BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

24 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I was a Count Chocula kid myself. B) Tried a bowl a few years ago, found it wayyy to sweet. Now I enjoy the occasional bowl of Chocolate Cheerios. 

I like that several cereal brands are including chocolate.  I am trying to find a very healthy cereal, one with lots of vitamins (and a little chocolate would be nice ;)).  I tried Special K.  Not very tasty, but tolerable with a banana added to it.  Still looking. :P 

2 hours ago, Ddladner said:

I like that several cereal brands are including chocolate.  I am trying to find a very healthy cereal, one with lots of vitamins (and a little chocolate would be nice ;)).  I tried Special K.  Not very tasty, but tolerable with a banana added to it.  Still looking. :P 

Is that the one with the little chocolate bits in it? I think I tried that too, I remember it being pretty bland. Cheerios are healthy, right? ;)

4 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Is that the one with the little chocolate bits in it? I think I tried that too, I remember it being pretty bland. Cheerios are healthy, right? ;)

No. They may say that they have "whole grains" in, but as like many breakfast cereals they're packed full of sugar. I really have to look hard at cereals for breakfast at the sugar content. Even the " muesli" type of ones are sugar heavy. I did see one the other day that had hardly any sugar or salt but I reckon it would be like eating the contents of the bottom of a bird cage. 

The best option for a healthy breakkie is a boiled/poached egg with wholemeal toast and yogurt with soft fruit. Blueberries or Raspberries are a good option.

9 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

The Special K I tried was the original, plain Jane one, and sadly, no chocolate bits added. You have to doctor it up a bit to get it down.  I've not tried the chocolate Cheerios, and while I suspect they may not be at the very top of the healthy choices, they sound pretty good. ;)  I'm currently eating Kellogg's Müeslix, which is chock full of goodies. It tastes pretty good and seems healthy enough, but I'm not a big cereal fan so will be switching it up.  My favorite cereal is cooked oatmeal with honey, blueberries and raspberries (and just a hint of sea salt). :D 

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No. They may say that they have "whole grains" in, but as like many breakfast cereals they're packed full of sugar. I really have to look hard at cereals for breakfast at the sugar content. Even the " muesli" type of ones are sugar heavy. I did see one the other day that had hardly any sugar or salt but I reckon it would be like eating the contents of the bottom of a bird cage. 

The best option for a healthy breakkie is a boiled/poached egg with wholemeal toast and yogurt with soft fruit. Blueberries or Raspberries are a good option.

It's a shame that there isn't a great choice for cereals, just for the convenience of a weekday breakfast.  I much prefer to cook my own food so you know what's going into it.  And I love cooking breakfast, but only on the weekends.  I like your healthy breakkie but would not be able to eat an egg every day (maybe that's just old school thinking).  The best option would be to have a chef in the house to cook breakfast every day. ;) 

44 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

It's a shame that there isn't a great choice for cereals, just for the convenience of a weekday breakfast.  I much prefer to cook my own food so you know what's going into it.  And I love cooking breakfast, but only on the weekends.  I like your healthy breakkie but would not be able to eat an egg every day (maybe that's just old school thinking).  The best option would be to have a chef in the house to cook breakfast every day. ;) 

I know what you mean DD. Good wholemeal toast is a sound bet though.

I have just spent 4 days in Portugal with Mrs CP, golfing. The breakfast buffet in the hotel was huge. They had everything and I mean everything! I had poached eggs,toast,fruit and yogurt each day. It seemed to me most added bacon and sausage to their eggs to really pile it on. I am not a big fan of meat for breakkie - give me a smoked fish any day:)

I don't have an egg every day, only Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe some mushrooms and beans or fish

There must be some truth in that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

10 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I know what you mean DD. Good wholemeal toast is a sound bet though.

I have just spent 4 days in Portugal with Mrs CP, golfing. The breakfast buffet in the hotel was huge. They had everything and I mean everything! I had poached eggs,toast,fruit and yogurt each day. It seemed to me most added bacon and sausage to their eggs to really pile it on. I am not a big fan of meat for breakkie - give me a smoked fish any day:)

I don't have an egg every day, only Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe some mushrooms and beans or fish

There must be some truth in that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

Sounds like a lovely time, CP!   When I was a young adult, I always skipped breakfast.  My excuse was that I was too busy to eat.  I also often skipped lunch (again, too busy).  Around 40, my body decided that it was time to start paying attention to my eating habits.  Now I always eat breakfast and lunch, even if it's just a piece of fruit.  Breakfast is definitely the most important meal of the day. :yesnod:

Just made a Bangladeshi Beef Shatkora for dinner this evening. The house smells of wonderful spices. Cardamom,cloves,cassia bark and lots of garlic,ginger and chilli. Just before serving I squeeze the juice of a red grapefruit and a bit of the skin to make this a wonderful zesty hot curry 

13 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Just made a Bangladeshi Beef Shatkora for dinner this evening. The house smells of wonderful spices. Cardamom,cloves,cassia bark and lots of garlic,ginger and chilli. Just before serving I squeeze the juice of a red grapefruit and a bit of the skin to make this a wonderful zesty hot curry 

Any scent of "green" to be smelt? ;) 

17 hours ago, Walter said:

Any scent of "green" to be smelt? ;) 

Of course man. I am still tooting my Cali Orange which is about 6 months old now. I have recently cropped a South African Kwazulu which smells amazing. This is currently being cured. Can't wait for that one. We have also had some sticky black hash from India. This is beyond amazing but as expensive as saffron. Get a tiny bit and roll into a thin strip. Lay it on the papers with some tobacco and get a smooth smoke all the way.:D

30 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Tanner legs--is that anything like snow crab? Don't think I've ever seen Tanner legs at my local Publix...

It's only around a couple of times each year.  They look like snow crab, have more meat than snow crab and the meat tastes like king crab.  Give em a call and see if they have them in.  You won't be sorry.

$7.99/lb

Edited by Walter

Mammoth chicken breast slowly cooked in a light sheen of coconut oil in a stainless steel skillet. Topped with my 11 secret herbs and spices.
Fresh steamed cabbage topped with butter and a smattering of Himalayan pink salt.
Avocado and Roma tomato salad with a drizzle of Ranch dressing on top.

Dessert is pistachio pudding and surfing of the cable news networks.
Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a brown sugar and bacon glazed smoked ham, mashed potatoes with sawmill gravy, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, Mrs. Walter's corn bread, dinner rolls.  Ice cream sundaes for the kids, strawberry cheese cake and coffee for adults.