Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Pizza Man !! What an outstanding deal ! Inge, Thames, and maybe Durbin are now on the block for some middle relief help.

121309.jpg

Screw the evil empires !!

My hope is that Dombro tries to package Durbin and Inge and perhaps either Virgil Vazquez or Jordan Tata to Colorado for Brian Fuentes as a set-up guy since Zumaya can't seem to keep his dumb ass healthy.

Andruw Jones to the Dodgers, good or bad? Discuss.

Well, depends on which Andruw Jones the Dodgers are getting. Assuming 2007 was an anomaly and he'll bounce back from his .222 year, it's probably a good move. He's only a .263 career hitter, but you're getting good defense and power numbers. In 2005 he hit 51 HR's and 128 RBI's, and in 2006 he had 41 HR's and 129 RBI's. $18 million a year is probably a bit much even for those numbers, but they probably figure they have to go out and get some star power now that they have Joe Torre.

Baltimore and Washington,D.C. are two seperate and distinct areas;I don't give a fuck what the Census people say,they just are.The geographic distance between the two may not be all that great,but they might as well be two seperate countries.

As far as D.C. getting a team (again) I wish them the best.At the very least;it'll keep the fuckin' idiots who only go to baseball games as a status symbol,and spend the whole entire game with a cellphone/Bluetooth attached to their ear,out of the best seats at the Yard.

I just can't stand it that people jumped ship (from the Orioles) when the Nationals came around.

I pretty much commute back and forth between the DC area (Silver Spring) and the Baltimore area (Timonium) every day, so I see what you mean by two different countries.

I favor both teams because there's just not enough local baseball to go around for me!

Years before the Nationals came and everyone thought they'd be the Senators, I was like "more baseball? hells yeah come on over"

a lot of people were enthusiastic too, but I didn't think they'd abandon the Orioles as quickly as they did.

I think Angelos made rooting for the Orioles a sour thing, and that's why people left his cause.

But I still love them.

I just hope that Angelos doesn't try to sell the team to a different market or something. I would invite him to sell it to someone else from Baltimore, because whatever he's doing just doesn't work.

Although, it is a tough division, so who knows what the answers are.

as an outsider who is not too familiar with Baltimore or their team, seems like it's been quiet over there and not much to root for since Ripken's retirement. He was the face of that organization for a long time, and his pursuit of the streak brought a lot of publicity to the Orioles and Camden Yards. Now, I probably couldn't name 2 players on the Orioles...Tejada, and who else? Oh, and I remember Jamie Walker went there after leaving the Tigers, and had a pretty good year as I understand it...

The Astros actually gave up some decent prospects for Tejada, particularly Troy Patton, who's been compared to Mark Beuhrle, and Michael Costanzo, decent power-hitting 1B. Tejada's been declining since 2004.

Im waiting for the Giants to pull the trigger, and give us Tim Lincecum.

Hey Mets fans, enjoy having a great catcher in Brian Schneider! And on behalf of the Nationals, you're welcome. You get Ryan Church out of the deal too; sorry to see both of these guys leave DC.

I have no idea who this dude Lastings Milledge is. Guess he played 52 games for the Mets last year. Hope he's worth giving up two of my favorite Nats.

You don't know Lasting Milledge? He was #7 on Baseball America's Top 100 list in 2006, he's a potential five-tool all-star...Load of potential, and an absolute steal for the Nationals. The Mets already made one dumb move giving up Kazmir, this will be another one.

Have fun with Elijah Dukes too...the super psycho headcase.

You don't know Lasting Milledge? He was #7 on Baseball America's Top 100 list in 2006, he's a potential five-tool all-star...Load of potential, and an absolute steal for the Nationals. The Mets already made one dumb move giving up Kazmir, this will be another one.

Yeah, I must admit that while I'm a huge Nats fan, I don't keep up with the players on any other teams. I hear we're getting Lo Duca as well!

Milledge wasn't exactly the picture of professionalism, either. Didn't hustle, called out by teammates for acting like a prima donna, that whole rap song fiasco. And the Mets got two really good pieces in Schneider and Church (especially with how desperate they were for a C). That trade is a VERY far stretch to compare him to Kazmir-for-Victor Zambrano. No. 1 left-handed starters are a lot harder to find than a middle of the road OF.

