleiman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12433045

as an Egyptian, I am proud that this crisis has ended peacefully!

I was wondering how you were doing Coda.S. Hope everything is good with you and hope this all works out for the best for your country as well.

Peace.

I am fine!! everything is going to be okay, hopefully! :)

Thank you, Walter

In an announcement on state TV, Vice-President Omar Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the military.

It came as thousands massed in Cairo and other Egyptian cities for an 18th day of protest to demand Mr Mubarak's resignation.

Protesters responded by cheering, waving flags, embracing and sounding car horns. "The people have brought down the regime," they chanted.

Mr Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the high command of the armed forces.

"In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country," he said.

"May God help everybody."

Mr Mubarak has already left Cairo and is in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh where he has a residence, officials say.

In Cairo, thousands of people are gathered outside the presidential palace, in Tahrir Square and at state TV.

They came out in anger following an address by Mr Mubarak on Thursday. He had been expected to announce his resgination but instead stopped short of stepping down, transferring most powers to Mr Suleiman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12433045

as an Egyptian, I am proud that this crisis has ended peacefully!

.......and hopefully it will continue peacefully....so you see, TO ALL THE PEOPLE who had doubts here, things CAN BE CHANGED....REALLY.....TRULY......the ONLY things needed are WILL POWER and GUTS....lots of GUTS.....AGAINST ALL ODDS......true freedom will endur.!!:):)

.......and hopefully it will continue peacefully....so you see, TO ALL THE PEOPLE who had doubts here, things CAN BE CHANGED....REALLY.....TRULY......the ONLY things needed are WILL POWER and GUTS....lots of GUTS.....AGAINST ALL ODDS......true freedom will endur.!!:):)

Hopefully that happens. Now there is a shit storm in Iran and Yemen.

CBS News' Logan victim of 'brutal' Egypt attack

Correspondent recovering from 'sustained sexual assault and beating'

today.msnbc.msn.com

I am not surprised this happened. I blame CBS for thinking this was some kind of a democracy fairy tale and sending a beautiful blonde woman into the middle of an Egyptian mob of savages. Stupid liberals.

59460892.jpg

I am not surprised this happened. I blame CBS for thinking this was some kind of a democracy fairy tale and sending a beautiful blonde woman into the middle of an Egyptian mob of savages. Stupid liberals.

They should have seen that coming. Centuries have passed, but that much remains the same. She's a magnet for the gentlemen on the street, and they are not always good at behaving themselves. I give the ladies and the 20 Egyptian soldiers credit for coming to her aid and removing her from harm's way.

I wonder if the revolutions of 1919 and 1952 were like this. I guess maybe they were worse. Apparently Britain occupied Egypt at one time. I can't imagine why Britain would interfere with Egypt having full sovereignty over the Sudan. It seems that Professor Ahmed Zewail has his hands full these days trying to act as an intermediary with all the hubbub going on, but God bless him for being a voice of reason through it all. I know that politics isn't really his cup of tea, and he would rather be studying chemistry or physics, but what can you do in these circumstances?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Says old system can't be fixed, Egypt needs new one

Egypt Nobel laureate Zewail urges Mubarak to go now

alarabiya.net

Ohhh, I can see with GREAT DISPLEASURE that some posters here are going all ballistic and carrying on with their POLITICALLY UNCORRECT jargon!!!:). I for one have never seen a revolution that does not shed blood and pain....somewhere....somehow......Cronenberg even wrote many essays on violence in an y country when it comes to shoving a "leader" who just does not want to be removed....if the PEOPLE want to remove him, then be DEAD SURE that one way or another they WILL:):)!!!. Someposters don't even know what REVOLUTION means...I think they get it all mixed up in their little chicken brains with "TERRORISM" (thanx to the RIGHT-WING brainwashing from 9 / 11 on...and even before that fatal date....)!!

The entire Islamic world will REVOLT now.......why? Didn't anyone here think it wouild have been possible....sooner or later??!:). The kingdom of Bahrain (if I'm not mistaken) is giving away over 2000 euro or so to families in the kingdom.....hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder why??! Could it be that there are many poor families with children in that kingdom and in the Emirates...and in Saudi Arabia...and elsewhere in the Islamic world where the monarchy is in power for (TOO) long:):)!!??

