Led Zeppelin Fan Documentary

TheLastSpartan

Okay, so I've had this idea swimming around in my head for the past few days. Basically, the idea is is that fans come together and use their knowledge, pictures and videos to make a highly detail documentary on Led Zeppelin. I am not really sure if any documentaries exist, I'm sure there is at least one or a few, but this fan made one would be as accurate as possible, being made by die hard fans and such. This isn't necessarily a thread on "Lets do it guys!", but more of a throwing around of the idea of such a thing. The use? To introduce people to Led Zeppelin, they want to learn more, show em' the video, plus it would give the fans something fun to do while we wait for those re-releases of the catalog with bonus tracks, and who knows, maybe the Led Zeppelin guys would take notice if we did it well enough and got enough views. So, what do you guys think? Also, it could have guest speakers alongside the main speakers, like some people who witness them first hand, them tell their concert experiences, what it was like and such.

I think I can sense the excitement and passion in your words and i agree that this may be a pretty cool idea. There are a lot more people on this site that know alot more about the band than I. However, I don't think i have ever seen/heard of a documentary about the band from a fans perspective. That's very intriguing.

I love the band as much as anyone, but having never seen them live, I live vicariously/and dreamily through the recounts of Strider, Deborah J, Rick and others, who actually saw them in their day.

But reading their words leaves out the "humaness" of seeing their faces while they talk about their experiences. That would add to the story for me the viewer. I would buy a documentary like the one I think you are talking about if it was ever made, not that, that should be your motivation......... I'm just saying that i think you are on to something...Keep going.....you never know....Good Luck TLS.

Ps. Where the heck did Amstel go?

I think I can sense the excitement and passion in your words and i agree that this may be a pretty cool idea. There are a lot more people on this site that know alot more about the band than I. However, I don't think i have ever seen/heard of a documentary about the band from a fans perspective. That's very intriguing.

I love the band as much as anyone, but having never seen them live, I live vicariously/and dreamily through the recounts of Strider, Deborah J, Rick and others, who actually saw them in their day.

But reading their words leaves out the "humaness" of seeing their faces while they talk about their experiences. That would add to the story for me the viewer. I would buy a documentary like the one I think you are talking about if it was ever made, not that, that should be your motivation......... I'm just saying that i think you are on to something...Keep going.....you never know....Good Luck TLS.

Ps. Where the heck did Amstel go?

That is true, although I don't know if they would be willing, or have the means, to do a video of them talking about their experiences, but of course that is just the pessimist in my talking, haha. Thanks for the luck! I could do something with this perhaps, even if it takes baby steps.

It's a good shout, I'd love to help

Thanks! I will keep that in mind if I, or someone else, decides to do a take on this!

As far as another idea I had, it would be that the documentary is released in parts, like 68-72, 73-75, 77-79, and 80-today.

Waste of time. Led Zeppelin disbanded more than 30 years ago so:

1. Anyone under the age of 45 has nothing first-hand to contribute.

2. Anyone over the age of 45 won't remember too many specifics.

3. Aside from exceptionally unique personal experiences nobody really wants to hear a succession of fans anyway. I know I would be pressing the eject button two seconds after the first "OMG, they were so..."

3. Aside from exceptionally unique personal experiences nobody really wants to hear a succession of fans anyway. I know I would be pressing the eject button two seconds after the first "OMG, they were so..."

Bullshit!

Check out the timeline entries sometime. They seldom get beyond "I was there...great concert" or "OMG, they were so..."

You said "anyone", implying everybody.

Posts are misleading as not everyone is willing or able to type long protracted recollections but, that doesn't mean they don't have them.

While it may be a waste of time or dodgy, it would be interesting to see "fans" interviewed and tell their experiences and how the band influenced their musical tastes, personal life and so on.

As long as the interviewees could string more than two sentences together and all the gushing eliminated it could be very informative but most of all a bit of fun, nothing serious.

As a commercial release maybe not successful as you would need permission from the band to use images and / or audio and vision.

A very big and probably unrealistic ask, the only way it would possibly work (commercially), is if the band was somehow involved to interact if you like, via interviews with responses to the punters who were at certain gigs and the band recalled their thoughts on those particular shows too.

It would be nice to share something like this through the web or discs with other likeminded appreciators of this fine band, it could work.

I daresay it would be a long time in the making and we are talking in Zeppelin time!? ;)

Every idea in the history of mankind has probably had it;s share of detractors. TLS, I used the examples I did above , simply as examples. You never know, they may want to be involved, or may not....But I am sure there are a ton more Zep fans who saw the band that aren't members of this forum. They may have a story to tell.

Some may think your idea is a waste of time but who cares what they think. Do what you gotta do.

You said "anyone", implying everybody.

As long as the interviewees could string more than two sentences together and all the gushing eliminated it could be very informative but most of all a bit of fun, nothing serious.

Set up a webcam and tell it your story. Play it back. Count the specifics of likely interest to those who were not there.

How "informative" can a fan be seated in Section 213, Row W, Seat 7? Though the account could be fun I doubt it'll be very informative. However, if we're talking about a groupie documentary...

...is this for real?......."anyone over the age of 45 won't remember too many specifics"....c'mon, you can;t be serious? .......DId you see them live Steve?

anyone over the age of 45 won't remember too many specifics"....c'mon, you can't be serious?

I have no time for semantic arguments and beside, I've become truly excited by the prospects of this fan documentary project. In fact, while many here simply talk about producing it, I've already got my first two interview candidates lined up:

If somebody had the financial resources and time, it could be done properly. I'm sure tons of people who had something interesting to say would be found. Unfortunately, unless it was ok'd by the band, actual zep music couldn't be used. How long til anything is in the "public domain"?

