Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

I gave up on commercial radio back in the mid-90s when one of our local stations went all classic rock (meaning no new music) and a station devoted to "Modern Rock" popped up. I liked it at first for no other reason than I didn't have to hear the same old songs by the same old bands over and over again but a steady diet of Stone Temple Pilots, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Candlebox, Tonic, etc. grew equally as tiring even though I'm a fan of several of those bands. Plus, their idea of a "Flashback" to the early days of alternative consisted of the same Ramones or R.E.M. songs every day at lunch. The format was just too confining and unadventurous. It wasn't long after that when I subsisted on the local NPR station (mainly for All Things Considered and Mountain Stage) along with my CDs. This lasted until around 2004 when I decided to subscribe to XM which turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. I haven't looked back since. Radio has changed so dramatically since the days of AOR in the 70s and 80s that it holds very little interest to me unless it's something like KEXP out of Seattle or KGSR in Austin, both of which I can listen to thanks to the magic of the innerwebs. I'm also blessed in the Triangle area of NC to have some very worthwhile college radio stations to tune into such as WUNC, WXYC (UNC Chapel Hill), WXDU (Duke University in Durham) and WKNC (NC State University in Raleigh). There's also a community run station out of Carrboro called WCOM that has some very unique programming. Thankfully, there's also a very vibrant live music scene here that has helped introduce me to tons of local bands not just in the past but in the present. With all of those resources combined with good ol' word of mouth, I have no problem whatsoever discovering new music. Unfortunately, commercial radio has become a lost cause, other than a few progressive stations that can be tuned into via the internets.

Yes, the same basic story as a whole - holds true for New Orleans radio stations. It's a pity that more and more loads of kids that don't know any better or that are too young to make that decision for themselves to have alternate radio, wind up growing up to the crap on commercial airwaves. The bands we admire will become more of a lost gem than anything. I've always had this vision of what music will be like 100 years from now or should I say, will the guitar and rock music still exist or will it be something of the past? I venture to say that I think it may still be around but unfortunately the majority of society is fixated with the type of "music" that is so dominat today. I'd love to think it's a fad but it's more popular than ever. Also I think hip-hop/rap is here to stay. I thought that was just going to be a fad as well, but I was wrong. Wishful thinking.

I really don't have a problem with hip-hop or rap. It's not my personal taste in music but I also don't see it as a deterrent. As for what's popular on radio these days, I don't think that's going to stop younger people from seeking out what they like. When I was growing up, I started out listening to AM radio which was full of pop music. Nothing the matter with that either as I discovered Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Zeppelin and other artists I liked from my older siblings as well as my friends. Of course, years later I gravitated towards album radio which led to me discovering more and more music on my own. Younger folks today no longer have that option unless they're fortunate enough to be living in an area where one of the few progressive FM stations continue to prosper. Even without that benefit, they have far more options than I did as a kid in the 1970s to discover new music. The radio is no longer the only source for getting into new artists and something beyond the pop music spectrum, they have this wonderful tool called the internet as well as satellite radio. It just depends on how much incentive they have to go to the trouble to seek it out. Given the popularity of the iPod and downloading music, I get the distinct impression that they're no longer confining their musical choices as to what's on the radio. In fact, it's been that way for quite some time now. I see nothing at all the matter with that as the only constant in my life has been change and that applies to how I've discovered new music over the years as well. For me, I've gotten into some of my most favorite music via word of mouth from friends, relatives, etc. That is no different for those coming along today, it's just that the options for doing so are much greater. If anything, the only downside is that they may be overwhelmed by those choices, not limited by them. I'm not sure how it applies to everyone else but I will use my niece as an example. She is now 25 but when she was a teen she was into Marilyn Manson, rap and whatever else may have been popular back in the late 90s. As she grew older she got more and more into the music she was brought up around whether that was the Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic or new bands of the time such as the Avett Brothers. As her musical tastes matured, none of those artists she got into came to her via commercial radio. It was a combination of the music she was brought up on as well as what her friends were listening to. Add to that, the amount of music festivals she's attended over the years. I know that MerleFest is how she first got into the Avett Brothers and her tastes have only grown from there. In other words, I wouldn't place too much stock on what is and what isn't getting played on the radio in 2011 as it plays a far less significant role in the lives of younger folks than it ever has before. If they're into music to the point of seeking out what they like for themselves, there are far more options to do so today than there ever has been. That, to me, is a very good thing. As I've mentioned, I use the very same resources. I hate that commercial radio has become a virtual wasteland (for the most part) but times change and so do the ways in which we discover music, whether you're young or old. You either adapt to the changing times or else stay stuck in the past longing for the days of album radio. I've adapted to the loss of that format by becoming an avid listener to the Deep Tracks channel on XM. If I want to hear new music, I have no shortage of ways to stumble upon it as well.

