Led Zeppelin Official Bootlegs - could this work

Check out what the Rolling Stones have started doing. Releasing official bootlegs of old shows for $7. Only two available so far, but both brilliant!

www.stonesarchive.com

I think this would be a great idea for Zeppelin. Remaster them and sell them as a download only album.

What do you think? I know we have a buncha bootlegs already, but it would be great to own these shows in album format and offical so we have some new Zep releases (as oppose to a EP package)

I wouldn't be so keen on buying downloads, I prefer the physical product but if this was even a remote possibility I believe Page would have already done it years ago. The Grateful Dead, Phish, Pearl Jam, the Allman Brothers Band and others have been doing this sort of thing for years.

Yeah, I don't download or use an iPod so I would want a physical release, too...either cd or vinyl. But if the band was amenable to this idea, I would think they would have started doing this years ago. Nowadays, who knows what shape the tapes are in...but if they did decide to do something like what Phish and the Grateful Dead have done, I would buy every release!

I'd say offer them up, show by show, on the internet in full quality wave/flac format. That way he/they could release as many as they wish. Otherwise they are just going to pick and choose shows, and spend money on cd cases, discs, vinyl. It would be better business sense, in my opinion, to just put them online. I think we would have the opportunity to get more this way.

They could release the absolute best quality ones on cd/vinyl. I'd buy a few. Definitely the best way to kill the bootleggers.

I think something like this would be a win win for everyone, the band and the fans. By just looking at the massive amout of Zep bootlegs that have already been released there is most definetly a large market for a product such as this. If it ever does happen just dont make it all downloads, make discs for sale as well please. Northstar.

It would be great for the fans (Deep Purple did it too, only their officialized bootlegs were indeed real tangible records) but i guess it would be a menace for the perfectionist mind of Jimmy.

It would also be a massive task for him, sitting there remastering all the bootlegs, it would be rewarding though. He did release HTWWW and in that case he must feel like that is the definitive soundboard because we did have the forum shows before he released it in 2003, so it is evident it isn't a problem if a soundboard/audience/matrix was already released by an independent bootlegger.

I'd rather the money go to the band, not bootleggers who's only purpose is to profit off of Led Zeppelin.

Quick question: Why is it wrong for me to buy bootlegs when Jimmy has been known to buy them in Japan?

I would buy official bootlegs. But can you imagine how long it would take for him to sort through, remaster and release them? This is Jimmy I am talking about... :blink:

This is very exciting. I like having the interviews as well.

I want to mention from what I can tell of the Stones releases they left the between song banter in, which I like.

I think a big part of this is quality recordings though.

This would definitely work for zeppelin, but only if there are quality recordings otherwise I do not see them releasing anything. But we know there are professionally recorded concerts that have not been released so for these I say could definitely be done.

I could also see Plant releasing some of his post-zeppelin archive of live recordings. I could almost see Plant favoring releasing his post zeppelin live recordings more so than the zeppelin archive.

From what I could tell the Stones to release this were both professional recorded. Hampton Roads was a pay-per-view event and the description for Brussels says "The album is pulled from the two gigs that took place at the Forest National arena in Brussels, and was originally recorded by Andy Johns on the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio." So, I'm wondering where the stones actually going to release soundboard/audience/matrix recordings?

Others have mentioned the Grateful Dead as an example of what can be done (the Dead do have an incredible live archive), but I find it difficult to listen to the '70s Dick's Picks because of the lesser sound quality and I personally don't see Jimmy page releasing anything that is not top-notch quality.

Quick question: Why is it wrong for me to buy bootlegs when Jimmy has been known to buy them in Japan?

Wasn't Peter Grant also well known for entering record stores and clearing them of all of the Zeppelin bootlegs they had for sale? I'm not sure what Page's official stance is on bootlegs but it's pretty obvious that the profit from the sale of bootlegs doesn't go back to the band. That's not just true of Zeppelin but of any band or artist who are heavily bootlegged.

I agree, sound quality would matter a great deal to me. The Black Crowes have also been releasing live gigs throughout their history for a couple of years now and some of them are so rough in quality it makes for a difficult listen. The Crowes do offer album art for CD burning though as does a couple other music websites, a couple of which offer the original liner notes in PDF format.

With that said, Page ought to consider releasing professionally recorded shows for download, hell I'd buy them. Rough soundboard or (gasp) audience recordings though? No thanks.

