Rival Sons

McSeven

Well folks here comes the next coming of Led Zeppelin. Rival Sons. My buddy turned me on to them today. What do you all think?

Just got to You tube and type Rival Sons and go to the Pressure and Time song. Its very Zeppelinesque.

• 1 year later...

I disagree 100% - they sound like the rock n roll part of Zeppelin but they don't have the blues, acoustic, folk, or middle eastern parts of Zeppelin. The light and shade, the tight but loose parts - if you want music that has the same journey of Zeppelin go seek out The Tea Party, trust me on this

I disagree 100% - they sound like the rock n roll part of Zeppelin but they don't have the blues, acoustic, folk, or middle eastern parts of Zeppelin. The light and shade, the tight but loose parts - if you want music that has the same journey of Zeppelin go seek out The Tea Party, trust me on this

He's right, and I did. To be honest, I'm kind of over talking about Rival Sons (although I think they are very talented musicians) but have you heard all their stuff to make the assertion that they don't have the blues, folk, acoustic, middle eastern influence? I have to admit I haven't heard all their material but I've heard enough to know they do have some of those elements, too.

This is a folk acoustic song which I think you'll agree has more than a slight whiff of Going to California about it...

This is blues in the Since I've Been Loving tradition

This reminds me of No Quarter in the guitar tone with an Unledded vibe, perhaps.

The thing with Zep is that while much has been written of their "lifting" from other artists, what they did take they sculpted into their own sound - which was unique to them. They were never generic whereas Rival Sons have the chops but they don't really have their own unique sound; others may argue differently (it seems Rival Sons have their own die-hard defenders on here atm) and maybe that is more to do with the amount of music that has come before.

1) Nice necroing pagesbow. On most forums, its not allowed (po post in threads that have been inactive for a long time). I guess moderators should give u some warning.

2) We all know you dont like Rival Sons. Some other fellas here do like it. Where is your problem?

3) You gave 3 examples where you thing Rival Sons ripped off Zeppelin. I have heard all these songs many times before and I never thought of a connection to Zeppelin nor to some particular songs. Yes, of course, now when you say it, they are both slow songs, or both blues songs... If you want to hear sopme connections between those particular songs u mentioned, ok, so be it, you will hear whatever you will want. But is it how these songs evolved? That Rival Sons thought... lets take Going to California and make Sacret Tongue? I have to laught at that. They just made a song. And thats it. Soul is a blues song. You could then say that all blues songs are rips off of a SIBLY??? :))))). Laughtable.

4) I did not write this all to defend Rival Sons, but to laught at YOU for trying so hard to show us how BAD Rival Sons are. If you dont mind, its OUR choice what we like and what we dont. You dont like them, ok, good for me. I do like them, deal with it.

Cheers.

EDIT: I just noticed you managed to necro 5 topics about Rival Sons. Your obsession is pathetic. I reported your posts to moderators.

Rival Sons has the Zep vocabulary and formula down, but even though they are not bad, they do not do what Zep did. It also shows up what incredible songwriters Robert and Jimmy were. Jimmy back in the 80's talked about looking for someone to pick up the mantle and further/carry on the legacy of what he began. Rival Sons is just a bit too literal to fill that bill and sustain my interest. I do tend to like those that carry on the feel of the era.

I think that the Black Crowes are probably the most successful at copping from the 70's Faces/Stones/Zep with their own signature and identity.

1) Nice necroing pagesbow. On most forums, its not allowed (po post in threads that have been inactive for a long time). I guess moderators should give u some warning.

2) We all know you dont like Rival Sons. Some other fellas here do like it. Where is your problem?

3) You gave 3 examples where you thing Rival Sons ripped off Zeppelin. I have heard all these songs many times before and I never thought of a connection to Zeppelin nor to some particular songs. Yes, of course, now when you say it, they are both slow songs, or both blues songs... If you want to hear sopme connections between those particular songs u mentioned, ok, so be it, you will hear whatever you will want. But is it how these songs evolved? That Rival Sons thought... lets take Going to California and make Sacret Tongue? I have to laught at that. They just made a song. And thats it. Soul is a blues song. You could then say that all blues songs are rips off of a SIBLY??? :))))). Laughtable.

