Favorite bootleg apart from Destroyer?

mojoman282

What about EVSD's 'Eternal Magic'?

Never heard it. It might be okay, but EVSD has a history of sometimes butchering releases with strange edits, or applying too much EQ or compression. The full Eternal Magic release does have both soundboard and audience sources for the show, so that's interesting.

Personally, I'll stick with Winston, the pre-boot low-gen version, or Godfather's "A Memory Frozen Forever."

• 4 weeks later...

It is a very secret soundboard that was directly pulled from the 16 mm film.

Only 2 persons do have it.

but i'm i'm the only one with the 3D High Def version in 5.1 surround.....the "soundboard that hath no name" indeed..........munch

but i digress

two faves....(and yes.......... they all come in various versions and various remasters)

lz-1969-04-27-back.jpg

most crankin first half ever.....best HMMT of all time ....in fact the whole first half of the show is about the best of all time....used to circulate back on tape before it was ever on LP.....

imagesCachephp.jpg

still my fave from the L.A. 77 shows.........never was a huge Badgeholders guy............

I like the both the LTTE & Badgeholders from 77'. The Earls Court 24/5/75 is my absolute favorite live show I have ever heard...love it! I have heard some boots from the 80' show back around 83' but I don't know what dates, I do remember they sounded very good and Jimmy especially was playing very well. I would like to get my hands on the Vienna 80' or Frankfurt 80' as I hear these are great shows. A friend of mine in the Army at the time went to both shows as well as Zurich...he said they were on fire. Any truth to this? He was a nice gut but a bit prone to copious amounts of the chronic back in the day.

• 4 months later...

So how hard would the fandom nut if an audience tape of 1977/04/27 finally made it's way out?

:wave:

I'd fucking love to hear an audience source for 27/4/77- if for no other reason than to hear what's missing from "No Quarter" that is cut on the soundboard! Mind ya, I'd also like to hear the alternate source for the following night's show that supposedly exists (I've seen it mentioned online here and there a couple times over the years)

I have no idea :D. I am no expert on these things, I have enough trouble finding them. There are several done by winston and bluecongo, I personally don't have any.

And when do find one, some helpful soul will tell you of a better version.( in my case it was encores what encores!) :mellow:

:wave:

I'd fucking love to hear an audience source for 27/4/77- if for no other reason than to hear what's missing from "No Quarter" that is cut on the soundboard! Mind ya, I'd also like to hear the alternate source for the following night's show that supposedly exists (I've seen it mentioned online here and there a couple times over the years)

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose interested! :D

This got me thinking, has anyone noticed that all of EVSD's soundboards for '77 have only been from the 2nd leg of the tour?

Good point, Sue.

On that basis it wouldn't surprise me to see EVSD pull Baton Rouge or Greensboro outta the hat one of these days. They had Houston, after all (no corresponding audience recording there, either) and that came out, what, seven years ago?

A Birmingham soundboard would be nice...that is an excellent performance.

Yeah, I just wish the 'Out of the Way' source (which sounds the best to my ears) didn't have that tape cut towards the end of ALS.

Good point, Sue.

On that basis it wouldn't surprise me to see EVSD pull Baton Rouge or Greensboro outta the hat one of these days. They had Houston, after all (no corresponding audience recording there, either) and that came out, what, seven years ago?

A Birmingham soundboard would be nice...that is an excellent performance.

Yes, yes and yes to all of the above! :D

Yes I would love to hear an audience of 4.27.77!

Yes I would love to hear a soundboard of 4.28.77!

Yes I would love to hear a soundboard of 5.18.77!

Anytime before I die, fellows, would be nice.

I will admit that I will be a little sad if a soundboard of 1977/04/28 comes out, because I know that it will probably be another cassette recording like the other '77 boards instead of a reel-reel tape like 04/27.

Regardless of the source, unless they pony up with a SBD of one of the complete '77 L.A. Forum shows, the 28/4/77 SBD would be the best '77 SBD by a fair margin. That was a truly magical performance.