I would love a Rush Beyond the Lighted Stage/Beatles Anthology type authorized documentary. That would be awesome but we all know it would take a miracle for that to be authorized. I'm sure a non authorized version could be real good, but without zep music and input from the guys it wouldn't be all it could be. The MTV rockumenary and the VH1 legends are pretty good, but only an hour which is not enough time to fully chronicle Zeppelin. Most things are stuff most of us know already and don't add anything new anymore.

If somebody had the financial resources and time, it could be done properly. I'm sure tons of people who had something interesting to say would be found.

Let's spend all that time & money on finding one person who can prove JPJ's (and other's) belief they performed in Las Vegas in 1969.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/4716-led-zeppelin-in-las-vegas/page__p__159277__hl__canandy__fromsearch__1#entry159277

I have no time for semantic arguments and beside, I've become truly excited by the prospects of this fan documentary project. In fact, while many here simply talk about producing it, I've already got my first two interview candidates lined up:

...well you seem to have some time on your hands lol....maybe you could just leave this topic...cheers pal

Steve A Jones, I disagree with you completely, I think TheLstSpartan was talking about the experience of seeing them live, not going through the quite frankly boring process of the track orders. I saw Led Zeppelin in 1971,1973 and 1975 each time was a unique experience unlike any other people I have seen in concert. So don't just Poo Poo the idea. I think it is a great idea. Maybe you never got to see them live in which case your comments would smack of jealousy. You go ahead TheLastSpartan I would be willing as I'm sure many more on this forum would to tell of their experiences of Led Zeppelin concerts, what they felt like atmosphere, excitement, the moment they walked on stage, and anything else that happened at the concert.For me, Liverpool Stadium 29 November 1971 will remain with me forever.

Steve A Jones, I disagree with you completely, I think TheLstSpartan was talking about the experience of seeing them live, not going through the quite frankly boring process of the track orders. I saw Led Zeppelin in 1971,1973 and 1975 each time was a unique experience unlike any other people I have seen in concert. So don't just Poo Poo the idea. I think it is a great idea. Maybe you never got to see them live in which case your comments would smack of jealousy. You go ahead TheLastSpartan I would be willing as I'm sure many more on this forum would to tell of their experiences of Led Zeppelin concerts, what they felt like atmosphere, excitement, the moment they walked on stage, and anything else that happened at the concert.For me, Liverpool Stadium 29 November 1971 will remain with me forever.

exactly Joe! You've got it....... But shit, if you're older that 45, Steve says you, and everyone else over 45 probably won't remember the experience (That is probably the most f-ed up sentence from a non-troll I have ever read around here lol...goofy!)...........anyway, all I was trying to add earlier, is that seeing someone talk about an experience (possibly in a DVD Documentary format) can add to simply just reading the same story in a text-format like this forum......

You possibly have three unique stories to tell based on your experiences. I would for sure read them but seeing them spoken, along with others might be pretty cool........cheers

Ok, go ahead Steve, what ya got next, a Selena Gomez video? lol.....

I think it's a great idea, and I don't think fan age (or availability of first hand accounts) has anything to do with the quality of the final product. What I really find difficult, if not unsurmountable as an obstacle, is the coordination of people scattered over different continents and the respecting of timetables, targets and delivery dates, that would require great ability and leadership.

On the other hand, there are technologies today that would allow a viewer to build his / her own documentary by assembling disparate video/audio portions stocked on a web page, thus people would have the choice to leave the oh my good comments, add or delete documentary blocks depending on individual preferences.

That is true, although I don't know if they would be willing, or have the means, to do a video of them talking about their experiences, but of course that is just the pessimist in my talking, haha. Thanks for the luck! I could do something with this perhaps, even if it takes baby steps.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind if I, or someone else, decides to do a take on this!

As far as another idea I had, it would be that the documentary is released in parts, like 68-72, 73-75, 77-79, and 80-today.

...TLS, we're just talking here. At this point, it;s just for fun, but with technology now, I think it could be pretty easy to do....

I think it's a great idea, and I don't think fan age (or availability of first hand accounts) has anything to do with the quality of the final product. What I really find difficult, if not unsurmountable as an obstacle, is the coordination of people scattered over different continents and the respecting of timetables, targets and delivery dates, that would require great ability and leadership.

On the other hand, there are technologies today that would allow a viewer to build his / her own documentary by assembling disparate video/audio portions stocked on a web page, thus people would have the choice to leave the oh my good comments, add or delete documentary blocks depending on individual preferences.

really well said...better than my attempt...cheers

Okay, so I've had this idea swimming around in my head for the past few days. Basically, the idea is is that fans come together and use their knowledge, pictures and videos to make a highly detail documentary on Led Zeppelin. I am not really sure if any documentaries exist, I'm sure there is at least one or a few, but this fan made one would be as accurate as possible, being made by die hard fans and such. This isn't necessarily a thread on "Lets do it guys!", but more of a throwing around of the idea of such a thing. The use? To introduce people to Led Zeppelin, they want to learn more, show em' the video, plus it would give the fans something fun to do while we wait for those re-releases of the catalog with bonus tracks, and who knows, maybe the Led Zeppelin guys would take notice if we did it well enough and got enough views. So, what do you guys think? Also, it could have guest speakers alongside the main speakers, like some people who witness them first hand, them tell their concert experiences, what it was like and such.

Sounds like a good idea

Archived