I really don't have a problem with hip-hop or rap. It's not my personal taste in music but I also don't see it as a deterrent. As for what's popular on radio these days, I don't think that's going to stop younger people from seeking out what they like. When I was growing up, I started out listening to AM radio which was full of pop music. Nothing the matter with that either as I discovered Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Zeppelin and other artists I liked from my older siblings as well as my friends. Of course, years later I gravitated towards album radio which led to me discovering more and more music on my own. Younger folks today no longer have that option unless they're fortunate enough to be living in an area where one of the few progressive FM stations continue to prosper. Even without that benefit, they have far more options than I did as a kid in the 1970s to discover new music. The radio is no longer the only source for getting into new artists and something beyond the pop music spectrum, they have this wonderful tool called the internet as well as satellite radio. It just depends on how much incentive they have to go to the trouble to seek it out. Given the popularity of the iPod and downloading music, I get the distinct impression that they're no longer confining their musical choices as to what's on the radio. In fact, it's been that way for quite some time now. I see nothing at all the matter with that as the only constant in my life has been change and that applies to how I've discovered new music over the years as well. For me, I've gotten into some of my most favorite music via word of mouth from friends, relatives, etc. That is no different for those coming along today, it's just that the options for doing so are much greater. If anything, the only downside is that they may be overwhelmed by those choices, not limited by them. I'm not sure how it applies to everyone else but I will use my niece as an example. She is now 25 but when she was a teen she was into Marilyn Manson, rap and whatever else may have been popular back in the late 90s. As she grew older she got more and more into the music she was brought up around whether that was the Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic or new bands of the time such as the Avett Brothers. As her musical tastes matured, none of those artists she got into came to her via commercial radio. It was a combination of the music she was brought up on as well as what her friends were listening to. Add to that, the amount of music festivals she's attended over the years. I know that MerleFest is how she first got into the Avett Brothers and her tastes have only grown from there. In other words, I wouldn't place too much stock on what is and what isn't getting played on the radio in 2011 as it plays a far less significant role in the lives of younger folks than it ever has before. If they're into music to the point of seeking out what they like for themselves, there are far more options to do so today than there ever has been. That, to me, is a very good thing. As I've mentioned, I use the very same resources. I hate that commercial radio has become a virtual wasteland (for the most part) but times change and so do the ways in which we discover music, whether you're young or old. You either adapt to the changing times or else stay stuck in the past longing for the days of album radio. I've adapted to the loss of that format by becoming an avid listener to the Deep Tracks channel on XM. If I want to hear new music, I have no shortage of ways to stumble upon it as well.

I agree with you. To be brief, the rock music market is on the decline and unless you discover, stumble upon or sign up for the alternate radio, you won't hear it. Remember not to many days ago when Stone Temple, and Pearl Jam, etc had such an impact on society and culture. That was the last era I can remember rock music being so much of a presence.

I agree with you. To be brief, the rock music market is on the decline and unless you discover, stumble upon or sign up for the alternate radio, you won't hear it. Remember not to many days ago when Stone Temple, and Pearl Jam, etc had such an impact on society and culture. That was the last era I can remember rock music being so much of a presence.

