BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Beef Bourguignon. Creamy Horseradish Mash.

3 hours of wonderfullness. Chuck steak with shallots,chestnut mushrooms,bottle of Pinot,streaky smoked bacon, some 'erbs slowly done in the oven. Bottle of Reserve Rioja. 

A black cherry and chocolate cheese cake. Cheeses and an Orange Muscat wine

Beef Bourguignon. Creamy Horseradish Mash.

3 hours of wonderfullness. Chuck steak with shallots,chestnut mushrooms,bottle of Pinot,streaky smoked bacon, some 'erbs slowly done in the oven. Bottle of Reserve Rioja. 

A black cherry and chocolate cheese cake. Cheeses and an Orange Muscat wine

Interesting, you use a Pinot and not a Burgundy?

• 2 weeks later...

Gracing the CP's table this evening:

Home made Chicken Liver Pate, thin crisp biscuits

Rib Eye Steak. Small roast Pots with Garlic, French Beans, Beef reduction

A choice of Amaretto or Dark Chocolate gateaux. One of each so it's the dark for me

Red wines from The Douro in Portugal

Spicy Lasagna Kiwi? Intriguing. Happy Birthday mate ! :D

Thank you so much, CP! That lasagna, had oodles of cheese and paprika, nicely cooked chicken breast and even a few pieces of red chili! My mom wanted to know, how on earth I could actually eat this stuff! :lol: BTW, CP, my birthday dinner at Hard Rock Cafe turned out to be incredibly special, not only because of the food, but because I came across two wonderful individually framed photos of Percy and Bonzo, the album cover of the iconic Led Zeppelin I and a part of Bonzo's drum kit, mounted on a wall! I couldn't help but tear up CP, as Bonzo looked so happy and full of life in that photo:

013_zpssxlm7jry.jpg

014_zpsyhtryjcy.jpg

Being the foodie that I am, I shamelessly documented all of the culinary delights that I sampled, on my birthday, with suitable pictorial depictions! :P

Let's start with my birthday lunch, courtesy of my lovely mom! :wub: 

Fried Rice, Tomato and Onion based Korma (laced with Pav Bhaji masala), Onion, Tomato and Cucumber based Raita and a bit of Thayir Vadai

003_zpsgkdzrmsw.jpg

Great report Kiwi. - I prefer your Mum's lunch of course.

This weekend we have chums over. So tomorrow I am preparing an absolute classic: Beef Rendang. This wonderful spicy and sweet offering is a staple Indonesian dish but I am am adding a few surprises to bring it on the Malay side. Lemon Grass, Kafir Lime Leaves and the sourness of Tamarind. It will cook most of the afternoon and will have infused perfectly for Saturday.

I am serving this a cucumber and chilli salad with a Kepac Manis sauce, rice and rotis.

For starters another classic street food but this time from Bali. Chicken Satay in a Balinese Spicy Peanut sauce.

Not sure about sweet yet - maybe some Lychees and Vanilla Ice Cream.

Of course there will be plenty of wines and beers and relaxing herbs.

I have one last portion of 'My Exercise in Utter Self Indulgence', to complete :P 

In the Whisky department, well, I got to try out the 3rd Best Single Malt Whisky in the world - Amrut Fusion (fusion in this case, indicates a fusion of East and West), the pride of Bangalore, India! I highly recommend it! B) 

The price was incredibly reasonable, in comparison to other Single Malts. The whisky itself, had just the right amount of spice, with hints of honey and lemon - a fine balance between peatiness and sweetness. The taste reminded Black and White Blended Scotch whisky, but with less acidity and more spice :) 

047_zpsrml5skid.jpg

Just for you Birthday girl:

Malaysian Beef Rendang: Serves 6

3 tbsp Coconut oil ( or veg oil )

1.5Kg Blade or chuck steak cut into 6cm chunks

*1 Quantitiy Rendang Spice Paste

800ml Coconut Milk

4 fat lemon grass stalks - bruised

12 Kaffir Lime Leaves

2 x 7.5cm Cinnamon Sticks

125ml Tamarind Water ( made from 50g seedless tamarind pulp)

1tbsp Palm Sugar

Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan. I use a Cruset. Add the beef until it has all changed colour but not browned. Add the spice paste,coconut milk,lemon grass,lime leaves,cinnamon sticks and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to the boil,reduce the heat,add the Tamarind water and leave to simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and then more frequently towards the end of cooking until the beef is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened. Remove the lemon grass and stir in the sugar and seasoning to taste. Serve with rice or rotis and a cucumber salad

*Rendang Spice Paste:

100g finely grated fresh coconut

8 dried Kashmiri Chillies

2 tbsp Coriander seeds

1 tsp Cumin seeds

25g peeled fresh turmeric, roughly chopped or 1 tsp Turmeric powder

225g Shallots or Onions roughly chopped

30g Chopped Garlic

50g peeled Galangal or Ginger roughly chopped

6 medium hot fresh chillies, seeded and roughly chopped

Heat a dry heavy based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the coconut and stir for a few minutes until golden brown. Tip into a food processor and leave to cool. Meanwhile put the dried chillies,coriander and cumin seeds into a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Add this to the food processor with the rest of the ingredients and 100ml of water and blend to a smooth paste

This is a classic party dish but it can be very rich. An Indonesian Rendang is thick and almost dry as the sauce is cooked until it almost goes black. It is a wonderful introduction to South East Asian cooking.

^^^Thank you so much, CP! :friends: :thanku: I'm really looking forward to seeing your photos of this dish! It is just so scrumptious, mate! :D 

I've saved the recipe you gave me, for future reference and I might actually muster up the courage to cook this! :lol: 

BTW, hopefully, England will kick arse in the upcoming test series, against the Proteas! :cheer: 

Sounds like some great cuisine CP!  You're quite the gourmet chef!  Perhaps, you'll be the next Food Network Star?  I'm very much a foodie as well.  I'm a decent cook, but not great, but what I do cook always comes out good!  I really enjoy my cuisine and take advantage of it when I go away and seek out haute cuisine eateries! Just my liking!