BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:03 AM, chillumpuffer said:

A stout breakfast this morning:

A kipper fillet, poached egg, beans. Toast and OJ

My gawd, man...you filleted poor kipper?!? :o

So that's why I haven't seen him around here anymore.

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 6:29 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

¡Ay, caramba! Alligator????!! Really?! As in the creepy, ugly and scary reptile that sometimes invades people's homes?! :huh:  Damn, Strider! My respect and admiration for you, just grew exponentially! You're kinda bad ass (if you don't mind my saying it!)  :notworthy:Care to appear on the show called Bizarre Foods? ;) 

I thought that my dad was a total bad ass, when he ate a dish at a restaurant in Beijing, whose literal translation in English, was Pig's Brain, but you, sir, have taken it to a whole new level! I applaud you, man! 

Easy now, Kiwi...it's not as if I killed the alligator with my bare hands. Plus, it's like Walter says, alligator(and other exotic meats) are readily available if you know where to look. I have had alligator chili, alligator tacos, and grilled alligator tail. In fact, in the past year I have also had ostrich, elk, venison, buffalo, turtle, wild boar...but no pig's brains.

But I did try cow's heart once.

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:03 AM, chillumpuffer said:

A stout breakfast this morning:

A kipper fillet, poached egg, beans. Toast and OJ

I'll see your stout breakfast and raise ya' a good ol' American breakfast: Country ham and cheddar cheese omelette with salsa, grilled potatoes, sourdough toast, coffee and oj.

20160214_085957.thumb.jpg.494ed5e77da264

3 minutes ago, Strider said:

"Flavoured stout"? Not sure I like the sound of that...flavoured with what, ebk?

The things stout should be flavored with - coffee and chocolate! 

"What we’ve got here is an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates, then cave-aged in oak bourbon barrels for an entire year to make sure wonderful bourbon undertones come through in the finish. Makes your taste buds squeal with delight "

I've never had this, because it's impossible to find here, but I've heard it's the best.

48 minutes ago, ebk said:

The things stout should be flavored with - coffee and chocolate! 

"What we’ve got here is an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates, then cave-aged in oak bourbon barrels for an entire year to make sure wonderful bourbon undertones come through in the finish. Makes your taste buds squeal with delight "

I've never had this, because it's impossible to find here, but I've heard it's the best.

Sounds heavenly to me!

:yesnod:

On 2/14/2016 at 10:28 PM, Strider said:

Easy now, Kiwi...it's not as if I killed the alligator with my bare hands. Plus, it's like Walter says, alligator(and other exotic meats) are readily available if you know where to look. I have had alligator chili, alligator tacos, and grilled alligator tail. In fact, in the past year I have also had ostrich, elk, venison, buffalo, turtle, wild boar...but no pig's brains.

On 2/13/2016 at 11:20 PM, Walter said:

Alligator isn't that uncommon, kiwi.  Down here you can find it many places.  Pigs brain, on the other hand, is something I don't see me coming into contact - ever. :blink::lol:  

Had some of Mrs. Walter's homemade banana bread earlier, with coffee - too good! :yesnod: 

Yes, well, I guess Pig's Brain is as common in China as Alligator seems to be common in the U.S! I'm definitely staying away from both! That's for sure! Sheesh! :wacko::lol: 

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Yes, well, I guess Pig's Brain is as common in China as Alligator seems to be common in the U.S! I'm definitely staying away from both! That's for sure! Sheesh! :wacko::lol: 

Kiwi, alligator (as the saying goes) tastes like chicken.  Or maybe it's frog legs that taste like chicken. :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner this evening:

Corn on the cob

Lamb Tagine - I am marinating lamb neck fillets in Moroccan spices as I type. Then slow cooked in a rich stew of onions,garlic,saffron,honey and apricots and more herbs and  spices. Rice on the side

Fresh raspberries and vanilla ice cream

I scored a couple of red wines from Portugal's Douro region at the airport in Portugal on Thursday so will open one for this warm and wonderful dish.

A joint or two of my green

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:19 AM, Strider said:

Ham and eggs and grits and toast. The best ham in L.A.

20160219_093520.thumb.jpg.84e5fdd0d95878

GRITS!?
Grits in Los Angeles, California?

Good stuff. Real butter, salt and pepper.
Glad y'all are evolving, Strider...

On 2/14/2016 at 11:58 AM, Strider said:

I've had a number of these as well and when I had alligator it was in Florida and were gator cakes which were quite good served with sweet dipping sauces.

On 3/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, jabe said:

GRITS!?
Grits in Los Angeles, California?

Good stuff. Real butter, salt and pepper.
Glad y'all are evolving, Strider...

I keep tellin' people...Los Angeles is an international foodie's dream. There are more regional and national cuisines than you can shake a stick at here. Every immigrant group brings its cuisine and adds it to the smorgasbord. Grits have been around in Los Angeles for as long as I can remember. Blacks and other migrants from the South established Soul and Deep South cooking here decades ago.

11 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I've had a number of these as well and when I had alligator it was in Florida and were gator cakes which were quite good served with sweet dipping sauces.

Try it in tacos with a mango-pineapple salsa...it's fab.

Happy National Cereal Day Paul!!!

The only one I know who loves cereal as much as pc is Calvin. Here are Calvin's 5 tips on what makes a perfect bowl of cereal.

http://blogs.gocomics.com/2016/03/5-elements-to-create-the-perfect-bowl-of-cereal-as-told-by-calvin.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=socialmarketing&utm_content=5elementstocreatetheperfectbowlofcerealastoldbycalvin-blog&utm_campaign=social

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Happy National Cereal Day Paul!!!

The only one I know who loves cereal as much as pc is Calvin. Here are Calvin's 5 tips on what makes a perfect bowl of cereal.

http://blogs.gocomics.com/2016/03/5-elements-to-create-the-perfect-bowl-of-cereal-as-told-by-calvin.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=socialmarketing&utm_content=5elementstocreatetheperfectbowlofcerealastoldbycalvin-blog&utm_campaign=social

Haha! Calvin is great!  As a kid, I ate cereal on school mornings, and while I was never a fan of colored cereal (I was a Rice Krispy gal, and occasionally Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charms), I can agree that adding sugar was a must, and the best part of the bowl was after the cereal was gone and you could scoop up a spoonful of sugar in the leftover milk. :D  I also picked my favorite cereal of the week based on who offered the best prizes. Funny how a little rub-on tattoo could mean so much, brilliant marketing! ;) 

2 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Haha! Calvin is great!  As a kid, I ate cereal on school mornings, and while I was never a fan of colored cereal (I was a Rice Krispy gal, and occasionally Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charms), I can agree that adding sugar was a must, and the best part of the bowl was after the cereal was gone and you could scoop up a spoonful of sugar in the leftover milk. :D  I also picked my favorite cereal of the week based on who offered the best prizes. Funny how a little rub-on tattoo could mean so much, brilliant marketing! ;) 

I was a Count Chocula kid myself. B) Tried a bowl a few years ago, found it wayyy to sweet. Now I enjoy the occasional bowl of Chocolate Cheerios. 

Edited by Sathington Willoughby