Paranormal/Ghosts....do you believe?

The_Minxter

Absolutely totally believe. I've had several experiences.

The first one I will share is this: during my 2nd year at university, I lived in a shared house with 3 friends. The very first morning after we moved in, we found all the dining room chairs stacked on top of the table. Things were always going missing, only to reappear in ridiculous places a few days later. This went on for months. Of course, none of us was ever quite sure that one of the others wasn't doing this stuff for a prank, but everyone denied it.

Then one night, I was ill so I stayed home when everyone else went to the pub. I made myself a snack and went to watch TV. When I went back in the kitchen a little later to get a drink, I found three coins on the work surface, all standing on their edges.

We never heard any noises or saw any apparitions, just weird stuff like that. But I had to move out in the end, because when I got a new gf and told her about all the weirdness, she refused to stay overnight anymore.

This sounds like something straight from the movie Poltergeist. I do not know what to think. I would not rule it out. But if you believe it happens, then somehow certain deceased individuals have the power to interfere with the living? And some obviously do not. I have some friends that have passed away that certainly would have taken the opportunitty to scare me out of my skin if they could. So it must be isolated events. Maybe there is just something about England. I have always heard much of hauntings there and in the New England area in the US. I would need to see it to believe I suppose. But do I really want to? Hell no.

^ The thing is, I really wasn't that scared when 'They' did the coin trick. If anything, I was more relieved, to find out that none of my asshole housemates was pulling these stunts - because the experiences had caused quite a lot of friction between us, as you can imagine.

As for whether there are more hauntings in England than the US, that might be down to the fact that we've been around a lot longer than you? From what I've heard though, you do seem to have quite a bit of bother with native Indian spirits. Understandably.

I'm trying to decide which experience I should relate next. A couple of them are pretty scary, maybe I'll save them for later.

Do share them some late evening. I am very interested. Do you believe there is a way to contact someone from beyond?

If you're thinking about Ouiji boards, wouldn't muck around with them

That's why I believe in the supernatural even though I've never experienced a ghost or poltergeist myself. The Ouiji board is not something to mess with, not at all.

Ok, here's another of my experiences.

I was on honeymoon with my 1st ex-wife, on the Algarve. We'd rented an oldish villa in a fairly isolated location up in the hills - just a couple of miles inland from Praia da Luz, where the McCann child later went missing. Anyway, it was a nice villa, although I did notice that it occasionally seemed to feel unusually cold in the evenings, despite it still being very hot outside. And I had noticed some strange noises when we were in bed at night, but ignored them as I assumed it was the building contracting after the heat of the day.

One night, about halfway into our stay, I woke in the middle of the night and went to get a drink of water. As I returned to the bedroom, I was astonished to see, sitting on a chair at the side of the bed, an elderly man, dressed in traditional Portuguese clothing, looking intently at my sleeping wife. So I started to say 'What the...', and as soon as I spoke, he turned his face towards me, and then faded away over a couple of seconds or so.

Obviously I was quite shaken, but I didn't feel threatened at all - unlike other experiences, which I'll come to later. After standing there open-mouthed for a minute or so, I went back to the kitchen and poured myself a brandy, and went back to the bedroom to see if he'd reappear, but he didn't. So in the end, I went back to bed, and that was that - I didn't see him again, and I didn't even tell my wife about it because I knew she would have become hysterical and would've wanted to change villas, or go home early. I waited until we were driving to the airport before I told her. Of course, she didn't believe me, lol.

When we got home, I mentioned this to one of the managers at the travel company, who I knew quite well through work connections. He chuckled, and said that several previous customers had described exactly the same thing.

Well did they have an idea of any old man that fit that description that had lived or died there? They always say spirits stay in a place because they are "trapped". Not willing to accept their fate perhaps? I must say I am skeptical. How much brandy did you have before bed? Ha.

I believe too and I seem to remember relating my story when this thread was in it's infancy. I have to be careful tonight as it seems I'm doing a bit too much in the way of posting but, since I related my story I have recently talked to the lady who saw what I saw and she's still sticking with the story. Weird or what ;) .

I myself have had a few happenings and sightings, most noticbly about 5 years ago in York, being woken up by something tucking me into bed...and I was on my own

Anybody here with their own stories or theories?

I'd say that varing forms of Sleep Paralysis account for alot of situations, from the sound of it they can appear very real indeed. More vague feelings are I'd guess a byproduct of human evolution, generations of looking out for a big cat, bear, wolf etc in the dark make us naturally jittery in certain situations IMHO.