I recently took part in a discussion about this on another board where this very thing was referred to as a "Nevermind moment" in reference to the Nirvana album (which just so happens to be celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year). I think the ways to discover new music are so splintered and divided into niches that such a moment is long since past us. Personally, I'm ok with it although it's sometimes a bit hard to fathom that things have come this far in such a relatively short period of time. I love listening to the radio, not just for the music but also for the personalities that present it. Within the past couple of weeks, one of the last remaining rock stations in this area (96 Rock in Raleigh) completely did away with all of their announcers. I was never really a fan of that station because their scope was so limited but perhaps the most fucked up thing about it was that no one was given any sort of advance notice, including the announcers. They went into work one day only to discover they no longer had jobs. Having worked in radio myself, I know that's how it works but it still doesn't lessen the blow any. AM and FM radio will always be around, it's just that the role they once played in our lives will no longer be the same. That's a real shame because some of my fondest memories are of growing up listening to AM and FM radio as a kid and as a young adult. As I've mentioned, the closest this generation can get to that these days is via something like XM's Deep Tracks channel or by hunting down one of the last progressive FM stations using the internet.

I recently took part in a discussion about this on another board where this very thing was referred to as a "Nevermind moment" in reference to the Nirvana album (which just so happens to be celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year). I think the ways to discover new music are so splintered and divided into niches that such a moment is long since past us. Personally, I'm ok with it although it's sometimes a bit hard to fathom that things have come this far in such a relatively short period of time. I love listening to the radio, not just for the music but also for the personalities that present it. Within the past couple of weeks, one of the last remaining rock stations in this area (96 Rock in Raleigh) completely did away with all of their announcers. I was never really a fan of that station because their scope was so limited but perhaps the most fucked up thing about it was that no one was given any sort of advance notice, including the announcers. They went into work one day only to discover they no longer had jobs. Having worked in radio myself, I know that's how it works but it still doesn't lessen the blow any. AM and FM radio will always be around, it's just that the role they once played in our lives will no longer be the same. That's a real shame because some of my fondest memories are of growing up listening to AM and FM radio as a kid and as a young adult. As I've mentioned, the closest this generation can get to that these days is via something like XM's Deep Tracks channel or by hunting down one of the last progressive FM stations using the internet.

There are alot of FM stations here and most play "pop" music but there are a handful that play rock. One in particular is called Bayou 95.7. All classic rock. They play the same 3 songs from every band. But the local college radio and another one called WWOZ are fun to listen to as an alternative but it's mostly either punk (cool) or blues and jazz. That's about the most interesting thing going for me here. I take advantage of the good moments if I'm tuning in. For me, I've never yet gotten around to listening to XM or anything like that unless in someone elses vehicle. I listen to alot of AM talk or a favorite Cd while driving.

I do agree with them on one thing for sure in this article...where are all the rock bands these days???? There are no new good/great "rock" acts dominating the charts, or on radio..at least not from where I reside. Everything you hear today is inflammed with some hint of pop illuminating the atmosphere. It's sad really.

More confirmation from ITUNES

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/apple-announces-mostdownloaded-itunes-songs-of-all-time-1910947.html

Only band from 70's made the list, the rest dead on forbes article "So where have all the guitar gods gone? – to the dance-floor, mainly

More confirmation from ITUNES

http://www.independe...me-1910947.html

Only band from 70's made the list, the rest dead on forbes article "So where have all the guitar gods gone? – to the dance-floor, mainly

Personally, I don't need to hear good music on commercial radio to know it still exists. Speaking just for myself, there's been more great music released this year than I can possibly keep up with. I guess it just depends upon how important it is to you to seek it out. Even back in the 70s, I explored lots of nooks and crannies beyond album radio in order to find artists like John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Commander Cody, Guy Clark and tons of others far too numerous to mention.

You're a new member, you have one post to your name, yet you've noticed throughout the entire forum, someone else's posting style? And noticed it to enough of a degree to make comment about it?

