BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Hi CP! :wave: 

According to my mom, nailing the cooking process of basmati rice, involves two factors:

1) The brand of basmati rice used

2) Critical proportions with regard to uncooked rice and cups of water required for the rice to cook in the pressure cooker. 

The brand of basmati rice used by my mom is India Gate basmati rice. I'm sure you've heard of it CP, but here's the link to buy a packet on Amazon.co.uk : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basmatireis-Indian-Gate-Pack-Sella/dp/B00NUC6I1U

You might want to hunt around for a much smaller pack, as this one is huge (at 5 kilos!) :wacko: 

To cook basmati rice and avoid the damn thing from turning into a blob, my mom recommends first getting the proportion of uncooked rice, right. She uses 1 cup of uncooked rice for 2 people and 1.5 cups of uncooked rice for 3 people (that is half a cup of uncooked rice per person). 

Once she has decided on how many cups of cooked rice are required, she soaks the rice in plain water (you will need 1 and a half cups of plain water at room temperature) for as long as 3 hours - she does this in order to reduce the cooking time. According to my mom, this reduction in cooking time, effectively prevents the rice grains from sticking together and gives the grains a better texture. 

Pre-soaking the uncooked rice, also reduces the amount of water required to pressure cook it. While cooking basmati rice for 3 people, my mom (after soaking the uncooked rice), uses half a cup of room temperature water to pressure cook it. I have noticed that my mom uses 1 and a half cups of water, while cooking basmati rice for 4 to 6 people.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :) 

Edited to add: I was watching the Australian version of My Kitchen Rules the other day and two contestants (who were a team called the NSW Poms) were from the UK (they had moved to Sydney, awhile ago) and to me, those blokes are the best contestants this season, as they really know their stuff around the kitchen and never fail to impress with their dishes! So, I was thinking: how fantastic it would be if you, CP and Mrs. CP participated in the UK version of MKR! I bet my last dollar that you guys will definitely win!! :D 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
Punctuation

On April 12, 2016 at 7:09 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Careful with that river prowler DD.

Spicy I can eat forever - and do.

Lunch today is a more sedate affair for the taste buds.  A pork pie salad

No worries, CP, this is as close as I'm willing to get to him!  I have spent a lot of time on this river over the years, and while I know there are alligators, luckily, I have only seen a couple.  In fact, the only other one I can remember seeing was many years ago outside this very restaurant.  Hmmm, not a coincident, methinks.

Granola with almond milk, banana and coffee for me. :) 

On 4/11/2016 at 7:18 PM, Ddladner said:

Monday = Red beans and rice at a local restaurant, located along the river.  This little fella was lounging around, maybe he likes red beans and rice, too! ;) 

image.thumb.jpeg.e163dcff7520a93a181a7de

I seriously thought you were going to say that the "little" fella was your lunch!  :lol:

4 hours ago, ebk said:

I seriously thought you were going to say that the "little" fella was your lunch!  :lol:

Ha! I have eaten alligator before (tastes like chicken ;)), but I don't know of any places around here that serve it. Luckily for that little fella, alligator is not on the menu at the restaurant where he likes to hang out. :P 

22 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Hi CP! :wave: 

According to my mom, nailing the cooking process of basmati rice, involves two factors:

1) The brand of basmati rice used

2) Critical proportions with regard to uncooked rice and cups of water required for the rice to cook in the pressure cooker. 

The brand of basmati rice used by my mom is India Gate basmati rice. I'm sure you've heard of it CP, but here's the link to buy a packet on Amazon.co.uk : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basmatireis-Indian-Gate-Pack-Sella/dp/B00NUC6I1U

You might want to hunt around for a much smaller pack, as this one is huge (at 5 kilos!) :wacko: 

To cook basmati rice and avoid the damn thing from turning into a blob, my mom recommends first getting the proportion of uncooked rice, right. She uses 1 cup of uncooked rice for 2 people and 1.5 cups of uncooked rice for 3 people (that is half a cup of uncooked rice per person). 

Once she has decided on how many cups of cooked rice are required, she soaks the rice in plain water (you will need 1 and a half cups of plain water at room temperature) for as long as 3 hours - she does this in order to reduce the cooking time. According to my mom, this reduction in cooking time, effectively prevents the rice grains from sticking together and gives the grains a better texture. 

