Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

Richards must not be juxtaposed with Page and Beck on this list -- he is much less great than these two.

This is how I would arrange the list:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Eric Clapton

4. Jeff Beck

5. B.B. King

6. Stevie Ray Vaughan

7. Chuck Berry

8. Ritchie Blackmore

9. Eddie Van Halen

10. Steve Howe

Richards must not be juxtaposed with Page and Beck on this list -- he is much less great than these two.

"Greatness" is in the ear of the beerholder. Any list of guitarists would be incomplete without the inclusion of Keith Richards.

"Greatness" is in the ear of the beerholder. Any list of guitarists would be incomplete without the inclusion of Keith Richards.

I agree, but I would add: any top ten list of guitarists would be biased with the inclusion of Richards. He just doesn't deserve to be in the top ten of the greatest rock and blues guitarists.

Give me one reason why Richards should be in the top 10 and Blackmore or Howe not.

I didn't say anything about Blackmore or Howe not belonging in the top 10. I don't know that I'd include either one of them in mine but if you feel like they belong in yours that's perfectly fine as it all boils down to personal taste. Just because some publication like Rolling Stone (or any of the plethora of other music magazines out there) includes Richards (or someone else you obviously don't like) doesn't mean it's etched in stone. Believe me, everything is going to be ok. The world is not going to suddenly spin off of it's axis because of some list you disagree with.

Give me one reason why Richards should be in the top 10 and Blackmore or Howe not.

I always thought that Richards is crap. Never heard him doing a good solo. He is sooo far away from Blackmore and Page. I can't understand the hype about this guy. He is probably the worst guitar player in Rock History, together with Ron Wood.

And of course Blackmore belongs in the top 10 of every rock poll. He is a great improviser and technically way better than Page. But Page is better in making a song interesting. He's a real good lick-and rhythm-player, like James Burton (who should be up on top there too!!!).

I always thought that Richards is crap. Never heard him doing a good solo. He is sooo far away from Blackmore and Page. I can't understand the hype about this guy. He is probably the worst guitar player in Rock History, together with Ron Wood.

And of course Blackmore belongs in the top 10 of every rock poll. He is a great improviser and technically way better than Page. But Page is better in making a song interesting. He's a real good lick-and rhythm-player, like James Burton (who should be up on top there too!!!).

So riffs and actual songs don't matter, just solos? Blackmore may be a better mechanic than Richards but Richards has built many better cars in my opinion.

I'm fine with Richards being the top 10 but come on, he just doesn't deserve to be on the 4th place. No way he was greater than Beck.

Also, I'm fine with Page being at 3, but The Rolling Stones weren't even a bit greater than Zeppelin (musically).

Just because some publication like Rolling Stone (or any of the plethora of other music magazines out there) includes Richards (or someone else you obviously don't like)

Good word selection.

I'm fine with Richards being the top 10 but come on, he just doesn't deserve to be on the 4th place. No way he was greater than Beck.

In your opinion. Again, it all comes down to personal taste. Perhaps he was ranked so highly because the group of people that picked him for that slot did so because of his influence, not for his technical prowess.

So riffs and actual songs don't matter, just solos? Blackmore may be a better mechanic than Richards but Richards has built many better cars in my opinion.

Haven't written that. RIffs are important too. Blackmore wrote a lot of Riffs. "Smoke o.t. w." may be the best riff ever! Come on, what's the deal with Richards?? I was never a fan of the stones and their music, though they have a few great songs. Richards can't hold a candle to Blackmore or Page.

I forgot to write that I'm a guitar player myself.

Haven't written that. RIffs are important too. Blackmore wrote a lot of Riffs. "Smoke o.t. w." may be the best riff ever! Come on, what's the deal with Richards?? I was never a fan of the stones and their music, though they have a few great songs. Richards can't hold a candle to Blackmore or Page.

I forgot to write that I'm a guitar player myself.

100% true. Even when it comes to pure influence, Richards isn't even half as influential as Blackmore.

Come on, what's the deal with Richards?? I was never a fan of the stones and their music, though they have a few great songs.

Therein lies the problem. You're admittedly not a fan of the man (or the band he plays in) so it stands to reason that you're going to be biased towards him. Not saying you're right or wrong, just that you're biased. I'm probably the same way, I'm not much on players like Vai or Satriani but I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

Therein lies the problem. You're admittedly not a fan of the man (or the band he plays in) so it stands to reason that you're going to be biased towards him. Not saying you're right or wrong, just that you're biased. I'm probably the same way, I'm not much on players like Vai or Satriani but I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

Of course it's just our opinion. Everybody should have his own!

There are a lot of guitar players who are technically great but that I don't like, and there are a lot which I like. Jimmy is one of the sloopiest players ever but one of the greatest in rock history! He "has" if for me what Richards doesn't have. And , also in a technical sense, Richards is far behind Jimmy anyway. So when I hear RIchards play, it gives me nothing. When I hear Jimmy, I know exactly that it is him. And so it is with Blackmore. When I hear Richards it doesn't sound special for me.

But why discuss about that? Those lists are always crap!! It's just a matter of popularity.

Who knows about Lenny Breau these days?? Or guys like Jerry Reed?

In my oppinion, Chet Atkins was the greatest guitar player ever! He wasn't a rock player, but he could play any style. Never seen a player with that range!!

Taro, I totally agree. Jimmy became "SLOPPY" if u want to call it that because of one thing only. THE DRUGS. People may disagree but to me that is the reason. He was well known in the early session days as a player who could play virtually any style and do it well. No rock group in the 1970's would be expected to play exactlyas on their records. Just the physical and mental stress of constant touring coupled with the heavy drug use takes it toll. Having lived my early years during the late sixties and seventies I can tell u that it was a wild ride. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH!!!!!

From 1968 to and including 1975 he wasn't sloppy.

I think you haven't heard a lot of bootlegs from 1972-1975. On the 1972 Japan Tour he started getting sloopier. In Europe 1973, he reached his peak. After this Tour, his playing was very inconsistent. One night he played like from another planet, the other night he played like a beginner. Southampton 1973 is one of the best sounding bootlegs out there, but Jimmy and Robert aren't on top this night. That's a real shame!

Yeah, he hurt his finger in May 1973, just before the Forum show and in early 1975.

Archived