Milledge wasn't exactly the picture of professionalism, either. Didn't hustle, called out by teammates for acting like a prima donna, that whole rap song fiasco. And the Mets got two really good pieces in Schneider and Church (especially with how desperate they were for a C). That trade is a VERY far stretch to compare him to Kazmir-for-Victor Zambrano. No. 1 left-handed starters are a lot harder to find than a middle of the road OF.

Well, yeah sure Milledge has had some attitude problems, but you cant deny his upside. And calling him a middle of the road OF is quite absurd. He has the potential to be a .300-25-100-20SB type of guy. Obviously, it isnt as bad as Kazmir, considering he's an Ace lefty with unlimited potential, but still. Schiender is a 32 year old catcher who is merely average, and Church is a decent OF, but nothing special. This could basically good either way...Milledge could reach his potential, or he doesn't. But the way Kazmir turned out, they better hope for the latter.

Well, yeah sure Milledge has had some attitude problems, but you cant deny his upside. And calling him a middle of the road OF is quite absurd. He has the potential to be a .300-25-100-20SB type of guy. Obviously, it isnt as bad as Kazmir, considering he's an Ace lefty with unlimited potential, but still. Schiender is a 32 year old catcher who is merely average, and Church is a decent OF, but nothing special. This could basically good either way...Milledge could reach his potential, or he doesn't. But the way Kazmir turned out, they better hope for the latter.

Schneider is a proven, above average to great as a game-caller, though. Much better than any of the choices on the open market. Milledge could become the next Dermal (Dee) Brown or Eric Anthony. Remember them? They had the exact same potential.

I just can't stand it that people jumped ship (from the Orioles) when the Nationals came around.

I pretty much commute back and forth between the DC area (Silver Spring) and the Baltimore area (Timonium) every day, so I see what you mean by two different countries.

I favor both teams because there's just not enough local baseball to go around for me!

Years before the Nationals came and everyone thought they'd be the Senators, I was like "more baseball? hells yeah come on over"

a lot of people were enthusiastic too, but I didn't think they'd abandon the Orioles as quickly as they did.

I think Angelos made rooting for the Orioles a sour thing, and that's why people left his cause.

But I still love them.

I just hope that Angelos doesn't try to sell the team to a different market or something. I would invite him to sell it to someone else from Baltimore, because whatever he's doing just doesn't work.

Although, it is a tough division, so who knows what the answers are.

I grew up in Silver Spring;and moved to Baltimore as soon as I could.

Angelos definately made rooting for the Orioles a sour thing;because he's doing the best he can to kill the Oriole Way.It's heartbreaking to see a once proud,truly great franchise going the way it has been these past ten years (and counting).

But I still love 'em too;and I'll be there next March.

Despite the declining numbers;I think that if Angelos tried to sell the team to a different market,he'd be run out of town in a flash.The team still means so much to so many people around here,it's not going to happen.

One thing I think is a good sign is the fact that the uppper tier of the organization has been shuffled around a bit.

The fact that so many people abandoned the Orioles as soon as the Nats came to town is further indication that baseball is a big thing in D.C.,as it should be,and more proof that the Orioles are a Baltimore team.

In other words..........Put "Baltimore" back on the road jerseys!!!

Schneider is a proven, above average to great as a game-caller, though. Much better than any of the choices on the open market. Milledge could become the next Dermal (Dee) Brown or Eric Anthony. Remember them? They had the exact same potential.

I'm not trying to knock Schiender or Church, but based on my personal opinion, and the opinion of almost every GM around the league (as I read in some reports), I couldn't believe the Mets gave him for so litle in return. Remember that he nearly the centerpiece in a deal with Oakland for Barry Zito, which is quite a significant return compared to Schieder or Church.

I'm not trying to knock Schiender or Church, but based on my personal opinion, and the opinion of almost every GM around the league (as I read in some reports), I couldn't believe the Mets gave him for so litle in return. Remember that he nearly the centerpiece in a deal with Oakland for Barry Zito, which is quite a significant return compared to Schieder or Church.

