Zepp playlist for long haul flight

mckjuana

Hi,

I have a long flight from Australia to the UK coming up, and as sleep is impossible so I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to download a complete span of Zeppelin concerts from beginning to end and catch up.

Here's what I've got so far. Because of the fact that its in an aircraft I've focused on decent sounding quality representations, more soundboard as opposed to audience:

Fillmore West April 1969 (24th probably)

Paris Olympia October 1969

Vancouver 1970

Albert Hall 1970

Paris Theatre BBC sessions for 1971

How the West Was Won 1972

Southampton 22/01/1973

The Song Remains the Same 1973 (Remastered, except No Quarter taken from the original)

New York February 1975

Cleveland 1977 (Destroyer)

and nothing from 79/1980 at the moment.

Anyone got any amendments or suggestions which can be DL'd easily enough (assuming the necessary number of seeders etc).

I know this is akin to saying 'what are the best bootlegs', but I'm trying to do it taking into account availability and a time limit :D

There obvious ones, but they are the best:

Fillmore - 27/04/69

Orlando - 31.08.71

LA Forum - 21.06.77

LA Forum - 23.06.77

Earls Court - 24/25.05.75

LA Forum - March 75

A lot more of course, but these will do you proud for the time being....

Even though it's an audience recording, it is an EXCELLENT audience recording of a STELLAR show, so I would swap the September 4, 1970 LA Forum Live on Blueberry Hill show in place of the Vancouver 70.

You also need some Euro 73, which quite possibly features Jimmy and Bonzo's most incendiary playing...so add the March 24, 1973 Offenburg (often mislabelled as Offenbach) show.

Do you guys think that the performances of the Copenhagen 79 warm-ups are better than the Knebworth...well the first knebworth date, not the second one - which was no where near as good if I remember.

Are the Euro (non UK) 73 dates better than the US ones from a little later on that year. I have given the Southampton 73 a listen and think its great. Assuming I can grab a copy of Offenburg 73, and its as good as it sounds, it might be time to retire TSRTS from the playlist. The one thing it does have going for it is the great sound quality - as you'd expect.

The 77 US tour seems to get an equal mix of praise and scorn.

I have the Cleveland show (on Destroyer CD from my record fair scouring days) , and I also have an LA Forum show (Listen To This Eddie, again CD).

Do you think they are a decent enough representations of that tour, as they are the only 77 dates I've actually heard?

Although its an outstanding job for an audience tape, Eddie is a little trebly and probably not great for in-flight entertainment, hence my preference for the remastered Cleveland source.

I did previously have Rotterdam 80 on clear vinyl (swinging pig version) but I cant for the life of me remember what happened to it! I will source the Zurich 80 one.

One final question: Can anyone advise if there are any good quality sources of the early 75 US tour where Wanton, Levee and HMMT were used because of Page's broken finger?

In relation to everyone else's input. Thanks very much for the assistance. Very much appreciated.

I will put together a refined list based on some suggestions. :-)

muchos gracias!

Do you guys think that the performances of the Copenhagen 79 warm-ups are better than the Knebworth...well the first knebworth date, not the second one - which was no where near as good if I remember.

Are the Euro (non UK) 73 dates better than the US ones from a little later on that year. I have given the Southampton 73 a listen and think its great. Assuming I can grab a copy of Offenburg 73, and its as good as it sounds, it might be time to retire TSRTS from the playlist. The one thing it does have going for it is the great sound quality - as you'd expect.

The 77 US tour seems to get an equal mix of praise and scorn.

I have the Cleveland show (on Destroyer CD from my record fair scouring days) , and I also have an LA Forum show (Listen To This Eddie, again CD).

Do you think they are a decent enough representations of that tour, as they are the only 77 dates I've actually heard?

Although its an outstanding job for an audience tape, Eddie is a little trebly and probably not great for in-flight entertainment, hence my preference for the remastered Cleveland source.

