Led Zeppelin: CELEBRATION DAY (Global Press/Media Coverage)

SteveAJones

Dave Lewis from Tight But Loose and John Paul Jones

I spoke with John after the Supersilent gig last night and asked him for some final thoughts as the Celebration Day releases are unleashed across the world:

''We are of course all very pleased it's finally out there but what I'm really pleased about is that to capture it on film and live on stage with all those close ups, now everyone can finally see what we did on stage and what makes all that magic so that's really the best thing for me. It's four people on stage playing together - that's what it's always been all about''

31029_3772229516888_2134510542_n.jpg

i was driving last night, and my local radio station 107.7 2 g o had a celebration day special that went for nearly an hour. it was songs with new interviews with robert and jimmy. it was an aussie dj, but i don't know who. i have emailed the station, but haven't heard back yet. it was quite good.

reggie, did you happen to hear it?

i was driving last night, and my local radio station 107.7 2 g o had a celebration day special that went for nearly an hour. it was songs with new interviews with robert and jimmy. it was an aussie dj, but i don't know who. i have emailed the station, but haven't heard back yet. it was quite good.

reggie, did you happen to hear it?

It could've been Lee Simon's Triple M interview. Unfortunately I missed it.

• Administrators

Celebrating Led Zeppelin

by Paul John Caña

MANILA, Philippines - I was a newborn when Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980.

My dad’s musical taste never went far beyond standards from Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck and Matt Monro, and I didn’t have a cool uncle or cousin who introduced me to rock essentials.

I was well into high school and college when I first heard of the quartet of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham.

Who they are

Led Zeppelin practically defined the hard rock sound of the 1970s.

Their legacy is such that they regularly land in the top of various lists of the greatest rock and roll bands in the history of recorded music.

They’ve sold hundreds of millions of albums throughout their career and their potent blend of hard rock, blues and folk is often cited as a major influence by numerous bands and artists, from The Ramones and Smashing Pumpkins to Madonna and Lady Gaga.

Any attempt then to describe exactly how influential Led Zeppelin are to modern rock music is about as difficult as measuring Leonardo Da Vinci’s impact on painting or Michael Jordan on basketball.

Except, of course, for hardcore classic rock fans, most young people these days probably only have a slight familiarity with Led Zeppelin.

Many of us may have heard the songs and even profess to be a fan on our social networking profiles, but few can claim to have witnessed the rock group perform live and in the flesh.

I myself have heard of the occasional Led Zep record but never really got around to delving deeper into their oeuvre.

'Celebration Day'

It was with some trepidation that I walked into myCinema at Greenbelt 3 on November 19 for the invitational screening of “Celebration Day,” the concert film of the legendary band’s last reunion concert at London’s O2 Arena on December 10, 2007.

There were reports that 20 million people around the world attempted to buy tickets for the one-night-only show, but only 18,000 got to physically be there to see Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham’s son Jason play.

I was ecstatic at the opportunity to finally be given the chance to see a rare performance by the band, but a little worried that I wasn’t familiar enough with their repertoire to thoroughly enjoy the show.

Led Zeppelin were the main act in a tribute show for Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records, which the band called home for most of their career. Like any concert film, audio quality is key, and when I opened the doors to the theater, I felt like I was entering an actual arena or stadium.

The floor throbbed with a mix of the nonstop roar from the O2 audience and Page’s guitar work from “Good Times, Bad Times,” the opening song. The screen was alive and even if you know absolutely nothing about the band, it would be near-impossible not to get caught up in the music.

ledzeppelin_celebrationday_rosshalfin_20121124.jpgROCK N' ROLL TO HEAVEN. This concert film is a MUST-have for every music aficionado. Photo by Ross Halfin

The Led Zep repertoire

The band played 16 songs in about two hours. They did “Ramble On,” “Black Dog” and “In My Time Of Dying” in succession, each song better than the last.

Plant’s high-pitched wails and Page’s guitars bounced off the speakers and right into my skin, sending shivers of electricity down my body. Jones shifted from the bass to the keyboards on “No Quarter,” and Bonham displayed skills that would no doubt have made his father proud.

It was crazy to think that these guys, with the exception of Bonham, are all in their 60s. They rocked as hard and as loudly as anyone in their 20s or 30s.

On “Stairway To Heaven,” the band slowed down somewhat but never let the energy level go down. It’s difficult to find a definitive highlight in a show that was all about emotional crests, but when they started on that unmistakable intro for “Kashmir,” I was about ready to jump up and scream inside the theater.

