Pick a concert.

Mine would have to be 7/21/69 at Central Park, NYC. B.B King was the opening act and they did 2 sets in a 5 thousand seat outdoor theatre. Fans paid a $1 & $1.50 and it was sold out and an estimated 15 thousand people listened to the concert from just outside the outdoor theatre. The atmosphere must have been unbelievable. Woodstock was only a month away. Ron Delsner the promoter said to famous NY D.J Scott Muni during the show "Why arent we recording this?". O man if they only knew what they were witnessing?

Mine would have to be 7/21/69 at Central Park, NYC. B.B King was the opening act and they did 2 sets in a 5 thousand seat outdoor theatre. Fans paid a $1 & $1.50 and it was sold out and an estimated 15 thousand people listened to the concert from just outside the outdoor theatre. The atmosphere must have been unbelievable. Woodstock was only a month away. Ron Delsner the promoter said to famous NY D.J Scott Muni during the show "Why arent we recording this?". O man if they only knew what they were witnessing?

Definitely. What a cheap admission, even when you'd factor inflation today.

This concert was actually filmed professionally.

This concert was actually filmed professionally.

I was just quoting from the "timeline" section of this site where they have an article from the press and state they have no video for this show. Doesnt mean none exist.

centralpark69-press.jpg

Since I saw just about every Los Angeles-area Led Zeppelin concert from 1972 to 1977, and because the LA shows in those years were usually the best of those respective tours, my pick would come from something earlier.

Bath 1970 is an obvious choice, as is Jimmy's birthday show at RAH.

Then, there are 3 that, everytime I listen to them, I wish there was a time machine so that I could go back in time to experience each one. Those three are:

1. Sept. 4, 1970 LA Forum

2. Sept. 19, 1970 Evening show Madison Square Garden, NY

3. Sept. 29, 1971 Osaka, Japan

But when I really think about it, and if someone had a gun to my head and said I could only pick ONE SHOW, my answer would be:

Sept. 7, 1968 Teen-Clubs, Gladsaxe, Denmark.

To be able to say you were at the VERY FIRST concert would be very special. That's cachet money can't buy.

I saw Jeff Beck there in 2009, but as good as he was I would give anything to have seen Zep there.

When I went inside, it hit me how incredible it must have been back on Jan 9, 1970. It is not an arena but a theatre so the experience is more personal since wherever you are sitting, you have a great visual and auditory experience. Those Victorians knew what they were doing. I was sitting with a couple who had seen The Beatles and The Stones play the same day at the RAH. The only time those two bands ever played on the same stage on the same day.

I was just quoting from the "timeline" section of this site where they have an article from the press and state they have no video for this show. Doesnt mean none exist.

centralpark69-press.jpg

Update on the 1969 Led Zep Central Park Footage

Exclusive from led-zeppelin.org's Adam Vickery and courtesy of film archivist Bill Shelley.

With the recent announcement and unearthing of a rare Led Zeppelin film I inquired to Mr. Bill Shelley about his find.

When asked details of his Central Park footage he responded with the following statement.

"Yes, my company Shelley Archives Inc does have film materials of Led Zeppelin in Central Park 1969. We own approximately 40 minutes of color 16mm film (negative and positive) that have to be match edited and sound sync'd. The sound is on 16mm full coat mag track.

For the moment there are possible plans for restoration through several record companies I'm involved with. As you may know, copyrights, publishing rights and image licensing from the artists have to be cleared in order to do anything with this film footage and this amounts often to a legal and long standing nightmare. My company is currently being licensed by Eagle Rock Entertainment for DVD releases of concert materials in the vault."

Best Wishes,

Bill Shelley

Shelley Archives Inc

Read more: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/news/index.php?m=2009news#ixzz1NB6u0l00

Update on the 1969 Led Zep Central Park Footage

Exclusive from led-zeppelin.org's Adam Vickery and courtesy of film archivist Bill Shelley.

With the recent announcement and unearthing of a rare Led Zeppelin film I inquired to Mr. Bill Shelley about his find.

When asked details of his Central Park footage he responded with the following statement.

"Yes, my company Shelley Archives Inc does have film materials of Led Zeppelin in Central Park 1969. We own approximately 40 minutes of color 16mm film (negative and positive) that have to be match edited and sound sync'd. The sound is on 16mm full coat mag track.

For the moment there are possible plans for restoration through several record companies I'm involved with. As you may know, copyrights, publishing rights and image licensing from the artists have to be cleared in order to do anything with this film footage and this amounts often to a legal and long standing nightmare. My company is currently being licensed by Eagle Rock Entertainment for DVD releases of concert materials in the vault."

Best Wishes,

Bill Shelley

Shelley Archives Inc

Read more: http://www.led-zeppe...s#ixzz1NB6u0l00

That would be fantastic if this ever see's the light of day!

Thanks for the info!

Archived