Led Zeppelin Official Bootlegs - could this work

Lol, he comes across as an asshole.

Frankly, if they have material dating from 1968 all the way through to 1980...that's actually more than I thought. That being said...he clearly mistook the RAH 1970 show for a non-existant show in 1968, lmfao, so he might not actually be the best person to ask...

From what Kevin Shirly says it looks like alot of the sound board tapes have been baked to preserve them, which could be great for possible future releases. I do remember reading an interview with Page and he said he had lots of soundboard recordings dateing back to 1969. Also one must assume because there has been very little board tapes surfacing from 1971 and 1972 and other years also, that Page must have a decent amount of them in his archives. If they will ever get released....only time will tell. Northstar.

From what Kevin Shirly says it looks like alot of the sound board tapes have been baked to preserve them, which could be great for possible future releases. I do remember reading an interview with Page and he said he had lots of soundboard recordings dateing back to 1969. Also one must assume because there has been very little board tapes surfacing from 1971 and 1972 and other years also, that Page must have a decent amount of them in his archives. If they will ever get released....only time will tell. Northstar.

It seems that he was talking more of the tapes he would have been dealing with - multitracks and film, both of which were processed and mastered. Still, you do have a point with the scarcity of certain years' soundboards. We'll see...

Lol, he comes across as an asshole.

Frankly, if they have material dating from 1968 all the way through to 1980...that's actually more than I thought. That being said...he clearly mistook the RAH 1970 show for a non-existant show in 1968, lmfao, so he might not actually be the best person to ask...

The best person to ask is definitely Jimmy Page but there is a serious paucity of his interviews.

I made a thread about this months ago and don't think it will happen. Some people around him have a vested interest in keeping stuff away from the public.

About what's in JPs archives:

As anyone here knows stuff was stolen from him so he'd have to get it back. Most of the legendary shows were not multitracked.

That leaves degraded soundboards (which could be easily restored to official quality - even tapes that are severely damaged can be repaired as long as they are retained). However, as we know they will be cut due to tape flips, unless more than 1 copy was made from the board for each show. Allegedly, all shows Showco recorded were done on cassettes (C90s I assume). If I'm wrong about pre 1977 shows being taped on cassettes please tell me.

Now, while I assume that every minute recorded by the board still exists in some form (1st gen, 2nd gen, whatever) Jimmy and Warner Group are going to have to buy it all back, and I'm not sure they want to that.

As far as the cost of transferring them to digital, I'd do it all for free, with a guard watching me at all times.

I made a thread about this months ago and don't think it will happen. Some people around him have a vested interest in keeping stuff away from the public.

About what's in JPs archives:

As anyone here knows stuff was stolen from him so he'd have to get it back. Most of the legendary shows were not multitracked.

That leaves degraded soundboards (which could be easily restored to official quality - even tapes that are severely damaged can be repaired as long as they are retained). However, as we know they will be cut due to tape flips, unless more than 1 copy was made from the board for each show. Allegedly, all shows Showco recorded were done on cassettes (C90s I assume). If I'm wrong about pre 1977 shows being taped on cassettes please tell me.

Now, while I assume that every minute recorded by the board still exists in some form (1st gen, 2nd gen, whatever) Jimmy and Warner Group are going to have to buy it all back, and I'm not sure they want to that.

As far as the cost of transferring them to digital, I'd do it all for free, with a guard watching me at all times.

Even though his stuff really was stolen, there still is a plethora of tapes in Jimmy's vault.

Even though his stuff really was stolen, there still is a plethora of tapes in Jimmy's vault.

...You really think so? They probably have some live stuff - there's a real scarcity of soundboards dating from 1970-1972, and none at all from 1968 - including the shows that were multitracked and filmed, but I'd bet they probably have studio tapes that would be much more interesting.

On the bootlegs, we have: Some stuff from the LZI-LZII period; the LZIII demos and some alternate mixes; some demos and alternate mixes from IV; one verifiably alternate mix from HOTH, while the rest seem dubious; some demos and alternate mixes from PG; not very much at all from Pr.; and then some demos, drum tracks, and alternate mixes dating from the ITTOD-Coda period.

...You really think so? They probably have some live stuff - there's a real scarcity of soundboards dating from 1970-1972, and none at all from 1968 - including the shows that were multitracked and filmed, but I'd bet they probably have studio tapes that would be much more interesting.

I have to disagree.

I have to disagree.

Fair enough. But I do think you should consider all the things we don't have: Alternate takes/mixes (if they still exist) from all of the albums, essentially; more demos...I'd love to hear (if any of it was recorded) the rehearsals the band were doing in 1979-1980, or the actual (if it exists [- there's a lot of that here...]) 1969 "We're Gonna' Groove" outtake...