The performance had such a bone-jarring, soul-crushing, epic feel to it that I wanted to kick myself for not listening to this band more. This is a travesty that is already being corrected (I’m listening to Led Zeppelin YouTube clips as I write this).

'Face melting'

As it turned out, I was worried for nothing.

“Celebration Day,” is, in a word, “face-melting,” as Jack Black in the film School of Rock would say. The band exited the stage and came back for “Whole Lotta Love” and again for the grand finale, “Rock And Roll.”

It took 4 years from the time the concert was held to the release of the film and it was clear they wanted to give their fans a snapshot of the band at their absolute best. If you’re a longtime fan, there’s no question that the DVD is a must-own.

And if, like me, you’re only now discovering the genius of Led Zeppelin, the film is an excellent opportunity to experience a true rock concert the likes of which will probably never happen again in our lifetime.

At least, until they decide to do another reunion gig.

- Rappler.com

http://www.rappler.com/entertainment/16696-celebrating-led-zeppelin

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin at number one on UK Record Store Chart

By Live4ever - Posted on 26 Nov 2012

ledzeppelinwide-450x300.jpg

Led Zeppelin‘s new concert album ‘Celebration Day‘ tops the UK Record Store Chart this week.

Their 2007 London O2 Arena performance heads a chart which also includes AC/DC and Mumford & Sons in the Top 10, while The Rolling Stones‘ new collection ‘GRRR!‘ has dropped to #11.

Meanwhile, both The Killers and Tame Impala have re-entered the Top 20 this week on the chart which is compiled entirely from sales registered at the UK’s independent record shops.

UK Record Store Album Chart, Top 20:

1/ Led Zeppelin – ‘Celebration Day’

2/ Example – ‘The Evolution Of Man’

3/ One Direction – ‘Take Me Home’

4/ Andre Rieu & The Johann Strauss Orchestra – ‘Magic Of The Movies’

5/ Rod Stewart – ‘Merry Christmas Baby’

6/ AC/DC – ‘Live At River Plate’

7/ Mumford & Sons – ‘Babel’

8/ Rihanna – ‘Unapologetic’

9/ Emeli Sande – ‘Our Version Of Events’

10/ Alfie Boe – ‘Storyteller’

11/ The Rolling Stones – ‘GRRR!’

12/ Soundgarden – ‘King Animal’

13/ Michael Buble – ‘Christmas’

14/ Robbie Williams – ‘Take The Crown’

15/ Susan Boyle – ‘Standing Ovation’

16/ Little Mix – ‘DNA’

17/ The Killers – ‘Battle Born’

18/ Tame Impala – ‘Lonerism’

19/ The Military Wives – ‘Stronger Together’

20/ Jake Bugg – ‘Jake Bugg’

http://www.live4ever...rd-store-chart/

There are so many Celebration Day threads. Wasn't sure where to post this or if it has been put in any of the other threads.

Gibson.com interview of Dick Carruthers.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/led-zeppelin-dick-carruthers-1126-2012.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Guitar%20Corp.&utm_content=Editorial+eblast+-+November+27%2C+2012

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jason Bonham Talks Zeppelin Reunion Tour And Celebration Day

1835_1354209972.jpg

Jason Bonham stopped by the Gater Studios on Wednesday to talk with Andy Preston about the new Led Zeppelin CD/DVD "Celebration Day," which is in stores now.

Jason talked in depth about the 2007 show at the O2 Arena, the Celebration Day project, and said he was honored and proud to be part of a product called Led Zeppelin. He also talked about the final rehearsal for the show which took place at Shepperton Studios.

When asked to elaborate about why a reunion tour never happened after the O2 show, Jason said he and Robert Plant spoke very long and hard about it. It wasn't simply because Robert had other things going on.

Jason shared a conversation that he and Robert had, and it turns out there were more personal reasons. He said Robert told him "John (Bonham) was the drummer in Led Zeppelin" and that he "struggles sometimes just thinking about trying to create some magic again when he's not there...he was a very, very dear friend of mine, that I miss everyday."

Watch the video from that piece of the interview below.

Listen to the entire 14 minute interview here: http://www.gaterrocks.com/pages/andypreston.html?article=10605116#ixzz2Dhr2Mvfw

Don't expect a Led Zeppelin reunion tour

By: Jeff Miers

The Buffalo News

Updated: 11/23/2012, 07:13 AM

It is certainly amazing within the current culture of popular music that a “new” release from Led Zeppelin demands so much attention.