I did previously have Rotterdam 80 on clear vinyl (swinging pig version) but I cant for the life of me remember what happened to it! I will source the Zurich 80 one.

One final question: Can anyone advise if there are any good quality sources of the early 75 US tour where Wanton, Levee and HMMT were used because of Page's broken finger?

In relation to everyone else's input. Thanks very much for the assistance. Very much appreciated.

I will put together a refined list based on some suggestions. :-)

muchos gracias!

I'll answer your questions in order.

1. Yes, I think the Copenhagen warm-ups are better than the Knebworth shows, both the 4th and 11th. But I also think you only need one of the Copenhagen shows...and that would be the 2nd night of July 24, 1979. The first night was plagued by equipment failures and lengthy delays and that annoying Danish clapping.

2. Euro 73 vs. US 73...that's an interesting contest. If you're going by performance quality, Euro 73 has it all over US 73. Only the 73 LA Forum shows and a couple others(Boston, NY) come close. Unfortunately the sound quality of Boston sucks.

The difference is in the setlists. Both tours shared Rock and Roll, OTHAFA, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop>SIBLY, TSRTS>Rain Song, D & C, Stairway, WLL, Heartbreaker, The Ocean(usually the encore).

Euro 73 also featured Dancing Days and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. There was no Moby Dick. But WLL usually featured a much longer medley than the US 73 WLL's. Besides the Boogie Mama bit, the Euro 73 WLL's included Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care, Let's Have A Party, and I Can't Quit You, which often featured Jimmy just GOING OFF, shredding his guitar in unbelievable fashion, with no regard for human life. The Dazed's also have to be heard to be believed...Bonham and Jimmy seemed to be on some wavelength to DESTROY the arena.

The encore was either Heartbreaker or The Ocean.

As for the 73 US setlist, take out Dancing Days and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, and add Celebration Day and No Quarter. Also add Moby Dick and Heartbreaker to the regular setlist. The Ocean and Communication Breakdown become the encores. Some cities got both, some only got one. Two, LA and NY, got a third encore: Thank You.

The WLL medley got shortened to just the Boogie Mama bit, with a few exceptions like New Orleans, San Diego, and the 2nd LA show.

3. The two 77 shows you have(Cleveland Destroyer and LA Forum Eddie) are pretty much representative of the 77 tour. If you want to expand, I suggest getting For Badgeholders Only, which is the June 23 LA Forum gig where Keith Moon made a special appearance. It's a Mike Millard recording so the sound is excellent. You could also try one of the NY MSG shows...there's a soundboard recently released of the June 7 show entitled Magical Sound Boogie.

After those shows, proceed with caution. Avoid Seattle, Oakland and Tuscon like the plague. Also one to avoid is the Landover soundboard called Bringing Down the House...oh, and San Diego.

There's another LA Forum Mike Millard recording worth checking out...the June 25 show. Fort Worth, Texas is another decent show...worth it for the It'll Be Me encore with Mick Ralphs alone.

4. Sad to say, while some of the early 75 shows are interesting, and even seem good performance-wise, particularly Chicago Jan. 20, there are no early 75 shows in even half-way decent quality.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know.

Osaka 929 (1971) never get tired of that one

Three hours of cinematic joy...this plays like a movie in my head

Jimmy strumming "and if you ever saw him (Rudolph the rednose reindeer)

Percy; "where's mr Bonham?...mr Bonham going to bath with Geisha"...

Bonzo "me limbs feel like jelly"

Percy; " They tell me how I knew my first love was true ...AAAAAHHH"

Bonzo "Fortune Teller...."

Gosh I would trade My mother in law for the mixdown of the multi track from that show

Get the Bluecongo matrix of the Zurich show from the 1980 tour, probably the best show of the tour and has an awesome version of Heartbreaker, good sound to boot.

yeh zurich is nice..but i kinda prefer the night after in frankfurt

funny cuz i'll be making a flight to australia myself shortly......dunno if it will contain zep though

trying to figure out how to ship my rather large collection of shit over there actually

Right, thanks for the input. I think I've now pretty much finalised the playlist. I think this would also serve as a good introduction for people wanting to delve into the world of bootlegs but who are initially put off by lesser quality recordings:

Copenhagen 69

San Francisco 24/4/69 (Dancing Avocado) - this may be dropped. I'm mulling this over. Technical problems with Jones' amp means there's a fair amount or superfluous noise going on in places.