Not to say I don't love the live shows...they're a huge part of my life. I'm just assuming they don't have as many of them as we would like to think.

I don't think Jimmy buys bootlegs in Japan. They just give him copies of any new LZ bootleg releases put out.

I can't see that being the case. If he was in contact with the people behind the labels, they'd be shut down - unless you just mean individual shop-owners/bootleg sellers, in which case, that's kind of funny.

Not to say I don't love the live shows...they're a huge part of my life. I'm just assuming they don't have as many of them as we would like to think.

I'd say Jimmy has at least 5 multitracked shows in his vault, not including the released ones.

I'd say Jimmy has at least 5 multitracked shows in his vault, not including the released ones.

That's not very much. Which five shows? I can name the following:

·09/01/1970 - Royal Albert Hall (London, England)

·25/06/1972 - The Forum (L.A., California, U.S.A.)

·27/06/1972 - Long Beach Arena (Long Beach, California, U.S.A.)

·27-29/07/1973 - Madison Square Garden (N.Y., N.Y., U.S.A.)

·17-18/05/1975 and 23-25/05/1975 - Earls Court Arena (London, England)

·04/08/1979 and 11/08/1979 - Knebworth (Hertfordshire, England)

Nearly all of which were represented on DVD and How the West Was Won. If you mean the 1977 shows, was Jimmy able to find the multitracks for those? I've always read that he wasn't able to...otherwise, I can't remember what other shows were supposed to have been multitracked - Japan 1971 or 1972 (or both?).

I recall reading a Page interview back in the early 1990's, when the interviewer asked him if he was planning on releasing anymore Zep material, and he said that he wanted to release a live concert but Plant was against (dont remember if he gave a reason why Plant was against any release) the release of any live Zep Material. However, since How The West Was Won eventually was released if this was true then Plant must have come around.

My point being maybe it is not totally Page's decision to release anymore Zep material, there just might be other people involved in making a decision for any future Zeppelin releases. Northstar.

I recall reading a Page interview back in the early 1990's, when the interviewer asked him if he was planning on releasing anymore Zep material, and he said that he wanted to release a live concert but Plant was against (dont remember if he gave a reason why Plant was against any release) the release of any live Zep Material. However, since How The West Was Won eventually was released if this was true then Plant must have come around.

My point being maybe it is not totally Page's decision to release anymore Zep material, there just might be other people involved in making a decision for any future Zeppelin releases. Northstar.

It certainly isn't simply based on his input. DVD and How the West Was Won were released with full cooperation from Plant and Jones, and I assume Bonham's family. That being said...a lot of what I've heard lately (including Shirley in that video) has made it seem like the guys themselves were much less involved in the project than one would think. And the (rumoured) shelving of the O2 concert might not bode well for anything else in the near future.

On the bootlegs, we have: Some stuff from the LZI-LZII period; the LZIII demos and some alternate mixes; some demos and alternate mixes from IV; one verifiably alternate mix from HOTH, while the rest seem dubious; some demos and alternate mixes from PG; not very much at all from Pr.; and then some demos, drum tracks, and alternate mixes dating from the ITTOD-Coda period.

We have outtakes from I, multitracks from II, outtakes and a vocal multitrack from III, a few rehearsals, alternate mixes, and songs from IV, A few demos and rehearsals from HOTH (what alternate mix?), Lots of demos, rehearsals, and alternate mixes from PG, We have barely minute long rehearsal samples from Presence, and a few demos, drum multitracks, and alternate mixes from ITTOD.

Also inbetween these lines there are the recordings of Jennings Farm Blues.

We have outtakes from I, multitracks from II, outtakes and a vocal multitrack from III, a few rehearsals, alternate mixes, and songs from IV, A few demos and rehearsals from HOTH (what alternate mix?), Lots of demos, rehearsals, and alternate mixes from PG, We have barely minute long rehearsal samples from Presence, and a few demos, drum multitracks, and alternate mixes from ITTOD.

Also inbetween these lines there are the recordings of Jennings Farm Blues.

Also the two studio solos of Stairway.

I do remember shortly after the release Of Coda John Paul Jones said in an interview that there cant be much left because we used everything.....maybe thats why a live version of I Can't Quit You was included on Coda instead of an unreleased song. Just a thought. Northstar.

Well, after that interview, BBC Sessions, HTWWW, and Led Zep DVD were released so I'm going with an assumption tEhat JPJ didn't know what he was talking about.

He was talking about studio material, not live.

As for assumptions, why stop now?

Archived