This week, the legendary band released “Celebration Day,” a double disc/double DVD/Blu-ray/vinyl set documenting the group's Dec. 10, 2007, performance at London's O2 Arena. The reunion show was held in honor of the late founder of Atlantic Records, the equally legendary Ahmet Ertegun and featured original Zeppelin men Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, with John Bonham's son Jason Bonham handling the drum throne for his dearly departed dad. A film of the concert debuted in theaters a few weeks back. And suddenly, Led Zeppelin mania feels as fresh and vibrant is it must have back in 1975 when the group was (more than deservedly) the biggest band in the world.

There's one small difference in 2012, however. Led Zeppelin doesn't actually exist. The band did some high-profile press to go along with “Celebration Day's” release. But despite the ever-lingering rumors of a reunion tour, no such thing seems to be forthcoming.

I, for one, am glad.

Sure, a Led Zeppelin reunion tour would sell out everywhere it went, and would probably yield high artistic standards. Imagine the money that must be dangling in front of the musicians. If the Stones can get away with $800 for the best tickets to its 50th anniversary shows, what would a Led Zeppelin ticket fetch on StubHub? Such a reunion jaunt might singlehandedly save the touring industry. Consider the fact that 20 million people applied for the O2 Arena show alone. All of that for a venue that seated 18,000. Do the math. It's staggering.

Led Zeppelin is as big today as it was when it broke up more than 30 years ago. The band's popularity has jumped several generations. Visit a Guitar Center store on any given day, and it's more than likely that you'll see some 14-year-old hopeful feeling his way through a mighty Zeppelin riff like “Heartbreaker” or “Whole Lotta Love,” quite possibly while adorned in a Zeppelin T-shirt.

So why not tour? It all comes down to one man – Robert Plant. The singer – properly perceived as one of the finest in rock history – is the single holdout in the Zeppelin camp, it seems. Plant doesn't want to tour. And I love him for it.

The man's distaste for nostalgia has long been apparent. Throughout his solo career, he's provided an ever-moving target, a shape-shifting persona that has seen him move from hard rock, to a hippie jam-vibe, to a noir-country teaming with the lovely and incredibly talented Alison Krauss. He's avoided living in the past, sometimes to the chagrin of his fans.

Watching the film of “Celebration Day,” one is inclined to take Plant's position. He is in incredible form throughout. Though no human could sustain the strength and range the young Plant routinely employed during Zeppelin's heyday, Plant – who was 60 at the time of the O2 concert – accords himself well, saving plenty of gas in the tank for the highest notes, finding new ways to tell the emotional stories of the songs in a manner that is both mature and visceral. Simply put, he kills it.

Which brings us to the point. Today, Plant is 64. If he signed on for a full reunion tour, there's very little chance he would be able to sustain the intensity required by this music night in and night out. Plant knows this. That's what he means when he suggests that singing the way he did in 1975 is essentially a young man's game. Not emotionally, necessarily, but certainly physically.

The touring circuit is stuffed full of aging performers attempting to do justice to work they originally created as young men. Very few of them are up to the task. But the money must make this easier to deal with.

Consider the great Who frontman Roger Daltrey, a powerhouse vocalist from Plant's generation who often sang as hard and as high in range as the Zeppelin singer. God bless him, but Daltrey is struggling to hit the notes these days. It's to Plant's credit that he refuses to go down the same road. Even more to his credit is the fact that his refusal is based on immense respect for the music, love for the friends he made it with, and concern for both the paying fans and the band's legacy.

Of course, Plant's fellow band members are concerned with Zeppelin's legacy as well. By most published accounts, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham would love to tour. Watching and listening to “Celebration Day,” it's not hard to understand why. Even without the late John Bonham, and even with most of the band members in their 60s, Led Zeppelin remains the most exciting, creative, vibrant and dynamic band in rock. Page is clearly at (or very near) the top of his game throughout the O2 concert, his marriage of brilliant chord progressions, light-shade dynamic manipulation, and blistering post-blues guitar solos remaining the template every serious electric guitarist of the past (at least) 35 years has had no choice but to deal with. One might quibble over the statistics regarding Page's peer group – for some, Jeff Beck is the greatest, for others, it's Eric Clapton, still more prefer Jimi Hendrix, and so forth – but there can be no doubt that Page is the finest composer and orchestrator of the bunch. The body of work for which Page is guitarist, producer, principal composer, and spirit-guide is peerless, plain and simple.