The thing is, word travels fast in baseball, and everyone knows what Milledge id about. Even my friends at the lowest rungs of front-offices heard the stories about LM, so the GMs who were surprised also were the same ones who weren't offering anything for him. And there's a reason the Mets wanted rid of him - he's cancerous in a clubhouse. I mean, look at how th at team finished the season.

The thing is, word travels fast in baseball, and everyone knows what Milledge id about. Even my friends at the lowest rungs of front-offices heard the stories about LM, so the GMs who were surprised also were the same ones who weren't offering anything for him. And there's a reason the Mets wanted rid of him - he's cancerous in a clubhouse. I mean, look at how th at team finished the season.

Well I don't think the Mets choke was directly related to Lastings Milledge, but who knows. It obviously a risk for Nationals, but could pay huge dividents.

And if you want to talk about problematic players the Nationals are bringing in, look past Milledge to Elijah Dukes. Now that guy's a cancer.

I heard that when they negotiated Duke's contract, they offered him a choice: $500,000 and a case of condoms, or $380,000. He actually chose less money just to avoid the condoms. True story!

Haha really? Hasn't he gotten like 15 women pregnant? Not to mention threatened to kill his girlfriend, and sent her a picture of his gun. That guy is messed, such a waste of talent.

Yeah, you'd think after one 'oopsie', you'd learn your lesson. Maybe even two. But beyond that, you're just a massive idiot.

My buddies and I refer to that as "Open Loop Learning". Meaning, when any behavior happens, there's a consequence, and you take that as feedback, which dictates your next behavior...hence a "feedback loop". But when you never learn anything, and don't take that consequence as feedback, and do the same thing again, the loop doesn't close, it just remains open. So "Open Loop Learning". I'd say he's a classic example.

The report comes out today...

The Mitchell Report

MVPs, All-Stars among 60-80 players to be named

Associated Press December 13, 2007

NEW YORK - The Mitchell Report exposes a "serious drug culture within baseball, from top to bottom," fingers Most Valuable Players and All-Stars and calls for beefed-up testing by an outside agency to clean up the game, the Associated Press learned yesterday.

The report by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will include names of 60 to 80 players linked to performance-enhancing substances and other information that exposes "deep problems" afflicting the sport, one of two sources with knowledge of the findings said. Both sources said the report wouldn't address amphetamines.

The two sources were familiar with discussions that led to the final draft but did not want to be identified because it was confidential until its scheduled release today. They said the full report, which they had not read, totaled 304 pages plus exhibits.

One person familiar with the final version would speak only anonymously but described it as "a very thorough treatment of the subject" and said some aspects were surprising. He said the report assigns blame to both the commissioner's office and the players' union.

MLB's "not going to love it, the union's not going to love it," he said.

The report comes at the end of a year when San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds broke the career home run record, only to be indicted three months later on charges of lying to a federal grand jury about steroid use.

One source said that while the report cites problems "top to bottom," it also exposes "deep problems, the number of players, high-level MVPs and All-Stars" and clubhouse personnel who allowed steroids and other banned substances in clubhouses or knew about it and said nothing.

None of the player names had leaked last night.

The rest of the report, the sources said, will focus on recommendations that include enhanced year-round testing and hiring a drug-testing company that uses the highest standards of independence and transparency.

The report also is expected to recommend that baseball develop a credible program to handle cases with evidence of athletes receiving or taking drugs but not testing positive for them.

Mitchell, a Boston Red Sox director, planned to release his report at 2 p.m. today at a news conference in New York.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig will hold his own news conference 2 1/2 hours later.

Baseball did not have an agreement to ban steroids until September 2002, did not have testing with penalties until 2004 and did not ban hGH until 2005, when it also instituted a suspension for a first positive test.

Much of the first part of the report will be based on evidence obtained from former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski, and from information gleaned from the Albany district attorney's investigation into illegal drug distribution that focused on Signature Pharmacy of Orlando, Fla., the sources said. The New York Times reported that a third source of names, not previously disclosed, was also used in formulating the report.

Archived