Would the O2 feedback problems ruin a DVD release?

I had a thought on this:

1. the feedback would be on Roberts mike and not much of that would be picked up by the other mics

2. you can bet that the intrumental multitrack from the board or even from "before the board" is clean

3. there is a technique used when eliminating a sound from a part where by you make an exact copy of the feed back sound and play it right along side the offending noise on a new track and since they are the same exact sound they will cancle each other out. its called "phase sync elimination". this approach can be used to take out a few of the most annoying squeels.

shit they can even speed it up and pitch it up no prob

they could take a couple riffs from the rehearsal without much effort

the whole Garden Tapes breakdown thing was much more difficult in the 70's

from what I have heard they are in possesion of some fine audio,,,,certainly this will not hamper the soundtrack to a newDVD

I really really hope no time is being wasted trying to fix some feedback. It was IN THE EVENT. I actually WANT it!

I hope we're not back to the mid-seventies days where Macca and Zep competed to see who could take the longest (it was a draw at three years each) to fret over the sound on their respective concert movies.

Shake it loose, muthafuckaz!

Let's see the warts an' all.

I WANT THOSE FUCKING FEEDBACKS TOO and IN 5.1 SOUND WITH EXTRA BASS AND A LOT OF FUCKING PUBLIC NOISE!!!!

AND I WANT A DVD LOADED WITH CRUNCHES AND NOISES OF ALL GENRES

BUT I WANT A DVD OF THIS BEST BAND EVER SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS IT CLEAR?!!

I will NEVER HAVE THE OCCASION TO SEE THIS BAND LIVE

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET'S WAIT FOR THE DVD§!!

I am presently preparing my computer to record the gigi from this radio

http://www.94wysp.com/#

And then we wiil see if there was soooooooooooooooooooo much noise.

LOVE YA ALL BOYS AND GIRLS

Artur

I WANT THOSE FUCKING FEEDBACKS TOO and IN 5.1 SOUND WITH EXTRA BASS AND A LOT OF FUCKING PUBLIC NOISE!!!!

AND I WANT A DVD LOADED WITH CRUNCHES AND NOISES OF ALL GENRES

BUT I WANT A DVD OF THIS BEST BAND EVER SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS IT CLEAR?!!

I will NEVER HAVE THE OCCASION TO SEE THIS BAND LIVE

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET'S WAIT FOR THE DVD§!!

I am presently preparing my computer to record the gigi from this radio

http://www.94wysp.com/#

And then we wiil see if there was soooooooooooooooooooo much noise.

LOVE YA ALL BOYS AND GIRLS

Artur

I think somebody needs to calm down.

I am enjoying the clips of the Zeppelin O2 reunion like everyone else, but there are constant feedback bursts thoughout the whole show, worst on GTBT, but recurring frequently even as late as STH (I'm assuming it was coming from the vocal mike). I know there is tons of technology to studio-ize a gig for DVD, but I'm not so sure they can get rid of all the feedback without re-touching up Plant's vocals, which is a can of worms they may not want to get into. Do you guys think this will present of a problem for a potential DVD release? I'm thinking that this may be a problem, especially since they know it will sell huge. I'm a bit worried that the feedback may have ruined the direct recording, for example, even on the nice sounding direct, clean, punchy, mixed pro-shot clip on the BBC TV news, the feedback was still very apparent (Black Dog), although the other instruments sounded killer. I know lots of top acts (Rush, Eagles, etc) use In-Ear monitors to avoid monitor feedback and to hear themselves better, you would think they would have this issue licked in 2007, I mean, they do sell high-tech "feedback eliminator" processors, I wonder what the problem was. Does anyone want to comment?

Please don't say it's so!!!!! :( I was just thinking that they will probably release the show as a DVD because it's been long waiting for them to return the Mothership high in the air once again & for them to play Ramble On Live is a rare thing I have tons of boots some good quality and poor but I don't think they had played Ramble On much if any at all. Damn the sound guy should be shot LOL just kidding but if that is true what a shame.

I had a thought on this:

1. the feedback would be on Roberts mike and not much of that would be picked up by the other mics

2. you can bet that the intrumental multitrack from the board or even from "before the board" is clean

3. there is a technique used when eliminating a sound from a part where by you make an exact copy of the feed back sound and play it right along side the offending noise on a new track and since they are the same exact sound they will cancle each other out. its called "phase sync elimination". this approach can be used to take out a few of the most annoying squeels.