Regardless of the source, unless they pony up with a SBD of one of the complete '77 L.A. Forum shows, the 28/4/77 SBD would be the best '77 SBD by a fair margin. That was a truly magical performance.

If a soundboard tape from the Forum shows came out in the near future, i would give it only one listen and never again just to hear clearly all the musical mistakes...i am pretty unconcerned about its existence...We already have the unbelieable sound quality of Millard's tapes and i don't give a fuck if the SBD tapes are out there...

I wish though all the sbd's of 77 tour surfaced one day...

I only want soundboards of 06/22 and 06/26, and maybe 06/27 just so it can be matrixed with the Millard tape and the performance can truely be complete. The others don't really need one.

I only want soundboards of 06/22 and 06/26, and maybe 06/27 just so it can be matrixed with the Millard tape and the performance can truely be complete. The others don't really need one.

(In Homer Simpson voice) "Mmm...6/22/77 soundboard...gaaaaaa...." (pool of drool collects at my feet) 22/6/77 could very well be the best L.A. '77 performance, even on the basis of the crappy to mediocre sounding audience recording(s).

And that's the thing -especially for this audience tape freak- with audience recordings as good as Millard's, who needs a soundboard? I'd want soundboards for the really shitty sounding '77 audience tapes, like 10/4/77, 23/4/77, 8/6/77...

(In Homer Simpson voice) "Mmm...6/22/77 soundboard...gaaaaaa...." (pool of drool collects at my feet) 22/6/77 could very well be the best L.A. '77 performance, even on the basis of the crappy to mediocre sounding audience recording(s).

And that's the thing -especially for this audience tape freak- with audience recordings as good as Millard's, who needs a soundboard? I'd want soundboards for the really shitty sounding '77 audience tapes, like 10/4/77, 23/4/77, 8/6/77...

I've actually gone back and given 04/10 another listen, and it's actually fairly enjoyable through my TV speakers. I would also love a soundboard of this show, but at the same time, I'm afraid too many warts would show up.

I've actually gone back and given 04/10 another listen, and it's actually fairly enjoyable through my TV speakers. I would also love a soundboard of this show, but at the same time, I'm afraid too many warts would show up.

I dunno...I'd reckon there are more 'warty' '77 performances than 10/4/77; considering Page nearly fucking died the night before the band got their shit together fairly well on the 10th (I think they felt they sorta owed it to the audience to try and pull out all the stops and put on a good show). Too bad the drum solo is cut out on the audience tape, though.

I dunno...I'd reckon there are more 'warty' '77 performances than 10/4/77; considering Page nearly fucking died the night before the band got their shit together fairly well on the 10th (I think they felt they sorta owed it to the audience to try and pull out all the stops and put on a good show). Too bad the drum solo is cut out on the audience tape, though.

I also get the feeling that Jimmy and the others felt a sense of 'owing it' to the crowd, especially considering that they had scheduled not one but two extra dates for later on in August, and that one of them was going to be an 'all requests' themed show. It just goes to show that despite whatever "health issues" Jimmy had he was still a dedicated showman at heart.

Yes, Soundboards of any show where a complete Millard tape exists would be superfluous. You might listen once or twice for curiosity sake, but when the chips are down when you want to listen to 6.21 or 6.25, you're going to reach for the Millard tape.

But there are three instances in the 1975 and 1977 run of shows where there does not exist a good complete Millard tape and therefore a Soundboard is needed to complete the picture.

3.12.75 is a helluva show...possibly the best of the American tour, with Plant's voice much improved from the earlier shows. Stem to stern, 6.22.77 may not surpass 6.21 or 6.23, but there are moments that equal or better the other two nights. OTHAFA, for one.

It does seem with all the crappy audience tapes, Soundboards are needed more for the first couple months of the 77 tour...and New York.

However, I'd much rather have a good audience for 4.27 than a Sbd for 4.28.

Archived