Wasn't Peter Grant also well known for entering record stores and clearing them of all of the Zeppelin bootlegs they had for sale? I'm not sure what Page's official stance is on bootlegs but it's pretty obvious that the profit from the sale of bootlegs doesn't go back to the band. That's not just true of Zeppelin but of any band or artist who are heavily bootlegged.

There's a BIG difference between what Peter Grant did and what Jimmy does when he's in Japan. You're usually more knowledgeable than this...unless you're being deliberately obtuse.

There's a BIG difference between what Peter Grant did and what Jimmy does when he's in Japan. You're usually more knowledgeable than this...unless you're being deliberately obtuse.

I don't think Page buying bootlegs for his own use is a sign of approval for fans to do the same. Then again, I don't recall ever reading his official take on the matter. What I do know is that profits from sales of bootlegs go to the bootleggers, not the artists they're ripping off. To answer the question, that's what's wrong with the sale of bootleg recordings.

Several European bootleg labels used to print disclaimers about holding "royalties for the respective band or artist" on the back of their packaging. I always took that to mean that if they got sued they'd pay the artist. I may be wrong though.

You'll never stop bootlegging, you can only counter it with legitimate releases.

I picked up a copy of Live Dreams but it has some kind of alternate binding. The two cd's in the back are for store play only or promotion. The cover does not have an image on it. There is no bar code or anything. I also bought one that is in a checkerboard box still in wrapper? Any thoughts?post-19944-0-82007800-1329939654.jpgpost-19944-0-21112500-1329939656.jpgpost-19944-0-27601600-1329939658.jpg

I don't think Page buying bootlegs for his own use is a sign of approval for fans to do the same. Then again, I don't recall ever reading his official take on the matter. What I do know is that profits from sales of bootlegs go to the bootleggers, not the artists they're ripping off. To answer the question, that's what's wrong with the sale of bootleg recordings.

It's only ripping the artist off if they intended to release the show to begin with. And even then, I don't buy the record industry's cry of woe regarding lost sales to bootleggers.

For one thing, I doubt that sales of a bootleg make it past 1,000 or so. Compared to the millions sold of How the West Was Won, that's a drop in the bucket. I myself already had three different bootlegs of the 6-25-72 show when HTWWW came out, but I still lined up for the midnight release of the DVD and HTWWW.

And I wager everyone else who had a bootleg of the 6-25-72 show also bought the HTWWW release.

To be clear, I am not talking about pirate copies of the official albums and I don't approve of the people who stole soundboards and studio tapes from Jimmy.

But a guy taping a show at the Forum is not taking money out of Zeppelin's pocket; you're swallowing the music industry's kool-aid if you believe that. For one thing, it's the mystique of the bootlegs that's partly the reason the legend of Led Zeppelin hasn't faded.

This isn't like being a fan of the Beatles, Stones or Dylan, where you have 50 albums and umpteen official live albums to slate your thirst.

With Led Zeppelin you only have 9 studio and 3 live collections...that's it. Oh, and a couple DVDs.

And I have bought EVERY single one of those releases several times over in many different formats. So you'll forgive me if I don't feel guilty buying a copy of "For Badgeholders Only" for my nephew...a show the band has no intention of releasing as they neglected to multitrack it.

People like Mike Millard didn't rip the band off...he did more to ensure the Led Zeppelin legacy than Dave Lewis and Stephen Davis and all the other writers combined. For it's one thing to merely read about how good Zeppelin is in concert, but it really hits home when you can hear for yourself...complete with all the Plantations.

They should nominate Mike Millard for Sainthood.

They should nominate Mike Millard for Sainthood.

No truer words have been spoken! His taping of the LA shows is what really drew me into being a full Zephead! I started collecting shows in the late 80's and LTTE (6/21/77) is all I would listen to, even played parts of it on my radio show in college one night!

Put it where it's at, they used HIS recording on the official DVD - what an honour to him, from Jimmy - wish he could've been around to see it!

It's only ripping the artist off if they intended to release the show to begin with.

So, when someone sells a bootleg that wasn't intended for release and the bootlegger pockets the profits but not the band, that's not ripping them off? By the way, I'm not drinking any sort of Kool-Aid, industry or otherwise. I just think if someone is going to profit off an artists' work, it should be the artist themselves.

Archived