4) I did not write this all to defend Rival Sons, but to laught at YOU for trying so hard to show us how BAD Rival Sons are. If you dont mind, its OUR choice what we like and what we dont. You dont like them, ok, good for me. I do like them, deal with it.

Cheers.

OK, I'm bored enough to spend 20 minutes of my life replying to this because the internet is serious business....

1. Who are you, the forum gestapo? :ph34r: I wouldn't concern yourself about what I'm doing (or not doing) or what threads I'm "necroing" (nice use of the lingo by the way, I had to look that up) It is "allowed" to post in inactive threads so why should the mods give me a warning? You obviously don't get sarcasm or my sense of humour as I was only making a joke in regard to the fact there are so many Rival Sons threads talking about the same bloomin' thing. (maybe the mods should warn those who can't use the search function, how about that?)

2. Dude, you are trippin' and I challenge you to back up your baseless assertion: go and find the posts where I say I don't like them. For example: the post above yours, I say they are "talented musicians" and I'm rebutting a claim that they have no blues, folk or eastern influences. I'm just bored of these threads and the Zep comparisons even though I have made some, myself. I think we should all (me included) let it go because Rival Sons are a band of great players in their own right, and they have some really good songs (I have recommended them to people) I was even downloading some of their stuff earlier today - but I guess if you say I don't like them - then it must be true.

3. "You gave 3 examples where you thing Rival Sons ripped off Zeppelin." the examples were NOT given in that context nor was that the implication. You are wrong again in your interpreation, sir. They were to rebutt the claim of that they didn't have a blues, folk or eastern influnence. I didn't say they sat down and said "let's rip off Going to California!" I said it sounds like that song in places - which it does - demonstrably. Soul and SIBLY comparison: if you can't hear that the basic structure is the same then there is no talking to you - the rhythm section on Soul in particular is pure Bonham/JPJ swing feel.

4. You can laugh it up all day my friend, makes no difference to my life and you are laughing at something you percieve to be that isn't there. I wouldn't mind if you had cause to get all emotional and throw a tantrum at me as there are plenty of people who did say Rival Sons sucked that you could attack. And again, I challenge to find any posts where I did. Good luck with that, and I demand a written apology signed in the blood of a young necroing virgin, scarificed at dawn.

Just to get you started (you can feel the hate I feel for them in this post)

Pagesbow
Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Zep Head

• photo-19994.gif?_r=1374573177
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 541 posts

Disco Duck, on 18 Jul 2013 - 18:45, said:snapback.png

One would think that Jimmy Page has been around long enough to be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. Different strokes for different folks perhaps.

This is true. Clearly Rival Sons are not reinventing the wheel or likely to change the world, but if you listen to them play live, they are obviously talented musicians with a big Zeppelin flavour (especially the drummer) so you can see why Jimmy approves and you would think most Zep fans would at least appreciate some of their stuff on a certain level, too.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/20458-jimmys-new-favorite-band-rival-sons/?p=708136

1) I am not a gestapo, but your "humour" was to spam a forum - there was NO other purpose. When I see such a violation of rules, I tell mods. Why not? There are some rules...

2) I dont really speak english that well, so I dont understand some words you are using (in above post, for example, assertion, rebutting/rebutt). If I missinterpereted something, then I am sorry and I appologise. What I got from a context was, that you dont like the band and you wanna show it off on the forum with sarcastically necroing all threads about them asking if they are like Led Zepplin... with no interest whatsoever to get an answer. Sorry, but that is lame, not funny.

3) Here, I may have missinterpreted your words indeed, ok, sorry. We all know that Zeps HAD influence on Rival Sons. No doubts about that, but when they compose, they compose their own songs anyway. Thats what I am pretty sure about :). It may work for someone, may not for someone else. Its how they feel the music and I like it.