Sadly, unlike Plant, Page has had a rough go of it as a post-Zeppelin artist. Everything he's done has been worth listening to, and some of it is brilliant. But Page has never had a vehicle as suitable for the display of his genius as Led Zeppelin. Certainly, he knows this to be the truth. Which must make accepting Plant's decision tough going.

Who knows? Maybe Plant will change his mind, and Led Zeppelin will spend the summer of 2013 playing its greatest songs to massive audiences around the world, raking in millions (and millions and millions) of dollars in the process.

But I highly doubt it. And I find this comforting. If “Celebration Day” is the final Led Zeppelin “product” to see release, then the band's tenure will be forever unblemished. A perfect record, to put the bookend on a perfect career.

http://www.buffalonews.com/Article/20121123/GUSTO/121129706

Led Zeppelin at number one on UK Record Store Chart

By Live4ever - Posted on 26 Nov 2012

ledzeppelinwide-450x300.jpg

Led Zeppelin‘s new concert album ‘Celebration Day‘ tops the UK Record Store Chart this week.

Their 2007 London O2 Arena performance heads a chart which also includes AC/DC and Mumford & Sons in the Top 10, while The Rolling Stones‘ new collection ‘GRRR!‘ has dropped to #11.

Meanwhile, both The Killers and Tame Impala have re-entered the Top 20 this week on the chart which is compiled entirely from sales registered at the UK’s independent record shops.

UK Record Store Album Chart, Top 20:

1/ Led Zeppelin – ‘Celebration Day’

2/ Example – ‘The Evolution Of Man’

3/ One Direction – ‘Take Me Home’

4/ Andre Rieu & The Johann Strauss Orchestra – ‘Magic Of The Movies’

5/ Rod Stewart – ‘Merry Christmas Baby’

6/ AC/DC – ‘Live At River Plate’

7/ Mumford & Sons – ‘Babel’

8/ Rihanna – ‘Unapologetic’

9/ Emeli Sande – ‘Our Version Of Events’

10/ Alfie Boe – ‘Storyteller’

11/ The Rolling Stones – ‘GRRR!’

12/ Soundgarden – ‘King Animal’

13/ Michael Buble – ‘Christmas’

14/ Robbie Williams – ‘Take The Crown’

15/ Susan Boyle – ‘Standing Ovation’

16/ Little Mix – ‘DNA’

17/ The Killers – ‘Battle Born’

18/ Tame Impala – ‘Lonerism’

19/ The Military Wives – ‘Stronger Together’

20/ Jake Bugg – ‘Jake Bugg’

http://www.live4ever...rd-store-chart/

wow, 2012 and LED ZEPPELIN have the NUMBER 1 ... wow!!! :hurrah::cheer::thumbsup::notworthy::banana::yay:

Don't expect a Led Zeppelin reunion tour

By: Jeff Miers

The Buffalo News

Updated: 11/23/2012, 07:13 AM

It is certainly amazing within the current culture of popular music that a “new” release from Led Zeppelin demands so much attention.

This week, the legendary band released “Celebration Day,” a double disc/double DVD/Blu-ray/vinyl set documenting the group's Dec. 10, 2007, performance at London's O2 Arena. The reunion show was held in honor of the late founder of Atlantic Records, the equally legendary Ahmet Ertegun and featured original Zeppelin men Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, with John Bonham's son Jason Bonham handling the drum throne for his dearly departed dad. A film of the concert debuted in theaters a few weeks back. And suddenly, Led Zeppelin mania feels as fresh and vibrant is it must have back in 1975 when the group was (more than deservedly) the biggest band in the world.

There's one small difference in 2012, however. Led Zeppelin doesn't actually exist. The band did some high-profile press to go along with “Celebration Day's” release. But despite the ever-lingering rumors of a reunion tour, no such thing seems to be forthcoming.

I, for one, am glad.

Sure, a Led Zeppelin reunion tour would sell out everywhere it went, and would probably yield high artistic standards. Imagine the money that must be dangling in front of the musicians. If the Stones can get away with $800 for the best tickets to its 50th anniversary shows, what would a Led Zeppelin ticket fetch on StubHub? Such a reunion jaunt might singlehandedly save the touring industry. Consider the fact that 20 million people applied for the O2 Arena show alone. All of that for a venue that seated 18,000. Do the math. It's staggering.

