FB vs Twitter

planted

Reggie29-you made me giggle at myself. Always a good thing! I joined FB to keep tabs on my kids, but it does get tiresome. I so prefer e-mailing those I care to catch up with.

Virginia-What a great perspective-thanks for hammering that out for me!

Although I know some people that still have no interest in FB, most everyone else has flocked away from the majority of music oriented message boards and e-mail lists I belong to. Thing is, the conversations we were having before aren't necessarily now taking place on FB so in that regard, I see it more as a time waster for them than as an improved way of communicating.

I like FB to keep up with people.

I don't really understand Twitter, because I don't use it much, but I know it's useful at times, like the Photoshop World conference I'm attending at the end of the month.

It allows you to know up to the minute things, which can be useful at a big multi-day event like that.

My problem is understanding the lingo - hashtags? is twitter? - and knowing how to monitor what matters.

With my new iPod Touch i have the same apps that iPhones run, and Tweetdeck was a cool way to monitor FB and Twitter simultaneously, but the app just stopped working with FB altogether and began crashing continuously, and they don't seem to care to update it.

Anyway, I'm not into posting minute-by-minute updates on Twitter, but I keep it handy in the event it may be useful at a particular time.

Although I know some people that still have no interest in FB, most everyone else has flocked away from the majority of music oriented message boards and e-mail lists I belong to. Thing is, the conversations we were having before aren't necessarily now taking place on FB so in that regard, I see it more as a time waster for them than as an improved way of communicating.

I would say Facebook, but it is getting annoying with all the ads and privacy issues. Most of the people I know have decreased their activity except for the teenagers.

Jahfin how many music oriented message boards do you belong to?

Jahfin how many music oriented message boards do you belong to?

At least four (including this one). Some are staying afloat but others have definitely taken a hit from FB. One email list I belong to has pretty much ground to a halt but on some days it's bursting with new posts though those days are pretty rare. Thing is, once FB has run it's course (and it will, just like MySpace before it), those e-mail lists and message boards will still be there.

I was actually coaxed and pestered into joining FB by my friends. It was pretty much like : "Well, since everyone is joining, why don't you too?" I also have a twitter account. But I rarely update "my status". I find both FB and twitter to be rather tiring. I just joined both the websites because of my friends, really and the fact that my University has an official FB page which does come in handy at times. I would much rather stay in touch with the friends I really care about, through email. With an email, you can literally put down all your thoughts and express yourself better. Besides, emails are something private and not available for the entire world to see. So, all in all, in answer to the question, I am pretty indifferent towards FB and twitter and if I'm being very blunt, I find this forum to be more entertaining and "educative" so to speak (musically I mean) than FB. But one thing I do appreciate about FB is the fact that I have access to the personal FB pages of my favourite bands who come online and give fans detailed information about any upcoming album or tour or whatever. Reading about such things is rather exciting in my book :)

Both really, although I use Facebook more for talking with friends I went to school with years ago, since we don't live in the same state anymore. I love Twitter if only because there's certain celebrities who I think are funny/interesting, and I like reading what they post.

At least four (including this one). Some are staying afloat but others have definitely taken a hit from FB. One email list I belong to has pretty much ground to a halt but on some days it's bursting with new posts though those days are pretty rare. Thing is, once FB has run it's course (and it will, just like MySpace before it), those e-mail lists and message boards will still be there.

Yeah I agree. I think FB has crested and is on the way down.

I was going to remark that I don't have time for FB or Twitter but of course I might if I weren't on this forum every evening!

• 2 years later...

Mostly Facebook, although I've gained an appreciation for Twitter as a news source.

When some big news event is breaking, I can learn more faster monitoring Twitter feeds than anything else.

I surf the Internet since the mid-90s, and while I'm by no means an early adopter, I thank a friend from school for introducing me to it.

Screens were mostly gray, with blue links and black text. I remember the first online news source that I followed on a daily basis was called omri. Looks like it's no longer around, it was mostly daily, sometimes hourly dispatches from Eastern Europe, I was simply amazed at the speed with with news travelled the Atlantic Ocean, on a given evening there would be a demonstration on the streets of Sofia and a few hours later I'd be reading about it on my screen. It fascinated me.

I forgot the name of the primitive email system, ping or something, it was one word I don't remember, and it consisted of a black screen with white characters sort of like a mainframe screen, at the time it seemed really a state of the art tool to correspond with people thousands of kilometres away.

I never really got onto listservs and stuff, to tell the truth I don't think I ever understood them, but I do remember some course in school were it was mandatory to write on a message board. We set up an account by sending a message to a moderator with the header "subscribe" followed by an username.

The Internet has had many killer applications over its short history, right now the killer application is Facebook, or twitter, but I have been using the tool long enough to remember previous "killer applications", I'll name a few:

1) E-mail

2) Worid Wide Web

3) Blogs

These are older killer applications than Facebook. I remember some sources in the late nineties lauding email as the Internet's killer application. Business people had to print their email addresses on cards, it was trendy. By now Email has become outdated. Last article I read it mentioned the large amount of time people spend deleting spam from email, it's consuming valuable time and dragging productivity down. Email is seen as primitive and anachronic.

For the most part I have been an alien to both Facebook and twitter, until very recently. I'm beginning to assimilate the tools and exploiting them more and more with each passing day, but the truth is I feel older every time I use Facebook, or twitter, the Internet didn't use to be that simple. Whereas twitter takes only one simple sentence to work its magic, in the old days you would need to know how to format text, you would need some familiarity with other tools of the Internet such as ftp. I think it was much more interesting, and challenging than just "reblog". There's almost nothing original these days, most of the content out there is a reblog.

That's why twitter and Facebook make me feel an old person, I wasn't made for those tools, I long for the days when opening OMRI displayed all those informations from around the world.

Archived