Which Concert?

Northstar

even if it was Louisville or the 3rd night in Landover?

You bet...John Paul Jones said it: "Even at our worst we were still better than most" :lol:

Even the mediocre '77 performances (like Louisville or Landover) would have been worth it for the experience of actually seeing the band play...

The concert in Belfast, Northern Ireland where they played "Stairway to Heaven" for the first time. I believe it was in early 1971. Just to hear the song in its original incarnation and to be able to say, "I was there!".

You bet...John Paul Jones said it: "Even at our worst we were still better than most" :lol:

Even the mediocre '77 performances (like Louisville or Landover) would have been worth it for the experience of actually seeing the band play...

Agreed. The third night in Landover actually features a pretty decent version of SIBLY imo. No Quarter also isn't too bad but it is a bit disjointed in parts. I'll agree with Nutrocker on this one (as I seem to on a lot of things), any '77 show would do it for me.

Really cool choice Feline Overlord, a concert with no bootleg to reference it. The link in your post to a great article about the performance is simply wonderful, sounds like it was an excellent concert.

Really cool choice Feline Overlord, a concert with no bootleg to reference it. The link in your post to a great article about the performance is simply wonderful, sounds like it was an excellent concert.

That was a very good and interesting article to read. I do believe that Ann and Nancy Wilson, later of Heart, were in attendance at this very gig.

I was out at the park today, and while only one section of the stands is still there, you can still sit, smell the smoke, and imagine that Led Zeppelin is playing 50 feet in front of you. That article really gives you a sense of what it was like.

That was a very good and interesting article to read. I do believe that Ann and Nancy Wilson, later of Heart, were in attendance at this very gig.

Yes, they were! I'd heard that this was one of the shows that inspired them to be musicians.

The Seattle Pop Festival on 27 July 1969 would be pretty cool to see too; Eric Burdon, The Byrds, Chicago, Guess Who, Santana, Spirit, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin, among others. Years ago, I'd heard that this show was recorded but was being hoarded. Seems it would have come out by now if it was.

Any concerts in LA forum of 1977. And it would be great that my seat was near the one of Mike Millard.

Why near Millard, exactly? Sure, he had damn good seats, obviously (pretending to be handicapped/having a wheelchair pretty much guarantees you good seats) and state of the art recording equipment but from most accounts Millard wasn't the nicest guy in the world personality wise. I get the impression Mike had a few 'issues', shall we say...chief among them a paranoia streak that woulda done Richard Nixon proud.

Ask forum member Strider about witnessing the LA '77 shows firsthand...the lucky son of a bitch :lol:

While I'm tempted to pick the one 1977 Forum show I didn't see, the June 22 date, wherein I would ask Millard to borrow his wheelchair and Nakamichi gear for the show so we could have a great audience tape for that night, after thinking about it some more, I think I would like to go back to one of the early gigs where they played rarities.

A show like May 3, 1971 Copenhagen...to hear "Four Sticks" with Plant's voice still in his prime would have exploded my mind.

Or the evening show at Madison Square Garden on September 19, 1970. Now, there's a truly historic show.

I would have liked to have been sitting next to the taper at the September 14, 1971 Berkeley show, so I could tell him to stop stopping the tape...I would have extra blank C-90s handy so we could have the complete concert from that night.

Or perhaps one of the Whisky shows in January 1969, so I could see them raw and young, when Jimmy still played the Dragon Telecaster with that marvelous fuzz tone. And I could hook up with Miss Pamela!

Hi Kingzoso this June 23,1977 show was a good one for me to as i was the one person seating 3rd row sec b seat 3 and 4 that caught the tambourine that moon threw out to the audience during Bonzo's drum solo and what was suprizing was nobody around me jumped out to catch it i couldnt believe it and i have a ? did Moon puncture one of Bonham's drum tympani just for spite ? Moon was a mess i can't remember moon playing at all but yes the tambourine printed Made in England

I think that I would choose the June, 23, 1977 Led Zeppelin "For Badge-Holders Only" concert.

For two reasons:

This was the gig that Keith Moon played with Led Zeppelin

and

This concert was over 3 hours in duration.

I although I know and Love all the early concerts by Led Zeppelin that I have heard on bootlegs, I would rather see a LZ concert that is over 3 hours long compared to an early LZ gig that was less than or around about an hour.

To me 180 minutes of Led Zeppelin is better than 60 minutes of Led Zeppelin.

Plus, imagine the "after-party" that occurred when this 3+ hour concert ended. Chicks, Booze, Drugs and the Music. To me, that is the very definition of "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll".

Archived