JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

July 15, 2010: I Was Interviewed by Duane Eddy for BBC Radio 2

Today I went to the BBC Studios in West London, where they had prepared a link up with Duane Eddy in Nashville for a radio programme. Duane was hosting a tribute programme to Les Paul and we discussed the massive pioneering contribution that Les had presented to the world with his composition, recording and playing techniques. As Les had had a coast to coast television programme in the states; The Les Paul & Mary Ford Show between the years of 1954-1955, I think it is without a doubt that his music inspired a legion of guitarists that would become major influences themselves on the early rock and rockabilly scene emerging at that time. Duane Eddy himself twanged the thang in the late 50's and the 60's and even more recently you can hear his character sound in more recent music. He has just released a new album, let's wish him all the best.

Good idea SteveA. And yeah I do think thats the first one.

I agree. I am glad you are doing this Steve, especially if we miss a day, it's gone. So thank you. This is the first one, though the intro he is talking about the 'diary.' I am also wondering if you shouldn't just put the actual front page here too where it looks like it will be. Just an idea.

On this day… 16 Jul 1984

I played at the Alexis Korner Blues Tribute in Pistoia, Italy

I was invited and played a set at the Piazza del Duomo in Pistoia in the town square. It was an established yearly festival. I was impressed by Georgie Fame's rendition of Mose Allison's Parchman Farm where he sang and played Hammond organ as a solo spot. After the festival Ginger Baker, who had also been appearing invited us for supper at his local home where he had a fine orchard of olive trees. Music featured from an Alexis Korner benefit in Nottingham. The musical clip comes from another Alexis Corner Blues Tribute night I had played one month earlier with Ian Stewarts 'Rocket 88' in Nottingham, with the wonderful Ruby Turner on vocal.

ALSO: Does time limit make a factor for instance would in the UK we'd see the new "On This Day" at midnight by the USA would be on the previous day because of the time difference?

post-15438-0-68407400-1310774399_thumb.p

With respect to the previous uploader, here's a full screen shot of today's page. As Magenta did above, I propose we do a full screenshot from now on. Something to enjoy while vicariously reminiscing over a fine Claret or perhaps a Pinot Grigio.

post-6833-0-56803100-1310777537_thumb.jp

Does time limit make a factor for instance would in the UK we'd see the new "On This Day" at midnight by the USA would be on the previous day because of the time difference?

Seems to me On This Day features are presented for 24 hours with no regard for time zones as they are all based on GMT. This means those in the Far East saw the July 15th feature well into what was July 16th for them, while those in the US will be seeing it "early".

Alexis Corner :slapface:

With respect to the previous uploader, here's a full screen shot of today's page. As Magenta did above, I propose we do a full screenshot from now on. Something to enjoy while vicariously reminiscing over a fine Claret or perhaps a Pinot Grigio.

Please educate the forum membership on how this was achieved with step by step instructions. Eye Thank Yew.

On this day… 16 Jul 1984

I played at the Alexis Korner Blues Tribute in Pistoia, Italy

I was invited and played a set at the Piazza del Duomo in Pistoia in the town square. It was an established yearly festival. I was impressed by Georgie Fame's rendition of Mose Allison's Parchman Farm where he sang and played Hammond organ as a solo spot. After the festival Ginger Baker, who had also been appearing invited us for supper at his local home where he had a fine orchard of olive trees. Music featured from an Alexis Korner benefit in Nottingham. The musical clip comes from another Alexis Corner Blues Tribute night I had played one month earlier with Ian Stewarts 'Rocket 88' in Nottingham, with the wonderful Ruby Turner on vocal.

ALSO: Does time limit make a factor for instance would in the UK we'd see the new "On This Day" at midnight by the USA would be on the previous day because of the time difference?

So Ironic. This very show was discussed a few days ago in the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread.. B)

Steve - Screenshot using a Mac: Use Grab application - Capture selection tool - Drag cursor over area of screen desired - saves as .tiff (which can be kept as .tiff or converted to .jpg). Optional refining in iPhoto or equivalent - upload to forum - JOY!

<br><br>Betteremily - I hate to sound pedantic, but what you describe is not ironic, merely coincidental! Alanis Morrissette had this very same problem.... ;)

@Steve - Screenshot on a Mac: Use Grab application> Capture selection tool> Drag cursor over area of screen desired> saves as .tiff (which can be kept as .tiff or saved as .jpg). Optional refining in iPhoto or equivalent> upload to forum> JOY!

Shift+cmd+3 Whole screen shot

Shift+cmd+4 area you want to select

:)

Steve - Screenshot using a Mac: Use Grab application - Capture selection tool - Drag cursor over area of screen desired - saves as .tiff (which can be kept as .tiff or converted to .jpg). Optional refining in iPhoto or equivalent - upload to forum - JOY!

How is this done on a standard pc? Anyone?

Hopefully everyone can master the technical issues... :-)

As for today's entry, I think it is a tender tribute not merely to Alexis Korner personally and the Blues in general, but to Jimmy's love of music in all its forms. Suddenly it dawns on me that the 'On This Day' feature will give us glimpses into the heart and soul of this man whose career runs like a golden thread through the last fifty years of modern music. Brings tears — and a smile — to your eyes...

I just hit the print screen button, than go to Paint and hit paste. Crop just the picture and save it. Done.

If you hold down the ALT button while pressing PRINT SCREEN, then it will take a snapshot of just the web browser (instead of everything on your monitor).

I played the Seattle Kingdome with Led Zeppelin

The Kingdome, an inflatable dome in Seattle, was an indoor venue that held 70,000 people. It felt surreal, as we entered the building through an airlock door. Here is a section of my solo spot that features the theremin and the bow and the exploration of both. It's lengthy but gives an example of my avant garde journey with this sonic architecture.

post-15438-0-52403400-1310857329_thumb.p

Archived