Uh-huh. Heard that story before.

To get back on topic, Jimmy Page solidly belongs in the Top 5 of all-time greatest guitarists. I wouldn't put him toward the bottom of the Top 10, but I wouldn't put him near the top. For my money, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Walsh were better, but that's entirely my opinion.

It's really a shame that everyone posting on ALL the threads has to make it a point to say "this is just my opinion" or something to that affect. I understand that you have too, to avoid being questioned, bashed, or other. Every person on this site has an opinion and it will never change. You can't argue an opinion, but there is a line between opinion and bad taste. That's where the arguments and disagreements start. I'm sure there are plenty of people that like the same tunes, groups and music that I do. What I think is trash-IS trash. What I think is good-IS good. I think I have great taste in music, but someone else will always disagree. There is nothing wrong with someone liking or disliking a song, etc..even if it sounds crazy, rediculous, insane.... We can argue opinions all day long-The only place I draw the line is any disrespect to Page or any other Zeppelin affiliate/member that has brought us all here.

I was referring to your post where you named your top three bands. Here you've included bands and individual artists which is entirely contrary to the point you were attempting to make.

1. The Who

2. Led Zeppelin

3. Rolling Stones

4. Chuck Berry

5. Bob Dylan

6. Elvis

7. The Ramones

8. The Clash

9. Hendrix

10. The Beatles

I disagree completely, but that's also entirely my opinion. I also noticed that the more posts people have, the less they tend to appreciate Jimmy Page, the more they appreciate other guitarists.

What's wrong with appreciating other guitarists? Is Jimmy Page the only guitarist people here are supposed to like and appreciate? My musical tastes run far beyond just Led Zeppelin.

I disagree completely, but that's also entirely my opinion. I also noticed that the more posts people have, the less they tend to appreciate Jimmy Page, the more they appreciate other guitarists.

Let me know when they discover a Stevie Ray recording on which he uses a second guitar tone. (I know it's a polarizing and extremist statement, but as a semantic vector, it will point to most of what I dislike about the player if I had to cite reasons for ranking him below Page).

Jimi Hendrix. Woodstock. One of the most intense half-hours in the history of rock. And anybody notice how the early demos of No Quarter don't have the riff complete with the last part and after Hendrix's Machine Gun concert, the end of the No Quarter riff included the same ending as the one from Machine Gun?

Joe Walsh. Might as well sa Keith Richards and George Harrison and buy a Rollingstone flag and plant it in your front yard.

Allman. I see it. Just don't give my money to the man. Prefer mr Page. Seeing what WolfMother did on Cosmic Egg made me understand more about the hatred Zep got for borrowing so much.

I generally see so many other guitarists being very highly appreciated, yet wielding nothing of the intensity, weight, austerity, magic, intelligence and passion that Page possesses. Maybe it's the way he channels it that I relate to more, but by God do I so sincerely disagree with putting a 'Joe Walsh', an Eric Clapton, a George Harrison, a Keith Richards (saw him air guitar in Ottawa while the backing band played) ahead of Page. I just really don't

:goodpost:

Why Neil Young never makes any of these lists is beyond me, having said that it doesn't really bother me.

He is one of the most influential guitarists ever and he like Page is not confined to any one style, be it electrically or acoustically.

Just ask Pearl Jam, RHCP, Nirvana and even Jimmy Page among many other modern and old musicians alike how good he is.

Lists are nothing more and nothing less than popularity polls and will never be anything else.

Why Neil Young never makes any of these lists is beyond me, having said that it doesn't really bother me.

He is one of the most influential guitarists ever and he like Page is not confined to any one style, be it electrically or acoustically.

Just ask Pearl Jam, RHCP, Nirvana and even Jimmy Page among many other modern and old musicians alike how good he is.

Lists are nothing more and nothing less than popularity polls and will never be anything else.

Neil Young came in at #17 on the list.

What is your favorite band then? Do you actively post EVEN MORE on that band's forum?