San Francisco 27/4/69 (The Devil's Blues)

Paris 69 (FM broadcast)

London 70 (Royal Albert Hall)

LA Forum 70 - Blueberry Hill show. Even though the initial request was sound quality>performance. This one sneaks in :D

London 71 (BBC Session, but a more complete version from an alternative source)

HTWWW 72

Southampton 73

New York MSG 75

London Earls Court 75 (25th)

Cleveland 77 (Destroyer)

New York MSG 77 (Magical Sound Boogie)

Knebworth 79 (first show)

Zurich 80

Having said its finalised, the more I search online, the more reports I get of better shows to download!

on standby are:

the song remains the same, for nostalgic reasons.

compiled outtakes (in the morning, jennings, no quarter, swan song, fixing to die etc) from the whole career, which I've condensed into one 'disk' - I.e. around 70 minutes

Osaka 71 - again performance over quality for that one.

Orlando 71

St Louis 75

Vancouver 75 and Baton Rouge 75 (yet to be acquired)

LA Forum 77 (eddie)

I reckon that's enough for the flight and the 3 hour layover in Singapore.

You watch, after all this they will have a load of films that I end up watching instead!

In any case, its been a fantastic way to rekindle my interest in LZ bootlegs, after I stopped paying attention in the 90s sometime.

Damn, how much time do you have on that flight!?! I would substitute Orlando for BBC '71 and Eddie for NYC '77. Just my opinion, ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

Also, where is Japan 9/29/71? That's a MUST take!

Damn, how much time do you have on that flight!?! I would substitute Orlando for BBC '71 and Eddie for NYC '77. Just my opinion, ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

Also, where is Japan 9/29/71? That's a MUST take!

ha ha.

unfortunately i have about 27 hours on the flight, then a two hour drive. Then say hi to mum and dad, no doubt have a cup of tea thrust upon me, and I'll go straight to bed :)

Not a bad call with orlando vs BBC.

The reason I have left eddie off is because I am really familiar with it, aside from the Destroyer show, which I prefer, its probably one of my oldest bootegs CDs. I only grabbed the NYC show about 2 days ago, checked the quality and havent listened to it since, so its something new to look forward to

Japan 71 (I'm assuming Osaka) is in the reserve list at the moment. The quality of the version I have is not so great. Would you recommend a decent sounding version to search for?

I have "Fatally Wanderer" for the Osaka show. I understand your '77 switch, just listen to it early as the performance isn't quite up with the others on your list. They're all good of course, some just a little better than others! ;)

ha ha.

unfortunately i have about 27 hours on the flight, then a two hour drive. Then say hi to mum and dad, no doubt have a cup of tea thrust upon me, and I'll go straight to bed :)

Not a bad call with orlando vs BBC.

The reason I have left eddie off is because I am really familiar with it, aside from the Destroyer show, which I prefer, its probably one of my oldest bootegs CDs. I only grabbed the NYC show about 2 days ago, checked the quality and havent listened to it since, so its something new to look forward to

Japan 71 (I'm assuming Osaka) is in the reserve list at the moment. The quality of the version I have is not so great. Would you recommend a decent sounding version to search for?

You gotta add those Copenhagen Warmups to your list.

I'd love to, but the version I found was pretty bad quality unfortunately. Hence why I settled on the first Knebworth date.

Do you have a title you'd recommend and I'll happily go looking for it?

(I'm at work at the moment, so I cant remember specifically which one I acquired, but it was both shows, and most definitely an average audience recording, despite being labelled otherwise.)

Archived