Pre-soaking the uncooked rice, also reduces the amount of water required to pressure cook it. While cooking basmati rice for 3 people, my mom (after soaking the uncooked rice), uses half a cup of room temperature water to pressure cook it. I have noticed that my mom uses 1 and a half cups of water, while cooking basmati rice for 4 to 6 people.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :) 

Edited to add: I was watching the Australian version of My Kitchen Rules the other day and two contestants (who were a team called the NSW Poms) were from the UK (they had moved to Sydney, awhile ago) and to me, those blokes are the best contestants this season, as they really know their stuff around the kitchen and never fail to impress with their dishes! So, I was thinking: how fantastic it would be if you, CP and Mrs. CP participated in the UK version of MKR! I bet my last dollar that you guys will definitely win!! :D 

Thanks Kiwi. Altogether that's fine but we don't have pressure cooker. It's back to 1 cup rice 2 cups water and boil then turn heat down to the lowest setting and pray method.:D

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Thanks Kiwi. Altogether that's fine but we don't have pressure cooker. It's back to 1 cup rice 2 cups water and boil then turn heat down to the lowest setting and pray method.:D

CP, that's how I cook rice, and  I make it often. Once water boils, I turn heat to medium until most of the water boils away, then cover and turn heat to lowest setting. And never ever stir. My rice of choice is jasmine. ;) 

38 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

CP, that's how I cook rice, and  I make it often. Once water boils, I turn heat to medium until most of the water boils away, then cover and turn heat to lowest setting. And never ever stir. My rice of choice is jasmine. ;) 

Jasmine rice is, i think, easier as it is quite sticky in it's nature. I do prefer Thai rice but Mrs CP is a Basmati girl. The net is awash with methods. One I tried was so bad that even the birds refused to eat it. I am going for soak and wash the rice to get rid of the starch. Place in pan and boil with cover on until the water has been absorbed - no stirring and no salt. Or failing that Chapatis ;)

42 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

One I tried was so bad that even the birds refused to eat it.

Another rice rule is no high heat (after initial boil).  I learned the hard way, and there is no recovering from burnt rice!!  Birds would definitely refuse that as well! :P 

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

You should definitely get one, CP! You won't struggle any longer, with nailing basmati rice. It will really come in handy! I will be lost without it, to be honest! 

On 4/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, Ddladner said:

Have a craving to make hot cross buns.  Never even had them but must have them now.  Googled the recipe and learned that they are a Good Friday food.  I cannot wait a whole year! ;) 

Do I use raisins or cranberries. :Thinking:

Oh DD. One of my old time favs. This delightful cinnamon and fruit bun is just peachy smothered in butter. Once toasted, these delights make your home smell wonderful. I occasionally have one after golf. Yummy.

To celebrate the, ahem, queenies birthday, I am preparing a couple of dishes very close to hers and that clueless hubbies heart. Sausage with sauerkraut for her and a moussaka for him.

Actually I have done a butter chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala if you want to be British. This traditional Amritsar classic will be suitably accompanied by a Naan bread. A white chocolate Tiramisu will finish the proceedings admirably 

On 4/22/2016 at 7:37 AM, Ddladner said:

Have a craving to make hot cross buns.  Never even had them but must have them now.  Googled the recipe and learned that they are a Good Friday food.  I cannot wait a whole year! ;) 

Do I use raisins or cranberries. :Thinking:

I'm a raisin guy, myself.

Dd, in the spirit of culinary goodwill, in return for Kiwi's rice recipe, I think you should share with Kiwi your favourite "red beans & rice" recipe.

On April 23, 2016 at 10:35 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Oh DD. One of my old time favs. This delightful cinnamon and fruit bun is just peachy smothered in butter. Once toasted, these delights make your home smell wonderful. I occasionally have one after golf. Yummy. 

Thanks, CP.  I will remember to butter the buns and will let you know how they turn out.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I'm a raisin guy, myself.

Dd, in the spirit of culinary goodwill, in return for Kiwi's rice recipe, I think you should share with Kiwi your favourite "red beans & rice" recipe.

I couldn't decide between raisins and cranberries, and bought cranberries. I'm already regretting it.

For anyone interested, here is the recipe I use for red beans and rice and it is a winner, I tell ya! It has the perfect seasonings, including the mandatory holy trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery) for all great Cajun recipes. Some notes:

- I soak the beans overnight.  I use andouille sausage and the whole bell pepper (you can't have too much and why throw half of it away). I don't use cheese on the red beans (have never seen it served that way either, although it may be ok). I serve over rice with hot sauce, Crystal is my favorite.  

image.thumb.png.7db027a2b5a101ff58d7f311

Btw, my life hack is that I keep pics of all my favorite recipes on my phone in an album called Recipes. This makes it easy to share recipes and easy to pull up at the grocery store. :) 

44 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

Btw, my life hack is that I keep pics of all my favorite recipes on my phone in an album called Recipes. This makes it easy to share recipes and easy to pull up at the grocery store. :) 

That is a fabulous idea!  If I ever cooked, I'd do that... ;)