Rare Footage From Sydney 1972.

Comments from the uploader on YouTube

"Some clips from 27th February 1972 in Sydney, this is the same footage that was used in the Immigrant Song video but here it is in it's proper form.

Thanks to ssellers for this work. (Truly a labour of love!)

Includes rare daylight footage of Stairway to Heaven and Dazed and confused, with more.

Please do not post link to my videos at the official LZ.com forums, thank you."

Comments from the uploader on YouTube

"Some clips from 27th February 1972 in Sydney, this is the same footage that was used in the Immigrant Song video but here it is in it's proper form.

Thanks to ssellers for this work. (Truly a labour of love!)

Includes rare daylight footage of Stairway to Heaven and Dazed and confused, with more.

Please do not post link to my videos at the official LZ.com forums, thank you."

If you put something up in the public domain then it is open slather.

He's posted it on Facebook and who knows where else and if he didn't want anyone, especially Zeppelin "fans" to see it why put it up at all and what has he got against LZ.com forums anyway?

It's not as if ssellers "owns" it.

I did see the notes, btw.

'Down Under in Sydney 1972’ was synched by SSellers back in 2010 and must have taken an incredible amount of time, dedication and knowledge to put together.

I highlighted his name as a courtesy, to give credit for his work.

As for the “please don’t post a link” ........

I’ll just shake my head and walk away

I read somewhere that the footage was provided by a fan, I'm sure there is someone here who can confirm if in fact that is true.

The audio is from a bootleg and there are a few versions of that concert out there.

The content of both media rightfully belongs to Led Zeppelin.

I find it ludicrous that he claims it to be "his" video and regardless of the fact he obviously spent many hours syncing it together with the audio does not make it his property, period.

He did do a good job given what he had to work with.

I'm curious where that video was kept for 30 years before the IS appeared on the "official" DVD in 2003 and if in fact the whole concert was filmed?

II'm curious where that video was kept for 30 years before the IS appeared on the "official" DVD in 2003 and if in fact the whole concert was filmed?

I'm curious too Reg ! Would love to see all of the footage . Since you were at this show, you especially :) . If Jimmy's got it and doesn't want it out there then fair enough but if it's just in the hands of a hoarder..... mehhhh. I think it's safe to say , that person is a buisness person and not a fan. Certainly not a fan who experienced the band live <_<

As far as I know, the youtube uploader and ssellers are different people.

Details quoted by ssellers:-

The concert footage :

-8mm source 1 (16'20)

-8mm source 2 (2'58)

-8mm source 3 (3'10)

-16mm (6'32)

“This DVD presents the different video sources covering the Sydney concert on February 27th 1972.

The first 8mm source is the famous footage that was used for the clip "Immigrant Song" on the official 2003 DVD. It was shot with several cameras running at different speeds. Apparently, some of the footage was shot at 18 fps, some other at 24 fps, and everything was transferred to video with no frame rate conversion. As a result, the raw transfer runs way too fast. It's presented here speed corrected and synched to audience audio recordings.

The second and third 8mm films, are likely sourced from a high gen video tape, hence in poor quality. They have been synched when possible.

All 8mm films on this DVD use sound from the Sydney show, with a little help from audience recordings of the Auckland (February 25th) and Brisbane (February 29th) shows.

The 16mm concert film is the black and white footage partially shown on "DVD". It's presented here speed-corrected, in the right order, with the sync at the end of WLL fixed.

edit: these details are for Led Zeppelin - 'Down Under in Sydney 1972' - February 1972, Sydney, Australia, synched by ssellers

I'm curious too Reg ! Would love to see all of the footage . Since you were at this show, you especially :) . If Jimmy's got it and doesn't want it out there then fair enough but if it's just in the hands of a hoarder..... mehhhh. I think it's safe to say , that person is a buisness person and not a fan. Certainly not a fan who experienced the band live <_<

Unfortunately, I think we'll never know.

It does seem strange that the footage is in such good condition with reasonable audio, that the gig just may have been filmed in it's entirety and why it hasn't been released in some form (VHS or DVD) before is also a mystery.

Maybe Jimmy has it and doesn't feel it's worthy of releasing for whatever reason.

Somehow it doesn't make sense given he released the Albert Hall on the DVD.

If someone has got it they may not even be aware of what they actually have.

As far as I know, the youtube uploader and ssellers are different people.

The 16mm concert film is the black and white footage partially shown on "DVD". It's presented here speed-corrected, in the right order, with the sync at the end of WLL fixed.

Yes they are two different people.

The B & W footage was originally pro shot by the ABC for a '70's program called GTK and still appears occasionally on another ABC program called Rage on late night weekend TV.

It does seem strange that the footage is in such good condition with reasonable audio, that the gig just may have been filmed in it's entirety and why it hasn't been released in some form (VHS or DVD) before is also a mystery.

Maybe Jimmy has it and doesn't feel it's worthy of releasing for whatever reason.

You're probably right about never knowing but with the internet and access to knowledge that comes with it, I think the owner probably has a very good idea of what they have. Hey, I'm not looking at it as a crime, I'm just saying that I'm a starved old Zephead and think it's criminal that I have to wait for my porridge....know what I mean :lol:

• Administrators

I read somewhere that the footage was provided by a fan, I'm sure there is someone here who can confirm if in fact that is true.

The audio is from a bootleg and there are a few versions of that concert out there.

The content of both media rightfully belongs to Led Zeppelin.

I find it ludicrous that he claims it to be "his" video and regardless of the fact he obviously spent many hours syncing it together with the audio does not make it his property, period.

He did do a good job given what he had to work with.

I'm curious where that video was kept for 30 years before the IS appeared on the "official" DVD in 2003 and if in fact the whole concert was filmed?

This 8mm Australia footage is owned by a member of the band and one of the crew shot these clips for him during the show.

The Albert Hall Show was shot with several professional cameras, while the Sydney concert seems to have been shot with one amateur 8 mm film camera.

Well, I've been studying this concert for a while now and know that it was pretty well documented. This particular source one was shot by road manager Clive Coulson, who shot film clips on both precedent and subsequent occasions for the bands personal archive. There is photo/video evidence of three other roadies/friends and Peter Grant filming on 8mm equipment, I believe the rest all shot this for their own personal archive.

Well, the clip was synched with Aukland, Sydney, and Melbourne recordings, as the original film was silent. The whole gig was not filmed, and was just a gem to keep in a member of the band's archive. 3 other sources shot film, which circulate, two 8mm, in horrible color, and the well known Austrailia TV footage. As 342 said there were multiple roadies also shooting, and Peter Grant. This video doesn't have all of the film shot. An additional two minutes were shot of Whole Lotta Love. Sam, which band member exactly? Jimmy? A private DVD, which I have clips of on my channel, is a collection of footage shot by Clive, was released in silent form before it was synched.

• 1 month later...

Hi

First post here. I thought I would query the footage origins. I stood in front of the stage, just metres from the band, at the Adelaide concert at Memorial Drive in '72. I was 15 years old and distinctly recall the demi-god Jimmy sported a full growth of beard - he looked like Black Beard the pirate. This Sydney footage shows him clean shaven, yet the Sydney shows were only a few days before the Adelaide concert. I don't think he could have grown a beard that fast. Maybe the years have dulled my memory of the concert, which I regard as one of the most significant events of my early years.

Cheers

I liked the bearded stage they went through. It made a very boyish looking Page look more like a man. It also made Bonham look like a wild man when it got long. Like a wilderness wild man that lives in the hills and not a party wild man. I might grow a wild man beard.

Archived