You've got the right idea but it's not an identical track next to the feedback, it's a frequency that is 180 degrees out of phase with the feedback frequency. The same sound wouldn't cancel out, it would be louder. A frequency 180 out of phase would cancel it out. Nowadays they don't do it with copying tracks either, they use software that analyzes the frequency you want to remove then generates a waveform 180 degrees out of phase with what you want to get rid of. Works great for noise reduction.

Also there is no way the multi track from this is from the soundboard, when they record these things they bring in a totally separate rig to cut with. Otherwise there would be fluctuations in the levels all over the tapes as the FOH guy rides the faders. Most likely there were separate mics for everything going into the recording mixer and recorder (just like on TSRTS movie, you can see the extra mics)

The biggest problem will be getting the feedback out of the audience 'room' mics, but some eq and clever trickery you'll hardly notice it.

Won't hold up the DVD at all. But still don't expect to see it till June.

You've got the right idea but it's not an identical track next to the feedback, it's a frequency that is 180 degrees out of phase with the feedback frequency. The same sound wouldn't cancel out, it would be louder. A frequency 180 out of phase would cancel it out. Nowadays they don't do it with copying tracks either, they use software that analyzes the frequency you want to remove then generates a waveform 180 degrees out of phase with what you want to get rid of. Works great for noise reduction.

Also there is no way the multi track from this is from the soundboard, when they record these things they bring in a totally separate rig to cut with. Otherwise there would be fluctuations in the levels all over the tapes as the FOH guy rides the faders. Most likely there were separate mics for everything going into the recording mixer and recorder (just like on TSRTS movie, you can see the extra mics)

The biggest problem will be getting the feedback out of the audience 'room' mics, but some eq and clever trickery you'll hardly notice it.

Won't hold up the DVD at all. But still don't expect to see it till June.

The audience mics can be easily handled, that's definitely not an issue that would put in question the release of a DVD. The problem is whether only Robert's mic picked up feedback...

Anyways if they really wanted to release the concert on DVD, they would certainly find a way to correct all imperfections that matter [to Jimmy Page mostly].

The audience mics can be easily handled, that's definitely not an issue that would put in question the release of a DVD. The problem is whether only Robert's mic picked up feedback...

Anyways if they really wanted to release the concert on DVD, they would certainly find a way to correct all imperfections that matter [to Jimmy Page mostly].

Protools!!!

Shouldn't the sound engineers be able to write or rewrite the individual tracks ?

Like the sound engineers do in the Studio ?

Any Thoughts ?

Shit ! This is BULLSHIT !

Page was the prince of the good sound ! It's a pity that this concert was ruined with Feedback ! :(

I attend recently 2 concerts of Plant & Strange Sensations and it was pretty good ! The concert in Lyon was ABSOLUTELY great (thank you Plant for saying "I will live in France now : Tony Blair sold my cpuntry to G.W.Bush !", so funny !!!) !

I saw Page & Plant, with Jason in Paris in 1999 and they were REALLY GOOD !

So...what happened ? I know the answer : there are just like in the old times...they are bullshit one night out of 3 ! Mistake is human, you know. And finally, it is good to know that they can failed sometimes !!!!

Anyway, thank you Robert for being always so friendly ! I don't think that you are the better musician of this band, but you are definitely the one I prefer ! (even if Jason seems to be great also : I was amazed by his capacity to play his father's solo as a last song in Bercy 1999...absolutely marvellous !)

If there was feedback during singing, there's no way of getting rid of it. Somebody might think there is but what you heard on that broadcast was what went through the board. If there were dual feeds for the guitar (mic/direct) it'll be POSSIBLE but not necessarily PREFERABLE to momentarily switch these. But if there was Plant voice during feedback, it has to stay.

Actually if Jimmy goes ahead and gets busy in his shed with this for the next four years, ultimately putting out something which replaces the feedback with sonic tilt-a-whirls that sound like a cassette tape is being chewed, I'm going to dub some fucking feedback BACK ON, burn it to wax cylinder and put it through his front window,

Nurse! My restraints have loosened again!

I'm with the "make a copy of offending noise and cancel it out" people.

I think a search should start with Jason Bonham's drum vocal track.

My ears are telling me the feedback is initiated by cymbal hits getting picked up by headphone mounted vocal mic, perhaps via drum monitor. See "For Your Life"

Archived