Sky Watch

betteremily

brian-cox.jpg

I enjoy watching this guy, and most of the time I suspect he's smoking better stuff than I am.

I find the discussion of comets to be a wild-card as far as the knowledge of our own solar system. That they are responsible for Earth's water and possibly may have delivered foreign space microbes to Earth that caused plagues and disease to be very interesting stuff indeed.

I can rip on ancient religious beliefs any time of the day, but the concept of our entire Universe being contracted to fit on the head of a pin before the Big Bang occurred, is as far a mental stretch for me as any creation story in Genesis.

It also blows my mind that the whole Cassini project didn't get a lot more attention world-wide. That was an awesome effort.

brian-cox.jpg

I enjoy watching this guy, and most of the time I suspect he's smoking better stuff than I am.

I find the discussion of comets to be a wild-card as far as the knowledge of our own solar system. That they are responsible for Earth's water and possibly may have delivered foreign space microbes to Earth that caused plagues and disease to be very interesting stuff indeed.

I can rip on ancient religious beliefs any time of the day, but the concept of our entire Universe being contracted to fit on the head of a pin before the Big Bang occurred, is as far a mental stretch for me as any creation story in Genesis.

It also blows my mind that the whole Cassini project didn't get a lot more attention world-wide. That was an awesome effort.

bong man, we watch his docos all the time, they are great. we call him professor smiley, as he appears to be always smiling, lol.

we recently found out that he used to be in a rock band!

i have always thought the big bang theory was laughable, even in high school when the science teacher first told me about it! i mean .... come on! and now it seems the scientists are beginning to think it didn't happen that way ..... derr! lol

another amazing video .....

Nice video, but a bit quick. i wanted to see the Sun's true brightness a bit longer. I do not like the assumption of scientists that the big bang is a fact. It is a theory. They are too arrogant for my liking in their assumptions concerning the big bang and the end of the dinosaurs. Interesting to see those satellites, the man made ones that we so depend on every day for our now tecnnologically run world. God forbid a teenager in this day and age does not have a signal on their smart phone or I pad.

I am sure you know this, but if you dont, when you look at the stars in the sky you are in fact looking back in time. The light that reaches your eye was sent many years ago. They did not give any specs on the first radio signals sent, though some have said the earliest were from the early sixties. God help us if alien intelligent life were to recieve a signal from I Love Lucy. Man what would they think? I would rather they find the Beatles CD they sent out a couple or a few decades ago?

Nice video, but a bit quick. i wanted to see the Sun's true brightness a bit longer. I do not like the assumption of scientists that the big bang is a fact. It is a theory. They are too arrogant for my liking in their assumptions concerning the big bang and the end of the dinosaurs. Interesting to see those satellites, the man made ones that we so depend on every day for our now tecnnologically run world. God forbid a teenager in this day and age does not have a signal on their smart phone or I pad.

I am sure you know this, but if you dont, when you look at the stars in the sky you are in fact looking back in time. The light that reaches your eye was sent many years ago. They did not give any specs on the first radio signals sent, though some have said the earliest were from the early sixties. God help us if alien intelligent life were to recieve a signal from I Love Lucy. Man what would they think? I would rather they find the Beatles CD they sent out a couple or a few decades ago?

i just don't understand how they make these videos ... i know, C.G. and all that, but still.....

as i said previously, i don't believe in the big bang theory either.

yes, i knew about it being history that we are seeing. have you seen what they call the microwave picture?

maybe there is some zep out there floating around .... :)

i just don't understand how they make these videos ... i know, C.G. and all that, but still.....

as i said previously, i don't believe in the big bang theory either.

yes, i knew about it being history that we are seeing. have you seen what they call the microwave picture?

maybe there is some zep out there floating around .... :)

I am sure if they heard Dazed and Confused or Communication Breakdown first it would really frighten them. Or Whole Lotta Love. The part in the middle before the solo. I believe in the 80's they did send something out there with music with various types of music from Beethoven to the Beatles. Those were mentioned for sure. I would imagine Stairway would have been included? But I dont know. Much classical no doubt. And I have tremendous respect and like for alot of Classical. I think there are songs in every area of music I like something. I wonder how much of a budget SETA has now? How many people are involved in it? We are supposedly always listening and have large devices out there in the dessert somewhere pointed into space, like in the movie Contact with Jodie Foster. In that movie they had images of Hitler during a speech of his that were sent. I have heard that the first signals would have for some reason been from I Love Lucy. Why I do not know. Perhaps they had the strength of frequency to go beyond the Earth's atmosphere? if you know do post.

i'm not sure what the first radio signals would have been, but i guess it would be on the net somewhere. i have to go to work now, maybe i'll have a look later.

carl sagan designed a gold disk with images and audio from earth, even things like a baby crying ( not too sure about that one, bit silly imo ).

i think SETI is still going strong, but some have criticized as to why they send radio waves ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_extraterrestrial_intelligence

i'm not sure what the first radio signals would have been, but i guess it would be on the net somewhere. i have to go to work now, maybe i'll have a look later.

carl sagan designed a gold disk with images and audio from earth, even things like a baby crying ( not too sure about that one, bit silly imo ).

i think SETI is still going strong, but some have criticized as to why they send radio waves ....

http://en.wikipedia....al_intelligence

Thanks for correcting me on that abbreviation. Nice to chat with you Slave to Zep. Very difficult to find women so knowledgable on the subject of Astronomy

Me too, the last time I did a search the only thing that came up was the dust storm. Maybe they will wait for the 21st of December to make the announcement.