On most days, I consider the Beatles my favorite band. I don't belong to any forums or email lists devoted to them.

I also logically/implicitly understand that by your statement you did not say that Zeppelin isn't your favorite band, but all rhetorical red tape aside, I am glad you presented your true colors.

I've never made it any secret that Led Zeppelin isn't my favorite band. One of my favorites? Yes. My very favorite? No.

I now understand your statements a bit more. You're just not really as passionate a Zeppelin fan as a lot of people are. And there's nothing wrong with that. Some people hate chocolate. Some millionaires drive around in a used VolksWagen with no wheelcaps. We all have our tastes.

I just wonder then why you're on a site dedicated to the band when you are not.

I'm plenty passionate about Led Zeppelin or I wouldn't be here at all. I can belong to any forum or online discussion group I so chose and still not consider the artist it's dedicated to be my favorite.

What's next, an interrogation of each and every forum member so you determine the level of our passion for Led Zeppelin and whether or not you think we should be members here?

This is my absolute favorite post of yours. Sincerely. It is very revealing and goes a very long way in explaining your bitterness. It's not easy being a Beatles fan on a Zeppelin forum. And also very, VERY odd. It's a free medium in a free world and people have done weirder things. But you have been honest and this is a true gift. I am surprised by it and appreciate it deeply. Thank you.

What "bitterness"? It is also not in the least bit odd or weird to be a fan of another artist (whether be the Beatles, the Stones, the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, Neil Younger or whoever) and to also belong to a Led Zeppelin board. If each and every one one of us here considered Led Zeppelin to be our favorite band, they're be no need for the Other Bands forum. What's odd and weird and is you singling me out for your inquisition.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Why Jimmy Page himself appreciates other guitarists. However I find it odd to join a community centered around someone/some people only to consistently state that they are not our favorite. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a yahoo or msn general rock discussion group. It's a Zeppelin Forum and I personally wouldn't join Bon Jovi's forums only to go on and rave about Chet Atkins, Les Paul and Bert Jansch. I just find it curious that people with thousands of posts on a forum actually don't hold the people concerned (musicians, etc. involved in Zep) in highest esteem.

I mean I understand rating Hendrix so highly, just like a Chuck Norris fan could respect and share the 'opinion' that Bruce Lee was better. I just don't imagine a die hard Cuck Norris fan constantly saying that Van Dame, Statham, Seagal and Vin Diesel are head and shoulders above him, saying 'Cuck Norris had the better TV series and exercise equipment, but he is not in my personal top 10'. It's not that the opinion in itself is untenable or invalid. It is that such a self-proclaimed fan would hold such an opinion.

Why join a Zeppelin fan forum if you're so quick to dismiss its musician(s)? Am I just a blind Pagehead? I mean I'm trying to imagine it like I'm a non-delusional U2 fan. I'd be more than ok with the notion of 'The Edge' shave gel not being voted in the top 500 guitarists of all time. But we're talking about Led freakin Zeppelin lol:) In my very generalizing opinion, if you're on here, you're turned on by all four of the guys. I dunno. Maybe you just don't like Zeppelin as much as others and only feel comfortable considering it your favorite music or among it.

I have well over 800 cds, 1200 books, thousands of movies, etc. I obviously have been exposed to a myriad of music genres, styles and types, ranging from classical, to hip hop and have been to most of these types of concerts and enjoyed them. Amongst it all, though, Jimmy Page really stands out for me as a human being of exceptional acumen and controlled focus that gets my jure et facto respect.

I don't get all the non-love that goes around HERE, of all places.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. The people who post here are fans of Led Zeppelin. Some are bigger fans than others, but we're all here because we love the music. Led Zeppelin is not my #1 favorite band, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the four of them brought to the table musically. However, that doesn't mean I think the four of them were the greatest ever to do what they did. I don't even think the members of the band that are my favorite are the greatest ever at what they did. I can love, respect, and admire their work while still being objective about the people who performed it.

Archived