Zepplelins Triangle

McSeven

When I hear of band and their peers. Usually the Rock press put these bands in threes. For example. The Rolling Stones are usually grouped with The Beatles and The Who as they basically all started at the same time.

With Hendrix its usually CCR and The Doors.

So who is Zeppelin with in your view? Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Or are they with Pink Floyd/Queen. Whats your take. I put LZ with DP and BS.

Pink Floyd are too early and Queen are too late. Even though Purple started well before Zeppelin, generally speaking, they are the 3 who regularly spoken in this way. And regarding your point that if you like one you will like all 3, well that's just a no no. I know many people who like one and dislike the other (s). Hey Strider what do you make of Deep Purple?? ;)

The Reason I made this post was that I hear other artist make statements on the state of Rock and Roll and I like to get the oppinions of the fans take. Like when I hear Glenn Hughes from BBC talk about the bands that grew out of the Black Country of England. He says that the common kinship they had was that they grew up sort of poor. Or that is how it came up to me, yet they all the bands that grew up there as children, were able to make it big.

I love Zeppelin. I have been into them since 1988. Its just that when I hear Rock jounalists talk about Rock and Roll. They usually group LZ away from the Beatles/The Who/R Stones. Plus I hear a lot of people site LZ as an influence. I have been listeing to a lot of Rival Sons. They are bombarded with the Zep comparisons.

I also don't care for typecasting or categorizing

I would say Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix because they all started in the late 60s, they all had a heavy blues rock sound and because of their popularity at the time.

In this situation I would want to include the Jeff Beck group to make it four .

If I was to expand the grouping I would include blue cheer, vanilla fudge, humble pie, Deep Purple, early Sabbath, maybe early Fleetwood Mac and I'm probably forgetting some. Building from the heavy blues rock framework ... Then I think we can look and see where each of these artists progressed to from that heavy blues rock beginning. And of course with Zeppelin there was a broad template if you will right from the very first album with the folk, acoustic guitar, world music influences.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Stormbringer are you saying that if you like Zeppelin. You most likley will like Purple and Sabbath?

Im saying that if you wanna make trios, eg. putting three bands together based on how close they are to each other with time they played in (or started), music style, popularity among certain people etc... then Led Zeppelin should be grouped with Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

For me, these three were always top three. And Led Zeppelin always a top 1 among them. So ye, I also thing that if u like Led Zeppelin, you will be more likely to like Purple and Sabbath then lets say a Britney Spears :)))). But its not what you should imply from what I said previously. Got it? :D.

I wouldn't put Zeppelin anywhere near Black Sabbath.

1968 young guys from England form a band and become famous. All the world is at their feet, they drink, they drug, they sex, they party, they enjoy life. Music, addictions, serious health and drug problems, but yet again... music. They were friends too. I dont think their story is that apart...

And musically?If u stick to ROCK, they were both very very different (one was a bluesy rock, other was heave, hard rock). If you stick to MUSIC, they were pretty similar (both were simply rock and roll).

So yeah, if ur musical freak, and wanna look into it only musically from one point of view of who played what and how, then yes, dont put them near. If u wanna use just slightly wider retrospective, then, pardon me, but they are pretty close.

Thanks for the patronising response but I just happen to disagree with you completely - am sure that's allowed.

Sure its allowed. If my response seemed like something else then explaning my point of view ONLY, then sorry, I sometines cant EXACTLY express myself in english since its not my first language.

Understood - many apologies. Sometimes on this site it seems people are determined that you are wrong if you don't agree with them, and that you should like all rock bands because you like Led Zeppelin. I didn't take your language barrier into account ( which is a backhanded compliment I suppose ;) ) so I do apologise, and just respectfully disagree.

Zeppelin are their own triangular pyramid, with the vertices being Bonham, Jones, Plant and Page. 3-dimensional because of the depth of their music and a pyramid because they stand on their own! :yesnod:

I think that there are a few ways to approach the question.

For fans of great Rhythm Sections: Rush and The Who can be paired with Zeppelin

For fans of Blues and fantastic guitar riffs: Cream and Hendrix

For fans of Heavier Rock: Sabbath and Deep Purple

For fans of diversity and sound: Pink Floyd and Aerosmith (had to put these guys somewhere)

For pure devotion and sheer number of fans: The Beatles, The Dead, The Stones

Archived