Ok, so all in all.

1) I made some assumptions based on missinterpreting your words and I am sorry for being so offensive towards you in this case.

2) I still dont get it why on Earth would you post a nonsense into EVERY SINGLE RS thread on this forum. Spamming to get to some postcount? Spamming to prove some point? Spamming to have a good day (or even FUN???... thats sad man!!!)? I did get your sarcasm, I did NOT get your humour in it. I still think that reporting spam and necroed threads to mods is valid.

And since internet is indeed not a serious business, I would appreciate if we could just stuck to this and close this debate...

1) I am not a gestapo, but your "humour" was to spam a forum - there was NO other purpose. When I see such a violation of rules, I tell mods. Why not? There are some rules...

2) I dont really speak english that well, so I dont understand some words you are using (in above post, for example, assertion, rebutting/rebutt). If I missinterpereted something, then I am sorry and I appologise. What I got from a context was, that you dont like the band and you wanna show it off on the forum with sarcastically necroing all threads about them asking if they are like Led Zepplin... with no interest whatsoever to get an answer. Sorry, but that is lame, not funny.

3) Here, I may have missinterpreted your words indeed, ok, sorry. We all know that Zeps HAD influence on Rival Sons. No doubts about that, but when they compose, they compose their own songs anyway. Thats what I am pretty sure about :). It may work for someone, may not for someone else. Its how they feel the music and I like it.

Ok, so all in all.

1) I made some assumptions based on missinterpreting your words and I am sorry for being so offensive towards you in this case.

2) I still dont get it why on Earth would you post a nonsense into EVERY SINGLE RS thread on this forum. Spamming to get to some postcount? Spamming to prove some point? Spamming to have a good day (or even FUN???... thats sad man!!!)? I did get your sarcasm, I did NOT get your humour in it. I still think that reporting spam and necroed threads to mods is valid.

And since internet is indeed not a serious business, I would appreciate if we could just stuck to this and close this debate...

At least when I'm banned, I'll know who to thank :lol: I guess it's just your interpretation that I'm spamming (for whatever reason) it was more just to prove a point that people can't use the search function (if they could there wouldn't be five Rival Sons threads for me to "spam") and that people are just arguing about the same damn thing in every single on of them. But I guess we await the final ruling from the mods for my indescretions.

Anyway, no offense taken on my part. No big deal - it's just a forum.

Debate closed.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I`ve been surfing the net looking for the Rival Sons debut album Before the Fire. Which on ebay/amazon is £49.99 +p+p!!. OOOOOOOH to much for me .

So I found the bands website & there it was at £10 & free p+p... I`ve gotten it on order yes. I`ve listen to it on youtube but I`d personnel choice is to own it.

cool bluey/rock band

I`ve been surfing the net looking for the Rival Sons debut album Before the Fire. Which on ebay/amazon is £49.99 +p+p!!. OOOOOOOH to much for me .

So I found the bands website & there it was at £10 & free p+p... I`ve gotten it on order yes. I`ve listen to it on youtube but I`d personnel choice is to own it.

cool bluey/rock band

one needs to find something to BELIVE IN. . . .

• 1 month later...

The latest issue of (Aug/Summer No 199) Classic Rock has a ten track "Rival Sons" cover mounted CD entitled "Rock"N"Roll Excerpts Vol 1).

Worth a listen but wholly unoriginal totally derivative music, sound like a hundred or so other bands of the rock genre.

I definitely don't get why some are making comparisons to LZ, it just is not there at all in any way shape or form.....Rating 7/10.

Hate to be non PC, but the singer Jay Buchanan and guitarist Scott Holiday have to be the campest looking pair of fuckers since the Mael Brothers in whatever band they where in, their name escapes me at the moment.

what do you think of the new album... have you been to see them live, is there a band you have seen live you where seriously exodus of fabulous music took you to another higher place while

the band are still playing the show, come out absolutely shattered.... :peace:

Archived