I was not aware it was so recent until I saw the announcement on a major TV news channel the other night and they said they would basically, in exact words I cannot recall, tell us soon. But they must want to be sure. So what the hell could it be? Microscopic fossils? Water? Water does not impress me. You know there has to be ice. It has to be microscopic remnants of life long ago, or fossils. No way can it be something left by intelligent life. That would be Earth shattering. Maybe its a fossil of an amoeba or protozoa and they are not sure? What else could it be to make us give a shit? Plant life remains would also be of interest. Any other guess's of what it could be? Signifigant enough to make us care?

Similar to the video above, except it goes back to 10 to the -16.

(you can start the video at 5:50 to get to the negative powers of 10}

Just imagine if Einstein, or Sir Isaac Newton or Capernacus or Galileo could have seen this. I want to go back and copy the one Slave to Zep posted showing the staggering size comparisons between Earth and the other planets in our Solar Sytem. You look at the blue Earth and realize, everyone we know of that ever lived or died, it all happened right there. Whether is be Lincoln, Kennedy, Cleopatra, Alexander the Great, Jesus himself, it all happened right there. The dinosaurs once roamed and we know so little of what is in the Center of the Earth.

Just imagine if Einstein, or Sir Isaac Newton or Capernacus or Galileo could have seen this. I want to go back and copy the one Slave to Zep posted showing the staggering size comparisons between Earth and the other planets in our Solar Sytem. You look at the blue Earth and realize, everyone we know of that ever lived or died, it all happened right there. Whether is be Lincoln, Kennedy, Cleopatra, Alexander the Great, Jesus himself, it all happened right there. The dinosaurs once roamed and we know so little of what is in the Center of the Earth.

that video is really amazing, isn't it?

i have often thought those same things you mention .... everything that has ever lived and died is still here, in some form ...... wow ....

I have no knowledge of astronomy but my brother is an enthusiast is a fanatic, last year for his 60th, his wife and two sons bought him a electronic telescope. I saw it it is amazing and stands about 6ft tall. I believe they paid about £1,000 for it.He loves it, apparently it finds any star (I think) that he wants, he just programmes it and it brings what he requested into the viewfinder.

I have no knowledge of astronomy but my brother is an enthusiast is a fanatic, last year for his 60th, his wife and two sons bought him a electronic telescope. I saw it it is amazing and stands about 6ft tall. I believe they paid about £1,000 for it.He loves it, apparently it finds any star (I think) that he wants, he just programmes it and it brings what he requested into the viewfinder.

A very nice toy if you live in the right place. I do not. Where I live is a nightmare for an astronomer. Too many clouds too often. If you drive out into the country more you are ok if you dont mind freezing your ass off. But I did get to see that comet when I did take astronomy. I still have the book. it is fascinating stuff. And if your brother is patient, maybe some night he could discover a comet that is a first? Then he could have it named after him. Like hitting the lottery though.

I was not aware it was so recent until I saw the announcement on a major TV news channel the other night and they said they would basically, in exact words I cannot recall, tell us soon. But they must want to be sure. So what the hell could it be? Microscopic fossils? Water? Water does not impress me. You know there has to be ice. It has to be microscopic remnants of life long ago, or fossils. No way can it be something left by intelligent life. That would be Earth shattering. Maybe its a fossil of an amoeba or protozoa and they are not sure? What else could it be to make us give a shit? Plant life remains would also be of interest. Any other guess's of what it could be? Signifigant enough to make us care?

NASA is backing off the big announcement:

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=130002VDRYP8

bugge!

So for now its a dead issue? Lets face it, our Solar system is never going to produce anything but planet Earth. I do not know how deep this rover can dig? Or how long it has left? Or how far it can roam the planet? I guess it would save us the money and the waste of time of a manned mission to Mars. Will we ever see a manned mission never to return? That is the only way we could venture beyond our own solar system. And Our kids may live to learn the results, unlikely we would. It just takes too long and the distances are too great. Unless they were to try to build a ship that could travel at tremendous speeds. But then you risk the lives of people if they were on board. Just an asteroid could kill the entire ship. could they actually use the perpetual motion theory and build a ship to utilize it? In theory it makes perfect sense. But could those on board live through it? It would have to be built ten times stronger than a German U Boat. And how would they slow it down once they reached a certain speed? Traveling at such speeds would be dangerous, they would need accurate radar devices to detect anything in their path at far distances and moving objects in space would be a real problem. And money is a huge factor. i doubt this president has any interest in it.

who knows what the future may bring? i am an optimist when it comes to this stuff. i think it will be more a case of someone/thing will come to us, and teach/help us, rather than us reaching anyone else. some other civilization that is millions of years ahead of us already .....