25 Greates Wah Solos

ledzepfvr

Didn't see any other topic on this but forgive me if it is somewhere else that eluded me. Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page come in at #17 on this list. What makes me happy too is the recognition of #13. I realize that lists are subjective to the people who are making the choices so take it with a grain of salt if you are not in agreement of the list

17. "Whole Lotta Love" — Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin II, 1969)

Soloist:

While much of the bizzare, alien soundscape in the middle section of "Whole Lotta Love" is directly attributable to Jimmy Page's groundbreaking use of backwards tape echo and Page and engineer Eddie Kramer "twiddling every knob known to man," the wah pedal does make an appearance, adding a valuable, extra dimension to Page's most otherworldly guitar work this side of the Lucifer Rising soundtrack.

http://www.guitarworld.com/pedal-metal-25-greatest-wah-solos-all-time?page=0,0

Whole Lotta Love should not be on the list because you can't really notice the wah very well but Trampled Underfoot should definitively be imo. And why on earth is Guitar Man not even on the list? That's the coolest, wahiest wah song in the world. Guitar World never fails to let me down. :unsure:

I like what Jimmy does in TSRTS during Dazed and Confused, just after the "Achilles last stand 2nd guitar part during solo" part of the solo, and a little before the bow comes in...

What? Achilles in TSRTS movie? Did I read this correctly? Are you referring to something else?

What? Achilles in TSRTS movie? Did I read this correctly? Are you referring to something else?

No, the guitar that plays underneath the epic solo in Achilles is played in TSRTS. Jimmy opens the solo with a run up a scale, goes for awhile, then goes back to those same runs, slows them down, then starts the Achilles part. You can see bonzo and Jones look at each other and roll their eyes or something at the turn it took. He plays this for a few minutes, then turns his wah on and does...something. After this, come the chords just before the bow comes in, with Robert shouting, "I Know!"

No, the guitar that plays underneath the epic solo in Achilles is played in TSRTS. Jimmy opens the solo with a run up a scale, goes for awhile, then goes back to those same runs, slows them down, then starts the Achilles part. You can see bonzo and Jones look at each other and roll their eyes or something at the turn it took. He plays this for a few minutes, then turns his wah on and does...something. After this, come the chords just before the bow comes in, with Robert shouting, "I Know!"

Will take a look at this. Sort of cool as this is more than two years before they put into a recording back in 1975 for Presence.

One of the best Wah Wah solos or bits is the end of Whole Lotta Love during the live versions, before Bonzo crashes his drums. Take a look at TSRTS version or any audio bootleg version thru the '73 U.S. tour. Some of the early versions Jimmy didn't do this, but I think, once they had the oldies medley as part of WLL, this Wah Wah part at the end was included. Probably so.

Will take a look at this. Sort of cool as this is more than two years before they put into a recording back in 1975 for Presence.

One of the best Wah Wah solos or bits is the end of Whole Lotta Love during the live versions, before Bonzo crashes his drums. Take a look at TSRTS version or any audio bootleg version thru the '73 U.S. tour. Some of the early versions Jimmy didn't do this, but I think, once they had the oldies medley as part of WLL, this Wah Wah part at the end was included. Probably so.

I remember the first time I noticed the part, and thought the same thing, about how strange it was at they had that riff years before they used it in a song on an album. Think of Robert going "ahh ahhh ahhh AHHH ahhh ahh ahhh...."

I agree on Whole Lotta Love, too.

Just took a listen of that from TSRTS. Just never realized that it became part of ALS. I guess Jimmy had that vision for this monumental song a bit back then. Pretty cool and thanks for sharing and coming up with that. Not sure, if this has been mentioned before, but will give credit to you for now.

Just took a listen of that from TSRTS. Just never realized that it became part of ALS. I guess Jimmy had that vision for this monumental song a bit back then. Pretty cool and thanks for sharing and coming up with that. Not sure, if this has been mentioned before, but will give credit to you for now.

I'm a new member, compared to others, but I'm sure it has been brought up at some point. It is definitely one of the cooler guitar parts in that solo IMO, and it really sets the stage for the wah part I originally mentioned.

I'm a new member, compared to others, but I'm sure it has been brought up at some point. It is definitely one of the cooler guitar parts in that solo IMO, and it really sets the stage for the wah part I originally mentioned.

IMHO, it is JImmy's best solo ever! No doubt! Many here would certainly agree! I guess, somewhat of a bold statement on my part, but I've never heard one that is as intricate, complex and creative as this. Not sure how to describe it, but I guess this will do.

The Stairway, WLL and Heartbreaker solos are always mentioned as his best from the various media sources, but to me this is his apex. How do you out do this, Always did "like" the solo from Heartbreaker on II, but the live versions were always so much better. Especially, from the 1971 tour. Berkeley (Going To California boot) especially. Just amazing. Actually, my second favorite solo may be, For Your Life. Funny, how the two are back to back on the same album.

Unfortunately, I never felt Jimmy could closely equal the solo for ALS in the live versions on the Zeppelin tours. Even during their best gigs of '77. It was always a bit sloppy and never got there. Although, he got close on the Page/Plant tour of 1995, when it was played just a couple of times in the beginning of the tour. Great version from Atlanta.

Here it is:

Hope you enjoy this!