If anything "Paranormal" is taking places my feeling is that its more likely to be the byproduct of some yet undiscovered physic ability in living humans rather than some form of consciousness surviving death.

I'd say that varing forms of Sleep Paralysis account for alot of situations, from the sound of it they can appear very real indeed. More vague feelings are I'd guess a byproduct of human evolution, generations of looking out for a big cat, bear, wolf etc in the dark make us naturally jittery in certain situations IMHO.

If anything "Paranormal" is taking places my feeling is that its more likely to be the byproduct of some yet undiscovered physic ability in living humans rather than some form of consciousness surviving death.

I don't think it was sleep paralysis to be honest during my encounter in York. I was staying in a b&b, the property was late victorian/ early edwardian and the room I was staying in, you could only open it from the inside. Well anyway what happened was I took part in a ghost walk earlier that evening and headed back to the b&b, got into bed, the door was locked from inside and the windows were closed (it was the middle of winter) and fell alseep with me lying on my left side. I woke up from my sleep some hours later with the feeling of a pair of hands tucking the blankets underneath me.

Now I am a light sleeper and usually have difficulty settling in, esp on holiday, so this sensation or whatever it was woke me up...but when I woke, the 'tucking me into bed' feeling kept going and also heard a growling sound right into my right ear (remember I was lying on my left)

The sound I can only think sounded like a animal, like a dog. And lets just say I was too afraid to look over my shoulder but 5 years on, I still can't explain it all.

I have taken dozens of photos over the years with something "unexplainable" stuff on them ,orbs etc.... but nothing physical like this.

I don't think it was sleep paralysis to be honest during my encounter in York. I was staying in a b&b, the property was late victorian/ early edwardian and the room I was staying in, you could only open it from the inside. Well anyway what happened was I took part in a ghost walk earlier that evening and headed back to the b&b, got into bed, the door was locked from inside and the windows were closed (it was the middle of winter) and fell alseep with me lying on my left side. I woke up from my sleep some hours later with the feeling of a pair of hands tucking the blankets underneath me.

Now I am a light sleeper and usually have difficulty settling in, esp on holiday, so this sensation or whatever it was woke me up...but when I woke, the 'tucking me into bed' feeling kept going and also heard a growling sound right into my right ear (remember I was lying on my left)

The sound I can only think sounded like a animal, like a dog. And lets just say I was too afraid to look over my shoulder but 5 years on, I still can't explain it all.

I have taken dozens of photos over the years with something "unexplainable" stuff on them ,orbs etc.... but nothing physical like this.

This sounds exactly like sleep paralysis to me.

My daughter who is quite a smart and succesfull girl is afraid of them. So there must be something to them? I have never used one.

I myself have never used them, my mother once had a bad experience with one while she was in high school. I would never mess around with something that I don't understand.

I rememeber reading a artical a while ago that some game manufacture has poised it as a toy.

Definitely.

I go to Kent State, the famous campus where May 4th happened. Turns out the parking lot the 4 were shot at and killed was the parking lot of my freshman dorm. I had a class at 7:45am, so one morning I was in the bathroom and repeatedly heard a shower curtain moving back and forth. Knowing nobody on my floor was up that early, and it being winter so the windows were not open, I decided to have a look and the far end shower curtain was just moving back and forth. It abruptly stopped when I approached it. This happened a few other times. Another instance was my roommate and I kept hearing a strange tapping noise on our window, Which would only occur between 10:30-11:00pm at night. One night I just said out loud "can you please knock it off?", and the tapping just mysteriously stopped. It never happened after I said that either.

They probably get a kick out of pulling pranks on people!

I remember another experience, this was about 8 years ago I was in Whitby Abbey (which is in ruins) taking photos.

I came across what I can only describe as some sort of a room with a metal gate covering the entrance, I took a photo of it as it looked quite old and interesting but thought nothing of it.

It was only till I got home and got the photos developed and coming across that photo with the gate, I noticed there was a figure in the background, looking at it closely it looked like a monk! You could clearly make out a cowl, its facial features and even the shaven crown of his head, but from the waist down the rest of it just blends into the stonework. I know for sure that there were no pictures or posters in that room and that the whole building is opened to all the elements. There certainly were NO actors/reacments that day.

I think I tried to send it into Ghoststudy and my only regret was losing the photo

Even when "it" wakes you from a sleep and you come fully concious of what is there and your surroundings??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sleep Paralysis is basically when you semi wake up and are aware of your surroundings but unable to move while the brain is in REM sleep so those surroundings are altered in a dreamlike fashion. By far the most common feeling seems to me of an evil "presense" that often feels like its holding people down or sitting on their chest.

Archived