Led Zeppelin in the early years of the Internet

Cecil.

I think first search came up with lots of pages under construction.

Led Zeppelin were a English Rock group .... more later?

I found a site around 1999 which had video clips ( may have been this site?.) piano jam from No Quarter? never could get it to play.

What did everyone else find?

once upon a time.........there was this wonderful internet man.........he held the apple from the tree and seemed disintrested........but we all gathered forth and fucked about anyways........was fun really...........but then..........:o

In the early days of the internet (we're talking early 1990s here), there were no graphical web browsers. Actually, there were no web browsers at all! For the most part, people could only access the internet through monochrome terminals that displayed text only. Back then, the only resource for Led Zeppelin information was the newsgroup called alt.music.led-zeppelin.

The first actual website I remember seeing was Bruce the Buckeye's page, at http://www.oldbuckeye.com/

I didn't get an e-mail account until 1999...definitely not earlier than late-1998. The first music-related internet group I joined was an Aimee Mann group called the "Mannlist" and a Michael Penn group.

I had already been a Led Zeppelin fan for life, having heaps of their albums, books, ephemera, so the only reason I would have had to enter the term "Led Zeppelin" on the internet would be for looking for information about bootlegs. I think "Underground Uprising" was the very first Led Zeppelin-related website I visited, either in 1999 or 2000. From there I found Electric Magic and Buckeye's page...and possibly Stryder's Achilles site, too.

I lurked around for a while, until after some time, I decided I liked the Electric Magic site the best. I joined up and haven't looked back since...continuing on when Electric Magic switched in 2007 to become the official Led Zeppelin site.

It remains the only Led Zeppelin site I am a member of, and contribute to. That is a testament to Sam Webmaster's excellent work here and to the various members here.

i wasn't ( and still am not ) very savvy with the net. i really didn't start using it till about 2006. :blink:

then when i heard news about the 02 concert i had a look online and found this website. i couldn't believe i was so stupid to not look online before that. :slapface:

i spent literally every spare moment on here trying to read everything. :)

i love this site, and still visit most days.

I have been on-line since 1993 and one of the first browsers was Prodigy. From 1993 until 1997 the web was pretty much the domain of a few but began to take off around late 97'. I remember Zep sites as far back as 95' but cannot remember the site names. They were nothing special. It was not until Electric Magic came about that things began to get interesting. I have been on here ever since biggrin.gif

I first started browsing the internet in 1999, when I was 12 years old. At that time, I was just about getting into the music of Led Zeppelin, all thanks to my dad! :D But strange as it may seem, my internet searches seemed to revolve around pop groups like "Boyzone", "The Spice Girls", "Westlife" and "Aqua" :bagoverhead: Luckily, it was just a "phase" I was going through! :lol:

Till late 2007, I never did do any internet research about Led Zeppelin, since I thought that my dad knew everything there was to know, about the band. Then, all these really cool reviews and write-ups about the O2 Reunion Show caught my attention and that's when I became exceptionally curious about the band's music history.

I came across this forum in late 2008, but I didn't join up because I was feeling really really shy at the time! :blush: I finally signed up in 2010 because I used to visit this board quite frequently as a lurker and somehow, I had developed the rather incredible urge to post here and express myself! B) The only two Led Zeppelin related websites I ever expressed any interest in, are this one (of course!) and the band's wikipedia page! :P:lol:

I miss having usenet as the main source for musical discussions ( or any other discussions for that matter ). It was wild and wooley and pretty intense often, but it was a lot of fun too.

No dancing icons or smiley faces, just fan discussions.

I miss having usenet as the main source for musical discussions ( or any other discussions for that matter ). It was wild and wooley and pretty intense often, but it was a lot of fun too.

No dancing icons or smiley faces, just fan discussions.

The listservs have certainly taken a beating at the hands of Facebook, same for message boards. Facebook has it's pros and cons but when it comes to musical discussions I still prefer listservs and message boards. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority.

The listservs have certainly taken a beating at the hands of Facebook, same for message boards. Facebook has it's pros and cons but when it comes to musical discussions I still prefer listservs and message boards. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority.

I'm one of the minority as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Pages with only 2-3 colors,'Led Zeppelin' title in red or blue,some big images loading for 8 minutes...Ah,stone-ages.

I once sat around for about 10 minutes like Old Shep . Hope and cheapo internet collide .

Never did see the picture...

In the early days of the internet (we're talking early 1990s here), there were no graphical web browsers. Actually, there were no web browsers at all!

There was Mosaic.

The Mosaic / Macintosh was a state of the art combination.

There was a great deal of information sources, even at that early stage. There was even amazon.com

Most pages were basic html, Mosaic provided a gray background, linked text was in blue and the remainder of the text in black.

Bad coding led to "broken" images that could go unfixed for days.

There was a Zep online discussion mail list called Digital Graffiti that I first became aware of in 1994.

It still exists today as For Badgeholders Only.

What a discovery! And how cool was it to be able to talk about Zeppelin with other fans from all over the globe!

Its a great source for Zep information with a lot of friendly and informed members

These are captions from the Way Back Machine, it shows how ledzeppelin.com looked like in mid-2000 and mid-2003 respectively.

Does anybody know when ledzeppelin.com went online?

Apparently the domain name ledzeppelin,com belonged to another company, in the late nineties to early 2000s, I conclude this because the Way Back Machine in those years points to the front page of another company.

post-17993-0-92946900-1320451961.jpg

post-17993-0-46323600-1320452397.jpg

I'm sure Sam can help set the record straight but prior to this becoming the official Led Zeppelin site before the concert at the O2, I'm pretty sure the URL was led-zeppelin.com. Meanwhile the official site (pictured above with the front cover of the Led Zeppelin DVD) didn't have the dash in the web address.

Archived