IMHO, it is JImmy's best solo ever! No doubt! Many here would certainly agree! I guess, somewhat of a bold statement on my part, but I've never heard one that is as intricate, complex and creative as this. Not sure how to describe it, but I guess this will do.

The Stairway, WLL and Heartbreaker solos are always mentioned as his best from the various media sources, but to me this is his apex. How do you out do this, Always did "like" the solo from Heartbreaker on II, but the live versions were always so much better. Especially, from the 1971 tour. Berkeley (Going To California boot) especially. Just amazing. Actually, my second favorite solo may be, For Your Life. Funny, how the two are back to back on the same album.

Unfortunately, I never felt Jimmy could closely equal the solo for ALS in the live versions on the Zeppelin tours. Even during their best gigs of '77. It was always a bit sloppy and never got there. Although, he got close on the Page/Plant tour of 1995, when it was played just a couple of times in the beginning of the tour. Great version from Atlanta.

Here it is:

Hope you enjoy this!

Fantastic!, thanks SuperDave. I was at this show!! God, seems just like yesterday. I've never saw any footage of this. Micheal Lee was incredible on this as well. Hard to believe he's no longer with us. As to parts of Achilles popping up in Dazed and Confused from TSRTS, the movement that ends up being the bridge part in Achilles is played while Robert is singing the San Francisco bit. Also, if you listen very closely you can hear the riff that later became the main riff in NFBM. A lot of Page's best songs ideas just kind of popped up when they were creating on the spot. Bonham and JPJ were just so talented and this allowed Page the freedom to basically try anything he wanted to within a given framework. To me, this is really what set Zeppelin apart from most other live bands. Sorry if I've strayed off topic.

Edited by grecko1

Pretty cool that those two songs from Presence evolved out of this. Amazing! I'm jealous that you got to see ALS performed live. Wish I had. Saw the tour later that year in April in the Meadowlands in NJ and in October in NYCs MSG. Still great without ALS.

You didn't stray off at all and is just being quite observant.

Edited by SuperDave

What...no Brian May?

GW's credibility has taken a hit with their recent Greatest Guitarist fiasco, so it's amusing to see them rush another 'Greatest...' list out there. I have to give them props for including two perennially overlooked guitarists in this list: Terry Kath and Eddie Hazel.

"Voodoo Child" is the boring, safe pick for #1...prefer Jimi's "Machine Gun" myself. But I think EVERYBODY knew it was gonna be "Voodoo Child".

Some of my favourite moments from Zeppelin concerts were when Jimmy stomped on his wah wah pedal. In particular, during "No Quarter", "Trampled Under Foot" and "Dazed and Confused", especially at the end of the song.

As for the "San Francisco" part of "Dazed and Confused", that has been recognized as a part later used in "Achilles Last Stand" ever since "The Song Remains the Same" was released in 1976 after "Presence" came out earlier that year. A couple reviews even made reference to it...and it has been acknowledged and discussed here at length.

It's interesting to see what pic's you all would put on the list. There are so many great songs out there for our listening pleasure that could be picked if the list was being compiled by a different panel.

Strider....the list is specific to songs done by the artists. Which particular song that Brian May did would you put on the list?

Strider....the list is specific to songs done by the artists. Which particular song that Brian May did would you put on the list?

Actually, I was making a joking reference to the way Brian May swept through the recent Guitar World poll...beating the likes of Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix. As this latest list is also from Guitar World, I couldn't resist a little dig.

To tell you the truth, I couldn't really name a wah wah solo by Brian May off-hand...maybe "Keep Yourself Alive"? Is there wah wah on that? His tone is such that it often seems he keeps his wah activated all the time.

Dave Navarro used to do the same with Jane's Addiction...he played thru his wah wah a lot, even when he wasn't actually stomping on the pedal with his foot.

Edited by Strider

Actually, I was making a joking reference to the way Brian May swept through the recent Guitar World poll...beating the likes of Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix. As this latest list is also from Guitar World, I couldn't resist a little dig.

To tell you the truth, I couldn't really name a wah wah solo by Brian May off-hand...maybe "Keep Yourself Alive"? Is there wah wah on that? His tone is such that it often seems he keeps his wah activated all the time.

Dave Navarro used to do the same with Jane's Addiction...he played thru his wah wah a lot, even when he wasn't actually stomping on the pedal with his foot.

That's the song I was thinking of, but I'm not sure that there is a wah sound in it. It has a phasing effect in the intro, however that is achieved with the guitar. I do like that song.

I would certainly pick "I Want to Break Free" from Wembley ... the original solo on the studio version, so untypical for Queen, was a synth - but live Brian did it with a wah-wah, which sounds really funny. Brian doesn't really use the wah very often, and the settings on his Vox AC-30 amps are basically borrowed straight from Rory Gallagher although the guitar of course is different than anybody else's (he has used a Telecaster occasionally though).

As for Jimmy. the July 28, 1973 performance of No Quarter is the obvious choice.

Edited by Otto Masson

I'd like to add..

Junior's Eyes - Black Sabbath

One of the few bright spots on Never Say Die.

Iommi's wah is the key part of the riff and melody.

Too Rolling Stoned - The amazing Robin Trower.

Again, the wah is part of the riff.

All along The Watchtower - Hendrix version

The opening phrase in the guitar solo is my favorite thing Hendrix ever played.