59460892.jpg

Yeah, nothing like asking for trouble. I have no sympathy for 'journalists'.

Mubarak will probably move next door to Charlie Sheen. B)

The entire Islamic world will REVOLT now.......why? Didn't anyone here think it wouild have been possible....sooner or later??!:). The kingdom of Bahrain (if I'm not mistaken) is giving away over 2000 euro or so to families in the kingdom.....hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder why??! Could it be that there are many poor families with children in that kingdom and in the Emirates...and in Saudi Arabia...and elsewhere in the Islamic world where the monarchy is in power for (TOO) long:):)!!??

Egypt, Bahrain protests differ in key ways

Shiite-Sunni gulf in Bahrain, army's role suggest conflict there unlikely to follow Cairo script

msnbc.msn.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While the unrest roiling Bahrain on its surface mirrors the early stages of the revolt in Egypt that toppled President Hosni Mubarak experts say the conflict on the island nation is very different in several key respects.

Most important is the huge economic gulf that exists between Bahrain's ruling Sunni Muslim minority and the impoverished majority Shiites who are driving the protests.

"In Egypt, you have a relatively homogenous Sunni population," said Lawrence Pintak, dean of the Edward R. Murrow College of Journalism at Washington State University and a longtime CBS correspondent in the Mideast. "In Bahrain, you have the majority Shia, who are oppressed, and the minority Sunnis, who have all the money and all the power. That's a pretty volatile combination."

Egypt, Bahrain protests differ in key ways

Shiite-Sunni gulf in Bahrain, army's role suggest conflict there unlikely to follow Cairo script

msnbc.msn.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The same thing was stated for the North African countries like Tunisia and Algeria, etc.:):):):)....don't they know that the Bahrain empire will NOT win over the people (if the people still want to change things and are not "bought out" at last minute!!!:):))....or better still, WILL LOSE the fight over the people???!!!:):):)

Sure, the army there is ANTI-people (unlike Egypt) and they are killing off the protesters for now, but that is WHAT RIGHT_WING states do, don't they??!!:):):)

Mubarak Is Rumored To Have Fallen Into A Coma After His Final Speech

Hosni Mubarak is said to have collapsed soon after his last public address on Thursday. By Saturday night he was in a full coma, according to al-Masry al-Youm.

This story is unconfirmed, but according to Al Arabiya it uses reliable sources.

Mubarak is said to be be receiving treatment in Sharm El Sheikh.

Suddenly declining health could be one reason for the sudden resignation on Friday -- which was given notably by Vice President Omar Suleiman.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mubarak-coma-2011-2#ixzz1ERgzJh5K

Imagine how ENORmOUS this surprise will be when the corruption in all the pro-West supported Arab nations is revealed.....many heads and WALLS will continue to fall like flies:):):):)

That's nothing new. What matters most is stability, especially in the current vacuum. Keep your eye on the prize -- freedom, peace and prosperity.

thanks to the U.S. invasion of Iraq freedom and democracy in the middle east is taking hold sooner than expected......

Possibly to some extent, but that action was not error-free. The stability of freedom and democracy in that region will depend on if there is any kind of backlash.

And now that Egypt has a power vacuum, Iran has acted in the area of the Suez Canal. Prices for gasoline have accordingly risen in the United States. I noticed a recent overnight change of 4 cents per gallon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Israel criticizes passage of Iranian warships through Suez Canal

By Joel Greenberg

washingtonpost.com

... two Iranian warships through the Suez Canal en route to Syria. The ships are expected to cross the canal Monday, the first such passage since Iran's 1979 revolution, after Egypt's ruling military council granted an Iranian request.

thanks to the U.S. invasion of Iraq freedom and democracy in the middle east is taking hold sooner than expected......

The invasion of Iraq by the USA has little to do with what's happening in Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Lybia, Yemen, Sudan, etc. The ONLY related thing is that in Iraq a RIGHT-WING Western-supported Rais toppled (Sadam) and in Egypt 2:):):)!!!!!

Archived