Led Zeppelin is as big today as it was when it broke up more than 30 years ago. The band's popularity has jumped several generations. Visit a Guitar Center store on any given day, and it's more than likely that you'll see some 14-year-old hopeful feeling his way through a mighty Zeppelin riff like “Heartbreaker” or “Whole Lotta Love,” quite possibly while adorned in a Zeppelin T-shirt.

So why not tour? It all comes down to one man – Robert Plant. The singer – properly perceived as one of the finest in rock history – is the single holdout in the Zeppelin camp, it seems. Plant doesn't want to tour. And I love him for it.

The man's distaste for nostalgia has long been apparent. Throughout his solo career, he's provided an ever-moving target, a shape-shifting persona that has seen him move from hard rock, to a hippie jam-vibe, to a noir-country teaming with the lovely and incredibly talented Alison Krauss. He's avoided living in the past, sometimes to the chagrin of his fans.

Watching the film of “Celebration Day,” one is inclined to take Plant's position. He is in incredible form throughout. Though no human could sustain the strength and range the young Plant routinely employed during Zeppelin's heyday, Plant – who was 60 at the time of the O2 concert – accords himself well, saving plenty of gas in the tank for the highest notes, finding new ways to tell the emotional stories of the songs in a manner that is both mature and visceral. Simply put, he kills it.

Which brings us to the point. Today, Plant is 64. If he signed on for a full reunion tour, there's very little chance he would be able to sustain the intensity required by this music night in and night out. Plant knows this. That's what he means when he suggests that singing the way he did in 1975 is essentially a young man's game. Not emotionally, necessarily, but certainly physically.

The touring circuit is stuffed full of aging performers attempting to do justice to work they originally created as young men. Very few of them are up to the task. But the money must make this easier to deal with.

Consider the great Who frontman Roger Daltrey, a powerhouse vocalist from Plant's generation who often sang as hard and as high in range as the Zeppelin singer. God bless him, but Daltrey is struggling to hit the notes these days. It's to Plant's credit that he refuses to go down the same road. Even more to his credit is the fact that his refusal is based on immense respect for the music, love for the friends he made it with, and concern for both the paying fans and the band's legacy.

Of course, Plant's fellow band members are concerned with Zeppelin's legacy as well. By most published accounts, Page, Jones and Jason Bonham would love to tour. Watching and listening to “Celebration Day,” it's not hard to understand why. Even without the late John Bonham, and even with most of the band members in their 60s, Led Zeppelin remains the most exciting, creative, vibrant and dynamic band in rock. Page is clearly at (or very near) the top of his game throughout the O2 concert, his marriage of brilliant chord progressions, light-shade dynamic manipulation, and blistering post-blues guitar solos remaining the template every serious electric guitarist of the past (at least) 35 years has had no choice but to deal with. One might quibble over the statistics regarding Page's peer group – for some, Jeff Beck is the greatest, for others, it's Eric Clapton, still more prefer Jimi Hendrix, and so forth – but there can be no doubt that Page is the finest composer and orchestrator of the bunch. The body of work for which Page is guitarist, producer, principal composer, and spirit-guide is peerless, plain and simple.

Sadly, unlike Plant, Page has had a rough go of it as a post-Zeppelin artist. Everything he's done has been worth listening to, and some of it is brilliant. But Page has never had a vehicle as suitable for the display of his genius as Led Zeppelin. Certainly, he knows this to be the truth. Which must make accepting Plant's decision tough going.

Who knows? Maybe Plant will change his mind, and Led Zeppelin will spend the summer of 2013 playing its greatest songs to massive audiences around the world, raking in millions (and millions and millions) of dollars in the process.

But I highly doubt it. And I find this comforting. If “Celebration Day” is the final Led Zeppelin “product” to see release, then the band's tenure will be forever unblemished. A perfect record, to put the bookend on a perfect career.

http://www.buffalonews.com/Article/20121123/GUSTO/121129706

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree 100%.

I don't think this has been posted yet

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/hidden-flick-hidden-history-led-zeppelin-rolling-stones/

It is a Blog by Randy Ray, Senior Editor at jambands.com

The first part is about a previously unreleased documentary of the stones.

The second part covers Celebration Day

I found it very insightful!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived