Led Zeppelin are back on the US charts

ZEPFAN17

Led Zeppelin IV re-enters Billboard 200 album chart after 25 years

Led%2BZeppelin%2BIV.cover.jpg

Led Zeppelin are back on the US charts.

Billboard./biz reports that “Led Zeppelin IV” has re-entered the Billboard 200 charts for the first time since 1987.

With sales last week of around 3,600 copies, Zep IV is sitting at #166 on the list, having previously spent 260 weeks on the chart.

The classic 1971 album is up 273% in overall sales and 654% in downloads.

The resurgence may be attributed to the album’s 40th Anniversary on November 8, which received widespread media attention…and then there’s the price: it’s only $5.99 at AmazonMP3 and $6.99 at iTunes.

"Led Zeppelin IV" is the third best-selling album of all time in the U.S., with cumulative sales of more than 23 million.

Led Zeppelin IV re-enters Billboard 200 album chart after 25 years

Led%2BZeppelin%2BIV.cover.jpg

Led Zeppelin are back on the US charts.

Billboard./biz reports that “Led Zeppelin IV” has re-entered the Billboard 200 charts for the first time since 1987.

With sales last week of around 3,600 copies, Zep IV is sitting at #166 on the list, having previously spent 260 weeks on the chart.

The classic 1971 album is up 273% in overall sales and 654% in downloads.

The resurgence may be attributed to the album’s 40th Anniversary on November 8, which received widespread media attention…and then there’s the price: it’s only $5.99 at AmazonMP3 and $6.99 at iTunes.

"Led Zeppelin IV" is the third best-selling album of all time in the U.S., with cumulative sales of more than 23 million.

Great find JOHNNYROCKER!

This is indeed great news and testament to the beauty which is Zeppelin...which is a far cry from the 80's! As much as I love the 80's and 80's music, the one blight on that era is the absolute HATRED for anything Zeppelin on any radio station other than the oldies. I guess there was such a major backlash, for what reason I have not a clue, that the media and popular culture tried like mythical Ahab to erase the memory of Zeppelin.

Well, the 90's came and brought the new culture to it's senses, once again the mighty Zeppelin ruled the land and all was right in the world. I truly believe, 500 years from now Zeppelin will still be relevant and appreciated while all others will simply become historical footnotes in the great book of history.

To Zeppelin IV, HUZZA!!! And cheers to a magnificent work of art and a true masterpiece of musical brilliance!

Edited by Sagittarius Rising

This is indeed great news and testament to the beauty which is Zeppelin...which is a far cry from the 80's! As much as I love the 80's and 80's music, the one blight on that era is the absolute HATRED for anything Zeppelin on any radio station other than the oldies. I guess there was such a major backlash, for what reason I have not a clue, that the media and popular culture tried like mythical Ahab to erase the memory of Zeppelin.

Well, the 90's came and brought the new culture to it's senses, once again the mighty Zeppelin ruled the land and all was right in the world. I truly believe, 500 years from now Zeppelin will still be relevant and appreciated while all others will simply become historical footnotes in the great book of history.

To Zeppelin IV, HUZZA!!! And cheers to a magnificent work of art and a true masterpiece of musical brilliance!

There wasn't hatred for Led Zeppelin during the 80's! Although I hate all the hairband crap, all those bands borrowed whatever they could from Led Zeppelin.

Magazines like Rolling Stone went out of their way to praise Led Zeppelin during this time.

Don't know what generation you grew up in, but your way off on this. If anything, Led Zeppelin was despised during the time punk was taking off, and that was in the mid to late 70's.

Edited by Amstel

There wasn't hatred for Led Zeppelin during the 80's! Although I hate all the hairband crap, all those bands borrowed whatever they could from Led Zeppelin.

Magazines like Rolling Stone went out of their way to praise Led Zeppelin during this time.

Don't know what generation you grew up in, but your way off on this. If anything, Led Zeppelin was despised during the time punk was taking off, and that was in the mid to late 70's.

Rolling Stone Magazine? are you taking the piss? They were the most inaccurate of all the magazines around the time of Led Zeppelin. By the way Led Zeppelin weren't around as a band throughout the 80s, they finished on Dec 4 1980.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

I think one might say that rock 'n' roll music is at stalemate, at most. But, from what I can see nowadays, it seems like this isn't true for Led Zeppelin. The reason was written in the post #3:

the music still sells, it still charts, the most demanded ticket in music history at the O2, Page, Jones, and Jason believe they have what it takes to prove the critics wrong

As I did not live during the 80s, my question is "why were LZ hated in the 80s, if ever this statement was true?"

I think one might say that rock 'n' roll music is at stalemate, at most. But, from what I can see nowadays, it seems like this isn't true for Led Zeppelin. The reason was written in the post #3:

As I did not live during the 80s, my question is "why were LZ hated in the 80s, if ever this statement was true?"

Because there wasn't any. Zeppelin became a non-entity once they officially called it quits and with solo work from Robert, there was no thought of a future. Then 'The Honeydrippers' came and was HUGE, mainly because of Plant and Page together again. Then Live Aid a couple of years later started the whole reunion tour thing all over again. From that point on, it has been obvious how much Zeppelin is still loved, respected and wanted by music fans around the world.

So proud to have been a Zeppelin faithful fan for many decades (one short of seeing them together :(), especially right now with the current revival and honours being received.

:peace:

Rolling Stone Magazine? are you taking the piss? They were the most inaccurate of all the magazines around the time of Led Zeppelin. By the way Led Zeppelin weren't around as a band throughout the 80s, they finished on Dec 4 1980.

I know your not talking to me!

I know Rolling Stone Magazine hated Led Zeppelin throughout their career, but that wasn't the case in the 80's. And yes, more than anyone, I know they seized to exist after 12/4/80.

BTW, Reading is a skill. Where in my post does it say Led Zeppelin was active in the 80's? Read the F'n question!

My point is this - everyone went out of their way to give Led Zeppelin praise after they called it a day. Throughout the 80's, magaziines that weren't kind to Led zeppelin started to kiss their ass. Led Zeppelin was all over magazine covers during the 80's. Hairbands patterned their excesses around what Led Zeppelin did.

Again, read the post that I was responding to!

Edited by Amstel

I know your not talking to me!

I know Rolling Stone Magazine hated Led Zeppelin throughout their career, but that wasn't the case in the 80's. And yes, more than anyone, I know they seized to exist after 12/4/80.

BTW, Reading is a skill. Where in my post does it say Led Zeppelin was active in the 80's? Read the F'n question!

My point is this - everyone went out of their way to give Led Zeppelin praise after they called it a day. Throughout the 80's, magaziines that weren't kind to Led zeppelin started to kiss their ass. Led Zeppelin was all over magazine covers during the 80's. Hairbands patterned their excesses around what Led Zeppelin did.

Again, read the post that I was responding to!

.....writing is a skill also BTW Amstel......"seized to exist"????

LOL, you got me!

...I didn't get you...just an observation...anyway it might be me next time, who "gets gotten", with my grammar and spelling mistakes...I've read a lot of your posts. You are definitely a passionate person with regards to the band and you know your shit. No denying it Amstel. Just hope you will continue to make friends around here. We're all different but we all love the band...peace.

Since 1988 Rolling Stone have done nothing but praised Led Zeppelin. It's hard to not find a copy of a single issue since then that hasn't compared some band or a song to Zeppelin in nothing but positive to glowing terms, nevermind Zeppelin themselves. It's time to give the 70's Rolling Stone stuff a rest as over the last 25 years they have acknowledged Led Zeppelin as the gold standard of hard rock.

All this bickering yet nobody has seemed to realize that the OP has started a thread about a story that is OVER a year old.

Did no one catch the line about Nov. 8 being the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin IV? Led Zeppelin IV was released in 1971 and THIS story is from Nov. 18 2011...and it was duly noted and commented on here last year when it occurred.

Led Zeppelin IV has not re-entered the Billboard 200 this year...it's a non-event and a non-issue.

Led Zeppelin IV has not re-entered the Billboard 200 this year...it's a non-event and a non-issue.

True Strider, but I woudn't be surprised if Zeppelin IV did enter the Billboard charts again, especially with the Celebration Day release this year. Zeppelin IV along with Pink Floyd DSOTM, and Jackson's Thriller more than any other classic albums out there will continue to garner new fans as time goes on for their innovation, timelessness, and brilliance, imo. :)

I think I get what you're saying. Something happened to music (or a good chunk of it) in the 1980's and most of it wasn't pretty, imho. You had your club scene and I assure you they were never going to be playing Led Zeppelin...Culture Club, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Madonna, SOS band, oh yes, but no Zep.

As I recall radio took a turn for the worse too (at least in my area) as you had them playing Thriller, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney, Men at Work, and WHAM!, etc. constantly. I sure don't remember much, if any Zep from those supposed "Rock" FM channels of the 1980's. You might hear In the Mood or Big Log, but not Black Dog. I don't recall hatred for the band. No, it was more like not the proper recognition during that decade. This is just my own observation, which brings me to my final point. I blame a lot of that lack of recognition and airplay for Led Zeppelin (as well as many other great 70's bands, especially the prog ones like Pink Floyd) on the rise and thankfully eventual fall of this..............

MTV!!!